Stowers Institute For Medical Research

Stowers Institute For Medical Research Reviews

Updated Jan 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stowers Institute For Medical Research President & CEO David M. Chao, Ph.D.

David M. Chao, Ph.D.

Summer intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I worked at Stowers Institute For Medical Research full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing facility and great collaboration

ConsNone that I can think of

Great place to work!

I have been working at Stowers Institute For Medical Research

ProsGreat work environment; great benefits; some level of advancement possible.

ConsThe only con that I can think of is that there is not that much room for advancement.

Good place to get work done

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Stowers Institute For Medical Research full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEverything you need to do science is here

ConsInstitute is of the highest caliber but it is less well known than others it competes with simply because it is newer and relatively small.

Great work environment, over worked and under paid

I have been working at Stowers Institute For Medical Research full-time

ProsGood work environment; inhouse cafe and gum; decent health benefit

Consover worked (overtime with no pay)
under titled and under paid
litte future growth

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees reasonable salary; give more opportunity to motivate your employees. It seems like lot of employees are stuck in their current position.

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Stowers Institute For Medical Research

ProsGreat benefits and work environment.

ConsI have no complaints regarding Stowers.

Working there for more than 1 years under lots of pressure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Stowers Institute For Medical Research

Prosnice working office, lots of free food and beverage at Fridays, quite good food, and good chance to learn new stuff

Conspeople are not friendly, people at lower level have lots of pressure. salary is quite low for lower level position.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax people.

One of the greatest places to work as a scientist

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Stowers Institute For Medical Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Extremely good support for research. Any experiment you want to do, they will find a way for you to do it. The core facilities are incredible. All equipment from pipettes to desktop computers to confocal microscopes is top of the line and very well maintained.
- Beautiful facility, very good cafe, gym, outdoor areas, library. Fitness classes, English lessons, professional development (training for presentations, learning about alternative careers, etc). Free espresso, lattes, fancy loose leaf tea 24 hours a day! Easy free parking.
- Good benefits, health, dental, retirement. Employees get an additional 15% on top of salary added to a retirement account each year.
-Collegial atmosphere. Sense of collaboration, no great need to sheild your work for fear of colleagues stealing results.

ConsThere's only one con which is difficulty of maintaining work/life balance for students and postodocs. The students in my lab work literally 12-14 hours/day, every day, which at $24k for KU students comes out to much less than minimum wage. This is not forced, it's just the atmosphere of the lab - everyone wants to get ahead and not fall behind. The Pricipal Investigators are the best in their fields, they have acheived a lot and they expect a lot. This is fairly standard at a high level research institute and I think it is somewhat better than average at Stowers, where the Institue at least allows 3 months paid maternity leave even to students, and provides a room for pumping/breastfeeding and a room with tv and games where kids can hang out if you have to bring them in on the weekend. Things are a lot easier for Institute employees, such as core group members and technicians. Those generally work a 40 hour week and no weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is really good about listening to requests directly.

really good.. very friendly environment

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

Prosgood and smart colleagues, great work environment, good funding for research, core facilities very helpful

Conspost-docs not eligible for independent funding, no positions similar to a RAP (Research Assistant Professor) - a position usually available in universities.

enjoyable working environment and wonderful people

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

ProsCore facility is really supportive so that you can focus on more difficult experiments. Lab managements are good. People are super easy to collaborate.

ConsNot a very interesting place. Not many other medical research institutes or universities nearby.

Get place to work!

I have been working at Stowers Institute For Medical Research

ProsThis is really a great place to work. Everyone is so respectful and professional and I love that we have a cafe and gym on site.

ConsSome of the day to day work can be very routine and it is quite easy to get bored or feel like a robot, but then again there is always something new to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is really a great place to come to work and the majority of the team members are really proud of what we accomplish!

Worked for Stowers Institute For Medical Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stowers Institute For Medical Research reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stowers Institute For Medical Research CEO David M. Chao, Ph.D. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Stowers Institute For Medical Research employees.