Strack & Van Til

David Wilkinson

A Good Job When You Need Work

Current Employee - Cashier in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are great. Even 99% of the customers are very nice. The store is well run, clean and well stocked. Management is willing to work with you for your scheduling needs.

Cons

The schedule is put out each week for the following week, makes it hard to balance work & life. Many times the schedule is late and we wait till Saturday or (less often) Sunday for it to come out. Part-time is mandatory. Low pay and you stand for long hours at a time. Short 15 minute breaks. Expect your feet to hurt even in comfortable shoes.

Would be nice to have the schedule out on time each week. Actual preformance reviews where you sit down with someone and discuss how you stack up and how to improve would be nice as well.

Company could do better

Current Employee - Utility Clerk
    Current Employee - Utility Clerk

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than an year)

Pros

To be honest the only pros working here are they are good at working with you and your schedule. Also, the people you work with for the most part are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Over worked and under payed. No one gives full effort.

If you truly cared about your employees, you'd pay them more than a lousy $7.50/ hour.

I was a customer service manager for a year.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Highland, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Highland, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are overall very flexible with work hours and vacation time. The people who work there are great and easy to get along with/work with.

Cons

Petty fights/issues between co-workers were common. The pay scale is sadly incredibly low for the amount of work. Vacation days/medical insurance coverage only begin after a year and a half. It unionized so you have to pay dues on top of the low hourly wage.

Good family values

Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management treats employees fairly. Union Job that guarantees hours.

Cons

Disconnect between young and old workers. You are expected to do a lot for a minimum wage job.

I'm overworked, underpaid, and feel like they've taken advantage of me.

Current Employee - Cashier in Saint John, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saint John, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only good thing about this job is that it's a union job, and because it's a union job it guarantees you hours. And you can be eligible for health insurance through the union. But that's about it. I like the majority of my coworkers well enough.

Cons

This may be a union job, but there is a stipulation that says you can't go on strike if you feel the work conditions are unfair. Health insurance is offered, but utility clerks aren't eligible for it, despite being the ones who probably need it the most. There isn't much room for moving up in the company, and even if you do decide you want to move up to a CSM position, you only get a 50-cent bump in hourly pay. If you are in college, they say they'll work around your college schedule, but they don't do a very good job at it. When customers get upset with the cashier for some unknown reason (despite being provided with excellent customer service), the management will never have the cashier's back and make the cashier look bad, which is not very good for morale. Upper management seems to be out of touch with their employees. The work hours are erratic; one week they'll load the hours on your, and the next you'll be lucky if you get the minimum amount. If you have to call off for an emergency, they give you a hard time about it. I had to call off three days during the epic snowstorm earlier in 2014; three roads around me were closed due to the snow and cold, and whenever I called in to call off, they gave me SUCH a hard time about not trying to make it to work. And they cut corners every opportunity they can. They schedule the bare minimum of cashiers at a time, and when it gets busy, CSMs and managers have to hop on registers to help ring customers up. Then they have to start calling the STOCKERS to the registers to help ring customers up, all because they're too stingy with hours and don't want to schedule any more cashiers than they think they need. When a CSM is on a register ringing a customer up, then good luck seeing if any of the other cashiers need assistance with voids or dealing with an upset customer. I've had my breaks delayed up to 45 minutes because of this. It's even worse when it's not busy and the CSMs are just standing around in the service desk gossiping and doing not much of anything. CSMs also won't crack down on anyone who won't do their jobs on the front end (mainly the utility clerks). The cashiers are stuck doing half of their own bagging since the utility clerks are slacking off and CSMs aren't cracking down on them. Then the customers feel they have to go help bag their own orders since there are no utility clerks around to do it, and then they complain that it's like shopping at a competitor that offers no carryout service but they pay more here.

You need to be more accessible to your employees. You need to have regular staff meetings with them. You need to listen to them when they have problems. A lot of employees are unhappy and miserable, and ignoring them isn't helping store morale. Also, quit cutting corners with the scheduling and wasting money on things we don't really need around the store.

good

Former Employee - Baker in Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Baker in Hammond, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

promise management but never do

more customer service

More good then bad. Most of my co-workers are nice.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Lake, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Lake, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some flexibility with the scheduling, I get at least 20 hrs a week, paid time and half on some holidays. Part time stockers and cashiers can get health insurance after 2 years. Union stores. Paid breaks and they make sure their people take their breaks. The store is kept clean and it looks nice.

Cons

Low pay. Have to pay union dues. Sometimes store manager can be tough to deal with. One CSM/Cashier is related to one of our managers and she can be crabby and difficult to deal with. That CSM/cashier gets away with being bossy with some of our other managers and she gets treated more favorably then the other cashiers.

The company shouldn't allow its managers to have their relatives work at the same store with them. (A managers father, daughter, niece or son-in-law, etc should not be working with them at the same store.)

not great, not horrible

Former Employee - Deli Clerk
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk

I worked at Strack & Van Til part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any pros, although some of the people I worked with were pretty good

Cons

Terrible manager in the deli dept. If you weren't on her good side, watch out--worst shifts and aleays looking for something wrong.

Decent salary, comfortable work environment, but don't value their employees

I have been working at Strack & Van Til

Pros

Good benefits, offers insurance to most employees, and the work environment is friendly and helpful.

Cons

Upper management and corporate doesn't value their employees, also this company used to be a family based friend,y company and is now more a corporate company fixed on expanding and getting money. But not giving anymore to their employees.

Very little regard to the individual.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crown Point, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crown Point, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work, you get hours, not terribly boring. Some managers and co workers were very helpful and knew what they were doing.

Cons

The management is very close minded to suggestions and seemingly corrupt. They're content to sweep an issue under the carpet as oppose to addressing it. Our back room was a disaster, always overstocked and never organized. An absolute pig stye. We often find items that expired years ago, and no one seemed to care. I had to call off several days for military reasons, and they are legally not allowed to penalize me for this. What do they do? Write me up and claim the company is more important than my military obligations. Also, the gossip situation is rampant. We have two managers in particular who will stand up front for a half hour at a time and whine or gossip about other employees and their personal lives. I've even had costumes point this out. I actually left the front end for a position in the back because I was so sick of the constant gossip and whining about little things instead of sucking it up and dealing with it. I could go on about many other issues, but these were the most prevalent. Also, doing the garbage was hideously gross. No one else will change a bag, just pile it on. Many of the other employees were demoralized and cared little because of these problems.

Listen to suggestions, learn that some of us trying to make a career outside your store (military in my case) and be flexible, clean up the back room, and stop acting like a bunch of middle schoolers.