Strack & Van Til Reviews

Ken Diehl

customer service???

Current Employee - Front End in Schererville, IN
    Current Employee - Front End in Schererville, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers, even from the other departments, a real sense of a close (yet dysfunctional) family

Cons

Working with the public!! Nepotism, favoritism, and promoting the laziest employees because they're a "friend" of yours ...Dave Wilkinson retiring and acquiring a new CEO whom wipes out the "good" managers and leaves the "bad" while bringing in his "own people" .....I'll stop there, I can go on forever.

Advice to Management

Actually come out of your offices and engage with your customers and employees. Communicating only when there's something wrong isn't the way to go.

never again

Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really loved my job despite the fact that they kept adding responsibilities with no raise, but this is a non union store and that's what happens. My store manager was great. Coworkers were awesome as well.

Cons

The scheduling manager is an absolute control freak. She will tell you if you ask for a day or so off that they don't work around your life, even if you have kids. The store would be better off without her!

Advice to Management

The only reason every one of you gets away with the crap you pull, with the exception of the store manager himself, is because the store is non union. You need to get lives and look at things through the eyes of your employees!!!

3. Disappointing

I have been working at Strack & Van Til full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The image of what it used to be is the only thing keeping me going

Cons

This used to be the place to work. Now its the laughing stock in the grocery industry. When you walk into any one of the 30 stores, the morale is just bad! All you hear are the employees complaining, and managers barking. I've worked happily within these walls only to now be targeted and pushed around by the new so called "bosses", or Gods as they see themselves. They curse and yell at you on daily basis, and continue to get away with it. When you call the HR dept to complain, they don't even get back to you. There is no communication and no one has answers (i think its so they don't have to be responsible) We have to follow these "bibles" that are just silly.. upper management walks around frantically tuesday and wednesdays making sure everything is done to the T, probably so they don't get yelled at by the hot shots with goatees and suits. We are forced to work longer hours-with no pay difference - told what time to take our lunch, and told what day to take off, and if we have a personal reason for being off then we are "not dedicated and not part of the team" I've been told that i couldn't take a planned vacation because sales are down, and need to focus more to build sales, then worry about vacation, yet my boss who has only been in this company a couple of months has already taken vacation time, probably with pay i must add. So if you want to work with people that don't care enough about you to even learn your name, or they tell you what you want to hear-then do the complete opposite, work with people who never communicate with you-then yell when its not what they want, then this is the place for you. I would love to know the number of people who have been forced out, fired, or quit since this "hostel take over" the number has to be well in the hundreds! very sad!

Advice to Management

Talk to some of the people you FORCED out, they actually knew how to treat thier employees and the customers. Maybe they can tell you how to fix things This used to be a LOCAL grocery store, our leaders grew up and worked in the stores. They knew how things worked, they knew peoples names, they knew customers names. They generally cared about the people in the stores and in the communities. The new CEO and his whole group of arrogant useless team members he's brought with him needs to go before they ruin the image Strack & VanTil worked so hard to build. its almost gone!!!

5. New CEO Makes Terrible Company

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Strack & Van Til

Pros

Nothing anymore, New CEO eliminating jobs to show profits, Managers with over 35 yrs are told good bye or they ship them so far away to make them quit. Im surprised this isn't on the news. These new directors are being paid to show more money for the store and its ant the employees cost, then they raise prices and higher cheaper replaced help.They treat people like their not human. DO NOT SUPPORT STRAC & VAN TIL, ULTRA FOODS, not the same company anymore

Cons

Low pay for the new people replacing the ones that help build the company. Treated like crap, be their robots or get fired

Advice to Management

If your one of the few left find a better company to work for

6. Responsibilities and expectations are increasing, the pay isn't.

Current Employee - Cashier in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good for students. Good if your retired with nothing to do. The customers are typically easy to deal with.

Cons

Terrible pay, hardly any hours, expected to give "100%" for minimum wage. Worst of all, at the particular one I work at (calumet ave.) we are non union and only get a 15 minute break our entire shift, which I and the rest of my co workers to be absolutely outrageous.

Advice to Management

You all need to go.

Ultra Foods Highland, In

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til

Pros

No Pro's any longer, company went down the day Dave Wilkinson had to retire (FORCED) no matter what anyone says. DON'T WORK HERE OR SUPPORT THESE STORES

Cons

The work experience at Strack & Van Til aka Ultra Foods is not a positive one!!! Low pay-No Benefits-more like a sweat shop from the 1930's Dave Wilkinson is no longer CEO, He stepped down FORCED OUT!!!! and many others, By this new company, Yep they keep the name Strack & Van Til's, Ultra Foods, Town & Country because the names are good, but they are running those names in the ground.

Advice to Management

All the new management are inexperienced, overpaid, arrogant, with no direction. The Strack & Van Family has to be crying with the changes these new inexperienced goof are running their hard works into the ground

Terrible

I worked at Strack & Van Til

Pros

Tips for carry out were pretty good. That is pretty much the only good

Cons

Going out in bad weather, managers rude bad pay for what is expected from us

Advice to Management

be more respectful to employees.

Terrible management!

Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Chesterton, IN
    Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Chesterton, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til

Pros

My coworkers are fun and hardworking. They make working there good despite management. Some of the customers are a pleasure to help.

Cons

The pay is low, management is always on our backs about something they think we did wrong. We get no discounts, no pat on the back, only a kick in the rear end for all our hard work. No communication, they just expect us to read their minds. Constantly changing things confusing us and the customers. They schedule once a week but still can't get it out on time, how are we supposed to make appointments or just have a life. When management comes out of their office, they don't smile or say hello, instead they stand around watching and gossiping and acting like we are all scum.

Advice to Management

In a friendly way, get to know your employees. Compliment them, smile at them, treat them like the good, hardworking people they are and if you can't bring yourself to do that, just stay in your office and let them do their job. Get them better pay and discounts and a bonus once in a while. In other words, treat them how you would like to be treated, I'm sure you would be pleasantly surprised at the turn around in their attitudes toward you. Try it sometime.

10. Produce Clerk

Current Employee - Produce Clerk
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working produce was a great experience for me and I for the most part loved my experience there. My boss was the most laid back and cool guys, and he scratched my back as much as I scratched him. As long as you do your work this is a great summer job.

Cons

Store managers can get whiny. Some people are lazy. Very annoying new corporate management, trying to take over the place in their new image.

Advice to Management

Calm down.

It used to be a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great. Paid breaks are nice. I live close. Working there is better than being unemployed.

Cons

You don't get paid enough for the amount of work you are expected to do. You either get too many or too few hours. Morale is awful. Management clueless. Every day I go to work I die a little inside.

Advice to Management

Just give up. You've ruined the company. Customers are leaving in droves. This is a sinking ship.

RSS Feed </> Embed