Strack & Van Til

David Wilkinson

Good first job

Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strack & Van Til (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to get experience. Union protection for tardies and call offs. Nice people to work with. Family environment among employees. Make tips on carry outs.

Cons

Union dues 12.5 every check. No training or job offered to UC's if another store department is hiring. Very minimal raises.

Promote UC's

More bad than good

Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are easy to get along with. OK work/college balance

Cons

Scrubbing toilets and carting groceries out for lazy people while not making squat is very demoralizing.

You should consider paying your employees what they deserve. $7.50 an hour is barely enough to pay for my gas to get to work. Maybe then your employees would take not calling off all the time seriously. Quit asking us to care about the customer when you don't even care about us.

I did not like the management but the job wasn't that bad.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Hobart, IN
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Hobart, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow employees were awesome to work with. Family like environment.

Cons

Management wanted to much to be done in little amount of time

Terrible Employee Treatment

Current Employee - Stocker in Hobart, IN
    Current Employee - Stocker in Hobart, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of very independent work

Cons

Not paid nearly what is allotted even on this site. States that i would start at $8/hr and i only started at $7.50. For the work i do (HEAVY HEAVY LABOR) i should be paid a LOT more
    Managers are rude and have no concern for their employees
    VERY poor training.
    No organization or communication whatsoever.
    VERY VERY VERY understaffed in my department
    No discounts at all for being an employee
    I was hired as an overnight stocker and then was told that they didnt have any positions for that position. What?????

Stockers should be paid a MINIMUM of $9/hr. We are lifting AT LEAST 50 lbs all day and are very understaffed so we have to work twice as hard. I have hurt myself multiple times due to having to rush around like a mad woman because there is a constant rush because we are so understaffed. Take better care of your employees because honestly? We make or break you.

A Good Job When You Need Work

Current Employee - Cashier in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are great. Even 99% of the customers are very nice. The store is well run, clean and well stocked. Management is willing to work with you for your scheduling needs.

Cons

The schedule is put out each week for the following week, makes it hard to balance work & life. Many times the schedule is late and we wait till Saturday or (less often) Sunday for it to come out. Part-time is mandatory. Low pay and you stand for long hours at a time. Short 15 minute breaks. Expect your feet to hurt even in comfortable shoes.

Would be nice to have the schedule out on time each week. Actual preformance reviews where you sit down with someone and discuss how you stack up and how to improve would be nice as well.

Poor Management

I have been working at Strack & Van Til

Pros

Right now the only pros I can think of for working for this company for over 21 years is that it does have decent medical insurance and You do get paid vacations there when You have been there for at least a year. The managers are good at working around your schedule and when You request a day off, You usually get it.

Cons

The managers are way to strict and some of them even like to yell at You in front of other co-workers and vendors. They don't value hard working long time employees such as myself, instead they cut Your hours down and expect You to do so much in little time.

Managers really need to be more respectful to long time, hard working, dedicated employees.

Company could do better

Current Employee - Utility Clerk
    Current Employee - Utility Clerk

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than an year)

Pros

To be honest the only pros working here are they are good at working with you and your schedule. Also, the people you work with for the most part are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Over worked and under payed. No one gives full effort.

If you truly cared about your employees, you'd pay them more than a lousy $7.50/ hour.

I was a customer service manager for a year.

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Highland, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Highland, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are overall very flexible with work hours and vacation time. The people who work there are great and easy to get along with/work with.

Cons

Petty fights/issues between co-workers were common. The pay scale is sadly incredibly low for the amount of work. Vacation days/medical insurance coverage only begin after a year and a half. It unionized so you have to pay dues on top of the low hourly wage.

Good family values

Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management treats employees fairly. Union Job that guarantees hours.

Cons

Disconnect between young and old workers. You are expected to do a lot for a minimum wage job.

I'm overworked, underpaid, and feel like they've taken advantage of me.

Current Employee - Cashier in Saint John, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saint John, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only good thing about this job is that it's a union job, and because it's a union job it guarantees you hours. And you can be eligible for health insurance through the union. But that's about it. I like the majority of my coworkers well enough.

Cons

This may be a union job, but there is a stipulation that says you can't go on strike if you feel the work conditions are unfair. Health insurance is offered, but utility clerks aren't eligible for it, despite being the ones who probably need it the most. There isn't much room for moving up in the company, and even if you do decide you want to move up to a CSM position, you only get a 50-cent bump in hourly pay. If you are in college, they say they'll work around your college schedule, but they don't do a very good job at it. When customers get upset with the cashier for some unknown reason (despite being provided with excellent customer service), the management will never have the cashier's back and make the cashier look bad, which is not very good for morale. Upper management seems to be out of touch with their employees. The work hours are erratic; one week they'll load the hours on your, and the next you'll be lucky if you get the minimum amount. If you have to call off for an emergency, they give you a hard time about it. I had to call off three days during the epic snowstorm earlier in 2014; three roads around me were closed due to the snow and cold, and whenever I called in to call off, they gave me SUCH a hard time about not trying to make it to work. And they cut corners every opportunity they can. They schedule the bare minimum of cashiers at a time, and when it gets busy, CSMs and managers have to hop on registers to help ring customers up. Then they have to start calling the STOCKERS to the registers to help ring customers up, all because they're too stingy with hours and don't want to schedule any more cashiers than they think they need. When a CSM is on a register ringing a customer up, then good luck seeing if any of the other cashiers need assistance with voids or dealing with an upset customer. I've had my breaks delayed up to 45 minutes because of this. It's even worse when it's not busy and the CSMs are just standing around in the service desk gossiping and doing not much of anything. CSMs also won't crack down on anyone who won't do their jobs on the front end (mainly the utility clerks). The cashiers are stuck doing half of their own bagging since the utility clerks are slacking off and CSMs aren't cracking down on them. Then the customers feel they have to go help bag their own orders since there are no utility clerks around to do it, and then they complain that it's like shopping at a competitor that offers no carryout service but they pay more here.

You need to be more accessible to your employees. You need to have regular staff meetings with them. You need to listen to them when they have problems. A lot of employees are unhappy and miserable, and ignoring them isn't helping store morale. Also, quit cutting corners with the scheduling and wasting money on things we don't really need around the store.