Strack & Van Til

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Wilkinson

I was a customer service manager for a year.

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) Highland, IN

ProsThey are overall very flexible with work hours and vacation time. The people who work there are great and easy to get along with/work with.

ConsPetty fights/issues between co-workers were common. The pay scale is sadly incredibly low for the amount of work. Vacation days/medical insurance coverage only begin after a year and a half. It unionized so you have to pay dues on top of the low hourly wage.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good family values

Utility Clerk (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsManagement treats employees fairly. Union Job that guarantees hours.

ConsDisconnect between young and old workers. You are expected to do a lot for a minimum wage job.

I'm overworked, underpaid, and feel like they've taken advantage of me.

Cashier (Current Employee) Saint John, IN

ProsThe only good thing about this job is that it's a union job, and because it's a union job it guarantees you hours. And you can be eligible for health insurance through the union. But that's about it. I like the majority of my coworkers well enough.

ConsThis may be a union job, but there is a stipulation that says you can't go on strike if you feel the work conditions are unfair. Health insurance is offered, but utility clerks aren't eligible for it, despite being the ones who probably need it the most. There isn't much room for moving up in the company, and even if you do decide you want to move up to a CSM position, you only get a 50-cent bump in hourly pay. If you are in college, they say they'll work around your college schedule, but they don't do a very good job at it. When customers get upset with the cashier for some unknown reason (despite being provided with excellent customer service), the management will never have the cashier's back and make the cashier look bad, which is not very good for morale. Upper management seems to be out of touch with their employees. The work hours are erratic; one week they'll load the hours on your, and the next you'll be lucky if you get the minimum amount. If you have to call off for an emergency, they give you a hard time about it. I had to call off three days during the epic snowstorm earlier in 2014; three roads around me were closed due to the snow and cold, and whenever I called in to call off, they gave me SUCH a hard time about not trying to make it to work. And they cut corners every opportunity they can. They schedule the bare minimum of cashiers at a time, and when it gets busy, CSMs and managers have to hop on registers to help ring customers up. Then they have to start calling the STOCKERS to the registers to help ring customers up, all because they're too stingy with hours and don't want to schedule any more cashiers than they think they need. When a CSM is on a register ringing a customer up, then good luck seeing if any of the other cashiers need assistance with voids or dealing with an upset customer. I've had my breaks delayed up to 45 minutes because of this. It's even worse when it's not busy and the CSMs are just standing around in the service desk gossiping and doing not much of anything. CSMs also won't crack down on anyone who won't do their jobs on the front end (mainly the utility clerks). The cashiers are stuck doing half of their own bagging since the utility clerks are slacking off and CSMs aren't cracking down on them. Then the customers feel they have to go help bag their own orders since there are no utility clerks around to do it, and then they complain that it's like shopping at a competitor that offers no carryout service but they pay more here.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to be more accessible to your employees. You need to have regular staff meetings with them. You need to listen to them when they have problems. A lot of employees are unhappy and miserable, and ignoring them isn't helping store morale. Also, quit cutting corners with the scheduling and wasting money on things we don't really need around the store.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good

Baker (Former Employee) Hammond, IN

Prosgreat company to work for

Conspromise management but never do

Advice to Senior Managementmore customer service

More good then bad. Most of my co-workers are nice.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cedar Lake, IN

ProsSome flexibility with the scheduling, I get at least 20 hrs a week, paid time and half on some holidays. Part time stockers and cashiers can get health insurance after 2 years. Union stores. Paid breaks and they make sure their people take their breaks. The store is kept clean and it looks nice.

ConsLow pay. Have to pay union dues. Sometimes store manager can be tough to deal with. One CSM/Cashier is related to one of our managers and she can be crabby and difficult to deal with. That CSM/cashier gets away with being bossy with some of our other managers and she gets treated more favorably then the other cashiers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company shouldn't allow its managers to have their relatives work at the same store with them. (A managers father, daughter, niece or son-in-law, etc should not be working with them at the same store.)

not great, not horrible

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsCan't think of any pros, although some of the people I worked with were pretty good

ConsTerrible manager in the deli dept. If you weren't on her good side, watch out--worst shifts and aleays looking for something wrong.

Decent salary, comfortable work environment, but don't value their employees

ProsGood benefits, offers insurance to most employees, and the work environment is friendly and helpful.

ConsUpper management and corporate doesn't value their employees, also this company used to be a family based friend,y company and is now more a corporate company fixed on expanding and getting money. But not giving anymore to their employees.

Very little regard to the individual.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Crown Point, IN

ProsEasy work, you get hours, not terribly boring. Some managers and co workers were very helpful and knew what they were doing.

ConsThe management is very close minded to suggestions and seemingly corrupt. They're content to sweep an issue under the carpet as oppose to addressing it. Our back room was a disaster, always overstocked and never organized. An absolute pig stye. We often find items that expired years ago, and no one seemed to care. I had to call off several days for military reasons, and they are legally not allowed to penalize me for this. What do they do? Write me up and claim the company is more important than my military obligations. Also, the gossip situation is rampant. We have two managers in particular who will stand up front for a half hour at a time and whine or gossip about other employees and their personal lives. I've even had costumes point this out. I actually left the front end for a position in the back because I was so sick of the constant gossip and whining about little things instead of sucking it up and dealing with it. I could go on about many other issues, but these were the most prevalent. Also, doing the garbage was hideously gross. No one else will change a bag, just pile it on. Many of the other employees were demoralized and cared little because of these problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to suggestions, learn that some of us trying to make a career outside your store (military in my case) and be flexible, clean up the back room, and stop acting like a bunch of middle schoolers.

Be yourself and honest

Wrapper (Current Employee) East Chicago, IN

ProsYou will be hired depending on location ... east chicago , Indiana is hard up for good workers.

ConsPay is not indicative of work done. Hardly any regard or merit is given to employees rather the customer is always right even when they are wrong or come in drunk or high or want something for free so they complain and management always gives in to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fare with employees who help make your profit margins attainable and be more generous with wages for work performed by your employees

Bad experience

Baker (Former Employee) Crown Point, IN

ProsI got a pay check.

ConsI'd have to get my managers to pay me for hours that I worked all the time. They treat their employees like They're not even people. The stracks I worked at hire a lot of educable slow people and treated them so bad and worked them like dogs. I had a friend tell me he liked being in the bakery because the people up front are so mean to him. If anyone has a brain about themselves don't work here. The company is corrupt and only meant to bring in little people so the big people up top can live it up large.
    They are not flexible! I worked back in the bakery and they had no one to take my place if I needed to take off. I missed Family get togethers, birthdays, and vacations and I always tried working with them. I asked for a week off and I ended up having to work half of our family vacation because they would not give it to me. I still live with my parents and I didn't have a car so my whole family had to cut the vacation short because of me and my 'Part Time Job' Then when one of the people I work with had to call off work for some time I was stuck with a newbie and they worked me to death plus I have several health conditions (as so did the new girl working with me) that they knew about. we worked late every night because we couldn't finish our work, we were working over 40hrs on a 'part time job' Then they decided to move me to night shift and the new girl had been working there for less than a month and I 8 months. I told them I couldn't work 9pm-3:30/5am shifts that i couldn't get home and my health probably couldn't take that. They tried getting me rides with strangers I didn't even know! I'm not getting in the car with strange people I don't know. Then my manager told me to call off all week so I did, and she kept putting me on that schedule for 3 weeks. Then she went to the store manager and told him I just didn't want to work, which is not true because I need the money I'm getting married early next year. Plus, trying to find your union rep. to help out like he's paid to do, good luck finding him. He called the day after I quit and I called him for two weeks. So he told me If I don't come into work that night he was going to fire me so I quit. So much stress has been lifted of me since then and my health has improved! The had no values of their merchandise, or how it looked or tasted. The product could be dropped on the floor or months in our freezer and we would still package it and put it out on the floor (I always chucked the bread if it fell on the floor I didn't care that's the right thing to do). The bread I baked was Months some times years expired! Everything was filthy, Pans floors and equipment. I also run my own business so I couldn't imagine running my company like they do! People need to read this, people need to know what they're buying!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should take care of the people that are the face of your company. Listen to them, and actually be flexibly like you say when people apply and they'll return the favor. I worked so hard to gain the approval of my employer and they beat me down, all the time except one which was the only person I could talk too.

Worked for Strack & Van Til? Contribute to the Community!