Strack & Van Til Reviews

David Wilkinson

1. customer service???

Current Employee - Front End in Schererville, IN
    Current Employee - Front End in Schererville, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers, even from the other departments, a real sense of a close (yet dysfunctional) family

Cons

Working with the public!! Nepotism, favoritism, and promoting the laziest employees because they're a "friend" of yours ...Dave Wilkinson retiring and acquiring a new CEO whom wipes out the "good" managers and leaves the "bad" while bringing in his "own people" .....I'll stop there, I can go on forever.

Advice to Management

Actually come out of your offices and engage with your customers and employees. Communicating only when there's something wrong isn't the way to go.

never again

Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really loved my job despite the fact that they kept adding responsibilities with no raise, but this is a non union store and that's what happens. My store manager was great. Coworkers were awesome as well.

Cons

The scheduling manager is an absolute control freak. She will tell you if you ask for a day or so off that they don't work around your life, even if you have kids. The store would be better off without her!

Advice to Management

The only reason every one of you gets away with the crap you pull, with the exception of the store manager himself, is because the store is non union. You need to get lives and look at things through the eyes of your employees!!!

3. Terrible management!

Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Chesterton, IN
    Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Chesterton, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til

Pros

My coworkers are fun and hardworking. They make working there good despite management. Some of the customers are a pleasure to help.

Cons

The pay is low, management is always on our backs about something they think we did wrong. We get no discounts, no pat on the back, only a kick in the rear end for all our hard work. No communication, they just expect us to read their minds. Constantly changing things confusing us and the customers. They schedule once a week but still can't get it out on time, how are we supposed to make appointments or just have a life. When management comes out of their office, they don't smile or say hello, instead they stand around watching and gossiping and acting like we are all scum.

Advice to Management

In a friendly way, get to know your employees. Compliment them, smile at them, treat them like the good, hardworking people they are and if you can't bring yourself to do that, just stay in your office and let them do their job. Get them better pay and discounts and a bonus once in a while. In other words, treat them how you would like to be treated, I'm sure you would be pleasantly surprised at the turn around in their attitudes toward you. Try it sometime.

5. Produce Clerk

Current Employee - Produce Clerk
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working produce was a great experience for me and I for the most part loved my experience there. My boss was the most laid back and cool guys, and he scratched my back as much as I scratched him. As long as you do your work this is a great summer job.

Cons

Store managers can get whiny. Some people are lazy. Very annoying new corporate management, trying to take over the place in their new image.

Advice to Management

Calm down.

It used to be a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munster, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great. Paid breaks are nice. I live close. Working there is better than being unemployed.

Cons

You don't get paid enough for the amount of work you are expected to do. You either get too many or too few hours. Morale is awful. Management clueless. Every day I go to work I die a little inside.

Advice to Management

Just give up. You've ruined the company. Customers are leaving in droves. This is a sinking ship.

7. bakery

Current Employee - Baker in Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Baker in Highland, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

got union, holiday pay after working there 4 months, get raises every 6 months, paid breaks

Cons

new ceo's are changing everything, u will break your back there

bagger

Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work experience (I guess) You can get away with almost everything because management doesn't do their job.

Cons

Where do I begin. Us baggers are basically treated with very little respect. We do the most work, including scrubbing toilets, and we get paid the least, also zero benefits. Multiple attempts to contact HR have gotten nowhere. The new CEO seems intent on treating us employees like garbage and paying us next to nothing. Shame on you and your company.

Advice to Management

Us unhappy employees are hurting your business. I know for a fact that employees complain around the customers. I hear it all the time. The lack of any joy of working there really shows, shows to the customers.

Management

Former Employee - Management in Highland, IN
    Former Employee - Management in Highland, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great customers to serve, close to home.

Cons

New CEO is intent on irradiating the company culture good and bad. Does not recognize what contributions you've made to the company, only what he can get out of you in the future.

Advice to Management

Stop showing existing SVT employees no respect by bringing in all new management from Jewel, albertsons and AP.

10. Like one can expect from working in a grocery store, you have to know how to work with customers.

Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Hobart, IN
    Former Employee - Utility Clerk in Hobart, IN

I worked at Strack & Van Til part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent job for young adults while in school. Not difficult to be qualified for the job. Time can go fast if you stay busy. Not great but advancement opportunities for some are sometimes available.

Cons

Utility Clerks do the most yet get paid the least.

Advice to Management

Higher pay throughout store employees. Split Utility Clerk duties to make separate/new job titles. Micro-manage a little more.

Company doesn't care about its employees

Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Strack & Van Til part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work experience, don't have to deal with customers that much.

Cons

Very low pay, no heath insurance, very few hours. Maximum of like 20 hours a week.

Advice to Management

If you want quality employees pay accordingly

RSS Feed </> Embed