Strata Decision Technology

Dan Michelson

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opportunity and Challenges

Software Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOpportunity to grow into different roles
    Smart hard-working coworkers
    The company is poised to make some major progress if they can iron out some kinks

ConsPay was adequate but getting tighter under new owners
    Personal relationships trumped work quality for many teams
    Changes happening probably slower than they should
    Poor work-life balance in consulting positions

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up with the recent changes, I think Strata is becoming a better place to work

Challenging work, rely on some good people, leadership team ignores employee feedback

Manager - Consulting Services (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- There are quite a few good hard working co-workers that keeps the company going.
    - Strata has a great list of client organizations that will give a boost to your resume.
    - Employees can learn a lot in a very short amount of time. There are always opportunities to take on more work and responsibilities.

Cons- Insecure and incapable leadership team
    - Strata is always short staffed which accounts for terrible work life balance
    - Work/responsibilities not distributed properly with the team and company which disproportionate amounts of work

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership team needs to stop pretending that they care because they really do not.

Culture and management team need major overhaul

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe biggest pro about working here is that you can come up with your own ideas of how to do things and actually try them out. But on the flip side, because the management and culture here are so poor, it is very hard to get other people on your team to help you implement the ideas, even if they are good.

Another good thing about working here is that there are many very bright people. Some are an inspiration to work with and you can learn a lot from them. Some will be your allies and friends and biggest supporters. And some, sadly, will stab you right in the back. It is up to you to figure out who your real allies are.

Compensation is fair, office is nice, you get the computer equipment and tools you need.

ConsOther reviewers lately have said it better than I could. There is a big problem with the management team. There are many people in management positions who lack the skills to be there - this includes VPs. They got promoted too quickly. Just because someone has been there for 10 years doesn't mean they're good. These people need to be evaluated, and either coached by someone who knows what they are doing, or asked to leave. Perhaps more hiring for high level positions from the outside needs to be done to fill the gaps and add experienced management to the mix.

The culture is best described in one word - competitive (and not in a good way). In almost every team, instead of working together, people fight to show that they are the best. If you do try to work with others, someone will use it as an opportunity to take advantage of you. If Strata employees could learn to work together, they could fix a lot of the cultural issues they are having.

Driving the competitive atmosphere is management's obsession with telling everyone constantly how great the company is. "#1 in our market! Top 500 places to work in healthcare!" they say. Hate to break it to you Strata, but the only reason you're in the position you are is because you have a monopoly right now. If another company deigned to enter your territory, they could easily wipe you out. Be more humble.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, as other reviewers have already mentioned, CEO needs to focus on fixing the management team. Hard decisions need to be made. Consequences for poor outcomes needs to be more than just a slap on the wrist. Then work on fixing the culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Weak Management, Terrible Office Politics, Motivation Killer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBeing an SME who was recently bought over by a private equity firm, this company is focused on growth but has maintained some of the start-up feel. It is a young, fun firm with opportunities to take on various responsibilities as long as it doesn't get in the way with management's insecurities (more on that later). Although not many, I have met a handful of genuine people that I truly respect and hope to cross paths with again in future.

ConsMany of the existing reviews are spot on (the ones with low rating) and yes, management have been told to write (positive) reviews to bring up the score. Most of senior management consist of mediocre employers straight out of school, who stuck around and got promoted very quickly which stunted their growth and development leaving behind an inapt team of insecure, poor decision makers inhibiting company growth and improvement that the current CEO is trying to achieve.

It is extremely discouraging to see that even with a seemingly level-headed leader injected into the company, the team of young, inexperienced, overly sensitive and insecure management continue to compromise good intentions, hard work, team spirit and optimism of some of the rare bright talent (a couple within management, mostly below management but who usually perform management duties, coaching of their team and exceptional work but cannot break through the ceiling management has created with their insecurity).

But don't get me wrong, the young team of inexperienced managers are not bad people, they are great do-ers who were placed in leadership roles they weren't ready for which causes a detrimental impact to the company. The only thing I blame them for is not having enough self-awareness or concern for the greater good to step down from their role and let more adequate leaders unleash the business' full potential. This has cultivated a toxic environment that rewards brown-nosing, contentment with status quo, personal (and inappropriate) relationships, blaming others, hiding/lying about mistakes, where honesty, trust, openness and integrity are punished.

No room to grow with very few respectable, honest people you can confide in and learn from. If you stay at this place too long it can be soul crushing. When you leave a company, people say you are leaving your manager. In my case, this is absolutely true.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo CEO: You owe it to the company and the dwindling number of hopeful bright talent to make some difficult decisions (it's not exactly difficult when it's obvious to 75% of the company) to either terminate or demote non-performing VPs, AVPs, Directors and Managers. How many years do they get to "prove themselves"? Where is the accountability that has been constantly preached about when you joined?

Overworked, Under-Appreciated and Underpaid

Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood experience learning the in's and out's of a SaaS company. Also, through the immense cloud of mediocrity, there are a few extremely bright and talented individuals. I built a great relationship with many of my colleagues and they are the sole reason for me maintaining some semblance of sanity.

ConsUpper management (excluding CEO/CFO) has been with the company since it's inception and has zero experience outside of Strata. Furthermore, they are extremely overpaid and will never leave as a result. They refuse to take ownership or responsibility for anything unless it is advantageous to themselves (often after one of their employees did all the work), and they refuse to acknowledge their star employees. The culture once had a startup feel, but now stifles innovation and puts extreme demands on working hours. However, the biggest problem by far is the product itself - StrataJazz. The development is shoddy, the data integrity and security is non-existent, there is no QA and every release causes more problems than it solves (ironically, they used to name their releases after bugs). Overall, the foundation of the company is a bucket of water, waiting to be tipped over at any moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. You are the ceiling for this company, and until you get out of the way, the company cannot move forward. If you can change, then realize there are and always will be people that are smarter than you - enable these people to help the company and empower them to make the changes that you are unable to conceive yourself.

Awful

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are really no PROs to working here that you can't get working anywhere else.

ConsBad Company overall, staff very junior and inexperienced
    Office Politics

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put fake posts up pretending you are an employee working there just to pretend that everyone loves the company. It is very obvious when you do.

Energetic, devoted, and hard-working employees make it a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery strong sense of camaradarie
    Flexible work hours and work-from-home options
    One day off per year to do volunteer work
    "StrataCares" program encourages donations of time, energy and money to charitable causes
    Diverse workforce

ConsCould do better at providing opportunities for formal training

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Great place to be - growth opportunities are endless if you seek them out!"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI have had a great experience with the company thus far. I really value the openness of the company and the fact that I have direct access to management and exec level staff at all times. I have great relationships with staff at all levels, which is something to be desired in a company. The company is very transparent and is not afraid to share with the staff the direction, goals, vision, and roadblocks of the company.
    The company possesses a very strong team-oriented environment, which helps an employee feel as though they are a valued member of the group and one can see their contributions at play.
    The age of the employees is relatively young, but there is room for advancement and quick career progression if that is what the employee is seeking. I, personally, value the fact that I am heard by my managers and exec staff and they take my ideas/concerns seriously. They also take my ideas and desires for my career path seriously and help me work toward my goals.
    The CEO has a contagious pride for the company and products, which keeps the employees engaged with the company and atune with the shared vision.

ConsIt can be a bit overwhelming at times when a lot of work needs to be completed - which is how it is at most companies. But, your colleagues and management are always available to step in and lend an assist when need be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the transparency of the company for employees; it really helps us see what is going on with the company and allows us to feel we are on the same team. This has been great.

High Turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFlexiblity with schedule as there isn't really any management, overview.
    Young, fun co-workers.

ConsThere is absolutely zero leadership, organization, job growth, empowerment here. A lot of the employees stay here because 1) they are foreign and Strata pays for them to continue to have their work visa after they graduate from college, not a lot of employers do this 2) it is their first job out of college and they don't know any better.

There is a lot of gossip and office drama here as well. I saw massive turnover in the very short time I was here. Do yourself a favor and walk away from this mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and figure out some team organization and look closer at the employee-employee relationships as there are many people in there that need to be let go.

Strata Decision Technology Director responded to this review

Mar 22, 2013

As an employee who has been with the company for 9 years, I can say that the comments made in this post are are not a true relection of where the company is today. Employee turnover is at an all ... More

Great opportunity and continuous learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNice working environment and great team work. There are a lot of new stuffs going on in the company and employees are continuous learning during the process. You will find great challenge some time but it's not that stressful, which is the perfect part I like!

ConsSometimes it would be hard to find which things you need to focus on, since the company is growing so fast, but eventually you will get there and I think it's just a matter of time and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's great to see company is moving forward rapidly and hope we can keep it up!

Worked for Strata Decision Technology? Contribute to the Community!