Strata Decision Technology

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overworked, Under-Appreciated and Underpaid

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood experience learning the in's and out's of a SaaS company. Also, through the immense cloud of mediocrity, there are a few extremely bright and talented individuals. I built a great relationship with many of my colleagues and they are the sole reason for me maintaining some semblance of sanity.

ConsUpper management (excluding CEO/CFO) has been with the company since it's inception and has zero experience outside of Strata. Furthermore, they are extremely overpaid and will never leave as a result. They refuse to take ownership or responsibility for anything unless it is advantageous to themselves (often after one of their employees did all the work), and they refuse to acknowledge their star employees. The culture once had a startup feel, but now stifles innovation and puts extreme demands on working hours. However, the biggest problem by far is the product itself - StrataJazz. The development is shoddy, the data integrity and security is non-existent, there is no QA and every release causes more problems than it solves (ironically, they used to name their releases after bugs). Overall, the foundation of the company is a bucket of water, waiting to be tipped over at any moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave. You are the ceiling for this company, and until you get out of the way, the company cannot move forward. If you can change, then realize there are and always will be people that are smarter than you - enable these people to help the company and empower them to make the changes that you are unable to conceive yourself.

Awful

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThere are really no PROs to working here that you can't get working anywhere else.

ConsBad Company overall, staff very junior and inexperienced
    Office Politics

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put fake posts up pretending you are an employee working there just to pretend that everyone loves the company. It is very obvious when you do.

High Turnover

Chicago, IL

ProsFlexiblity with schedule as there isn't really any management, overview.
    Young, fun co-workers.

ConsThere is absolutely zero leadership, organization, job growth, empowerment here. A lot of the employees stay here because 1) they are foreign and Strata pays for them to continue to have their work visa after they graduate from college, not a lot of employers do this 2) it is their first job out of college and they don't know any better.

There is a lot of gossip and office drama here as well. I saw massive turnover in the very short time I was here. Do yourself a favor and walk away from this mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and figure out some team organization and look closer at the employee-employee relationships as there are many people in there that need to be let go.

Flag Review
    Strata Decision Technology Director responded to this review Mar 22, 2013 EditDelete
    As an employee who has been with the company for 9 years, I can say that the comments made in this post are are not a true relection of where the company is today. Employee turnover is at an all ... More
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty Much the worst company for which I ever had the displeasure of working

(Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood for newly graduated to gain experience. However, don't expect to have much of a life other than work.

ConsNo Opportunity for growth
    Favoritism
    Office Politics
    Owner of Company clueless about the dynamics of the organization, and leaves the direction of the employee satisfaction up to a few key managers that also have no clue about work life balance. Also, there have been many instances that lies have been told to employees to do damage control for bad decision making. Basically, the only way to advance is if you live and breathe your job, and have no other social life or family. The reward you get for working hard there, is being laid off when someone else comes along that can work for cheaper.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to criticism. If there are a lot of complaints for your employees about something that they don't like, then there is probably something that needs to be investigated.

Flag Review
    Strata Decision Technology Employer Representative responded to this review Mar 22, 2013 EditDelete
    This post is outdated and does not reflect my experience at the company. The CEO that came on board in June 2012 has emphasized a strong focus on employee engagement. In my time at the company, I ... More

Horrible place to work, lot of politics, incompetent management

Chicago, IL

ProsLately they have started hiring only H1B visa people whom they can pay less but who will stick around longer. No other good thing, they have cut back on most good things including pay raises and salaries.

ConsPolitics, Favoritism, if you are not in the inner circle no matter what you do you will never be recognized for your work. Titles are just that, titles, everyone from the VP to a consultant does the same work. No career progression, no role definition, dont expect any visibility on the projects or your performance. No work life balance, worst place for people with families. Expect to be thrown under the bus by your managers, everyone watches their back and there is lack of trust between teams.

Flag Review
    I think that this post is outdated and does not reflect the current experience in the company. The current CEO that came on board in June 2012 is a strong leader making a positive change in the ... More

Horrible place to work at, company culture is one of politics and sycophancy

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsResume builder if you are new to job market, H1b visa sponsorship, Chicago downtown office, Friday morning breakfast, Good view of Millennium park

ConsPolitics and more politics, erratic decision making, Unprofessional behavior by middle management towards their subordinates, Quick hire and fire policy, Repetitive work, Long hours, Disproportionate pay compared to amount of work required, Incoherent training for new hires, Poor feedback to employees regarding their performance, So-called senior management consists of people who have no prior industry experience and have been bred in this company alone thus they have no professional managerial skills, Career growth is only limited to job titles you will be doing the same work, Sycophancy is the only way to survive in this organization, Future of the company is doubtful since as soon as a bigger competitor inculcates the features of Strata Jazz into their product this company will collapse, Absolutely no scope for suggesting improvements, No effort or vision in the direction of diversifying client base or industry application

Advice to Senior ManagementLarge scale improvements in the culture and business style will have to be made otherwise this company has bleak future.

Flag Review
    Given that this post is 2 years old, I can say that my experience as a new employee has been the complete opposite. The vision and goals of the company are very clearly communicated to everyone on ... More

Too many politics for a 50 person company

Chicago, IL

ProsThe employees that I worked with were smart, intelligent, and cared about their clients. I was able to move through the ranks quickly, because I had a senior leader on my side. Learned alot in the short time I was there.

ConsThe morale was terrible, senior leadership would create new initiatives for the organization to focus on daily, and then change their minds. The CEO loves development and tech services, and there was not any respect given to consultants or consulting managers. The organization would promote too quickly or not promote at all, there was no reason for their actions. My advice to those wanting to work at Strata is that its a good company to learn from, especially if you want to learn how not to run an organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about your employees before all of them leave. After reading the other reviews, it seems like all of your policies have changed, and as expected, within one month, they will change again. Respect your employees and they will respect you. From all the reviews that have been written, it seems that many of your past employees do not respect the organization.

Flag Review
    Given that this post is 2 years old, this is not an accurate reflection of the company's present state. The company has long term employees who are passionate and driven. The retention rate is now ... More

Rapid experience and salary gain at the cost of long hours and Byzantine office politics.

Chicago, IL

ProsThe dev team is very aggressive about moving to new technologies, so if you're a developer, you will be on the cutting edge of Microsoft development technologies.

Consultants are placed in very challenging situations and rapidly gain skills that are valuable in the Consulting Industry, such as dealing with angry clients and meeting expectations that have been set by people with no real understand of the challenges of an implementation. It's also easy to gain high visibility and draw the attention of the CEO.

Income tends to rise rapidly. Promotions, raises, and/or bonuses tend to be distributed liberally when someone leaves, and turnover is very high among consultants.

ConsThe CEO/owner has encouraged a sycophantic company culture, which pervades the entire company. Consulting managers rarely stand up for their employees and typically throw them under the bus in tough situations.

Development rarely takes ease of implementation into account when designing software, so implementations are laborious, time consuming, and typically require a series of hacks and workarounds.

Consultants are really glorified tech support employees that implement the product and fend off angry customers. They do not do any type of management or operations consulting whatsoever.

Business development tends to make certain promises about the capability of the product in order to close sales with little thought given to actually meeting these promises. The responsibility of this is usually pushed onto the entry-level consultant that is doing the implementation. Sometimes, this also requires the entire development team to switch priorities and work long hours to meet the expectations of a single client.

Promotions are token in nature. Unless he/she is in business development, a senior manager will typically be performing the same tasks as an entry level consultant.

Their long term compensation incentive is shadow equity that may not be collected for 5 years and is worthless if the person leaves the company. The vast majority of people do not last at the company for 5 years and either quit or are asked to leave.

The 10-hour workday is actually just a minimum. It is not uncommon to have to work nights and weekends. Don't expect to maintain a work/life balance.

In the event you are promised something, you need to get it in writing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO/owner is too personally invested in the company to make objective decisions. She needs to remove herself from business decisions and hire a CEO who can act dispassionately and establish a new company culture that is based on meritocracy and accepts constructive criticism.

Flag Review
    This post is outdated and does not reflect my experience at the company. The CEO that came on board in June 2012 has emphasized a strong focus on feedback and wants to know what employees think ... More

You can gain lots of experience, but at the price of extreme hours and office politics.

Chicago, IL

ProsYou can gain tons of experience in a short amount of time. Job titles are handed out like candy, so you will look good for your next job search. There are no slackers; everyone pulls their weight or they're not around for long.

ConsCrazy hours, lack of work/life balance, compensation is not really very high given the long hours. Office politics are rampant, so you have to cuddle up to the right people if you want to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with more respect. Provide more transparency overall.

Flag Review
    Given that this post is OVER 4 years old, it does not reflect my experience as a new employee.which has been the complete opposite. Also, in my short time here I have been impressed by the senior ... More

Weak Management, Terrible Office Politics, Motivation Killer

Chicago, IL

ProsBeing an SME who was recently bought over by a private equity firm, this company is focused on growth but has maintained some of the start-up feel. It is a young, fun firm with opportunities to take on various responsibilities as long as it doesn't get in the way with management's insecurities (more on that later). Although not many, I have met a handful of genuine people that I truly respect and hope to cross paths with again in future.

ConsMany of the existing reviews are spot on (the ones with low rating) and yes, management have been told to write (positive) reviews to bring up the score. Most of senior management consist of mediocre employers straight out of school, who stuck around and got promoted very quickly which stunted their growth and development leaving behind an inapt team of insecure, poor decision makers inhibiting company growth and improvement that the current CEO is trying to achieve.

It is extremely discouraging to see that even with a seemingly level-headed leader injected into the company, the team of young, inexperienced, overly sensitive and insecure management continue to compromise good intentions, hard work, team spirit and optimism of some of the rare bright talent (a couple within management, mostly below management but who usually perform management duties, coaching of their team and exceptional work but cannot break through the ceiling management has created with their insecurity).

But don't get me wrong, the young team of inexperienced managers are not bad people, they are great do-ers who were placed in leadership roles they weren't ready for which causes a detrimental impact to the company. The only thing I blame them for is not having enough self-awareness or concern for the greater good to step down from their role and let more adequate leaders unleash the business' full potential. This has cultivated a toxic environment that rewards brown-nosing, contentment with status quo, personal (and inappropriate) relationships, blaming others, hiding/lying about mistakes, where honesty, trust, openness and integrity are punished.

No room to grow with very few respectable, honest people you can confide in and learn from. If you stay at this place too long it can be soul crushing. When you leave a company, people say you are leaving your manager. In my case, this is absolutely true.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo CEO: You owe it to the company and the dwindling number of hopeful bright talent to make some difficult decisions (it's not exactly difficult when it's obvious to 75% of the company) to either terminate or demote non-performing VPs, AVPs, Directors and Managers. How many years do they get to "prove themselves"? Where is the accountability that has been constantly preached about when you joined?

Worked for Strata Decision Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Strata Decision Technology reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Strata Decision Technology CEO Dan Michelson. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Strata Decision Technology employees.