Strata Decision Technology

Dan Michelson

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company that is Helping to Change Healthcare

Vice President (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStrata Decision is a really cool company that is focused on changing the healthcare delivery system in it's own way - through better planning, cost assessment and financial analytics. The ultimate goal for clients is to give them software solutions that support their mission of providing high quality care in a cost effective manner. The team (from engineers to implementation consultants to quality assurance) is completely dedicated to that mission.

I would describe the culture of the company in 3 words: 1. Passionate 2. Innovative 3. Smart. People with these characteristics end up really exceling in the environment. At all levels, the team is very tight knit. There are regular "all hands" meetings that bring the company together so there is alignment. Also, over the last 90 days there has been a major focus placed on staff development through formal programs. All team members are involved in the sessions to keep advancing their skill sets and their careers.

Over the years, the company has done a really nice job of staying ahead of the curve through continued advancement of its products and services. It's a really dynamic place where products and services are really evolving to stay ahead of the needs of hospital CFOs and finance teams.

Strata Decision has great plans for the future and I am excited to be part of the continued evolution.

ConsThe company has a number of really important, valuable initiatives (staff development, client experience, product advancement etc.). Sometimes the number of initiatives can seem overwhelming, because they are important. It is however clear that senior management recognizes that there are many initiatives and are now focused on prioritization.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are focused on the right things to continue advancing the company - keep that focus.

One of the best decisions I’ve made which has resulted in great learning & growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou are surrounded by some of the most talented and passionate people out there who are always willing to share knowledge and help you grow in your career. The job is challenging (never a boring day) and there are ample opportunities for learning and expanding your skills (whether it be in technology, healthcare, finance, etc). Environment is such that if you see a problem or opportunity for improvement, you can weigh in on the solutions (and in most cases even help implement them). Good career growth opportunities where you can move either vertically or horizontally within the company. And lastly, there are plenty of social & team building activities to give you an opportunity to get to know your co-workers better.

ConsCompany has achieved great success in a relatively short period of time as a result of the great team it has built up. At times, more thought does need to be put in to fully think through implications on staff workload whenever the company is considering new projects or opportunities. The way to hedge against this currently is to keep your manager in the loop when you have too much on your plate. Also, there isn't as much emphasis on process (and adhering to them) as other companies, but I’ve seen a lot more focus on this as the company continues to grow in size. Also, you may be asked to wear a lot of different hats at once, which may make focusing a bit difficult at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. The company is positioned very well to make a huge impact on the healthcare industry at a time when it needs it the most. Also, the extra focus that has been devoted towards developing and growing the entire team will pay off in the long run.

Lots of Growth Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe company offers an endless amount of career development opportunity in an open and fun work environment.

ConsSmaller company-but this only means more possibility for hands on experience to add to your knowledge-base/resume/portfolio.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty Much the worst company for which I ever had the displeasure of working

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood for newly graduated to gain experience. However, don't expect to have much of a life other than work.

ConsNo Opportunity for growth
    Favoritism
    Office Politics
    Owner of Company clueless about the dynamics of the organization, and leaves the direction of the employee satisfaction up to a few key managers that also have no clue about work life balance. Also, there have been many instances that lies have been told to employees to do damage control for bad decision making. Basically, the only way to advance is if you live and breathe your job, and have no other social life or family. The reward you get for working hard there, is being laid off when someone else comes along that can work for cheaper.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to criticism. If there are a lot of complaints for your employees about something that they don't like, then there is probably something that needs to be investigated.

Mar 22, 2013

This post is outdated and does not reflect my experience at the company. The CEO that came on board in June 2012 has emphasized a strong focus on employee engagement. In my time at the company, I ... More

Horrible place to work, lot of politics, incompetent management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLately they have started hiring only H1B visa people whom they can pay less but who will stick around longer. No other good thing, they have cut back on most good things including pay raises and salaries.

ConsPolitics, Favoritism, if you are not in the inner circle no matter what you do you will never be recognized for your work. Titles are just that, titles, everyone from the VP to a consultant does the same work. No career progression, no role definition, dont expect any visibility on the projects or your performance. No work life balance, worst place for people with families. Expect to be thrown under the bus by your managers, everyone watches their back and there is lack of trust between teams.

Mar 22, 2013

I think that this post is outdated and does not reflect the current experience in the company. The current CEO that came on board in June 2012 is a strong leader making a positive change in the ... More

Horrible place to work at, company culture is one of politics and sycophancy

Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsResume builder if you are new to job market, H1b visa sponsorship, Chicago downtown office, Friday morning breakfast, Good view of Millennium park

ConsPolitics and more politics, erratic decision making, Unprofessional behavior by middle management towards their subordinates, Quick hire and fire policy, Repetitive work, Long hours, Disproportionate pay compared to amount of work required, Incoherent training for new hires, Poor feedback to employees regarding their performance, So-called senior management consists of people who have no prior industry experience and have been bred in this company alone thus they have no professional managerial skills, Career growth is only limited to job titles you will be doing the same work, Sycophancy is the only way to survive in this organization, Future of the company is doubtful since as soon as a bigger competitor inculcates the features of Strata Jazz into their product this company will collapse, Absolutely no scope for suggesting improvements, No effort or vision in the direction of diversifying client base or industry application

Advice to Senior ManagementLarge scale improvements in the culture and business style will have to be made otherwise this company has bleak future.

Mar 22, 2013

Given that this post is 2 years old, I can say that my experience as a new employee has been the complete opposite. The vision and goals of the company are very clearly communicated to everyone on ... More

Good experience as a first job but limited long term advancement and unsatisfactory management.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI had the opportunity to work with some very intelligent and driven people. The company allocated appropriate funds to technology.

ConsManagement was a closed box. Managerial level decision would be made that directly affected the operation of the company with zero notice to employees. If employees did not agree 100% with management then they were not allowed into the "inner circle". Management sought yes men/women and did not like to be challenged.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open regarding what is going on within the company. Inform employees of company decisions, why they are made etc.

Focus

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI love my coworkers -- I really enjoy the work --- I like the pace and the challenge of it all...

ConsI would only say that it is sometimes hard to keep up with the knowledge that I have to to stay at the top of my game...

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see fewer releases of the software per year. I think we could build more features into each release and release fewer builds -- and have a more productive experience.

Cool people, great products, interesting work, motivating clients

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt's great getting to work with such smart people. Everyone on my team is very invested in helping to make each other successful. Competition between consultants is pretty strong and very positive -- it keeps moving the bar on our performance. It's also great that clients are so supportive of our work -- their great responses to our hard work is very motivating to all of us. It's cool to see the fruits of your labor impacting organizations so quickly.

ConsManagement came out with a greater focus on work life balance - that was great but I would like to see more. For example, I would like to be able to have flex time and I think it would only increase my productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think putting engineers into consulting has helped them to better understand the perspectives of consultants -- is there a way to put financial people into development?

Also keep focusing on communication -- it really helps us in understanding company decisions.

Political atmosphere, lack of management, good pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe pay and benefits are excellent if you're willing to work long hours and navigate the politics of the organization.

Opportunities to become a client lead on the consulting side are excellent if you can quickly learn the software and some basic financial concepts. Opportunities to work with senior leadership at hospitals and health care organizations are numerous.

Small company means less red tape around a lot of administrative functions.

You can move into a 'management' role quickly.

ConsThis is not a consulting firm, it is a software company. The job titles are deceiving. Employees either create and test the software (development and SQA), or implement and support the software with clients (consulting and tech services). There is no advisory work being done at this company.

Room for professional growth and experience is limited for consultants. Most skills gained at the company are specific to the software at Strata (although client interaction is frequent).

There is extremely high turnover at this company. Many people start at Strata right out of college and move on to something relatively soon after. The turnover is exacerbated by a lack of a formal training process and stretched resources.

Managers are generally inexperienced. Most are under 30 years old and have no other job experience other than Strata. There is a lack of vision and direction from the CEO, who is generally disconnected from the actual operations of the company.

Performance metrics are vague and seemingly arbitrary at year-end.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experienced management to run the company.
    Don't hire consultants to implement financial software.
    Focus on supporting current clients, solidifying the software, and creating a core of strong, experienced employees before trying to grow.

Mar 22, 2013

Given that this post is 2 years old, I can say that my experience as a new employee has been the complete opposite. Also, the company is moving towards a best practices approach where consultants are ... More

Worked for Strata Decision Technology? Contribute to the Community!