Strata Decision Technology

3.1

Strata Decision Technology CEO Dan Michelson
Dan Michelson

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Horrible place to work at, company culture is one of politics and sycophancy

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

Resume builder if you are new to job market, H1b visa sponsorship, Chicago downtown office, Friday morning breakfast, Good view of Millennium park

Cons

Politics and more politics, erratic decision making, Unprofessional behavior by middle management towards their subordinates, Quick hire and fire policy, Repetitive work, Long hours, Disproportionate pay compared to amount of work required, Incoherent training for new hires, Poor feedback to employees regarding their performance, So-called senior management consists of people who have no prior industry experience and have been bred in this company alone thus they have no professional managerial skills, Career growth is only limited to job titles you will be doing the same work, Sycophancy is the only way to survive in this organization, Future of the company is doubtful since as soon as a bigger competitor inculcates the features of Strata Jazz into their product this company will collapse, Absolutely no scope for suggesting improvements, No effort or vision in the direction of diversifying client base or industry application

Large scale improvements in the culture and business style will have to be made otherwise this company has bleak future.

Mar 22, 2013

Given that this post is 2 years old, I can say that my experience as a new employee has been the complete opposite. The vision and goals of the company are very clearly communicated to everyone on ... More

Good experience as a first job but limited long term advancement and unsatisfactory management.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with some very intelligent and driven people. The company allocated appropriate funds to technology.

Cons

Management was a closed box. Managerial level decision would be made that directly affected the operation of the company with zero notice to employees. If employees did not agree 100% with management then they were not allowed into the "inner circle". Management sought yes men/women and did not like to be challenged.

Be more open regarding what is going on within the company. Inform employees of company decisions, why they are made etc.

Focus

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

I love my coworkers -- I really enjoy the work --- I like the pace and the challenge of it all...

Cons

I would only say that it is sometimes hard to keep up with the knowledge that I have to to stay at the top of my game...

I would like to see fewer releases of the software per year. I think we could build more features into each release and release fewer builds -- and have a more productive experience.

Cool people, great products, interesting work, motivating clients

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

It's great getting to work with such smart people. Everyone on my team is very invested in helping to make each other successful. Competition between consultants is pretty strong and very positive -- it keeps moving the bar on our performance. It's also great that clients are so supportive of our work -- their great responses to our hard work is very motivating to all of us. It's cool to see the fruits of your labor impacting organizations so quickly.

Cons

Management came out with a greater focus on work life balance - that was great but I would like to see more. For example, I would like to be able to have flex time and I think it would only increase my productivity.

I think putting engineers into consulting has helped them to better understand the perspectives of consultants -- is there a way to put financial people into development?

Also keep focusing on communication -- it really helps us in understanding company decisions.

Merit is rewarded quickly. Great place to gain experience.

I worked at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

- Merit is rewarded quickly
    - Challenging implementations/consulting engagements result in tremendous experience gains
    - Talented and very professional team
    - Intelligent, value driven and passionate founders/owners
    - Company respects its employees and ready to sponsor foreign employees

Cons

- Not for everyone. Small companies can be intense.
    - Stress is an inherent part of the job - learn to be tough.

Make "fun" part of the company values - More comapny events, happy hours, etc. This is the Midwest, beer would do wonders.

Political atmosphere, lack of management, good pay

I worked at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

The pay and benefits are excellent if you're willing to work long hours and navigate the politics of the organization.

Opportunities to become a client lead on the consulting side are excellent if you can quickly learn the software and some basic financial concepts. Opportunities to work with senior leadership at hospitals and health care organizations are numerous.

Small company means less red tape around a lot of administrative functions.

You can move into a 'management' role quickly.

Cons

This is not a consulting firm, it is a software company. The job titles are deceiving. Employees either create and test the software (development and SQA), or implement and support the software with clients (consulting and tech services). There is no advisory work being done at this company.

Room for professional growth and experience is limited for consultants. Most skills gained at the company are specific to the software at Strata (although client interaction is frequent).

There is extremely high turnover at this company. Many people start at Strata right out of college and move on to something relatively soon after. The turnover is exacerbated by a lack of a formal training process and stretched resources.

Managers are generally inexperienced. Most are under 30 years old and have no other job experience other than Strata. There is a lack of vision and direction from the CEO, who is generally disconnected from the actual operations of the company.

Performance metrics are vague and seemingly arbitrary at year-end.

Hire experienced management to run the company.
    Don't hire consultants to implement financial software.
    Focus on supporting current clients, solidifying the software, and creating a core of strong, experienced employees before trying to grow.

Mar 22, 2013

Given that this post is 2 years old, I can say that my experience as a new employee has been the complete opposite. Also, the company is moving towards a best practices approach where consultants are ... More

You can have a big impact, if you're up for the challenge

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

Strata is a relatively small company that creates products that dominate a market shared by billion-dollar companies. So it should be no surprise that this is a fast-paced environment. To tackle this challenge, the basic approach Strata takes is simple. We hire the most talented, creative, and motivated people we can find, and then see what they can do. This leads to two main aspects of Strata that make it an exciting place to work. First, we have a really great team. Everyone pulls their weight and works to improve the way we do things. And secondly, you have a ton of opportunity for learning and career growth. If you're dedicated and hard-working, you can move up and taken on new responsibilities very quickly.

Cons

Make no mistake, this job is not for everyone. For new employees, there is a lot to learn, and you need to be prepared for a challenge right off the bat. In addition, advancement is not a given - ultimately you need to carve out your own path to becoming a strong player within the company. This open-ended environment may be daunting for some, but for myself and many others at Strata it's the reason we're here. One other downside for many people has been the hours. Recently upper-management has been taking strides to provide more options for balancing life and work, so I see this downside diminishing over time.

Communication is key. I believe that management tries hard to clearly broadcast policies and strategic direction throughout the company, but there is still more to be done in this area.

Too many politics for a 50 person company

I worked at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

The employees that I worked with were smart, intelligent, and cared about their clients. I was able to move through the ranks quickly, because I had a senior leader on my side. Learned alot in the short time I was there.

Cons

The morale was terrible, senior leadership would create new initiatives for the organization to focus on daily, and then change their minds. The CEO loves development and tech services, and there was not any respect given to consultants or consulting managers. The organization would promote too quickly or not promote at all, there was no reason for their actions. My advice to those wanting to work at Strata is that its a good company to learn from, especially if you want to learn how not to run an organization.

Care more about your employees before all of them leave. After reading the other reviews, it seems like all of your policies have changed, and as expected, within one month, they will change again. Respect your employees and they will respect you. From all the reviews that have been written, it seems that many of your past employees do not respect the organization.

Mar 22, 2013

Given that this post is 2 years old, this is not an accurate reflection of the company's present state. The company has long term employees who are passionate and driven. The retention rate is now ... More

Rapid experience and salary gain at the cost of long hours and Byzantine office politics.

I worked at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

The dev team is very aggressive about moving to new technologies, so if you're a developer, you will be on the cutting edge of Microsoft development technologies.

Consultants are placed in very challenging situations and rapidly gain skills that are valuable in the Consulting Industry, such as dealing with angry clients and meeting expectations that have been set by people with no real understand of the challenges of an implementation. It's also easy to gain high visibility and draw the attention of the CEO.

Income tends to rise rapidly. Promotions, raises, and/or bonuses tend to be distributed liberally when someone leaves, and turnover is very high among consultants.

Cons

The CEO/owner has encouraged a sycophantic company culture, which pervades the entire company. Consulting managers rarely stand up for their employees and typically throw them under the bus in tough situations.

Development rarely takes ease of implementation into account when designing software, so implementations are laborious, time consuming, and typically require a series of hacks and workarounds.

Consultants are really glorified tech support employees that implement the product and fend off angry customers. They do not do any type of management or operations consulting whatsoever.

Business development tends to make certain promises about the capability of the product in order to close sales with little thought given to actually meeting these promises. The responsibility of this is usually pushed onto the entry-level consultant that is doing the implementation. Sometimes, this also requires the entire development team to switch priorities and work long hours to meet the expectations of a single client.

Promotions are token in nature. Unless he/she is in business development, a senior manager will typically be performing the same tasks as an entry level consultant.

Their long term compensation incentive is shadow equity that may not be collected for 5 years and is worthless if the person leaves the company. The vast majority of people do not last at the company for 5 years and either quit or are asked to leave.

The 10-hour workday is actually just a minimum. It is not uncommon to have to work nights and weekends. Don't expect to maintain a work/life balance.

In the event you are promised something, you need to get it in writing.

The CEO/owner is too personally invested in the company to make objective decisions. She needs to remove herself from business decisions and hire a CEO who can act dispassionately and establish a new company culture that is based on meritocracy and accepts constructive criticism.

Mar 22, 2013

This post is outdated and does not reflect my experience at the company. The CEO that came on board in June 2012 has emphasized a strong focus on feedback and wants to know what employees think ... More

You can gain lots of experience, but at the price of extreme hours and office politics.

I worked at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

You can gain tons of experience in a short amount of time. Job titles are handed out like candy, so you will look good for your next job search. There are no slackers; everyone pulls their weight or they're not around for long.

Cons

Crazy hours, lack of work/life balance, compensation is not really very high given the long hours. Office politics are rampant, so you have to cuddle up to the right people if you want to succeed.

Treat employees with more respect. Provide more transparency overall.

Mar 22, 2013

Given that this post is OVER 4 years old, it does not reflect my experience as a new employee.which has been the complete opposite. Also, in my short time here I have been impressed by the senior ... More

Strata Decision Technology Photos