Strata Decision Technology

Updated October 12, 2014
3.1

Strata Decision Technology CEO Dan Michelson
Dan Michelson

heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with are amazing and constantly helping you learn. It is a challenging, fast-pace environment with great opportunities to learn. The leadership is really trying to create an environment that everyone feels a part of the team.

Cons

work life balance is a challenge at times but that seems to be the case in many small companies. HR could be upgraded a bit.

Growing Company with a passionate team

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Learning opportunities.
    Great company if you are looking for a challenging career.
    Good environment

Cons

It could be sometimes challenging to have a good work-life balance.

Amazing company, great opportunities for advancement and experience!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant Optimization in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant Optimization in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At the core of this organization is a great team of sharp, hard-working professionals. Due to the company's innovative platform, they are experiencing rapid growth...so great opportunities to advance after a short time.

Cons

With rapid growth comes challenges...everyone is expected to chip in and roll up their sleeves...but you will be in good company with team-members who will be right there with you all the way!

Good opportunities, fun people, somewhat confused focus

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Much like other companies, your experience at Strata is heavily dependent on your manager. Because I moved within the company a fair bit, my experience was mixed, but for the last two years I had great managers and I enjoyed working there. Are there some bad days? Of course, but that is the case in any company. My interactions in my most recent role were primarily with the development team and some stakeholders on the consulting side, and I can't complain about the people I worked with. There are definitely some unprofessional people who, thankfully, I did not have to work with too much. But like some of the other reviews suggest, these people tend to be in positions of power because of which their aura permeates through the culture making the environment unprofessional on occasions.

Strata gave me the opportunity to find what I really enjoyed doing, and that is something I am very thankful for. They let you move internally if you prove yourself, which is great, especially right out of undergrad when you don't necessarily know what you want to do. Also, I met some truly awesome people who remain my closest friends.

Cons

My biggest problem with Strata is that they are confused whether they are a tech company or a consulting company. I think they WANT to be a consulting company, but at the end of the day they sell a product without which they might as well shut shop. The culture, the office space and the dress code are very consulting-esque and the political hierarchy and power lie within the consulting teams. As someone on the dev side of things, this was one of my biggest reasons for leaving.

Invest in the product and the product teams and keep your employees happy

Enterprising, Action oriented and entelechial

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity. Opportunity. Opportunity. The company is sure footed financially (both structurally and operationally) with a strong foundation that's been laid over the years, most notably the (growing) client list. Open communication across the board opens doors and plenty of opportunities. I have worn multiple hats during my tenure with the firm, which can cause duress for certain people especially when you're running so fast in a growing company; with that diversity in experiences comes the development of a robust set of skills, especially if you're in the formative stages of your career. Additionally, I cherish the relationships and friendships I formed with my peers, mentors and senior management which is probably the second pillar of strength - accessibility. Both, internal staff and day-to-day correspondences with hospital & health system personnel at varying levels is phenomenal.

The age old saying "your destiny is in your own hands" holds 100% true for this firm. A lack of rigid structure and processes can be unsettling for some but with it comes the ability to truly problem solve and grow as a professional.

Cons

(Im)balance. (Im)maturity. (In)experience.
    1) Imbalance between sales/marketing, delivery teams, product management and development and operations is the biggest weakness of the firm. There are certain teams "carrying" others on their shoulders and this is most stark when it comes to the delivery sub-teams. Top-down directional is being provided for (cross)training and development but at the end of the day, the drive and imperative to change has to be organic & from within, if not within the direct purview of the mentor/mentee/manager relationships.
    2) Lack of maturity and experience in upper management team has been stagnating the firm. Recent hiring efforts and reorganization has led to a more calibrated approach across the board. Current senior leadership represents a 50-50 split of organic and inorganic talent growth.

Rejuvenate. Reinvigorate.
    1) Galvanize middle and some upper management. "Tenure" is a double edged sword.
    2) Focus on providing outlets for employee growth and retention
    3) Instill better work life balance, especially for the delivery team (in the short term).
    4) Create truer business development and research and development value streams

Strata brings opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology

Pros

There is a continuous flow of opportunity at strata. Internally, if you speak up about your position or goals and make a move you will receive support for that.

Cons

Some people are incredibly overworked. We are currently on a hiring push for more resources. You pick up projects and are asked to be on projects when you are overcapacity sometimes.

Set the example for your teams. Be approachable and a part of the team.

Lack of Leadership

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity is there if you are lucky enough to have one of the VPs who do not have any prior experience in any industry other than at Strata.

Cons

I had worked at Strata for years, throughout a mass exodus that caused the previous owner to sell the company. Too bad things have not changed. The product is great, and the division I worked in enjoyed the work we did, but after working with leadership that did not know how to lead and how to create an atmosphere where people enjoyed themselves, it just became too much.

Fire the old Strata leadership team and re-hire the staff that left in the past.

Great for the first couple years after college, leave after that

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strata is a GREAT company to work for straight out of college. You get a lot of experience and wear many hats, and there are *some* really nice and smart people. You can move into teams or roles that interest you even if you have no prior experience, and figure out whether you like it or not. Whether you hate it or not really depends on what team you are on. Most negative reviews are from the client services team. If you are not on the client services team, you most likely will not hate your life.. I can't say for sure if you will love it. However, Strata is a lot of fun for a 20-something.

But, it gets old.

Cons

Where do I begin...

I do not agree with other reviews that say Strata has a start-up culture. It basically is a start-up (I mean, it better be with that teeny tiny revenue), that is trying to be all grown-up, but has 0 perks of being a start-up and -1 perks of being in a big company. They lure you in with the views from the 49th floor (that are phenomenal) and promises of glory, but it's all down hill from there. The first couple years out of college you are young and naive and the perks of leading your own clients and projects blind you from all the evil that goes on in there....and then the glaucoma magically goes away and all of a sudden you realize what you are in the middle of - terrible managers who you can learn nothing from, complete unprofessionalism, and drama. Pretty much everyone I learnt anything from was not a Strata-lifer (i.e. someone who joined Strata as a 22 year old and decided to never quit because now they are AVP/VP, and will never quit because they will not be AVP/VP in any other company). Non-Strata-lifers are rare, but the CEO is making efforts to add a new layer of management that is actually making a difference. The main problem with this is that he is ADDING and not REPLACING, which means all the problems with the company are still there wreaking havoc and shattering dreams of a better company. Also, the "senior management" layer is probably where the companies biggest expenses lie...and what a waste. These people, who probably cost Strata 3 smart consultants/developers each, come to the office drunk in the middle of the afternoon, show up in their coworkers clothes because of a late TUESDAY night, talk down to their staff because they think they are better than everyone else, and fire smart employees when they need a scapegoat.

The CEO is great with marketing the company and making strategic decisions, but he does not make the right decisions for the operations of organization. In the absence of a COO, everyone looks to the CEO and his decisions have not been the best. Like one of the other reviews says, if it is obvious to 75% of the company, I don't see how it is NOT obvious to him. He pretends to listen to his employees by having roundtables and one on ones, but you basically listen to him giving defensive speeches. For the first few months after he joined Strata he actually paid attention, but now that any feedback refers to his poor governance, he does not react to it well.

If you are a Strata-lifer (see above for description), leave. Please. You are not helping anyone by sticking around. See the world out there. Smell the roses.

The rest of you - take care of your employees. Invest in technology - without a product you have nothing, and the product is currently subpar.

Challenging work, rely on some good people, leadership team ignores employee feedback

Current Employee - Manager - Consulting Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager - Consulting Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Strata Decision Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- There are quite a few good hard working co-workers that keeps the company going.
    - Strata has a great list of client organizations that will give a boost to your resume.
    - Employees can learn a lot in a very short amount of time. There are always opportunities to take on more work and responsibilities.

Cons

- Insecure and incapable leadership team
    - Strata is always short staffed which accounts for terrible work life balance
    - Work/responsibilities not distributed properly with the team and company which disproportionate amounts of work

Leadership team needs to stop pretending that they care because they really do not.

Culture and management team need major overhaul

I worked at Strata Decision Technology full-time

Pros

The biggest pro about working here is that you can come up with your own ideas of how to do things and actually try them out. But on the flip side, because the management and culture here are so poor, it is very hard to get other people on your team to help you implement the ideas, even if they are good.

Another good thing about working here is that there are many very bright people. Some are an inspiration to work with and you can learn a lot from them. Some will be your allies and friends and biggest supporters. And some, sadly, will stab you right in the back. It is up to you to figure out who your real allies are.

Compensation is fair, office is nice, you get the computer equipment and tools you need.

Cons

Other reviewers lately have said it better than I could. There is a big problem with the management team. There are many people in management positions who lack the skills to be there - this includes VPs. They got promoted too quickly. Just because someone has been there for 10 years doesn't mean they're good. These people need to be evaluated, and either coached by someone who knows what they are doing, or asked to leave. Perhaps more hiring for high level positions from the outside needs to be done to fill the gaps and add experienced management to the mix.

The culture is best described in one word - competitive (and not in a good way). In almost every team, instead of working together, people fight to show that they are the best. If you do try to work with others, someone will use it as an opportunity to take advantage of you. If Strata employees could learn to work together, they could fix a lot of the cultural issues they are having.

Driving the competitive atmosphere is management's obsession with telling everyone constantly how great the company is. "#1 in our market! Top 500 places to work in healthcare!" they say. Hate to break it to you Strata, but the only reason you're in the position you are is because you have a monopoly right now. If another company deigned to enter your territory, they could easily wipe you out. Be more humble.

Again, as other reviewers have already mentioned, CEO needs to focus on fixing the management team. Hard decisions need to be made. Consequences for poor outcomes needs to be more than just a slap on the wrist. Then work on fixing the culture.

Strata Decision Technology Photos