Strategic Business Systems

3.4

Kevin Kohlhaas

Consultant

Current Employee - Data Storage Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is the start of my second year at SBS. I have been extremely happy with the company, and the corporate culture. To the reviewer that said there is no bench time that is a complete falsehood. I had a month on the bench between contracts and never worried for my job. I'm extremely happy with the senior leadership and they are always willing to listen if you have a comment, concern, or even an idea. I have taken several trainings while I have been with the company and have not had any issues getting them approved or developing my skillsets with certification testing.

Cons

Honestly I can't think of one.

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Strategic Business Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture of this organization is amazing. From Kevin Kohlhaas,CEO, on down they believe in and display the utmost concern for their employees. "Balance" is strived for from both a personal and business perspective. As part of the Storage Consulting Group, I knew that both management and co-workers had my back if necessary. These guys work hard and play hard. This is a fast growing small company with a lot of potential and the right leadership to realize that potential. I would definitely work here again if the future holds that in store.

Cons

I truly can say I did not have a negative experience with this organization.

Keep up the good work.

Aspiring company with growing pains and no corporate culture

Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Storage Engineer in Sterling, VA

I worked at Strategic Business Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SBS has a quick hire process. All my colleagues seemed very nice. The company trusts you to do your job and pays well.

Cons

I barely met anyone in the company; I only met my boss in person when I was on vacation. For me, the corporate culture was non-existent. Training budget was also non-existent.

Arrange face-to-face team meetings at least annually. Provide opportunities for training other than [whatever's free]. Grow your company slower with respect to your project management team, which was sorely overworked.

Great culture!

Current Employee - Storage Architect
    Current Employee - Storage Architect

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a genuine interest in the employees, a rare trait for consulting businesses today.

Cons

There really are no cons that I can think of at this time. They are very proactive in ensuring that work is available and the employees are productive and happy.

Keep doing what you do

Temp agenciy for Hitachi

Current Employee - Data Storage Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to gain experience, leave at first opportunity.

Cons

Company is currently laying off Senior Engineers due to re-structuring of it main client Hitachi Data Systems.

Company does not honor or pay for accrued vacation/benefits when laying of workers.

Please review your employee management practices. Could lead to trouble.

Great Team of People

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time

Pros

If you are interested in working on the latest in storage and networking technology, SBS works will of the major providers

Cons

SBS is in the PS business, so you have to be willing to continually improve in order to stay valuable to clients

Continue to work on employee career development

Exodus of consultant talent is occurring...

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Strategic Business Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are green on the consulting side, it may be a good company to start at to hone your skills. Did get a regular paycheck.

Cons

SBS was a respected consultant company before Brocade bought them, then sold them off after the Brocade VP that spearheaded the purchase was fired. Has not been the same company since. It's too bad - before the company was sold to Brocade there was great talent and a real sense of community within SBS

Emotional, inexperienced management. Don't seem to care enough about career development to do yearly reviews and the excuse not to do them is... no pay increases expected so what's the point.

Don't expect any training unless it's on your time.

Current leadership is failing the company. Hire new management that understands consultants are their most valuable asset. Without strong consultants that are treated with respenct, SBS will only be a temp contract company in my opinion. Stop using non-compete threats as a way to try retain people. It doesn't work and it only makes people more determined to leave.

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - SAN/NAS Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - SAN/NAS Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible with accomodating your personal needs. Works hard to keep employees informed.

Cons

Pretty much all the jobs involve travel.

Keep doing a great job!

Room for improvement, could be a great place to work at.

Current Employee - Consultant in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to get exposure to a lot of different technology. Small company atmosphere, so you can make an impact. You can travel and see places.

Cons

Severe lack of communication. No career path or advancement. The company is a body shop of engineers not consultants. You have to be in the inner circle to advance. There is a lack of vision in the company.

Innovate or be marginalized.

They promise you the world until you sign their employment offer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Strategic Business Systems

Pros

You will get paid. You will be insured. You will be able to travel to client sites.

Cons

This company is essentially a temp agency. They fill positions for large corporations (Dell, EMC, VMware, and Northrop). Most of their contracts can be canceled with little notice leaving employees without a job if they cannot find a new position. There is also a 0% bench time policy. If your job ends, your employment will be terminated. The business was thriving until it was sold to BRCD in 2008 and then started to crumble with the same management team that was in place. Management was disengaged after the sale to Brocade and never made any attempts to grow the business causing salary and hiring freezes for several years.

Pay and insurance benefits are below industry standards.
    401K benefits - not worth mentioning.

Please stop listening to the lady in charge. Implement annual employment reviews and start paying attention to employee needs to perform and complete tasks.