Strategic Fundraising

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Mike Bills

Fun, supportive work environment

Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsCreate your own schedule, you just have to follow it. Raise money for political causes and non profits

ConsMust like phone work to succeed.

Honest, ethical, meaningful-but not easy

Professional Fundraiser (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsThe job is consistent and steady-I know what to expect day in and day out. They treat me fairly and while some of the policies are ticky tack, they seem to exist for reasons that mostly make sense. They allow me to dress comfortably at work, but they did ding me for my flip flops. I've worked at other call centers where my bonus isn't ever attainable and I can honestly say that when I work harder and get on a roll, my bonus reflects that. They also raise money for non profit organizations like Operation Smile, Feeding America, and Prison Fellowship Ministries-which are all really awesome organizations and fun to know that you are playing an active roll in helping people that need the help.

Events are pretty fun. They've done barbeque's, pizza, recognition for someone that hit a large number of money raised. Picnics and Christmas gigs. Those are decent with free food and some funny awards.

Management is very real-normal human beings that you can talk to and not feel like they are looking down on you. It feels like they row right along with you because they have all been in that position before.

There is a new bonus and it rocks in comparison to the old system. I expected it to get "nixed", but it seems like they are going to keep it as company policy. This is really lucrative to those that raise lots of money.

Free coffee is nice too. Building is fairly newer in renovation, so it's not nasty-the work space is pretty well maintained. Every time we ran out of something, they were happy to replenish (Kleenex, papertowls or plates). I've never worked anywhere that had free popcorn or regular breaks. Some call centers make me get a sale before I get a break, but that never happened at Strategic.

I like that I'm a Professional Fundraiser and not "just" another Telemarketer.

All in all-it's a good work environment.

ConsIt is politically driven, so if you aren't into politics-this job could be your worst nightmare. The base pay feels low for this type of work, and I get minimum wage for breaks. I will say that since I'm not working, it's not the end of the world-but it seems like a cheap move to only pay minimum wage for a break or lunch.

The temperature is sometimes hotter than what I'd expect in an indoor job. Not sure if there are AC issues, but seems to be the case.

I get rolled alot from one list to another. Some people like variety, but I don't like that much change in my work day. So-one minute I'm calling for a Republican cause and the next minute, I'm calling for a non profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider paying more for non production time-as I'm sure you come off as "cheap" to those that are coming through the doors. Figure out the temperature AC issue for your Fundraisers.

Great Experience, It honed my verbal Sales skills

Professional Fundraiser (PFR) (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsGreat Choice of hours,
    Compensated for consistent fundraising skills
    Continual training from your team leaders
    Fun community to work within with in office games, and lunchtime social events like company sponsored grill outs during the lunch hour

ConsYou get Cussed out by customers frequently
    Lots of disappointment
    Continual rejection
    You stare at a screen for however long you work

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better lighting and paint the walls a lighter shade to increase your fundraisers ability to deal with rejection by having a fun filled bright workplace

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One heck of a roller coaster

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsYou get to work with great people everyday. They are very good with scheduling and giving time off when you ask for it.

ConsI would have to say that advancement is fairly easy in the company, however once you make it up to that level it seems the pay is very poor for the job. Other call centers offer much better salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries are low. Bring salaries up to par with other area call centers to help retention rates and overall morale of all your management team members.

T-E-L-E-M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G

Professional Fundraiser (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsMade some good friends.
    Work the hours you want.
    Management was ok.

ConsConning the elderly out of money, even if their husband had just died. I couldn't stomach how much I had to lie to the customers and push them to donate to the "political" campaigns we were promoting at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone doesn't want to buy, don't put down or threaten the person reading the script you gave them with lose of work.

Not too bad

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsYou get to set your own hours which is great, but this is not a place that I'd want to work long term.

ConsYou do the same thing over and over again. It gets fairly boring! Also, a lot of people have been complaining lately about their checks being wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the enthusiasm. For the most part, you guys do a great job. You should probably look at promoting some more females.

It's Okay - Barely - For This Type of Work

Professional Fundraiser (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsPays a little better than many call centers.

They allow some flexibility in scheduling.

ConsA LOT of turnover. You know there's something wrong with a place when they start new employee training classes every week or two, and there's still plenty of cubicles left for them to use.

PETTY employee policies. Examples include a point system for disciplinary purposes ("offenses" can include taking too long in the restroom); changing your pay rate to the minimum-wage level for the morning pep talk, coaching and review sessions, and your 10-minute break; and now having to check your messages, schedule makeup time (if needed), etc. BEFORE you can clock in. I think that also may be illegal under wage and hour statutes.

Only the select few get to advance. And we recently found out that new hires (yes, LESS experience people) are making $2 more per hour than those of us who are veterans.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the same rate for all work-related activities. Make the benefits better. And work at making people better even more than you do now.

T

PFR (Former Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsSome of the co workers were ok...those that weren't trying to smuggle illegal drugs into the restrooms..something else.

ConsThere was no trace of integrity. A typical Republican-focused money grabbing operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some basic human values

WORST BOARD & MANAGEMENT TEAM EVERY ASSEMBLED...RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY...FAST!

ProsNone. The entire management team needs to be replaced immediately. The Board needs to sell the company to someone else that knows how to govern a company.

ConsBUSINESSES - Non Profits, Commercial & Political - DO NOT GIVE YOUR BUSINESS TO THIS COMPANY!
    JOB SEEKERS - Don't even think about working here - RUN SOMEWHERE ELSE, FAST!

Three reasons why you should not give your business to Strategic Fundraising & Call Assistant: (1) Worst management team starting with the Board, CEO, COO, CFO and CIO. They do have some decent employees that care about their clients. But, the top management has no plan behind anything that they do and everything 'Flies by the seat of your pants'. Very sad. (2) Board is filled with Private Equity investors that have invested in both the companies. Every dollar you give them, one thirds of that is pocketed as profit. Yes, this is a true number and (3) The employee morale is beyond low, which typically leads to sub-par results in many areas & also the company does not take care of the employees across the board - which does not help fix the low morale situation.

Three reasons why you should not work at Strategic Fundraising & Call Assistant: (1) You will rarely get a pay raise (2) You will work for senior management that does not plan anything & everything they ask you to do is always last minute i.e. if you want heart palpitations, bad health and die early - this will be your place to work, if not preserve your sanity and work somewhere else and (3) There is no growth opportunity because the Board/Private Equity owners do not allow the management team to invest in employees or new positions, hence your role always stagnates.

You can read all of this and say, this can't be true - well, you'd be wrong. When you work with this company, you'll immediately find out everything here is true and you will completely regret your choice. You have been warned! Take this warning and run fast - somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow can you be so incompetent and yet be so unaware of your complete incompetence? How can the Board not see this complete incompetence? It is beyond amazing.

Worked for Strategic Fundraising? Contribute to the Community!