Strategic Fundraising

Strategic Fundraising Reviews

Updated November 7, 2014
Updated November 7, 2014

Mike Bills

Nice people, terrible company after merger

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good pay if you have no college degree
    - Can earn PTO
    - Decent benefits
    - Lots of breaks
    - Open door policy

Cons

- Mentally stressful
    - unfulfilled promises
    - Don't pay for high performance
    - some managers are rude and unhelpful
    - Need to tolerate being screamed at on the phones regularly

Get a bonus program and pay employees for doing better. Stop making excuses.

a great place to work

Former Employee - PFR in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - PFR in Springfield, MO

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time

Pros

company people management, you feel like family great work and life balance

Cons

can be mentally stressful at times

none

Post acquisition issues

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Original management staff was much more professional than post acquisition management. Communication pre acquisition much more clear and transparent. Work life balance was somewhat achieved with work from home option.

Cons

Post acquisition the company went down hill. Lack of leadership and direction. Unethical business practices. Numerous issues during transition and beyond including elimination of key roles. Company values disappeared once new management took over.

Not what it once was.

Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Strategic Fundraising part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have made friends here. That has become the ONLY good thing.

Cons

The bonuses have gone down since Call Assistant bought us. They change your pay to minimum wage for any work task not on the phone. You have to clock out just to use the rest room or get a drink. You mat get called on the carpet by one manager for doing things exactly the way another manager told you to do it. Need I go on? That's just the start.

I won't offer any. They don't listen or care.

T-E-L-E-M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Made some good friends.
    Work the hours you want.
    Management was ok.

Cons

Conning the elderly out of money, even if their husband had just died. I couldn't stomach how much I had to lie to the customers and push them to donate to the "political" campaigns we were promoting at the time.

If someone doesn't want to buy, don't put down or threaten the person reading the script you gave them with lose of work.

T

Former Employee - PFR in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - PFR in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the co workers were ok...those that weren't trying to smuggle illegal drugs into the restrooms..something else.

Cons

There was no trace of integrity. A typical Republican-focused money grabbing operation.

Learn some basic human values

WORST BOARD & MANAGEMENT TEAM EVERY ASSEMBLED...RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY...FAST!

I have been working at Strategic Fundraising

Pros

None. The entire management team needs to be replaced immediately. The Board needs to sell the company to someone else that knows how to govern a company.

Cons

BUSINESSES - Non Profits, Commercial & Political - DO NOT GIVE YOUR BUSINESS TO THIS COMPANY!
    JOB SEEKERS - Don't even think about working here - RUN SOMEWHERE ELSE, FAST!

Three reasons why you should not give your business to Strategic Fundraising & Call Assistant: (1) Worst management team starting with the Board, CEO, COO, CFO and CIO. They do have some decent employees that care about their clients. But, the top management has no plan behind anything that they do and everything 'Flies by the seat of your pants'. Very sad. (2) Board is filled with Private Equity investors that have invested in both the companies. Every dollar you give them, one thirds of that is pocketed as profit. Yes, this is a true number and (3) The employee morale is beyond low, which typically leads to sub-par results in many areas & also the company does not take care of the employees across the board - which does not help fix the low morale situation.

Three reasons why you should not work at Strategic Fundraising & Call Assistant: (1) You will rarely get a pay raise (2) You will work for senior management that does not plan anything & everything they ask you to do is always last minute i.e. if you want heart palpitations, bad health and die early - this will be your place to work, if not preserve your sanity and work somewhere else and (3) There is no growth opportunity because the Board/Private Equity owners do not allow the management team to invest in employees or new positions, hence your role always stagnates.

You can read all of this and say, this can't be true - well, you'd be wrong. When you work with this company, you'll immediately find out everything here is true and you will completely regret your choice. You have been warned! Take this warning and run fast - somewhere else.

How can you be so incompetent and yet be so unaware of your complete incompetence? How can the Board not see this complete incompetence? It is beyond amazing.

Fun, supportive work environment

I worked at Strategic Fundraising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Create your own schedule, you just have to follow it. Raise money for political causes and non profits

Cons

Must like phone work to succeed.

It's Okay - Barely - For This Type of Work

Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Strategic Fundraising part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays a little better than many call centers.

They allow some flexibility in scheduling.

Cons

A LOT of turnover. You know there's something wrong with a place when they start new employee training classes every week or two, and there's still plenty of cubicles left for them to use.

PETTY employee policies. Examples include a point system for disciplinary purposes ("offenses" can include taking too long in the restroom); changing your pay rate to the minimum-wage level for the morning pep talk, coaching and review sessions, and your 10-minute break; and now having to check your messages, schedule makeup time (if needed), etc. BEFORE you can clock in. I think that also may be illegal under wage and hour statutes.

Only the select few get to advance. And we recently found out that new hires (yes, LESS experience people) are making $2 more per hour than those of us who are veterans.

Pay the same rate for all work-related activities. Make the benefits better. And work at making people better even more than you do now.

Honest, ethical, meaningful-but not easy

Current Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Strategic Fundraising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job is consistent and steady-I know what to expect day in and day out. They treat me fairly and while some of the policies are ticky tack, they seem to exist for reasons that mostly make sense. They allow me to dress comfortably at work, but they did ding me for my flip flops. I've worked at other call centers where my bonus isn't ever attainable and I can honestly say that when I work harder and get on a roll, my bonus reflects that. They also raise money for non profit organizations like Operation Smile, Feeding America, and Prison Fellowship Ministries-which are all really awesome organizations and fun to know that you are playing an active roll in helping people that need the help.

Events are pretty fun. They've done barbeque's, pizza, recognition for someone that hit a large number of money raised. Picnics and Christmas gigs. Those are decent with free food and some funny awards.

Management is very real-normal human beings that you can talk to and not feel like they are looking down on you. It feels like they row right along with you because they have all been in that position before.

There is a new bonus and it rocks in comparison to the old system. I expected it to get "nixed", but it seems like they are going to keep it as company policy. This is really lucrative to those that raise lots of money.

Free coffee is nice too. Building is fairly newer in renovation, so it's not nasty-the work space is pretty well maintained. Every time we ran out of something, they were happy to replenish (Kleenex, papertowls or plates). I've never worked anywhere that had free popcorn or regular breaks. Some call centers make me get a sale before I get a break, but that never happened at Strategic.

I like that I'm a Professional Fundraiser and not "just" another Telemarketer.

All in all-it's a good work environment.

Cons

It is politically driven, so if you aren't into politics-this job could be your worst nightmare. The base pay feels low for this type of work, and I get minimum wage for breaks. I will say that since I'm not working, it's not the end of the world-but it seems like a cheap move to only pay minimum wage for a break or lunch.

The temperature is sometimes hotter than what I'd expect in an indoor job. Not sure if there are AC issues, but seems to be the case.

I get rolled alot from one list to another. Some people like variety, but I don't like that much change in my work day. So-one minute I'm calling for a Republican cause and the next minute, I'm calling for a non profit.

Consider paying more for non production time-as I'm sure you come off as "cheap" to those that are coming through the doors. Figure out the temperature AC issue for your Fundraisers.

Strategic Fundraising Photos