Stratmark Reviews

4.0
Tim Kersten

1. I worked at STRATMARK (now KerstenDirect) for several years

I worked at Stratmark

Pros

Relaxed but focused environment where you and a great bunch of people can help non-profits (mostly churches and charities) do good works. Less than average office politicking, helpful and friendly co-workers, and a reassuring focus by management on team building as a company.

Cons

The company is finally recovering from a time when departments were adversarial about assigning blame to one another, but small ripples can still be felt. For all their stated focus on looking foreword to new ideas and approaches in the direct marketing field, they keep making the same mistakes over and over again when it comes to winning and keeping new clients. The "on the ground" employees do their best to work smarter not harder, and the employees who run the show do their best to render those efforts irrelevant. They have all the resources, intelligence, and opportunities to start projects/proposals early, work effectively, and produce wonderful work. The people that cause the "big projects" to be delayed until (or revamped at) the last minute are not held accountable, and don't really care given that they aren't responsible for actually getting the work done anyway. STRATMARK always attracted the kind of employees that took pride in helping non-profits help other people. That was why the environment is so welcoming and friendly; the employees are the type that take pleasure in helping people. When I was laid off, there was a push in the company to start courting conservative political groups as clients. Their target audiences have money, they are often non-profits (STRATMARK's stated focus), and it was thought they could be charmed by how religious-friendly we were. Suddenly employees who signed up to have pride in their clients' works had to decide if they wanted to help sell the vitriol and misinformation that comes with politics. I fear if STRATMARK keeps heading down the road toward political clients looking to help themselves, rather than charities looking to help others, they'll lose the one redeeming factor being employed there has: awesome co-workers full of caring and compassion.

Advice to Management

Step back and LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES. When I was laid off, I agreed with the massive cuts that were used to take the company down to fit its current client list. We were too big, and I was part of the flab: no hard feelings. The people who WEREN'T fired, however, were the people who's failure was responsible for getting us in that spot. I worry for my friends that are still with STRATMARK. “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" --Albert Einstein

2. Great family feel for office environment, but gambled on one client and suffered biggest setback in 28 year history.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Stratmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super friendly group of folks who are down to earth and want you to succeed. No hidden agendas. No red tape to cut through as everyone is in the same building and can make decisions quickly when required.

Cons

Became heavily overloaded on one particular client and lost them as a client. 20+% employee base layed off in one day as a stop gap.

Advice to Management

Continue landing new clients and don't let a single one account for more than 10% of total revenues.

RSS Feed </> Embed