Stratosphere Networks

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.1

CEO

Great opportunities for hungry professionals

Current Employee - Consultant in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Stratosphere Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stratosphere is a great place for either an entry level to advanced position. No one day is the same. You are consistently being challenged by management to grow your skill set and advance your career. The things I've learned within 6 months of working at Stratosphere is something it takes years in other companies to learn. There is tremendous opportunity for growth for someone that is dedicated and wants to learn the business.

Cons

Expect sometimes to have to come in early and stay late.

Management really makes you feel like family. They really want you to be successful and ensure that you have the tools you need to be successful. If they keep promoting the family mentality and great work-life balance Stratosphere will continue to grow for years to come.

Worst place to work EVER...

Former Employee - Helpdesk Support in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Support in Evanston, IL

I worked at Stratosphere Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Close to home. Decent Salary.

Cons

Getting yelled at by management on a daily basis. Verbally abused by management. The owner doesn't know how to communicate with his employees. All he does is yell at his employees. Supervisors also yells at people mainly because they are getting yelled at and they are beyond overworked. No real training is offered. Many people have quit because of management and even got in their face after the years of abuse that was dished out. Most new people don't stay long because of the lack of training, constant yelling and sink or swim attitude. no culture. Management is unprofessional and seems to be just as happy to see you fail as you would think they'd be to see you succeed. You are yelled at in front of everyone and coworkers seem to place bets to see how long new employees will last as they are never really trained and expect to not make mistakes. Best of luck to those still there. It was a blessing when I left.

Change of management attitude towards their employees.

Mom and Pop Shop

Former Employee - Helpdesk Support Technician in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Support Technician in Evanston, IL

I worked at Stratosphere Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free coffee, casual dress environment, laid back environment, occasional bonuses, free pizza on Fridays (too bad it's cheap pizza from Little Ceasars)

Cons

No formal training program is in place for new hires. Upper mangement speaks to employees in a condescending manner. Parking is horrible so expecting to get tickets or even towed by the city of Evanston. After a week of system training they throw you to the sharks. Be ready to be micro managed to the fullest. The air conditioning doesn't work consistely. Poorly lighted working environment.

Learn how to speak to people without being condescending or insulting their intelligence! Don't treat your staff as if they are expendable!

An extended family and a place to grow your career.

Current Employee - IT Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Stratosphere Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are serious about a career in IT - this is the place for you. You get immersed in IT and work with clients of all setups, configurations, etc. The team is great.

Cons

If you are an IT person that wants to work in 1 environment - then look elsewhere. You need to be nimble and dynamic to work with anything IT which to me is an IT persons DREAM!!!

Your passion for clients and your team shows. Keep up the good work! Thanks for creating an awesome place to work.

Fantastic Company Culture and a Environment For Growth

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Evanston, IL

I worked at Stratosphere Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Team oriented, amazing core culture, open door policy with management to discuss performance - growth as well as address life matters, a team that is flexible with you as an individual. With any technical support position clients at times can be stressed; however, your team comes together to help. You are not just a number hear as management listens and you form an awesome bond with your team and management. Individuals growth is really based on them and truly what you put in is what you get out.

Cons

My commute to the network operations center was at times 1 hour to 1.5 hours based on Chicago traffic. Management worked with me to set me up to work from home and it solved all my traffic woes. So this isn't really a con in my opinion as they worked around my personal life. I would still be there today; however, my I had another child and they became my main focus - but the door is always open at Stratosphere.

Keep on doing what you are doing. While other companies that I've worked for loses sight on the individual, you don't!

Teamwork is the ability to work as a group toward a common vision. Unfortunately, you won't find that here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

I worked at Stratosphere Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment is pretty laid back and there is a casual dress code. Other perks include free birthday lunches, support awards, fun team events and holiday parties, fun people to work with.

Cons

If you work here be prepared to defend yourself as coworkers are quick to throw one another under the bus when a project goes wrong. Unfortunately, this is frequent due to the poor communication among employees and management.

It seems as though most of the day is spent correcting mistakes made by project managers or engineers. Many employees/engineers are not properly trained and project managers are reluctant to help newer employees due to laziness, or because they find it amusing to watch newer employees struggle. There is a high employee turnover due to this type of working environment. Once you begin your employment there, employees will place bets on how long you will actually last.

If you work here you will need to be able handle criticism/yelling from management. Most of which is done publicly where everyone can see and hear. There is also a chain of command in effect so when something goes wrong management usually only goes off of what supervisors or project managers tell them before getting all the details. My advice, to avoid any blame make sure you back up your work and follow everything up with an email.

If you work for the Telephony team or Data team you must be prepared to work long hours which you will not get compensated for.

Ensure you have all details about a situation before calling out employees. If you do need to talk to an employee about a situation, call them into your office and speak to them privately.
    Develop a better training program or classes. Shadowing a tech or a project manager isn't sufficient enough.

Fun people to work with, not a fun place to work at.

I worked at Stratosphere Networks

Pros

Fun people, quarterly support awards, quarterly team events, free birthday lunches, random free food, casual dress code. Ability to work from home. Will help you train and grow your skills (if they like you).

Cons

Parking behind office is like sardines in a can. HIGH employee turnover. Some employees do not get proper training, if at all. HR's worst nightmare: need ability to take jokes lightly, including racist, and handle criticism/yelling from management even when it is not your fault - which will all be out in the open for everyone to hear. Be prepared to work long hours and not get compensated for it.

Give employees a chance to speak and actually listen to them, don't treat them like they're expendable. Before you start lashing out on someone (publicly), take a minute and make sure you know all the details of the situation. If you want your employees to stay longer than a year, give bigger raises.