Strayer Education

Strayer Education Chairman and CEO Robert S. Silberman

Robert S. Silberman

Great company

Billing Specialist (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsBenefits here are great, lots of room for advancement

ConsHours are not consistant for all employees

This is an unethical place to work.

Campus Dean (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsIt was a great company to work for until the money ran out!!! Then they embraced Jack Welch and he encouraged them for stab their own employees in the back.

ConsThe work-life balance is very challenging since you are always understaffed. The company goes through different regimes. There is a rogue group from Texas running the company's academics department now. They legally stole my job due to the convenience of a layoff. However, everyone else from my for office was given a job or the option of having a job. I had a handicap, and I went to the hospital last year. They were able to discriminate against me legally.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun your company. Stop trying to run your company through reports. Just like all of these other overnight colleges; how can you hold people responsible for retention, when many of your students shouldn't be in college in the first place.

From bad to worse

ProsBeing able to say you have a job. Of course, these days, that could change in an instant.

ConsThose at the top are unethical, and they trickle down the unethical demands and want lower management to sell it as acceptable "in the best interest of the student." NOT. It is in the best interest of the bottom line and the continued vacations and dollar growth of the top 1%, however, and this seems to be the important thing.
    Layoffs are used to get rid of old-timers who remember how good things used to be, and their jobs are given to those who have no idea what they are getting into. Campuses are understaffed and overworked. Deans are glorified button pushers who might as well work for and not with the director. ……….. It goes on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics. Treat your employees like people instead of cattle.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Zero personal growth, terrible office politics

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsI had an abnormally high salary, especially given the fact that I had no experience in the industry or the occupation. Most others were not paid so well.

ConsWas worked to the bone and treated poorly. Department "cleanouts" are almost a part of the culture at Strayer; they happen all the time. if your department gets new leadership during your time there, be wary. I've seen some very highly competent, accomplished, and charismatic managers who had been with the company for 15+ years get pushed out solely their new boss did not personally hire them.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy story is similar to many others': I had a boss who always took credit for my (very significant) contributions for the company, and then tried to claim I did absolutely nothing during my time there. It was unbelievable. So, my advice, get rid of these leaders, fast! It is toxic to the work culture.

Exhausting.

Campus Dean (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsLots and Lots and lots of experience in change management.

ConsExperience becomes a death wish.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll top management from Disney and Goldman Sachs does not give you depth and understanding of the education process.

Not exciting

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

Prosless commute, no politics within team members since you don't work with team

ConsNo formal new hire orientation, poor management vision, laid back, not challenging, hard to make friends, working here feels like you are seating in a class.

...coming home to roost.

ProsConvenient work locations... for the time being.

ConsMicro management overload; inner-circle mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the hockey stick...

Worked for Strayer Education? Contribute to the Community!