Strayer University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Strayer University President Michael Plater

Michael Plater

Pros
  • 90% tuition assistance for Strayer University degrees(in 19 reviews)

• 90% tuition discount - only useful if you do not have a degree(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is absolutely no work-life balance and they only care about getting enrollments(in 16 reviews)

• The pay is paltry for the work load employees are expected to take on and there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever(in 12 reviews)

Great work culture at my location

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsEveryone knows their role and we have a dynamic work environment. No drama, we have won campus of year more than one time. Great bosses throughout the years that understand having a family and work life is important.

ConsNone that I can think of that is not fair or understandable

Great opportunity for those who seek

Admissions Officer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat employees and teamwork. It seems that, in my experience, the team is what makes the job. If you are in a bad team with a poor leader, you will struggle in this position. However, if your team is knowledgeable and willing to help each other out, your time with Strayer will be positive. The pay and benefits are decent, and the tuition remissions for employees is a wonderful asset for employees who'd like to continue their education on a budget. Private office, and independence on the job is also a plus.

ConsIf you leadership is poor, you will not enjoy this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop lower-level employees without worry of numbers. if development is good, the results will follow. Focusing only on numbers and missing chances for employee-growth will be poison to the campus.

Entire "University" is a Sinking Ship

Admissions Officer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWhile working here, I met some truly fantastic people. Many of my coworkers were dedicated to helping the students and were a pleasure to work with. 90% off tuition is a great benefit, and something that most people working here take advantage of.

ConsWhen I first started, I was literally thrown into the middle of everything without any basic training, including training on the school. As an Admissions Officer, I found it counterproductive to sell the school without any basic product knowledge. I use that terminology, because despite the "Admissions Officer" title that job is purely a high-pressure sales position with the students and their money from FASFA the sales.

During my tenure as an Admissions Officer, I cannot count on my hands how many different coworkers I had- and that is JUST the Admissions Officer position! The turnover is unusually high, and even the students will ask why there are always new people working in the administration office. The students are also always concerned about classes being canceled or their campus getting closed. Despite what they are being told- they have every right to be concerned. Everything is treated as a secret at Strayer, to the employees and students alike. No one knows what bad decision will be enforced next, until the changes have already been made.

Middle management (the Campus Directors) seem to be under a significant amount of pressure to "bring in the numbers", which means that every single one of them constantly micromanages everything that goes on in Admissions. And if for some reason you cannot meet their unrealistic quota (for reasons, such as, it's the week before Christmas and no one wants to talk to you about going to college) you are not only publicly chastised in front of all your colleagues, but you are told that if you keep that up you will be without a job. That is, unless you are said manager's favorite employee- nepotism runs rampant throughout this company. People are promoted due to being a favorite employee, regardless of their ability to manage or handle the responsibility of the position. For instance, incompetent workers are being promoted to Campus Director positions, even without the minimum of a college degree.

This pressure from management permeates among the lower level employees, and causes "team members" to steal sales (aka students) from each other, etc. This kind of behavior is only encouraged, since these "high performers" are put on a pedestal and then promoted even without possessing basic management skills. These favorites then get preferential treatment, for things such as salary. There is NO standard salary at Strayer- as an Admissions Officer some people earned as little as $34,000 while others earned "as much as" $45,000. For the EXACT same job, which was supposed to be not given monetary compensated for "sales".

Advice to Senior ManagementStop all of the false advertising. Stop telling potential employees that you encourage a work-life balance, because all employees figure out that this is impossible. While working here, you discourage any kind of life outside Strayer, including the refusal for basic holidays off. Maybe once this company is actually run like a higher education university instead of a company, all of the terrible managers can be replaced with those who actually care for the student needs and not just the superficial appearance of caring for the students.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent pay, low trust, high stress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is pretty good at most levels. Company truly tries to be an industry leader. Promotion often comes from within.

ConsHigh stress, high pressure. The feeling of what have you done for me today will always dilute your past accomplishments. Lots of corporate restructuring occurs. This creates instability and leads to lay offs. There is also a cap on the percentage that your salary can increase with promotion. The cap does not justify the amount of additional stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with an approach longer than 1 quarter. Too many knee jerk reactions occur and there is rarely long term follow through from upper management.

Nice company, bad Mgmt.

Admissions Officer (Former Employee) Trevose, PA

ProsYou get your own office. Hours are flexible. The pay is fair so are the benefits. You work independently. You have the satisfaction of helping a lot of people. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Everyone works as a team.

ConsMgmt is horrible. You learn the job on your own. You have goals to meet. If you don't meet your goals you are berated in front of your peers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch what middle management is doing instead of just worrying about meetings. Listen to employee complaints about middle mgmt so problems can be rectified (retraining).

Learning experience

Campus Dean (Former Employee) Augusta, GA

ProsBenefits were great, and opportunities as long as the company and education industry were doing well.

ConsLots and lots of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with employees. Spend time on the front lines, so that when employees on the front line are communicating the extent of the education industry decline, you are able to react much sooner to their concerns rather than when it is too late, and you end up closing 20 campuses because you were not listening and when you finally did, it was too late.

HR Living Nightmare

Academic Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsTuition Benefits and student interactions.

Conslittle pay raises if any, employee harassment from middle management with no help from HR after documenting and proving your complaints. Middle management says Upper management tells them to treat their employee as they see fit. HR laughs in your face and tell you they will get back with you and never return your call. I was asked what would I like to see happy, not provided with a solution after the harassment and bullying was proven.

Advice to Senior ManagementWise up. Stop being selfish and care about the people who are making your money! Have loyalty and protect those who are performing and are loyal to the company. Don't say things like focus about what you should be doing and not others like on VP sent out in a mass email.

Not a real school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can work in a nice building that is literally just a facade for scamming people out of their money. The facilities are really nice, it makes you feel like you work in a beautiful environment. However, i think Strayer has spent so much money on their "branding" that they forgot everything else that comes with running an institution of higher education. Their benefits package is perhaps maybe the only other thing that's good from Strayer.....BUT good luck being able to take off work to even go to the Dr to use said benefits!!

ConsNow that I work at a real institute of higher education, the glaring mistakes and downright unethical practices of this "college" are so apparent, that it's a huge surprise no one has blown the whistle on their operation. Pay is paltry, except for their recruiters who seem to make way more money than they should, leadership is clueless and unethical, you never know who your boss is or when another lay off is happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to everyone, including your students AND staff/faculty. Fire all your campus directors and start from scratch because none of them have any people skills or management experience, and the ones who have been in the position long enough to have some experience are just an HR nightmare waiting to happen. Spend some money on designing relevant classes and don't let your admissions team bully academics into getting what they want. You have a learning institution to run, let the advisors and academia handle that portion of your school. Train your employees on FERPA regulations. (ASAP!....how does someone working in your operations NOT know what FERPA? Isn't that 101 for an employee at a college?) I thought Strayer had a good mission at first, but the more time I spent there, the more I realized that they exploit certain minorities and groups of people. It's disgusting. Some of these people are so desperate for a better life and an education that they have no idea you are lying right to their face that their degree will mean nothing and their resume will get put at the bottom of the pile when hiring managers see where it's from. Shut the place down. Seriously.

Bitter Sweet

ProsAs an adult learner it is great to work with other adults who are pursuing a degree. Nice office job with student and classroom interaction. Strayer offers an opportunity to many who may not get another shot at a degree. Courses are designed for working adults. MBA program is good. Corporate allows each campus to shape their own culture. Decent pay. 90% tuition discount and benefits.

ConsCorporate is out of touch with the campus. Constant change w leaders who don't share the same visions/goals. There is no life-work balance (long work hours). Corporate makes major decisions without regarding their employees. Its always about getting new students, not a lot of effort to keep them. Most of the praise and attention goes to Admissions while other departments are struggling to keep the student progressing to graduation. Not enough resources to do the job we are asked to do. Why do employees have to front $ for campus events? Employees do not trust their managers and fear that they can lose their job at anytime. Business Office leadership/management has tanked. Students stress campus employees about things we cannot control (i.e. lack of academic support, financial aid process, refund checks). Many leaders have degrees outside of Strayer but Strayer only offers their employees a discount if they take Strayer classes. The work hours make it difficult to be a student.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespond to your employees when they need help or reach out for support. Respond to employee surveys similar to how you respond to student surveys. Employees want to see that your are listening and addressing their concerns. Offer more training and development. Be more transparent. Offer incentives to all employees. Spend more time and resources on improving courses and how they are designed.

Fast paced and Utter Chaos

Academic Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with good people on the campus level including instructors. Lots of training (webinars/conference calls) for new technology, or programs.

ConsThey change their regional leaders every few months, change their titles, then re-arrange the region. After about 2 years, I gave up trying to follow who my campus was under. I felt I was always scrambling to learn the new policies and what had become obsolete. I got the feeling after a while that management was just randomly throwing darts at a board to come up with new rules. Then they closed 20 campuses and we were all out of jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people in upper management are not from the field of education and have never personally dealt with students or the issues of a campus. And why, oh why did you ever introduce the 360 database when it was not even close to functional. I am convinced they got it cheap and employees were the guinea pigs around which they spent (and are still spending, I'm sure) then next 3 years making the program work so they could see what we're doing remotely. This decision cost the company millions in time, frustration, people (who left the company) and extra paper since everything took four times the paper to print. Wish you would have considered purchasing a functional system that actually worked and didn't use 20 keystrokes to get to the field just to put in a student address! What a time-waster!

Worked for Strayer University? Contribute to the Community!