Strayer University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Strayer University President Michael Plater

Michael Plater

Pros:
  • "Can work towards a degree with 90% tuition assistance"
    in 16 reviews
  • "90% tuition discount - only useful if you do not have a degree"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is absolutely no work-life balance and they only care about getting enrollments"
    in 15 reviews
  • "The pay is paltry for the work load employees are expected to take on and there is absolutely no work-life balance whatsoever"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nice company, bad Mgmt.

Admissions Officer (Former Employee)
    Trevose, PA

ProsYou get your own office. Hours are flexible. The pay is fair so are the benefits. You work independently. You have the satisfaction of helping a lot of people. Co-workers are friendly and helpful. Everyone works as a team.

ConsMgmt is horrible. You learn the job on your own. You have goals to meet. If you don't meet your goals you are berated in front of your peers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch what middle management is doing instead of just worrying about meetings. Listen to employee complaints about middle mgmt so problems can be rectified (retraining).

Learning experience

Campus Dean (Former Employee)
    Augusta, GA

ProsBenefits were great, and opportunities as long as the company and education industry were doing well.

ConsLots and lots of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with employees. Spend time on the front lines, so that when employees on the front line are communicating the extent of the education industry decline, you are able to react much sooner to their concerns rather than when it is too late, and you end up closing 20 campuses because you were not listening and when you finally did, it was too late.

Not a real school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can work in a nice building that is literally just a facade for scamming people out of their money. The facilities are really nice, it makes you feel like you work in a beautiful environment. However, i think Strayer has spent so much money on their "branding" that they forgot everything else that comes with running an institution of higher education. Their benefits package is perhaps maybe the only other thing that's good from Strayer.....BUT good luck being able to take off work to even go to the Dr to use said benefits!!

ConsNow that I work at a real institute of higher education, the glaring mistakes and downright unethical practices of this "college" are so apparent, that it's a huge surprise no one has blown the whistle on their operation. Pay is paltry, except for their recruiters who seem to make way more money than they should, leadership is clueless and unethical, you never know who your boss is or when another lay off is happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying to everyone, including your students AND staff/faculty. Fire all your campus directors and start from scratch because none of them have any people skills or management experience, and the ones who have been in the position long enough to have some experience are just an HR nightmare waiting to happen. Spend some money on designing relevant classes and don't let your admissions team bully academics into getting what they want. You have a learning institution to run, let the advisors and academia handle that portion of your school. Train your employees on FERPA regulations. (ASAP!....how does someone working in your operations NOT know what FERPA? Isn't that 101 for an employee at a college?) I thought Strayer had a good mission at first, but the more time I spent there, the more I realized that they exploit certain minorities and groups of people. It's disgusting. Some of these people are so desperate for a better life and an education that they have no idea you are lying right to their face that their degree will mean nothing and their resume will get put at the bottom of the pile when hiring managers see where it's from. Shut the place down. Seriously.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's all about the students.

Admissions Officer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsAwesome helping others achieve their goals.

ConsLow pay, need to increase to keep quality people.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe in touch with what's going on down in the trenches

Good work environment but pay is low for the area.

Herndon, VA

ProsPeople I work with.
    Ability to learn new skills.

ConsPay
    401K is also low matching
    2 layoffs since I've worked here

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive in pay and benefits if you expect the stronger workers to stick around long term.

Lack of Professionalism

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility for scheduling and on-line options make scheduling convenient for working adults. However, the lack of "campus presence" during the day does not give the university a true college feel.

ConsQuestionable integrity with regard to hiring and business practices. Everything is a sales pitch. There is no true academic depth. This is not a university, it is a business. I was truly shocked by the common practices that occur throughout the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire true professors and develop an organization that is academic rather than corporate.

Bitter Sweet

ProsAs an adult learner it is great to work with other adults who are pursuing a degree. Nice office job with student and classroom interaction. Strayer offers an opportunity to many who may not get another shot at a degree. Courses are designed for working adults. MBA program is good. Corporate allows each campus to shape their own culture. Decent pay. 90% tuition discount and benefits.

ConsCorporate is out of touch with the campus. Constant change w leaders who don't share the same visions/goals. There is no life-work balance (long work hours). Corporate makes major decisions without regarding their employees. Its always about getting new students, not a lot of effort to keep them. Most of the praise and attention goes to Admissions while other departments are struggling to keep the student progressing to graduation. Not enough resources to do the job we are asked to do. Why do employees have to front $ for campus events? Employees do not trust their managers and fear that they can lose their job at anytime. Business Office leadership/management has tanked. Students stress campus employees about things we cannot control (i.e. lack of academic support, financial aid process, refund checks). Many leaders have degrees outside of Strayer but Strayer only offers their employees a discount if they take Strayer classes. The work hours make it difficult to be a student.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespond to your employees when they need help or reach out for support. Respond to employee surveys similar to how you respond to student surveys. Employees want to see that your are listening and addressing their concerns. Offer more training and development. Be more transparent. Offer incentives to all employees. Spend more time and resources on improving courses and how they are designed.

Fast paced and Utter Chaos

Academic Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with good people on the campus level including instructors. Lots of training (webinars/conference calls) for new technology, or programs.

ConsThey change their regional leaders every few months, change their titles, then re-arrange the region. After about 2 years, I gave up trying to follow who my campus was under. I felt I was always scrambling to learn the new policies and what had become obsolete. I got the feeling after a while that management was just randomly throwing darts at a board to come up with new rules. Then they closed 20 campuses and we were all out of jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people in upper management are not from the field of education and have never personally dealt with students or the issues of a campus. And why, oh why did you ever introduce the 360 database when it was not even close to functional. I am convinced they got it cheap and employees were the guinea pigs around which they spent (and are still spending, I'm sure) then next 3 years making the program work so they could see what we're doing remotely. This decision cost the company millions in time, frustration, people (who left the company) and extra paper since everything took four times the paper to print. Wish you would have considered purchasing a functional system that actually worked and didn't use 20 keystrokes to get to the field just to put in a student address! What a time-waster!

Declining

Admissions Officer (Current Employee)
    Birmingham, AL

ProsFlexible Schedule, tuition assistance program

ConsNo upward Mobility, No graduate School Discounts

Advice to Senior ManagementAll students should be able to take advantage of Price Reductions

Strayer University

ProsReliable work, serious about their academic rigor. Contracts are being improved and are sometimes multi-term. For about 18 months, we had too many changes for an adjunct to keep up with.

ConsThey have many different online systems to learn, Strayer 360, Bb, ELI, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut all your information in ONE place, instead of twenty.

Worked for Strayer University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Strayer University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Strayer University CEO Michael Plater. All 179 reviews posted anonymously by Strayer University employees.