Stream Global Services

Updated October 23, 2014
2.8

Stream Global Services Chairman & CEO Kathryn Marinello
Kathryn Marinello

Pros
  • My role was odd, supporting both top execs and mid-level call center folks (in 18 reviews)

• Once you are past the entry level stuff (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • it was way better as just stream i think, but it is a call center (in 20 reviews)

• There are no raises just a bonus that less than 5% of employees ever reach (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

very good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

best place too work really enjoyed it there

Cons

favoritism needs to go away

Marginal experience, marginal work place, invisible merger to convergys - Dell ProSupport.

Former Employee - Dell ProSupport in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Dell ProSupport in Tampa, FL

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy entry. Need a job paying $12/hr? Just submit an application and they will call.
    Show up and you're okay.
    Last 6 months you can get moved around. If you're a bit ambitious it can be as little as 4 - 6 weeks.
    After 90 days you're considered a full "Dell" Prosupport Agent and can act in the role as one for everything.
    Can get off work easily, everyone hates it so they don't really pressure you to stay or guilt trip you in.

Cons

Low pay for work performed - Dell.
    *REAL* Dell Agents start at $15/hr for L1 - Prosupport is L2 which in TS and TX campus pay is minimum at $18/hr.
    Paychecks are handed out on Monday.
    Network Downtime is HUGE. Annoying, can't do any "work" - if the network goes down when you're on the phone - it's not fun to have to tell a client/customer to call back or that you would call them back. It is not on Dell's end - it is on Stream/Convergys end. 95% up time usually - horrible.

**Micromanaging by Moderators. ** Moderators are entry level management, literally middle - middle manager. Their main role is to make sure people (Internal Agents) don't commit fraud over providing service to the customer, then cost reduction, then agent education.

They try to force a "25" minute average time, if you go over they'll pester you every few minutes asking what's up. This is because they bill Dell .80 cents a minute, which is capped at 25 minutes - after that Stream/Convergys takes the bill. For the other metrics, they also receive quarter bonuses (not you, the employee, the employer - the company - stream/convergys) if they meet or excel in other metrics - customer satisfaction (CSAT), RDR - Return Dispatch Rate / if the issue was properly diagnosed, or not, - email bounce back, etc.

Horrible corporate "fun" days such as work in Pajamas (backfired horribly for the other call queues)
    Generic environment. No one is happy to be there. Grilled cheese tax day and etc. I guess you can say HR tries, but it is a hollow gesture.

Smokers unite, if you smoke you hang out in the front and make friends w/ management easiest this way.
    Managers/Team Leads/Moderators don't know your name unless you pop up on their watch list for poor customer reviews, poor customer service, not showing up, late or such- if you perform your metrics right they won't even say hello.

Don't hire people that don't know how to turn on a computer.
    Make the interview quiz much more complex, having people in the training class that don't know troubleshooting 101 is a pain for the whole class.
    Make checks available Friday, not Monday.

If this was a telecommute job, it wouldn't be as horrible.
    It won't happen with this job though, PCI compliance and Cust privacy..

Professional Advancement

Former Employee - Technical Support Professional I in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Professional I in Tampa, FL

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Afforded professional advancement which is based on metrics and performance. Stream holds employee retention as a key. Initial training programs, refresher, and formal advanced topic training is exemplary.

Cons

As Stream is a BPO, the environment is very fluid as Stream's customers needs change. Some individuals could be encouraged to recognize the team environment.

Tuition or industry certification reimbursement would be beneficial.

Abysmal

Former Employee - Technical Support Professional II in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Even the pro of "having a job" doesn't count because this place is just THAT bad (and I worked there for six years).

Cons

This is a churn-and-burn call center. They hire anyone who can pound their fist on a keyboard (we had an older woman who didn't know how to operate even the basics of windows). They stopped raises 2 years into my employment, citing "poor economy" but never reinstated them. When they do offer pay increases, they are tiny. The pile as much work onto one employee as they can. The most strict attendance policy I have ever encountered. They will not excuse absences from your pool, even if you can prove it was out of your control (like the MAX train losing power in the middle of the zoo tunnel). You must get permission if you need more than a quick sprint to the bathroom, even if it's an emergency like a bloody nose. They refuse to treat employees like adults. At best, they make half-hearted attempts to improve morale. But it's more looming over employees and demanding forced happiness rather than doing anything to inspire happiness. A frequent greeting between employees, at least on my contracts, was to mime some violent act--gun to the head, slit throat, noose--anything to signify "end this, now." Their health insurance is too expensive for their own employees to afford. It is a miserable, awful place that doesn't even pay very well. Here you are perpetually the middle child--all responsibility, no perks.

Train your employees better. Treat your employees with some measure of trust, as if they were actually adults. Don't micro-manage. Let your employees flourish, replace those who don't cut it. Provide for your employees. Maintain things that improve morale at all times, not just during crunch times--something more than activities intended for school children.

Great place to gain call center experience if u dint have any

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sometimes we do not get calls for weeks in a row but we still get paid.

Cons

No pay raises. No room for growth. Company just got bought out by converges. Always changing.

Fire all managers & get new ones

Really bad experience working at their eagan location.

Former Employee - Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Anyone will get hired. No drug test or background check. Nice job for those who cannot get anything else. Easy to get promoted.

Cons

People selling controled substances at work. Lots of favoritism and racial diacrimination. If you are white, you can get away with anything but if you are not, watch out.

Get your facts straight before acting on rumors.

Great for a start

Former Employee - Technical Support Professional in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Support Professional in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay is great and supervisors really do care about your success

Cons

The cafe was very singy. i asked for sugar packets and they charged me also a fork! it was a little ridiculous!

Many Many Calls

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Belleville, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Belleville, IL

I have been working at Stream Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great starting pay and training

Cons

short breaks, too many calls during the day

even the call distribution among employees

Wretched

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros: no manual labor. Get to sit at a desk all day.

Sometimes the customers were actually nice, or at least, weren't horrible excuses for human beings.

I did learn a bit about computers, networking, and more than I'll ever need to know about gaming consoles (one in particular).

They will hire ANYONE. Not minimum wage.

Cons

Run more like a prison than a workplace. Chained to your desk (via having to be available on phone). Breaks are timed. You get phone calls if you're on break/phone is set to meeting code (not available for call) too long. No phones, books, paper, pencils, ANYTHING allowed on-floor. Have to have a note if you're out sick, or you get "points" - too many points, and you get canned (Also get points for being late). Joyless, dismal place.

Treat your employees like people, not cattle. Loosen up the strings a bit and people won't be desperate to get out. Then you won't have to hire anyone desperate enough to apply, and you won't get screwups or idiots who ruin everything for the rest of us.

Worst experience ever

Former Employee - Retention Call Center in Rio Rancho, NM
    Former Employee - Retention Call Center in Rio Rancho, NM

I worked at Stream Global Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of a single pro

Cons

Stole from me let me go with drs notes didnt pay me my 1000.00 commission check or my final check

Get new manangement