Stress Engineering Services

3.6

Joe R Fowler

Intern in M&E

I worked at Stress Engineering Services

Pros

Fun, relaxed working environment. Flexible hours. Want you to learn more about the industry. Salary very good for an intern position. Free lunch is provided!

Cons

Sometimes project goals were not very clear. If work is slow then it is difficult to find something to do.

Old Boys Club

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Stress Engineering Services

Pros

It is a great price to make money. Overtime is offered to all and not monitored. Free lunch is brought in everyday for the technicians and there is always leftovers. If you don't gain weight, you are working the system right.

Cons

There isn't much opportunity for advancement. 360 evaluations are a joke. Employees are petty and childish towards co-workers and this behavior is encouraged by management. Everything depends on what someone says and what management thinks (i.e. gossip is rampant and encouraged). The environment is constant backstabbing and gossip. Your success is based on who likes you and staying under the radar. If anyone feels threatened by your work WATCH OUT! Management does NOT like change and only tell them what they want to hear. If you are a woman, don't expect to be treated with respect. The men advance and the women set up lunches and serve the men. It is an awful place to work.

Get new blood in the leadership, one that is open to change and does not encourage the abuses and misbehavior of the current senior management.

Nice people to work with, Very flexible, Interesting work

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stress Engineering Services as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I like the office to field work ratio. It was well balanced.
    Everyone is really nice

Cons

I had a sort of informal internship, so I didn't feel like I got the right experience

I had a great time working at SES, It almost felt like a summer camp.

With an unofficial internship, I got a great understanding on the specific tests that are being ran in their labs.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Stress Engineering Services as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about their testing first hand
    Leaders in their field
    Great people
    A lot knowledge

Cons

Did not get a lot of work with Engineers
    No official internship program

Set up an official internship program

Dream job for a self-driven, curious engineer.

Current Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Stress Engineering Services

Pros

You are limited only by your own technical competence. You are usually the one doing the technical work, be it analysis or testing, supervising any help you can get, managing the relationship with the customer, figuring out how much to bill the customer each month, and answering for any and all results. There is always a new, interesting problem to solve. If you feel stuck with one particular type of work and you want to do something else, you are limited only by your ability to convince customers to pay you for it. Lots of variety. Dummies are self-selected out of the company. You and everyone get to see the fruits (and shortcomings) of your work.

Cons

Every quarter hour has to be billed to a project. So, there is always an awareness that you are on the clock and that you have to account for all of the time you spend on someones project. The management strucutre is very flat so if you need some guidance, it is up to you to seek it out. If you are very busy, you might know that you have two to three weeks of work at the most (1 week is more the norm), so if you are prone to anxiety or worry about how much work you have or that you might run out of work, this might not be the place for you.

Thanks.