Stress Engineering Services

Joe R Fowler
1 Rating

Intern in M&E

I worked at Stress Engineering Services

Pros

Fun, relaxed working environment. Flexible hours. Want you to learn more about the industry. Salary very good for an intern position. Free lunch is provided!

Cons

Sometimes project goals were not very clear. If work is slow then it is difficult to find something to do.

Nice people to work with, Very flexible, Interesting work

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Stress Engineering Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I like the office to field work ratio. It was well balanced.
    Everyone is really nice

Cons

I had a sort of informal internship, so I didn't feel like I got the right experience

I had a great time working at SES, It almost felt like a summer camp.

With an unofficial internship, I got a great understanding on the specific tests that are being ran in their labs.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Stress Engineering Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot about their testing first hand
    Leaders in their field
    Great people
    A lot knowledge

Cons

Did not get a lot of work with Engineers
    No official internship program

Set up an official internship program

Dream job for a self-driven, curious engineer.

Current Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Stress Engineering Services

Pros

You are limited only by your own technical competence. You are usually the one doing the technical work, be it analysis or testing, supervising any help you can get, managing the relationship with the customer, figuring out how much to bill the customer each month, and answering for any and all results. There is always a new, interesting problem to solve. If you feel stuck with one particular type of work and you want to do something else, you are limited only by your ability to convince customers to pay you for it. Lots of variety. Dummies are self-selected out of the company. You and everyone get to see the fruits (and shortcomings) of your work.

Cons

Every quarter hour has to be billed to a project. So, there is always an awareness that you are on the clock and that you have to account for all of the time you spend on someones project. The management strucutre is very flat so if you need some guidance, it is up to you to seek it out. If you are very busy, you might know that you have two to three weeks of work at the most (1 week is more the norm), so if you are prone to anxiety or worry about how much work you have or that you might run out of work, this might not be the place for you.

Thanks.