Stride Rite

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gregg Ribatt

Pros
  • Discount on shoes if you have kids(in 4 reviews)

• They are flexible with school or other jobs, fun place to work with others and to work with kids(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay scale and the benefits were cut every year I worked there(in 5 reviews)

• no support from district leader or upper management(in 5 reviews)

Ok.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Rockaway, NJ

ProsHours flexible, paid even if no one comes into the store

ConsNo commission so no incentive, stupid survey, screaming kids

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who aren't stupid.

Needs Improvement

Key Holder (Former Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsYou get a pretty good discount, but you can't partake in the loyalty program. You also get a lot of customers who return over time and you get to know the family, which is pretty nice.

ConsParticipating in the loyalty program is a big no. Other companies such as GameStop allows their employees to practice this.

Stride Rite also cuts down on so many hours that most of the time on a busy night, you'll be handling more than 3 families by yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on promoting within the company rather than hiring new people, consider actually managing instead of giving yourself busy work to compensate for your lack of managing skills, and consider making it a requirement for district managers to know how to use the cash register. Management should also consider that because Stride Rite gives customers a full service, employees should be compensated more. Those in higher positions should also be a bit more proactive when it comes to responding to store managers as well, seeing as sales have actually been affected due to miscommunication.

My experience at stride rite has been a rollercoaster of emotions

Full Time-Stride Rite (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the customers you get are recurring and they're absolutely amazing and get the benefit of stride rite shoes for their kids. My district manager was understanding of my role in the store and gave me two raises and one promotion.

ConsThe manager focused more on sales than on the operations of the store. Focusing on sales isn't necessarily a bad thing but when all the other duties fall on the associates its hard to have respect for the manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would focus more on the associates than the managers. I feel as though some associates in some stores hold the store together better than some of the managers, yet they're the ones getting promotions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great but the manager was rediculous

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsChallenging atmosphere
    Fun working with my coworkers
    The kids can be so cute and rewarding!

ConsThe manager was a liar and he harrased his employees constantly.
    No opportunity for you to work up the company

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with employees with expectations and promotion opportunities

Not worth the pay

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) Tigard, OR

ProsI like the people I work with, that's about it. Sometimes you got a nice family that would make you laugh and make your day better and be more appreciative, but it was rare. It's fairly easy to get the hang of,

Cons-Customers are extremely rude, harsh, degrading and chilidish
    -Always seem to be understaffed
    -Upper management is awful, they were cutting hours and telling us to work off the clock so they could save money
    -Hours aren't that great
    -Very hard to get time off.
    -Closing by yourself is frustrating when a big rush of many families come in

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more understanding of what is actually going on in the store.

No growth, not very challenging

Store Manager (Former Employee) Yonkers, NY

ProsThere was always something to do. not very challenging.

ConsNo advancement for managers. Not having enough hours to make sure that the store was covered correctly.

Horriable!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Kenosha, WI

ProsDiscount on shoes if you have kids.

ConsVery unprofesional.
    No work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and keep your word.

Except for a few specific employees, i enjoyed it. The managers were all pretty cool for the most part

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou get to work with little kids and work with people who also like working with children, which usually means they're nice co-workers

Consclimbing up ladders and dealing with some unreasonable or idiotic customers.

Advice to Senior Managementif you want something done a certain way, make sure you tell ALL the store managers you want it that way, otherwise, the employees trying to do things right get trampled on by their regular manager instead of doing what the district manager wants

Challenging, love the kids!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat discounts on shoes for kids and adults, 40% off from Merrells, Sperry, all Wolverine brands as well as Saucony and Stride Rite brands. Flexible schedule. The customers are nice and the kids are fun to work with.

Conslow pay for associates, and they are expected to work as keyholders, no training for the associates, give no hours for training and no help on the back side of the company to the stores. No pay raises. No hiring help to find new applicants, have to go recruit. they don't put up any ads to bring in applicants. No positive reinforcements, only negative comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive training hours to actually train the associates. Don't have those hours count as actual payroll hours, to where it hurts the store. Put up ads on career sites to find new applicants. Don't micro manage the managers. Give them positive feedback not just negative ones.

I loved working here, you'll have a great experience working with kids.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEven if you having a bad day the kids that come in there will just make you happy to forget your problems.

ConsOnly cons I would say I would feel bad when they would call me last minute to come in and I'm somewhere else out of town

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger lunches would be nice. (:

Worked for Stride Rite? Contribute to the Community!