Stride & Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stride & Associates President and CEO Beth G. Gilfeather

Beth G. Gilfeather

Great place to kick off your career in sales you are motivated, good with people, and can see the big picture

Recruiter (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros-Great people, fun work environment
    -Excellent career growth opportunities
    -Opportunity to make an infinite amount of money if you are successful
    -Great training
    -An opportunity to learn a lot about companies in Boston and how businesses wok
    -Great place to develop sales/business skills such as: lead generation, client relationships, negotiations, time management, handling rejection, etc which will help you succeed in any company
    -You always know where you stand and know what you need to do to get a raise or promotion
    -Coworkers are very competitive yet supportive
    -They days go by fast!
    -This job can be very rewarding and you can make a difference for people
    -Great way to expand your own personal and professional networks even if you don't stay with the company
    -lots of fun perks

Cons-High turnover rate, although that is expected with any sales job
    -The days are very structured which helps you manage your time but can be annoying
    -The first three months or so are challenging and can be very frustrating if you don't stay motivated and put in 100% every day. You have to generate leads and find clients on your own so if you dont put in the effort from day 1 you will struggle
    -It can take a while to get going and can take longer than expected to make a lot of money, even if you are generating revenue for the company but when you do it is worth it
    -Outdated technology!
    -Strange interview process

Advice to Senior Management-Continue to expand the company and promote the brand in a positive way
    -Continue to focus on social media
    -Update the technology!
    -Either separate the two "brands " more or have them collaborate more so people don't get confused and get the wrong impression

Good place to start, but wouldn't make a career out of it. Way easier ways to make better money elsewhere.

Placement Counselor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat entry level training program
    young hip atmosphere.
    The path is clear for advancement if this type of work is your bag.

ConsTerrible pay even for entry level, but the worst part is no commission.

Unrealistic goals for how much money you will make. I worked there for 10 months, billed over 100k ( and in recruiting there is very little over head so that is a nice chunk) and my salary went from 30k to a whopping 37,500 a year. In my entire peer group of all the people I knew when I worked there that had proven themselves and were supposed to have this great career path, only one of them is still there. None of those that made manager came close to making 100k.

It has bean a few years since I worked there and I have heard they have gotten more up to date but they literally use no technology and no CRM.

There methods are a little dated and I had never seen that they work, seeing our competition used them to their success. (No phone screens?)

Managers are young and not very experienced. Seeing they only promote from within it is very feasible that all the Senior level people have never worked at another company before and only see the business world through the Stride "bubble" . They also play favorites which was a big reason I left.

There is allot of attempted indoctrination in this company. Almost like a cult and if you cant "hack it" here, than your clearly sub par. Ya right. I see allot of reviews on here talking about how much money the senior management here make. What took them 10 years to achieve at Stride I made in my new job in 3. I also didn't see any of them mentioning the draw you have to make when your management to even begin making commissions. Ridiculous. If you are that good of a recruiter than just set up your shop. You will make allot more.

They also keep talking about the entrepreneurial mind set you need to succeed here. If they were that entrepreneurial they would be working for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there is a reason that Stride has never really taken off and has sort of stayed stagnant for all these years. It is because it is the way it is run is so old school it doesn't make any sense in this day and age. A recruiting company that specializes in technology people yet doesn't embrace even the simplest of technologies (CRM's) themselves. I don't think the continued name changing is helping your brand either.

Entry Level Opportunity that offers true career advancement

Division Manager (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsHighly Desireable Pay Structure for Senior Management
    Complete merit based advancement / promotion structure
    A level Sales / Management Training
    Fosters entreprenuerial spirit.
    Hands on MBA in building relationships with companies / businesses of all different industries and structures from the Fortune 100 to the tech start up to the heavily regulated industry.

ConsThe biggest reasons why people end up not being succesful in stride is that you need to have an entprenuerial mindset. It is not an organization where the "staff mentality" is encouraged.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue epansion of current company footprint.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Live and Learn

Practice Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to experience rejection. If you take it personally then this isn't the place for you. If you have a tough skin then you will be fine. I'm glad I got the oppurtunity to work here at a young age. (just out of college). Great people to work with in the "trenches". Also, learn to develop good cold calling skills if there is such a thing.

ConsMicro management is the death of all business. It stifles creativity and problem solving, need to get away from the "amway" atmosphere. If I place someone I don't need to give everyone a high five. Just let me do my job. I feel bad selling something that does not exist most of the time. How can one believe in selling some hing that doesn't exist? If we don't have the right candidate, then come clean, don't waste time trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t. One thing I've learned as a business owner (that's right) is that people can sniff out a fraud. You will gain respect and trust not telling lies. This company seems to have a bad reputation as a over promise/under deliver provider as opposed to the opposite. All in all a great learning experience that I will always be greatful for ,but you will have to drink the koolaid to make it past the first week.
    Also, I don't know how they got away with competing with each other under the same parent company in Boston. I guess they just want to hit a homerun everytime by making you lie about affiliations.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys have been around since I was there in 1999 to 2001 so you have to be doing something right! Capitalistm at its finest !! Glad to see that they are still around and evolving with the times. Instead of chewing up and spitting out the new hires give them enough slack to break away from the template. I am willing to bet that better business relationships will be formed and much higher returns on the investment will be the result.

Great culture, innovative approach, amazing people - we just happen to do recruiting

Division Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNot everyone's looking for a job to become their own entrepreneur. This is one of the few jobs that you can harness your ambition and get a chance to move up in an organization that is constantly in need of new leaders.

It takes a very innovative company to embrace change the way Stride has - and people need to recognize that. Simple fact: 70% of Fortune 500 companies in 1975 have been replaced by more innovative and progressive companies.

I come to work every day motivated to work with great, motivated people with amazing ideas and I leave work inspired to make it better the next day.

ConsThere are a lot of people bitter out there that the story here didn't work for them or the experience they had wasn't positive so they spend their career trying to drag us down. No matter how much Stride has listened and adapted to those concerns, you still hear old war stories from years ago saying that we're the same company, and that's simply not true. The con is that old rep that continually surfaces out there despite the changes we've made.

I prefer to a company committed to getting better as opposed to one that refuses to change. Believe me, I've quit the company before and have come back because it's a rare thing to see this.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to innovate and seek to redefine an industry.

Not too bad of a place, but seek employment elsewhere.

Division Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou can make good money if you move up company ranks.
    Most of the co-workers are decent people.
    The first few weeks of training are good for people coming straight out of college.

ConsEntry-level hires do a lo of the work but are not compensated accordingly.
    Doing the same exact thing everyday becomes very tedious.
    You get called some pretty nasty things when you call the hiring managers.
    Upper management does not listen to you.
    A lot of immature people in the company, it's amazing how many unprofessional e-mails I've received.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honesty with your employees. The people who are working in bullpen are the backbone of the company and should be treated accordingly.
    The pay structure is way off-base. An entry-level can make the company 15-30k with one placement, but they see little of it on their paycheck. Perhaps if they made more they would stay with the company longer.

Best decision I ever made

Practice Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsStride provides career and personal growth for those who take advantage of it. In my 3 years with the company, I've received 2 promotions and I'm now in a position to make over $100K this year, (which is insane for someone who is only 25 years old). I've learned how to communicate effectively and I've been groomed into a consummate business woman. I take pride in what I do and I look up to senior management and respect them for all they've done for my career. The people, environment, and culture of Stride is unlike anything else!

ConsSales and business development isn't for everyone. When I was entry level, I never considered a career in sales, let alone recruiting. I thought I would be better suited in the marketing, PR, or advertising industry. It takes a lot of hard work, dedication and perseverance. If you don't want to be challenged or push yourself to be successful, this isn't the opportunity for you. That being said, I'm glad I took the risk. I'm a much better person for doing so.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue evolving with emerging trends in technology and social media. It's exciting to see all the new things we've implemented so far!

An Awesome Opportunity

Division Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI have been with Stride for 7 years and counting. Its been an opportunity to grow as a business professional year after year. The road to success has not been easy but has certainly given me a opportunity to execute, make cash, grow and work at turning my weaknesses into strengths. Stride is what you make of it. The growth is great and this is a place where you can put yourself on a career path quite quickly. The people push you to be your best and anything short of that is unacceptable.

ConsPeople need to understand that what comes with opportunity comes hard work. This is not easy and it takes time and willingness to work on yourself as a business professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership team has grown and evolved over the years, keep up the great work!

Not everyone is entrepreneurial but for those who are...

(Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsStride & Associates is a great place to get kick your career off if you are interested in real business, sales/ marketing and relationship/client building. This company has a unique population of younger professionals who are interested in entrepreneurship. The training program and hands-on introduction to the way businesses operate in the "real world" is easily in the upper echelon of what most other companies can offer to entry level candidates. The company only hires entry level so the environment is upbeat, energetic and fun. Don't be mistaken though, this isn't an immature group of people. The best analogy I can give is that the teams they work in are like an AP class or varsity sports team. They know how to balance hard/smart work and having fun while maintaining a professional and goal oriented atmosphere.

If you consider yourself more mature than most of your peers or just naturally consider yourself more competitive and goal oriented than most of your friends then Stride & Associates offers a unique opportunity to not only get into a lucrative business but also gain training so that you can take on a leadership role within 2 years.

Stride also offers a base salary throughout your career at all levels (including commission roles), great benefits at a very cheap monthly price and 401k.

Average 1st year income is between $40,000 - $50,000 easily through the merit based raises gained. Six-figure incomes are a lay-up after your first promotion if the hard work that got you the promotion continues.

Promotions within the first 14 months are not unusual here.

If you want to work for a company where bureaucracy is null and void, then this is the company. It's all about hard work, growth and merit at Stride, which gives everyone a fair chance to create the kind of career and income they desire. You can't say the same at most other companies.

ConsAs I mentioned in the Pros section, this company does not provide the ideal opportunity for everybody. The "Pro's" for some people are "Con's" for others and I think thats where some of the negative reviews come from. You often hear, " an opportunity is what you make of it" and that is 100% true at Stride. Just go out and get it!

Advice to Senior ManagementNew Management installed in 2009 rocks!!! The new leadership team is in-tune with the newer generation of employees and technology. I started in 06' and there is a clear difference in the way this company values it employees and clients. Keep it up!

Amazing Experience

Practice Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWith the training I have gained by working for Stride and Associates, I have become a leading sales woman in the recruiting industry. I started as an entry level sales associate right out of college in 2007, and with the support and training from an outstanding group of managers was promoted to a lead in 2008 and then promoted again in 2010 to run a sales team of my own. If you put in the effort you will absolutely see the results at Stride. It has been a great journey, and I can't wait to keep growing with the company.

ConsSometimes potential clients/candidates misunderstand recruiters because of the poor tactics with other recruiting companies out there. Once managers speak with myself and other colleagues, they understand that Stride is different than other agencies in that we really do care about our working relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have seen a ton of success from the management's training at Stride, and I can't wait to do the same for my current entry level sales associates.

Worked for Stride & Associates? Contribute to the Community!