StrongView

3.1

Bill Wagner

Growing Rapidly

I have been working at StrongView full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is growing rapidly therefore there is much career opportunity. The company is flexible and focused on it's customers. Therefore the culture internal is to be flexible and find a better way of doing things. Everyone is always willing to jump in and help and willing to listen if you have a good idea.

Cons

Considering the speed the company is growing, there are some growing pains that is to be expected. The team is working hard and focused on their company objectives. Not much room for idle time right now.

Take a moment and ensure you truly understand and appreciate the pressure the teams are under.

Great technology, great people

Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY

I have been working at StrongView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company with a vision, great working environment, forward-thinking management, hard working teams, client service focus, consistently introducing new product features, good work/life balance

Cons

Working with teams in different time zones could be a challenge, however, teams are very professional and will make themselves available outside of their working hours

Powerful product, eager and smart employees, needs better defined processes

Current Employee - Senior Content Strategist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Content Strategist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at StrongView full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours are flexible, people are great to work with, everyone is very knowledgeable, if you can get in contact with them to ask questions. The company likes to have fun and treats employees well. The company is poised to grow fast and has a good future ahead.

Cons

Fast growth can lead to disorganization. Hard to know who does what job. Too many applications that are necessary to communicate and collaborate. Engineering processes are not solidly defined and are always changing. Half of the company works remotely, so time zones become an obstacle to getting work done efficiently.

Define, document, and train everyone on solid engineering processes (waterfall or agile, pick one). Specify a single set of applications for chat, collaboration on internal docs and specifications and for interaction with customers.

Strong up-and-coming player changing the way brands can interact with their customers

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at StrongView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong senior management staff with clear vision for future of the market and company. Product is the only one of its kind in terms of this vision and marketer needs, while the employees create an environment conducive to success and career growth. Team members work like a well oiled machine and can be counted on to exceed performance expectations. Being an old "start-up" gives employees the ability to take control of their career growth through adaptive execution and trust from top level management. Management is also highly accessible with an open door policy. While there is a hierarchy, often times the org structure feels flat.

Corporate culture is awesome! Strong bonds are formed between departments through events such as StrongMeals (monthly breakfasts hosted by a different department), StrongSocials (weekly Friday afternoon socials in the kitchen with the StrongDrinks fridge- you'll have to visit to experience), StrongHands (volunteer programs supported by VTO policies) and other employee building initiatives. The work life balance is great - get your work done and you have flexibility in your life and schedule.

Cons

Turn over in certain departments slows corporate momentum at times while new hires ramp. New hire training has greatly improved over the years, but still has room for growth. HR can also be unreasonable at times, favoring illogical policy over employee satisfaction and well being.

As a marketer, it can be challenging to effectively compete against the industries' 600 lbs. gorillas with a fraction of the resources. Often times the team is performing the work of a team 5x its size.

Doing a great job of setting the vision and aligning the org on the path to its realization. While initiatives are under way, could stand to foster greater collaboration between disparate departments and provide more opportunities for advancement on new career paths (but often times this is a result of employee motivation rather then opportunity access).

A great culture with an exciting new direction.

I have been working at StrongView full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I came to StrongView I was initially surprised with how many people had worked at the company over long periods of time. I've worked in dozens of Silicon Valley companies and was used to the majority of people staying only a few years before jumping to the next company yet this is not the case with StrongView. Other reviewers mention high turnover, and I have not experienced this myself. I have experienced a company in transition, growing to the next level which has left some of the people resistant to change in it's wake. StrongView has been adding many new employees from their chief competitors as it's recognized as the up and coming leader in the market. The company founder did leave, but due to a family relocation and he still drops by for beers when in the bay area. StrongView has a great culture and it using exciting approaches and technologies (much more so than it's competitors) so I'm super excited about where the company is going.

Cons

Growth and change brings growing pains. Employees who are not excited about the future of building the best solutions for marketers and would like to stay focused on selling infrastructure to IT are getting left behind. The company is growing quickly and people looking for a comfortable place to punch the clock will not be happy.

Invest in communication. In such a fast paced environment, sometimes people forget communications should be a top priority, especially for remote employees. With lots of progress and change underway it can be hard to keep everyone on the same page, so additional structure is needed to ensure that happens.

Decent product with no organization

I worked at StrongView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was able to work remote when needed. Gained a lot of experience in many different roles.

Cons

Pay was no where near competitive. Development teams frequently worked 50-60+ hour weeks with no adequate compensation. I was expected to support east coast, west coast, and Asia pacific clients, which often meant working from 7am-midnight, weekends and vacations. No training was not provided. My managers often worked remote and rarely worked with our teams in person. Managers set unrealistic expectations for project development and the development teams shouldered the blame when projects would get delayed and go over budget.

Think long term and support your teams, particularly the remote offices.

Disruptive and Disorganized

I have been working at StrongView full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros – Not many pros to say about the company. StrongView used to be cool, but then leadership changed which created a hostile environment

Cons

Cons – No real leadership, unrealistic timelines, product is a total mess, sales has no direction, engineering doesn't talk, HR is non-existent, IT is horrible, marketing is lazy.

PAY ATTENTION! Wake up everyone is leaving

Great culture, excellent opportunities for professional growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at StrongView full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked for a lot of different companies, and StrongView boasts one of the healthiest, most constructive work cultures that I've been a part of. For a small tech company, there's a really impressive level of employee retention (check out on Linkedin how many people have been here 2+, 5+, 7+ years) -- and they have a great work-life balance.

Frankly I'm a little surprised at some of the other reviews that talk about high turnover, low morale and a messy office environment -- that hasn't been my personal experience here at all. I'm in a cross-functional role and work with colleagues across many different teams; everyone I've worked with has been pleasant, positive, and drama-free. By and large at StrongView everyone seems to be rowing together in the same direction.

Plus, as long as you have initiative, there's good opportunities for professional growth and expanding your skill set. You just have to express interest and perform well. I've seen a lot of people move up the ranks quickly.

Cons

No job is ever perfect, and StrongView is no exception. There's room for improvement in terms of the communication between teams and avoiding departmental silos, but a lot of that is just growing pains -- learning how to make the transition from having just a few key people running things to larger teams that require more formal communication flows. But even since I've been here, this has been recognized as an area for improvement and good progress has been made.

Increase cross-departmental and company-wide communication. That would do a lot to help all employees understand how strategic initiatives will impact their areas of responsibility.

What a waste of my time. Terrible executive management and do not value customers. DO NOT WORK HERE

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StrongView full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing really. Pay is somewhat competitive

Cons

Leadership is manipulative and dishonest. They also strong-arm their clients in unfair negotiations and nickel and diming. They do not care for their hard workers and they don't recognize resources for their true talents.

Clean house. Entire new executive team. There's a reason they are being left behind in the industry...

One of the best places I've worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at StrongView full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance.
    Competitive pay and excellent benefits, including onsite gym with personal trainer, healthy snacks and occasional lunches.
    Upper management seeks feedback from staff and implements it.
    Opportunity to move up or transfer to other departments.
    The people are some of the best I've ever worked with, technically and personally. I have made friends I will keep.
    One can really make a difference here!

Cons

Strong but low maintenance personalities do well here.
    If you want to live under the radar and just want to "clock in and out", or aren't assertive enough to stand up for your ideas, you may feel overlooked and under-appreciated.

Recognize the hard work of all your team members.

StrongView Photos