Stroud International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stroud International Partner Nathaniel Greene

Nathaniel Greene

Stroud offers tremendous personal/career development and will do whatever they can to help you fulfill your career goals

Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat induction program when you join. The people are extremely smart and capable. Management will do whatever they can to help you. The job itself is quite unique, challenging and your work environment will constantly change. The role is all client-facing.

ConsExtensive travel can get weary. May not see fellow coworkers and colleagues often.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes teams of consultants working together on a project can be more successful then the individual parts working independently on different projects.

Hard, challenging and definitely worth it!

Principal (Current Employee) Marblehead, MA

ProsI have worked at Stroud for 11 years. I love the work that I do and the development I’ve experienced as a result of working here. I’ve worked in dozens of manufacturing environments across the US, have seen how hundreds of products are made and have had the opportunity to help make them run faster and more efficiently. My role at Stroud has developed over the years, and through it all I’ve had great moments and really hard moments. The career path at Stroud forces you to continually develop and grow. A few years in, I was faced with the decision of overcoming an aversion to conflict or continuing my career somewhere else. I received support and coaching, and I still struggled. Fortunately, I was able to work through it and am better in so many aspects of my life because of it. As a result of my experience, I help ensure our current employees receive the same support that I did. Truly, the most rewarding experiences I have had are being able to help those I work with develop. My net Stroud experience has resulted in most of my closest friends being current and past Stroud employees. It has been hard, it has been challenging and it has definitely been worth it.

ConsSignificant travel! Our work requires us to be on location with the client. Our typical travel schedule is out on the first flight on Monday and back on whatever flight allows us to work a full day on Thursday. I have a wife and two young boys at home which has made it more difficult to leave each week. The main reason it has worked for my family has been my wife’s strength and independence to manage everything while I’m gone (not to mention while I’m home :)). There are some offsetting perks with air miles, hotel and car rental points which have enabled us to take very nice vacations … though, ultimately the reason I’m still with Stroud is because of details I listed in the “pros.”

Ruled by propaganda

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-I learned more about management, how to run and lead meetings, effective organizational structures, etc. than I could have in virtually any other (non-consulting) role.
    -Living on the road meant I could expense almost everything every week. Free food, drinks, etc. definitely helps the bank account.
    -Airline miles!

Cons-The whole culture is ruled by propaganda. One example is the whole "Best Consulting Firm to Work For". This rating isn't true. Employees are incentivised to rate the company well, even if it's not what they truly feel. Stroud laid off over 50% of their employees in the past year because they didn't keep enough clients to keep them all employed. Yet, Stroud still won "Best Firm". Does that make any sense?
    -The work life balance isn't as good as they let on. Yes you have 5 weeks of vacation, but you need it because otherwise you'd be totally burnt out. A typical day on site is probably 10-12 hours, plus a few more hours once you get home, and the occasional 4am night wasn't uncommon

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on business development. You need some more clients, or else you're going to have to keep letting good employees go.

Stop lying about how good it is to work at Stroud. You're setting the wrong expectations. Stroud is definitely not a bad place to work, but it's appalling that you lie to get people to work for you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Marblehead, MA

ProsOpportunities to solve real world supply chain problems and have meaningful interactions with senior leaders unusually early in a career.
    Sincere and intense interest in personal development throughout the company. Managers, Partners, and peers will genuinely invest in all staff to help them reach their potential.
    Not the typical pre-MBA associate or post-MBA analyst role - much more doing than suggesting.
    Being part of a small, entrepreneurial company: if you demonstrate initiative and capability, and earn the trust of a leadership team member, you will have the chance to shape the company.

ConsStandard road warrior culture: work hard/drink hard/fly business class.
    There is only one career path - up or out. You are either on the Partner track, first drinking the koolade then mixing it, or you are on your way out.
    As evidenced by the photos on the leadership page, the company has struggled to maintain diversity of gender, race, and thought during its growth.
    It is a small company and very, very tightly knit - the company will take an interest in your personal life and "help" you make decisions, whether or not you ask. You can't spell culture without cult.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have mastered the university recruiting game, now your challenge is to offer experienced hires a similarly appealing professional journey. Attrition in the middle of the pyramid is extremely expensive. Lack of diversity is a risk to credibility and capability.
    Try a leadership style that doesn't depend on intimidation or control. You may find that a hint of vulnerability will inspire more people to follow you farther.

Strong culture of personal development and success.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsStrong emphasis on personal development,
    Very open and honest environment,
    Senior level consultants and partners very accessible,
    Good work / life balance (with respect to consulting industry average)

ConsAs an associate consultant, one does not get to chose which project he/she gets assigned to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great personal development and real responsibility

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsReal responsibility from day 1
    The work is very tangible and the impact on clients is visible
    Exceptionally bright group of people
    True meritocracy
    Good work life balance with not weekend work and reasonable hours

ConsNot unique to Stroud - lots of travel and being away from home
    Small firm culture is great but the lack of formalized processes can be challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the small firm culture even as the firm grows

Great Opportunities to Launch your Career

Project Lead (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsLike most people, I often think about what the best career path is for me. I found that there are three main things which I currently value most:
    1) Continuously learning and developing
    2) Making a big impact for those I work with
    3) A fun work environment - one where I enjoy spending time with my colleagues

Stroud has been a great place to have all three of these items - and that's why I've stayed here for the past three years. If these are qualities you value then I would highly recommend Stroud to you.

Below are some of the highlights of my experience here:
    -From day one (as a brand new graduate!) I've been given opportunities to develop as quickly as possible. My very first day on-site I owned my own improvement initiative - and this is typical of the Stroud experience. I've also had the opportunity to be paired with a partner as my "coach". It's always so clear to me that his number one goal is to help me be happy and develop as quickly as possible.
    -I never thought I'd be able to make such a big impact so quickly in my career. On the first project I referenced above I helped a team of clients decrease quality problems by more than 50%. Also, less than three years into my career, I'm managing two new associates. Helping/seeing them develop is incredibly rewarding... and I certainly can't imagine another company where I would have had that opportunity already.
    -I love my coworkers! It's typical that we plan monthly team building activities and spend time together outside of work because we enjoy each others company. My office even all trained for and ran the Calgary half marathon together this year!

ConsIt's difficult being one of the more senior women in a company when you yourself have been there for less than 3 years. I recognize this is an issue which many young firms face and is a part of the "growing pains" that come with the territory.

The "road warrior" lifestyle also can become tiring. One of the reasons I transferred from our Boston office to our Calgary office was to decrease the amount of job related travel. That's definitely a major improvement I've noticed between the offices.

Great place for those who fit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities and exposure early on in your career.
    If you are the right fit for the culture, you will progress quickly, develop amazing skills and make some great friends.

ConsIf you don't like travel, don't bother. Also, if you don't like at least a little uncertainty, same advice. The smaller the firm, the bigger the ups and the downs, be aware of that.

Unleashing Potential

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsA professional yet friendly and close-knit business that offers unparalleled opportunities to young, talented individuals who are up for a tough challenge. Lots of client exposure right from the start and many opportunities for personal development. The more senior professionals in the firm take people development very seriously and will often go the extra mile to help them grow as fast as possible. A great open feedback culture were everyone is incentivized to speak up and say what they think. The average level of responsibility is much greater than that experienced in other firms.

ConsTravel is an integral part of a consultant's life: flying 100-130 flights/year is the norm for many. Most of the time is spent on site with little or no room for personal life during the week. Consultants are often alone on site, this can be difficult at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus should go into thinking how the attrition rate may be kept under control in order to allow for the rates of growth which are being targeted.

Worked for Stroud International? Contribute to the Community!