Structural Integrity

Updated Jan 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Laney Bisbee

Really good place to work

San Jose, CA

I have been working at Structural Integrity full-time for less than a year

ProsStructure
Stability
Friendly coworkers
Meetings often and they do look to help you improve as a person/employee
The ERP they use is top notch
Nice building with a good location for commuting to and from cheaper living areas like Morgan Hill/Gilroy
Some 'old timers' long for the good ol' days, but as a newer employee I think the place is pretty rad
Benefits are cheaper with SI than my spouses union job and they survey employees to see what they'd like added

ConsEasy to step on toes if you are used to more of a laid by 'Silicon Valley' company
Work hours are pretty strict and accounted for

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at the moment

ok place to get experience

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Structural Integrity full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice coworkers, good atmosphere, people are easy to talk to. Very knowledgeable people in their field. Great place to get experience. Most of the people are easily approachable when you need advice or are stuck on a problem.
Benefit are good, not exceptional.

ConsPay is low compare to the area market.
The hours can be very erratic (e.g late night, week ends, night on week ends). You will put a lot of hours and the rewards are not always satisfying. Over time is paid but even with it you get less than standard market pays.
Career gross is very limited and slow unless you are singled out as "star". If you are not in that category (star) then it will be faster for you to look somewhere else if you want to get good promotion.
yearly bonus and salary increase are really low. This explained the reason why so many young, talented engineer are quitting in the past few years (turn over use to be low until 4-5 years). you put a lot of your time for little results.
Can be very political. There is a clash between engineering and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince the company does not have a product, management needs to understand that employees are the strength of the company due to the nature of the business (consulting). But as we have been made clear, no one is keeping us here, the door is open. It is disappointing to see people leaving. It is a big waste of time and money. You train the person and they leave after a few years, needing to start over with a new person. Try to keep the employee we have in house by rewarding them accordingly and making the environment pleasant again.

The best job I have had so far

I have been working at Structural Integrity full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- The senior engineers are tops in their field
- Everyone is friendly and supportive
- Work load and hours are reasonable
- The company is stable and successful

Cons- Quality of management is inconsistent. They are OK managing projects but are often clueless in understanding people's feelings and motivations.
- Benefits are average
- Bonuses and employee stock plans have been significantly cut in recent years. Salaries are OK. - Raises are given mostly to younger engineers; older engineers don't get much
- A lot of recent turnover among younger engineers - perception is that if you are not identified as a star, advancement is slow

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to feedback from your employees, especially those that choose to leave.

DIssapointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Structural Integrity full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are OK and the people here are good to work with for the most part. Good amount of freedom.

ConsManagement seems very clueless at times. Out of touch with the engineers. Salaries are very low. From the outside it seems like a good company to work for, but once you gain experience here, you realize the big issues. The culture is trying to be more like a larger company, but this is a small company, and the barriers that get put up in front of you get frustrating. In addition, promotions are very selective. Some say it is selection by ethnicity/race first, work performance second.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure what to say since they don't listen. They act like they try to listen but ignore you in the end unless you push them hard. In that case you become singled out as a trouble maker.

Okay.

I have been working at Structural Integrity

ProsLaid back sometimes. Good coworkers.

ConsCompensation and opportunity to advance.

I had a very positive experience for 19 years at SI, until they unexpectantly laid me off due to recession problems.

Systems Specialist II (Former Employee)
Huntersville, NC

I worked at Structural Integrity

ProsSI is very considerate of employees. Very good benifits.

ConsThey expect employees to move their family to another state and don't tell them that it was for only a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have another layoff. Loosing over 20 people in a layoff hurt the employees left, more than it helped the bottom line.

Charlotte, NC Office

Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Structural Integrity

ProsVery nice office, and pleasant work environment.

ConsHave been too concerned about growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop holding so many meetings and allow the employees to work.

Great work atmosphere and fostering environment

I have been working at Structural Integrity

ProsHeavy involvement in leading industry inspection technologies and inspection methods.

Consheavy amount of travel, base pay appears to be lower than industry standard. Very specialized market (can be a pro or con).

Disappointed

I have been working at Structural Integrity

ProsHealthcare and retirement benefits. Good for someone who worked in a corporation for many years and look for a change in career.

ConsVery demanding and all the beautiful things about employee care are nothing but farce. Just another hire-and-fire place. Selectively recognizing, growth is nearly impossible unless you praise people. Those who talk about quality get promoted, even if they are not technically competent.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing.

Worked for Structural Integrity? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Structural Integrity reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Structural Integrity CEO Laney Bisbee. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Structural Integrity employees.