Structure Group

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015
3.9

Mike Peterson

Great place to foster and grow your career.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Structure Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sr. management and partners with terrific vision and industry insight. All the who's who of the utility consulting industry work at Stucture. Training and career development taken very seriously. If you want to be working for the industry leader then Structure is the place to be. You are always part of building something great.

Cons

Weekly travel wears on you after a while, but the 4 day travel week helps compensate. The benefits are going to get much better after the employee transition to Accenture.

Great job leading this company to bigger and better things.

The people are the true asset of this company.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Structure Group full-time

Pros

I am a consultant for Structure, and the company definitely prides itself on taking care of its employees. When you first start out, they will choose a project for you. Once you have gotten your feet wet, you have more wiggle room to request a certain type of project (power, natural gas, etc.). You can live anywhere you want while working for Structure. They are a very virtual company, and as long as you're near an airport, you choose where you live. Great work life balance. They have two company wide meetings a year in a different cool city. Examples of these trips have been vegas, skiing, chicago etc.

Cons

The company is rather small so I feel I do not get the exposure to a lot of things that I could get exposure to at a bigger consulting firm. The small size also has its benefits however in regards to company culture. It truly feels like a family.

The Structure executives deserve serious recognition for their continuous interaction with employees at all levels in the company. The mentoring program is very hands on and personalized to you.

Fantastic Opportunities and Great Culture

Current Employee - Executive in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at Structure Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- empowerment
    - opportunity for personal and professional development
    - terrific culture - living our Core Values
    - work hard/Play hard
    - 2 company meetings per year, Cancun, San Juan PR, Orlando, Las Vegas, Whistler, Chicago, et al.

Cons

100% travel. You either learn to deal with it - or it crushes you.

Nothing - you guys do a great job - you care about your people and allow them to share in the success.

A nice, fast moving small company!

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Structure Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small company. Can usually find someone who knows the answer to something. Company meetings are in nice places and fun to attend!

Cons

Experience is very project dependent. Be ready for 100% travel, depending on your projects. Personal growth is always geared to "how does it help the project" rather than "how will it help future projects"

Get some more insight into employee projects, and how those will help or grow employees.

Good

I have been working at Structure Group

Pros

People are nice, competent and helping

Cons

Travel gets to you at the end

Great Company!

I have been working at Structure Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of different projects

Cons

Travel a lot, depend on your position

n/a

Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Structure Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Place to work, super great management, love their 'remote working' concept which allows for work/life balance, great learning and growth opportunities. I loved working with the Structure Group. The only reason I left was because I was on the bench, with no projects to work on, for a very long time and I felt insecure of continued employment.

Cons

Extremely few but it had nothing to do with the Organization nor its Management. The working team, sort of, ganged up against the Team Lead, who was just doing her/his job to meet project deadlines. On another project, the Super Boss was too busy to notice some of the 'hidden' but 'important' aspects of the project management delivery

Once in a while, checks on the actual working of the PM or the Person running the project. For example, on one project, identical status reports were going out every week, with not much changes and the Project Director, due to his over-hectic schedule, had no time to find out the true status of the project, until it was pointed out, blatantly. Now this was possible as the person who pointed out, was leaving the organization. If not, she would have been a victim in the hands of the Project Director/Project Manager, on future projects.

Solid consulting firm focused on the energy and utilities sector

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Structure Group full-time

Pros

Structrue seems to be an up-and-coming firm.
    Firm values candidates with experience in the energy and utilities sector (either with a utility, vendor, or another consulting firm).
    Small firm atmosphere where management provides reasonable levels of atonomy to staff working on projects throughout the country.
    Great place to work at earlier stages in your career after a few years of experience in the industry.

Cons

Firm appears to be a bit top heavy, and management lacks the clear vision necessary for the firm to grow much beyond its current size.
    Most projects are limited to the United States, with a few projects in Canada.
    While employees may experience reasonable timing with merit based promotions early in their career at Structure, rising to the Senior Manager or Director level typically takes too long.

Top Notch Consulting Company to Work While You Are Needed

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Structure Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company retreats: are like mini-vacations for you and your family. They have open bars, plenty of food, celebration dinners, training opportunities, and take care of the kids with toy handouts. I very much enjoyed the two company retreats (one in the fall is business, the other in spring is family orientated).

The Finance Team and Web Tools used for time accounting and expenses reimbursements are top in quality and efficiency. As an experienced consultant I was impressed with the company organization of its finance and expense reimbursement processes.

The company provided top quality laptop and software for business. Paid for personal/business monthly cell phone in full amount. Excellent back office staff team for IT, HR, and management.

Training: The company has a training coordinator and plenty of online resources to self-train as well as opportunity to "virtually attend" company sponsored webinars focused on consultants, technology, and vendors. Most of the training is "virtual" but they had opportunities for in-person training sessions during company meetings.

Weekly travel meant you were usually home 4 nights a week.

They were generous in their severance package in the layoff.

I could not have asked to have worked for a better consulting company.

Cons

Well the layoffs. I think management narrowly views some experienced and talented professional resumes based on vendor experience and if there aren't any specific "niche" opportunities in their pipeline of potential opportunities in the next few months, you are no longer needed.

I had expected my term with Structure to have been longer and to have been cross-trained in different vendors to be placed on more diverse projects; or even utilized across their organizational structure during the months where the project work was not immediate. My time "on the bench" was very unexpectedly short.

There is some truth (previous reviews) and caution for those considering leaving secure permanent positions to go into consulting and contracting. I was not one of those individuals leaving a secure perm job to work as a consultant, but I think the caution is true no matter which consulting company you join. Your value is based on the work available, which may not be there next year.

My only other issue was living in a hotel for close to a year. I think management could had arranged with the client for corporate rental housing. I literally had to pack/unpack every week for travel. I got used to this, and those traveling need to understand the Cons of "living in a hotel". But very long term assignments should come with longer term housing arrangements.

Re-utilize your skilled and talented workforce after project assignments. Cross-train them in different vendors, products, etc. Consider cross-organizational utilization and training of the consultants so they have opportunities to be billable for many years to come. Don't narrowly focus view of resumes based on "niches" of skills like specific vendors, etc. Be creative finding ways to re-utilize the consultants after projects.

Software Developer

Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at Structure Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to do lot of work for various technologies. Flexible environment.

Cons

Nothing much except that people need more clarity about the company

Good going