Structured Communications

Updated Jan 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ron Fowler

Lot's of chances to learn new things

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Structured Communications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWide range of training opportunities and technical projects. There is the potential to get trained and certified on many different technologies.

ConsSometimes the management views technical professionals as resources, not people. Communication from the top down could be better, but they do try.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees the status of the company and on sales deals they work on. Don't view engineers as certification machines - give them a chance to use what they learn instead of just collecting certifications.

Prepare to spend lots of time on the interview process.

I have been working at Structured Communications full-time

ProsLots of knowledge to offer and I see this ultimately helping me in my future carrier path.

ConsPay isn’t great and you don’t get Christmas eve off.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your delivery with what you are saying. They do a great job at being hands off and not micro managing.

Great Company, great owner and co-workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Structured Communications

ProsVery positive workplace. Pay is good, lots of opportunity

ConsSales people are allowed to break the processes

A family run business that has no direction

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Structured Communications

ProsThe level of projects to get involved in, the opportunities in continued education, and the ability to work on projects out of other offices

ConsThe company has no direction, the benefits are the worst that I have ever seen, the upper management tends to like certain Engineers who become the favorites at the time for projects. Volunteering for training and projects tends to not get noticed unless you are in the inner circle. Feedback from management is poor to non-existent. There is no goal setting for individuals, or opportunities that will allow for growth. The Portland office tends to believe that the best of the best exist in that office, however most of the staff are friends of the family or just entered the IT business. Also stop focusing on having so many vendors, focus on ten per practice - this works for many VAR's.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive Engineers goals, stop picking your favorites on projects - there are really good Engineers that are on staff that are talented in other offices.

A Good Place to Work, if you can take initiative

I have been working at Structured Communications

ProsLots of great projects to work on, nice people, family like environment, salary is reasonable, benefits package is fair, continuing education opportunities, talented staff, very hands off style of management, offices nationwide means travel and transfer opportunities

ConsSometimes too hands off style of management, very little training when you start, so pretty much sink or swim in the beginning, must take initiative to jump in on projects or ask for new projects or you might be twiddling your thumbs, little to no feedback on performance, senior management has a tendency to favor certain employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback and direction, look at all employees, not just a few

Worked for Structured Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Structured Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Structured Communications CEO Ron Fowler. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Structured Communications employees.