Stryker Reviews in Kalamazoo, MI

Updated August 14, 2014

3.9

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo
Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • Great work life balance, You will find great flexibility to work with no micromanagement (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, nice coworkers, hr is involved with company events etc (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stryker Instruments is the best place to work.

Current Employee - Test Lab Team Supervisor  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Test Lab Team Supervisor in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Winning attitudes and the satisfied employees who are happy to go to work everyday.

Cons

A lot if type A personalities to deal with.

They are doing an outstanding job. HR can slow things to a crawl so if you can work out that detail Top 100 will easily move to Top 10!!!

Interesting

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, day to day flexibility, friendly co-workes, and good benefits.

Cons

Salary is below industry standards, managers driven by Q-12, very political environment, and very political.

Employees do not feel comfortable with Q-12. Also, take a strong look at experienced engineers salaries, as they are even low for W Michigan.

Stryker is an exceptional growth company that provides strong opportunities for its employees and great products.

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Stryker are all energized to work for the company. Although the workload is substantial, it is much more fun to work in this collaborative environment than at some of my previous companies. It is also refreshing that you are able to count on your peers to complete tasks and drive work on time.

Cons

The interviewing process is a bit over the top. In total, it took several weeks and 6 interviews (not number of people I interviewed with, I am talking total sessions!) for me to get my formal offer. Compensation packages are average, but the stability of the company is a huge plus!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Competitive, driven, results oriented company that strives for excellence in everything they do

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love this company; great leader in Kevin Lobo; going to new heights under his leadership; strong product portfolio. Company has always pushed me to exceed my comfort zone and allows for autonomy in my job. Strong management that allows for indiividuality and self driven personalities. Good earning potential.

Cons

Sometimes we think too straight and narrow and don't allow for all possibilities to be considered.

Great leader in Kevin Lobo; strong benefits, ability to be promoted is strong; internal mobility program is great

Stryker Response

Apr 23, 2014Director, TA

Kevin Lobo is a great leader that has Stryker on the right track. Our Internal Mobility program allows employees to target specific areas in the company they feel are future areas for growth and ... More

Love where I work!

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance
    Autonomy
    driven culture
    professional opportunities
    found great friends
    amenities
    casual friday

Cons

if you are interested in moving into another field, sometimes it is difficult to gain the skills in your current role to get you ready, this is only on the occasion.

Continue to stay aggressive and take risks. I love the areas we are addressing and driving to make our organization better. The key is allowing those of us that are extremely passionate the ability to get involved and grow into the role versus wanting us to already have ALL the necessary skills prior. Talent is exceptional here and sometimes we need people to go to bat for us and our abilities as people. I believe we are moving the needle in this area.

10 years and counting...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stryker has continually provided opportunities to learn new disciplines and functions with increasing responsibility. I never imagined I would work at one company for more than 10 years, but I have and I am still challenged, growing and engaged.

Cons

Working at a dynamic, growing company is not easy. A Stryker employee cannot become complacent, but needs to continue to grow, change and adapt. Sometimes, it is hard work to keep pace or stay ahead of change.

With so many employees scattered throughout the world, seek ways to make us feel connected - one Stryker. It would be great to see executive leadership in Kalamazoo more frequently. You have a lot to offer.

Stryker Response

Apr 23, 2014Director, TA

Another employee with 10+ years with Stryker. We have low turn-over because of our competitive advantage, culture, pay, benefits and overall company culture.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Deskside Support Technician  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Deskside Support Technician in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stryker offers you the opportunity to take your career in any direction; If you have interest - and are capable of performing in the role - the job can be yours.

Lots of benefits!

Company really seems to care for its employees. When conditions are bad, Stryker has shut down the building to keep people from making the commute. On days they are open - and the weather is poor - they excuse absences for those who truly cannot make the trip to work. I believe this is pretty unique and it shows they really care about their employees well being.

Cons

Lots of management - Sometimes it seems excessive. That being said, that is a "bottom-up" view and its possible that I just don't understand the full strategy.

Pay is, generally, lower than industry average. Other benefits offset pay in most cases.

Stryker has too many managers in general. Additionally, I've had more "bad" managers than "good." I feel that training for management is poor - we have many people who would make great leaders if they received appropriate coaching/training for their roles. It is important to invest in your employees.

Great company with excellent benefits.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Stryker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits were excellent, good leadership.

Cons

Pay was a little low.

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Focus on talent, diverse opportunities for employees

Cons

More tactical less strategic, high focus on short term success

Fuel long term visions

Fabulous Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Endless opportunities to try new areas. Fantastic work relationships. Stryker supports a very driven culture and provides many learning experiences which normally are not available to others.

Cons

Stryker is very metrics driven, and tends to not manage competing goals for multiple departments. This can sometimes lean towards struggles on cross functional team. Pretty weak at resource management, they are not afraid to over allocate and expect you to work long hours for long periods of time. This is particularly prevalent in RA/QA.

It is fantastic to give experience to new college graduates, but please mix this with hiring experienced people as well. Also quit moving managers so frequently. It is very common to average a new manager every year, and sometimes more.

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!