Stryker Reviews in Kalamazoo, MI

Updated September 6, 2014
3.9

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo
Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • Great work life balance, You will find great flexibility to work with no micromanagement (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, nice coworkers, hr is involved with company events etc (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great home for "A Players" to develop their careers

Current Employee - Manager  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Work hard - play hard culture.
    - Pay for performance.
    - Lots of opportunities for professionals to stretch themselves and grow.
    - Plenty of autonomy and responsibility early in your career . . . if you prove yourself.
    - The chance to work on products that have a significant positive impact on society.
    - Awesome people!

Cons

- This is an environment for A players who want to better their game. Anyone who doesn't have that intensity gets run over (this is only a con for sub-A players).
    - Stryker's talent management tools for hiring and development, while extremely effective, are intimidating to the uninitiated.
    - Interviewing and hiring process can be daunting and long.
    - Compensation is only industry average, even for high performers.

Our people are everything!!! A players want to work with other A players! Stick to your guns on aggressive talent selecting and management, but streamline the hiring process. Hire great candidates strategically so we don't lose them, and then find the right home for them.

Good company

Current Employee - Packaging Engineer  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Packaging Engineer in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, work environment and opportunities for growth

Cons

none at this time since I have been with the company less than 2years

Continue promoting stryker culture

I love working at Stryker!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great inclusive and innovative culture.
    They care about the empolyees, listen to feedback, and implement change.
    Ability to work from home.
    24/7 Gym

Cons

Division silos can inhibit technology growth (i.e., "We can't implement this improvement because the Medical division uses a different Change Control system")

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Human Resourcs  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resourcs in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for less than a year

Pros

work/life balance
    challenged
    supported
    opportunity for growth
    great peopl

Cons

There are now cons about working at Stryker.

Stryker Instruments is the best place to work.

Current Employee - Test Lab Team Supervisor  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Test Lab Team Supervisor in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Winning attitudes and the satisfied employees who are happy to go to work everyday.

Cons

A lot if type A personalities to deal with.

They are doing an outstanding job. HR can slow things to a crawl so if you can work out that detail Top 100 will easily move to Top 10!!!

Interesting

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, day to day flexibility, friendly co-workes, and good benefits.

Cons

Salary is below industry standards, managers driven by Q-12, very political environment, and very political.

Employees do not feel comfortable with Q-12. Also, take a strong look at experienced engineers salaries, as they are even low for W Michigan.

Stryker is an exceptional growth company that provides strong opportunities for its employees and great products.

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Stryker are all energized to work for the company. Although the workload is substantial, it is much more fun to work in this collaborative environment than at some of my previous companies. It is also refreshing that you are able to count on your peers to complete tasks and drive work on time.

Cons

The interviewing process is a bit over the top. In total, it took several weeks and 6 interviews (not number of people I interviewed with, I am talking total sessions!) for me to get my formal offer. Compensation packages are average, but the stability of the company is a huge plus!

Competitive, driven, results oriented company that strives for excellence in everything they do

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love this company; great leader in Kevin Lobo; going to new heights under his leadership; strong product portfolio. Company has always pushed me to exceed my comfort zone and allows for autonomy in my job. Strong management that allows for indiividuality and self driven personalities. Good earning potential.

Cons

Sometimes we think too straight and narrow and don't allow for all possibilities to be considered.

Great leader in Kevin Lobo; strong benefits, ability to be promoted is strong; internal mobility program is great

Stryker Response

Apr 23, 2014Director, TA

Kevin Lobo is a great leader that has Stryker on the right track. Our Internal Mobility program allows employees to target specific areas in the company they feel are future areas for growth and ... More

Love where I work!

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance
    Autonomy
    driven culture
    professional opportunities
    found great friends
    amenities
    casual friday

Cons

if you are interested in moving into another field, sometimes it is difficult to gain the skills in your current role to get you ready, this is only on the occasion.

Continue to stay aggressive and take risks. I love the areas we are addressing and driving to make our organization better. The key is allowing those of us that are extremely passionate the ability to get involved and grow into the role versus wanting us to already have ALL the necessary skills prior. Talent is exceptional here and sometimes we need people to go to bat for us and our abilities as people. I believe we are moving the needle in this area.

10 years and counting...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stryker has continually provided opportunities to learn new disciplines and functions with increasing responsibility. I never imagined I would work at one company for more than 10 years, but I have and I am still challenged, growing and engaged.

Cons

Working at a dynamic, growing company is not easy. A Stryker employee cannot become complacent, but needs to continue to grow, change and adapt. Sometimes, it is hard work to keep pace or stay ahead of change.

With so many employees scattered throughout the world, seek ways to make us feel connected - one Stryker. It would be great to see executive leadership in Kalamazoo more frequently. You have a lot to offer.

Stryker Response

Apr 23, 2014Director, TA

Another employee with 10+ years with Stryker. We have low turn-over because of our competitive advantage, culture, pay, benefits and overall company culture.

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!