Stryker Reviews in Mahwah, NJ

Updated July 22, 2014

3.9

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo
Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • Great work life balance, You will find great flexibility to work with no micromanagement (in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, nice coworkers, hr is involved with company events etc (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance (in 33 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Driven People - Your opinion Counts

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sharp People- A type personalaties
    Positivity
    Challanging environment
    Gallup screening
    Summer flex hours
    Emphasis on good health
    Options to branch out your career
    Mahwah NJ Cafeteria

Cons

Peer pressure
    Metrics - too many of them
    Isolation from skip level management
    Really difficult to outshine
    High expectetion from management to go over and beyond your day job.

Great place to work if you can handle the constant stress

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Stryker full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very rewarding work, majority of employees have a tremendous work ethic and always give 100% of their effort. Were able to perform your job with minimum supervision. Salary was excellent once you were established there, benefits package was top notch.

Cons

You could always feel the tension in the atmosphere there. Most employees were always on edge worrying about the steady stream of mini-layoffs. A fair majority of the supervision always had an unrealistic sense of project timelines and never seemed to be content with the project's progress.

Great company with growth opportunities

Current Employee - Supply Chain  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many opportunities for those who are ambitious.

Cons

Systems need to be upgraded

Invest in systems upgrades

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hype

Former Employee - Various Engineering  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Various Engineering in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Stryker full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good executive team that usually makes the right business decisions and tries implementing good policies. There is always that general sense of security and belief that the ship is heading in the right direction, so people don't question much and focus on getting their jobs done. It is a large growing global corporation so with that you will get good benefits, profit sharing, growth potential, development/training, and the opportunity to travel/relocate domestically and internationally. The turnover rate is extreme so opportunities always open up and the company encourages internal mobility. The hiring process is known to be very long and complicated and it has created a lot of hype. So just having the name on your resume gives you an advantage for the rest of your career. Making it a very good entry level company.

Cons

Poor middle management. Mostly due to the company's hiring process which mainly focuses on blindly hiring type A personalities with little regard to experience or core personal values. The only path to career growth is through people management. So what you get is a bunch of hyper people running around in a scavenger hunt of random/any accomplishments leading to the next promotion to a team leader/manager. You read any company notice of someone's promotion and you are guaranteed to see a list of "accomplishments" that had nothing to do with what this individual was supposed to to be doing! That encourages future "leaders" to try and find someone else to do their job so they can spend their time on real "accomplishments". What this creates is a high stress environment, back-stabbing, elbowing, credit-stealing, blame-throwing, and lots lots of lying. You cannot trust anyone at Stryker and their annual satisfaction survey unsurprisingly consistently shows low scores on "I have a best friend at work"!. There is an intentional huge information dam between upper management and anything downstream. So middle management has zero knowledge of objectives or business direction. Coupled with their lack of experience and poor understanding of what leadership is, they make a mess of whatever good values and policies the executive team puts in place. They mistake workaholics for achievers. They mistake lack of work-life balance for commitment. If you resist going with the herd and blindly rushing everything without thinking then you are not a Stryker "fit". If you focus on your job and resist distractions then you are not an overachiever. If you don't show up at a 7PM happy hour you are not a team player. And If you happen to be an introvert then be ready for some serious bullying. You will be labelled as disengaged, lacking drive/initiative, follower, and the list goes on. Cliches like "there for you" and "quality first" are always used without any real practical understanding. To summarize, unless you are going for an entry level position, upper management position, or really desperate for a job, do yourself a big favor and avoid this company. You will be abused and tossed around until you either get consumed or learn how to play a losing game. That very culture they prize is the worst I have seen in my professional career and is in fact all hype.

Invest into making sure your middle management is appropriately developed and mature. Admit that your candidate assessment system is broken and act to create a more tolerant and inclusive culture. Learn from your consistently high turnover rates and understand that growth is not just about profit and competition, it is about social responsibility and spreading the right values. The future of Stryker and this country depends on the quiet technically-gifted innovators as much is it depends on the outspoken competitive overachievers. So make sure you give everyone an equal and fair opportunity.

Its ok but not for me

Current Employee - Generalist  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Generalist in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Stryker part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friends at work. Overtime.

Cons

I am under agency - Adecco USA

Nada

Great place to start your career, but uncertain after that

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Stryker full-time

Pros

Most employees are highly motivated since interview process uses Gallup profiling to assess ambition. Company makes amazing products. Pay is good for entry-level employees, and benefits are excellent (e.g., 3 weeks vacation in your first year, on-site fitness center). There is opportunity for rapid promotion if you are good at your job. Company has a very youthful culture and there are no divisions between employees and managers - often people sit in same cubicle area and eat lunch with their manager.

Cons

Some people may not like Stryker culture. I like it but most professional employees are under age 35, and look like they came out of a J. Crew or Manolo Blahnik commercial. Also, Stryker is a classic Peter Principle organization. If you want your career to advance, you have to become a manager rather than a specialized employee. Not surprisingly, many managers are nice to their employees but lack people skills. To make it worse, managers may have 15 or more direct reports, and may have employees at multiple locations.

Allow talented individuals to advance in their skill set (e.g., scientist, engineer) rather than having to become a manager.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Stryker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, first line manager and supervisors are approachable and generally care about their teams. Encouragement around personal and professional development. It is encouraged for employees to be close and friendly with those on their teams. Benefits are great. Competitive culture really drives people to do better and exceed expectations, but there is still a balance of a true team envornment. I find that mix between the competition and the team oriented nature of Stryker's culture to be truly unique. I think that's what really drives our people.

Cons

Favoritism in some teams holds people who are top performers back from opportunities, there is a lot of talk around development but not a lot of action. We should also become more connected across divisions rather than operating in silos

We seem to fall short frequently in the compensation piece. Our benefits are great, but I think being a bit more aware of compensation and being more flexible will bring us to the next level. Some managers and directors need more trianing on HOW to manage and develop their teams, this may help in the favoritism area.

No one actually knows why they're doing what they're doing.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Stryker as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, some nice people

Cons

I didn't have an awful time at Stryker, but you have to keep in mind that it is truly mindless work. Employees say they like working at Stryker because they feel like they're "helping people", yet in most positions you're just helping corporate stay out of trouble and make more money. Stryker has some vague mission statement about caring for the customer, but it's really hard to uphold this creed when your job is completely unrelated to any actual medical products. The problem with a large corporation like this is that everyone literally prides themselves on being corporate drones. "I passed the Gallup, I'm a good person" is pretty much the mentality, and everyone brags about their "top 5" characteristics. I really didn't meet anyone who was intelligent enough to not care about such BS. Every conversation I had felt fake, and people walked on eggshells around a problem instead of facing it head on. It's like a creepy movie where everyone fakes a smile and is afraid to say anything negative to another's face. Gossip is encouraged, however-- and as an intern, I always felt uncomfortable on which lines to cross. It was like a much more boring, corporate high school with even more unwritten rules. Not the worst place in the world, but the culture there was just not for me.

Encourage employees to have real conversations with each other. Productivity is definitely lacking among people who are afraid to be honest. It's a stressful environment when employees don't like each other.

O.K. company but would not work there again.

Former Employee - Finance Manager  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Stryker full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has great benefits and lots of opportunity to promote if you are male and willing to relocate to Kalamazoo, MI.

Cons

Company is a very male dominated culture where the good ol' boys club exist and promotes heavily from within that club. Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance. They tell you that working from home is allowed but it is heavily frowned upon.

Do more to promote individuals that are qualified and have potential rather than individuals that play the politics game.

Good company, helpful coworkers, good atmosphere

Former Employee - Specialty Instruments  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Specialty Instruments in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Stryker as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It's a large company and allows you to really see all aspects that go into each product. If you have an interest in learning more about something, there's always someone that's willing to take time out to show you.

Cons

The HR department is terrible. They are always late and/or don't do things in a timely manner. I'm fairly certain there's a high turnover rate too.

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!