Stryker

Stryker Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo

Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • Great work life balance, You will find great flexibility to work with no micromanagement(in 32 reviews)

• Great benefits, nice coworkers, hr is involved with company events etc(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance(in 33 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account(in 20 reviews)

Driven People - Your opinion Counts

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee) Mahwah, NJ

ProsSharp People- A type personalaties
    Positivity
    Challanging environment
    Gallup screening
    Summer flex hours
    Emphasis on good health
    Options to branch out your career
    Mahwah NJ Cafeteria

ConsPeer pressure
    Metrics - too many of them
    Isolation from skip level management
    Really difficult to outshine
    High expectetion from management to go over and beyond your day job.

Best job ever

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe money is the best

ConsDevice failures is the worst

Advice to Senior ManagementListen up

Career Company -World Class

ProsGreat pay and company culture; eat what you kill; best in class products; great benefits and training; they do a great job refreshing products every few years; Great position for a sales rep-they leave you alone as long as you hit your number

Consterritory can make or break you; it is hard to find an opening in a territory worth taking over; advancement is difficult as a result

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with growth opportunities

Supply Chain (Current Employee) Mahwah, NJ

ProsThere are many opportunities for those who are ambitious.

ConsSystems need to be upgraded

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in systems upgrades

Great Enviroment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture of the company has been the best out of any of my previous experiences. Everyone is willing to help an intern. There are many fun events and activities that the company provides for their employees; free Six Flag event, basketball tournaments, etc.

ConsThe intern to full time employee is not as high as I would want it to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep more talented interns.

Satisfying

QA Manager (Current Employee) San Juan, PR

ProsFamily Culture Driven, Flexiblity, Challenges

ConsBenefits
    Lack of structure within roles and responsibilites

Advice to Senior ManagementTake those that are your key players and protect them, recognize consistency and what you want to be repeated

Great company to work for!

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCulture, training, independence, flexibility, work- life balance

ConsHigh employee mobility (internally) even in key roles

Meaningful Internship: Engaging and Impactful Projects, Fun Environment, Great People

Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) Flower Mound, TX

ProsThe people are amazing and always willing and available to help or answer questions. Small-company feel with large organization perks (corporate housing, on-site gym, free coffee and sodas, happy hours at work). Amazing work/life balance. Engaging, exciting and competitive environment that provides incredible opportunities for growth and learning.

ConsWorking on mulitiple projects at once in such a fast-paced environment can be challenging.

Great opportunity to grow personally and professionally.

Materials Intern (Current Employee) Flower Mound, TX

ProsGreat place to intern! Handed many projects from day one to cahmpion and lead but with individuals wanting to help. Good balance of high expectations with room to fail.

ConsExpected to get up to speed asap. Medical industry has a lot of nuiances that can be challenging to understand. Everyone is very high performing, must be able to go at a very high speed from the get go.

Hype

Various Engineering (Former Employee) Mahwah, NJ

ProsVery good executive team that usually makes the right business decisions and tries implementing good policies. There is always that general sense of security and belief that the ship is heading in the right direction, so people don't question much and focus on getting their jobs done. It is a large growing global corporation so with that you will get good benefits, profit sharing, growth potential, development/training, and the opportunity to travel/relocate domestically and internationally. The turnover rate is extreme so opportunities always open up and the company encourages internal mobility. The hiring process is known to be very long and complicated and it has created a lot of hype. So just having the name on your resume gives you an advantage for the rest of your career. Making it a very good entry level company.

ConsPoor middle management. Mostly due to the company's hiring process which mainly focuses on blindly hiring type A personalities with little regard to experience or core personal values. The only path to career growth is through people management. So what you get is a bunch of hyper people running around in a scavenger hunt of random/any accomplishments leading to the next promotion to a team leader/manager. You read any company notice of someone's promotion and you are guaranteed to see a list of "accomplishments" that had nothing to do with what this individual was supposed to to be doing! That encourages future "leaders" to try and find someone else to do their job so they can spend their time on real "accomplishments". What this creates is a high stress environment, back-stabbing, elbowing, credit-stealing, blame-throwing, and lots lots of lying. You cannot trust anyone at Stryker and their annual satisfaction survey unsurprisingly consistently shows low scores on "I have a best friend at work"!. There is an intentional huge information dam between upper management and anything downstream. So middle management has zero knowledge of objectives or business direction. Coupled with their lack of experience and poor understanding of what leadership is, they make a mess of whatever good values and policies the executive team puts in place. They mistake workaholics for achievers. They mistake lack of work-life balance for commitment. If you resist going with the herd and blindly rushing everything without thinking then you are not a Stryker "fit". If you focus on your job and resist distractions then you are not an overachiever. If you don't show up at a 7PM happy hour you are not a team player. And If you happen to be an introvert then be ready for some serious bullying. You will be labelled as disengaged, lacking drive/initiative, follower, and the list goes on. Cliches like "there for you" and "quality first" are always used without any real practical understanding. To summarize, unless you are going for an entry level position, upper management position, or really desperate for a job, do yourself a big favor and avoid this company. You will be abused and tossed around until you either get consumed or learn how to play a losing game. That very culture they prize is the worst I have seen in my professional career and is in fact all hype.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest into making sure your middle management is appropriately developed and mature. Admit that your candidate assessment system is broken and act to create a more tolerant and inclusive culture. Learn from your consistently high turnover rates and understand that growth is not just about profit and competition, it is about social responsibility and spreading the right values. The future of Stryker and this country depends on the quiet technically-gifted innovators as much is it depends on the outspoken competitive overachievers. So make sure you give everyone an equal and fair opportunity.

Worked for Stryker? Contribute to the Community!