StubHub

StubHub Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

StubHub President Chris Tsakalakis

Chris Tsakalakis

Pros:
  • "It has great benefits as backed by ebay inc and employees get free tickets for events"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Having a good Work/Life balance is encouraged daily from the top down"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life Balance is just lip service"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Senior Management is awful, misguided and delusional"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Data Engineer

Data Engineer/Data Warehouse Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to learn and be part of a growing company. Passion to serve fans.

ConsNot very innovative. But getting there

The WORST company I've worked for. Avoid like the plague.

ProsThe entry and associate level of the workforce is extremely passionate about music, sports, and theater. This helps keep the culture and working there somewhat bearable.

Free bagels on Fridays!

ConsWhere do I begin?
    How about with the terribly inept managers. I have never worked at such a poorly managed company in my life. A lot of the current leaders are people who have been at StubHub for a long time. As the company grew, there really wasn't much of a choice but to make them managers. The problem is they never received adequate training on how to effectively manage people. On top of that, most of them lack the strategic vision to plan for the future, establish goals, and motivate and drive employees towards those goals. So half the time, employees receive very little guidance on what to work towards and what defines success. Managers are instead focused on micromanaging every single aspect of your workday. Employee empowerment is practically non-existent here.

Half of the management is also eBay rejects. Couldn't cut it in the big leagues so they sent them back to the trenches. After working with them for a while, it became obvious why they couldn't make it there. My boss sat right across from me came from eBay and I swear their workday consisted of three things: watching soccer, reading ESPN articles, and browsing twitter. When I came to him with legitimate questions, he seemed more annoyed than anything and gave me extremely vague answers. No leadership skills whatsoever.

Management is very much a boys club. Politics run rampant here. If you want to play the political game to get ahead, then by all means come work here. But know this: promotions are based on favoritism, not hard work and accomplishments. Don't be surprised if you work your butt off only to receive a tepid performance review. At the same time, your manager will probably take credit for your work and receive a promotion. This has happened to multiple people within the company. At the end of the day, complacent managers are trying their best to hold onto the little bit of power they have left. They know the lower level employees are hungry, ambitious, and full of good ideas. They are afraid these employees will take their positions, so they will do whatever they can to make sure you are not promoted.

Hiring works in the same way. When I was brought on board, they painted this picture of StubHub being a great place to grow your career and that employees have the ability to move around within the company. Wow, was that the biggest lie ever. Any time there was a new job available, the positions were filled by external candidates who conveniently happened to know/be friends with/or previously work with the hiring manager. Essentially, they just want a bunch of like-minded yes men who will do what they are told. Most of the time, internal employees weren't even given the opportunity to seriously interview for positions. There were multiple occasions where new hires were brought on without an internal application.

The LT doesn't value feedback at StubHub. Year after year, the company receives poor ratings in compensation, employee empowerment, and work-life balance. Have they done anything to address these issues? No. The leadership team also lies to employees. Numerous things are promised in terms of promotions, perks, and benefits, but those things never come.

Things take forever to accomplish here! Way too much bureaucracy/red tape to go through. There are meetings to talk about meetings. Half of the time, meetings just devolve into the managers bickering with one another while everyone else sits in the room twiddling their thumbs. Way too much time is wasted here.

All of this culminates in a poor product and a bad customer experience. Product launches get delayed continuously. Some projects are over a year behind. Leadership does nothing to correct this and it results in finger pointing between departments. A very volatile and hostile environment to work in.

At the end of the day, I would give StubHub zero stars if I could. LT is more concerned about hitting short term goals laid out by eBay than investing in creating a good product and benefiting in the long term. Terrible leadership.

A lot of people have been leaving lately for other opportunities. Take this as a sign that things are bad here.

Advice to Senior Management- You can't really fire yourselves, but you should
    - Fire your low level managers
    - Recognize and reward your true talent and hard workers
    - Focus on long term growth instead of short term financial goals
    - Empower employees with good ideas
    - LISTEN TO EMPLOYEES
    - Stop sitting in your ivory tower
    - Stop asking employees to leave good reviews on Glassdoor. If you were a good company to work for, you would get good reviews. Take the bad reviews seriously. You know nothing that's posted is a lie.
    - Way too much middle management. Thin it out and we might actually get things done.
    - INNOVATE

Exciting Technologies To Work With

Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFast paced work place with lot of technical folks who are continuously innovating.

ConsToo many people creates a lot of process overheads.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider growth options by investing in becoming primary source of the ticketing industry.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad company to work for

Biz Side Senior Individual Contributor (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsMistake in life I did was to work for this bad minded company. Bad company..No respect for work. Very bad treatment to employees. The higher ups close their eyes and enjoy the show.

ConsIf we are not doing good. They replace us by bringing another resource. They replace employees after 5 years.. They are asked to move to another place or move to another company. I was kicked off by dumpty. No work culture.. Just show off..

how much feedback is needed for change?

Prossteady business
    fun entertainment industry
    people are nice and helpful

Consmany provide feedback about what is not working and can be improved and yet nothing changes.
    success can be your worse enemy

Advice to Senior Managementlisten and act

Great company with vision

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI've been with SH for the past year and have really enjoyed my time thus far. The CEO (Chris T.) and fellow Cheifs have a clear vision of where this company is going and I'm excited to be a part of the ride. One last bit: In my experience so far, personal development is taken seriously as I've yet to be turned down for training.

ConsIt's too early to point out the Cons of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love the new "goal model."

Fun, exciting place

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros* Interesting work being done around e-commerce and social commerce
    * Fun people, relaxed work environment
    * Remains fairly independent of eBay overhead, which is nice
    * Great location in SF
    * Worldwide presence with exciting opportunities to grow
    * Strong brand

Cons* Company has a great vision but needs help in executing

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more risks, push overseas growth

Engineering Cleanup

Engineering (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company under the eBay umbrella
    Vision and potential are huge
    Can become one of the greatest Entertainment hubs in the world
    Some of the domains in engineering are doing great engineering and new concepts

ConsEngineering leadership horrible (M) and his right hand (G).
    Always fear pressure for engineering, and never talks about anything good
    Bad pulse feedback, same folks in charge

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology focus is in all directions. Engineering leadership needs change. Everyone is scared to talk and when they do nothing happens. Everyone is negative and needs a new culture

StubHub a place to work ?

San Francisco, CA

ProsAn eBay company with great potential.
    Number one ticket hub.
    Market comparable compensation
    Few great engineers pockets (Recommendation, Content, Data).

ConsTech leadership and accountability.
    Too much waste. Not a place to build a career (but can be with some changes).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring. Replace low contributors or bad skill sets.
    Don't be scared of change. Tech leadership needs to change. Less talk, more action with results. Take the feedback (broken processes, pulse feedback, project issues) and fix it.

Re-org but same leadership sends a bad message.

Better experience than most companies

San Francisco, CA

ProsVery data driven culture; people truly focus on what's good for the company vs. what's good for an individual; fun to solve problems for the entertainment and sports industry.

Cons1) Technical infrastructure is old and relatively slow moving, though that is changing; 2) The mobile fluency of the company is really low, especially on the marketing side. A few key hires on the product side are starting to change the overall tide of the company towards mobile, but the company as a whole is generally below average in embracing mobile. They should have been focusing on mobile years ago, and now they are trying to play catch up. They have opened the door for competitors to enter the mobile ticketing space by not paying attention to mobile sooner.

Advice to Senior Management1) Focus mobile, in particular apps. The desktop days are over and apps are the way of the future, especially for ticketing. 2) Setting goals based on historical growth rates without a clear business plan for execution is setting up the team for failure.

Worked for StubHub? Contribute to the Community!

StubHub Videos

StubHub – Why Work for Us?

From a small start-up in 2000 to the world’s largest ticket marketplace, StubHub connects people to the sports and entertainment events that they love. At StubHub, our mission is simple: provide fans a safe, convenient… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at StubHub reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for StubHub CEO Chris Tsakalakis. All 143 reviews posted anonymously by StubHub employees.