StubHub

Updated February 9, 2015
3.1

StubHub President Chris Tsakalakis
Chris Tsakalakis

Pros
  • Flexible work environment with a great work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• It has great benefits as backed by ebay inc and employees get free tickets for events (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Imbalance of work-life balance: people in technical roles have very little, people in non-technical roles work 9-5 (in 13 reviews)

• Leadership team isn't prepared to really lead and take hardworking employees for granted (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Most challenging and fun opportunity of my career!

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Imagine working for a startup that didn't require you to give up your weekends and holidays. Imagine working for a start up whose best ideas have been funded for years to come. Imagine working with some of the best talent in the Bay Area. That's how I feel working for StubHub! This company has established itself as the market leader and is now exploring new uncharted territory. A lot of people find being at a company when it is pivoting too tumultuous. I find it to be a great opportunity to reinvent myself alongside the company. Lots of creative energy here!

Cons

-If you interpret much needed change as churn or interpret having a leadership team that barely knows your name or what you do as "empowerment," then this is not the place for you. Because people here care and that includes leadership. So if you are looking for a job that allows you to work from home with minimal accountability this is not a good fit for you. If you are looking for a challenge and an opportunity to work at a startup but can't justify the hours or risks, then this is your best bet!
    -The organic fruit delivery every morning is always late!!

-Keep up the good work in 2015! You guys are showing us that you heard us loud and clear in 2014. Thank you for listening. This is the year we take it to whole new level!!
    -Please do something about the fruit delivery! ;)

You get back what you put in.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Granby, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Granby, CT

I have been working at StubHub full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Definitely the best job I have had. I had to work hard to get out of temp level, but by excelling on a day to day basis and always volunteering for projects, I was able to propel myself forward in the company. The benefits are excellent and work life balance is perfect. It's a fun and laid back environment with a lot of quality coworkers.

Cons

Starting on the CS floor is rough. Training has declined and reps are now being thrown in without the proper amount of training, this results in poor experiences for both employees and customers.

Better focus on employee development. Also mid level management needs to show less favoritism and focus more on driving their employees forward.

A great company to be a part of where you can further your career and have fun at the same time!

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very busy work life which is balanced by an understanding that we all have home lives and the ability to manage both effectively. There is attention paid to how the employees feel about the work/life balance which is new the past few years. This attention has made the environment much more workable. The office environment is fun and loose which makes it a pleasure to come to the office. The attire is casual which is very important to me because I know I do my best work when I'm comfortable. There are parties during the work day which are nice. You can get away from your desk, mingle with your coworkers while enjoying good food and drink. Great location in soma with easy access to bart and other transit methods.

Cons

The pace of work can be hard to manage and reviews might not accurately reflect how you feel you're doing in your job due to the rounding curve that is used. I've heard from others that their management is hard to deal with and has unrealistic expectations about the work load. I haven't experienced that myself though.

I'm not convinced that the current strategy about letting the teams decide which projects get worked on at a given time. Seems to me that sometimes there needs to be more "leadership" from the leadership team. Maybe we need more help in deciding what project should get done when.

Good place to work

I have been working at StubHub

Pros

Good Work-life balance. Nice work place.

Cons

i couldn't think of any.

Ughhhh

I worked at StubHub full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stock Purchase Plan and Stock Options
    Discount on tickets through the Website
    Nice Working Environment, IF you are a sports fan
    Decent amount of time off

Cons

Too many changes with managers and they weren't educated about the people they managed.
    Expected employees to work too many hours with out officially saying it.

Treat employees better

Decent stock options, but StubHub is at a crossroads

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StubHub

Pros

I loved the laid-back environment of the San Fran office. CEO Chris Tsakalakis seems very accessible and genuine.

Cons

Seemed like top management had a tough time choosing a direction and sticking to it. Consequently, StubHub acquired my company, kept us for 2 years and then summarily laid all of us off.

Make a decision about the company's direction and stick to it.

An Enterprise startup?

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StubHub

Pros

Nice downtown location. Youthful, vibrant, startup culture. Some of the employees are true team players. Pay isn't bad. Interesting projects.

Cons

Lot's of politics and favoritism typical of startups. Engineering was probably the most political, but you had some talent. Product was disorganized, impulsive and evaded accountability. PMO was sad with execution; they seemed more interested in self-validation via long unproductive meetings. Everyone there complains about these things and a typical response is "welcome to Stubhub."

Figure out a way to enforce better accountability. Replace some people at the director level.

Great market and customers, but serious changes are needed before we lose more talent and market share.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Could be a place that defines important markets, products, and technology in the world. It makes a difference in the world.

Cons

Our GM is gone and changed was and is needed, He was not well supported by product leadership. They are not "A" players. No vision, no strategic thinking, no product passion, and terrible (dishonesty , bad mouthing, bad politicking , bullying) at human relationships. CTO is a nice person, but does not hold her team accountable.
    Engineering Mgmnt: about keeping control and power rather than about making the company succeed and enabling the talent who truly care.

There is still magic in the place, but you have a layer of management who cause attrition and negative vibes in the place. Please address this.

StubHub Internship

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at StubHub as an intern

Pros

Great company. Great learning opportunities.

Cons

Management not too involved with interns.

Avoid at all cost - Politics Hell

I worked at StubHub full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good eBay Benefits, Some random free tickets.
    There are some nice people at the employee level

Cons

Most likely if you are in technology you will hate coming to work, hate dealing with the politics and idiocy. You will not get ahead unless you play the politics game and kiss butt regardless of whether you are doing your job.

I was going to try and write some constructive, but I just can... Honestly you should all quit and allow a new talented leadership to replace you.