StubHub Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great direct management, higher-ups are withdrawn

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StubHub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

(The CEO during my time was not Scott Cutler) Managers and GMs were very supportive of their teams, company benefits are great, you are encouraged to work hard and be self-driven with the projects you choose or are assigned.

Cons

(The CEO during my time was not Scott Cutler) - Higher ups were completely out of touch with the work that employees did. As a panel, they would have monthly stand ups to get feedback from the employees, much of which would have been a benefit to the entire company if it were taken into account. After each session, they would tell us about their new plan and how surprised they were that the last plan didn't work, sometimes blaming certain teams for the poor results. - The results of the overall employee satisfaction survey was 23% at the end of my time there (100% = "every employee is incredibly happy working here", 0% = "every employee is hates their job") - Major strategies and plans would change constantly - The business structure was similar to a model that would have worked ten years ago - Getting anything approved was an arduous process that slowed everything down - Ideas that were approved and implemented were rarely innovative - Most people I have spoken too did not believe that their skills improved while working at StubHub - Some (not all) engineers did not care about building or fixing requests, until their boss gets wind of the issue and tells them they have to

Advice to Management

Employee happiness leads to increased productivity and innovation. This is something a company needs to consider, especially when they are the size that StubHub is and in a niche market where growth and innovation can be difficult.

Bloated behemoth that is lucky to have garnered market share as a start up.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Has huge market share and a brand everyone knows. Very little pressure from management to get anything done if you just want to job where you come in, get it done,and leave.

Cons

Archaic business structure that relies on a model from the dot com days. Completely non-innovative and anything new they do is litterally copying hot ideas in the startup space and slapping a StubHub logo on it. Not to mention everyone is so worried about covering their own butt, they can't make a decision to save their life. All of the departments are so silo'd, in management can't get their act together to make all of the pieces work together. Not to mention there's no real alignment of balls across the company so it becomes very chaotic. Badix in management can't get their act together to make all of the pieces work together. Not to mention there's no real alignment of goals across the company so it's chaotic.

Advice to Management

Align the department goals So it feels like there's actually one mission for one team. And actually build a website that doesn't operate like it's 2004. Even "new products" So it feels like there's actually one mission for one team. And actually build a website that doesn't operate like it's 2004, yes, even the new one.

System Administrator

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StubHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has deep Ebay pockets so project are well funded.

Cons

It behind to curve technologically for the Bay Area. You skill set will suffer relative to the rest of the industry

Challenged...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StubHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

StubHub is a company that has for many years enjoyed double digit growth. It has a large existing user base and a product that has been monetized well. It is in a fun vertical - connecting with music, sports, and theatre. People I worked with are very nice, easy to make lots of friends. Recent steps into agile are focusing the company on initiatives that are improving its ability to move.

Cons

StubHub is in a space that is no longer seeing sizable growth. Thus, the company must invest in building out or acquiring new products and features to grow its addressable market. It has a vision to do that, but has thus far fallen short on executing. The reasons for this are many: innovators are few, high attrition, and slow decision making. There is a steady stream of folks coming in and leaving -- high caliber talent does not stay put for very long in this market.

Advice to Management

Retain quality staff - focus on creating a sense of pride in coming to work at StubHub. Reward and retain quality talent, get rid of those who are coasting.

Trying to be a tech company but still a ticker reseller..

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at StubHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Easygoing - Great work/life balance - Convenient location - Not the best but still a good base salary - Senior management knows that things aren't great and working to fix with good intentions - You can work at StubHub for long years with no problem (which is also a con for someone who wants to grow)

Cons

I'll be honest with you folks at StubHub (I'm your friend) and please take these as honest feedback because I had good times at StubHub and I appreciate all the things you did for me. - Do not fool yourself, StubHub is NOT a technology company. There are great developers there, who are working really hard to get things right, but this company is not a tech company. It is a ticket retailer that has a website and mobile apps. - Almost NO equity! I believe this is mostly an eBay Inc. policy. I never understood it though. You are hiring a Senior Developer and giving him $40K worth of equity? Even if that developer accepts the offer for some other reason (which was in my case), how are you planning to keep him after that other reason is no more valid? Even more of that, how are you planning to attract talented developers? This is why StubHub will very less likely get more skilled developers.

Advice to Management

- A recommendation to (technical) senior management... I think it's better to move on for new adventures. I know people who have been there for at least 6-7 years, too long for the Bay Area! This is not Seattle and you are not working at Microsoft :) Just find someone fresh, and leave it to him/her for a change, because otherwise "change" will not just come by itself.

Coordinator

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator

Pros

Work hard, but it's often worth the reward.

Cons

Communication can be better at times

Reinvigorated organization

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Plenty of people who care deeply about the company, and the fans it serves 2) Leadership/management changes have been very positive. Good number of non-contributors at both junior and senior levels have moved on 3) Well defined strategy with strong focus on execution 4) Interesting mix of projects

Cons

1) Some politics and red-tapism 2) There are a lot of employees who get by without doing much

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Fun with a lot of bumps

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time

Pros

Tickets and Entertainment. How often can you work for a company that builds the commerce engine for friends to connect and go to events together ? StubHub builds the fan experience. Lots of great work

Cons

Centralized process: PMO comes up with new processes and tooling and pushes down to teams. We can't make any changes to anything without getting there approvals.

Advice to Management

Create a satellite office in East or South bay. Maybe move a team or two there. There are more folks that commute to SF that work in the city. Hiring talent hard because of the city location. - Decide on management style in Technology. We have Tech managers (QA, PD, PM) that are very different in skills. Some are pure people managers, some want visibility, and some are technical. Create the culture you want. - Promote from within instead of hiring from outside. Show the org by example that there is career growth. - Org Structure and alignment is needed (even if not tied to business). This will help with ownership, accountability and decision making - Create process cleanup (and does not mean get more coaches). Process cleanup should be owned by leads in all the orgs. More collaboration and teamwork across all the orgs, not top down from PMO. - Please put more focus in the Qualty organization. Its a mess and needs a leader that can build trust with the individual folks. - Don't look at gender when promoting or hiring. Diversity is great but its becoming too obvious in some cases. Hire the right people for the right role -

Passionate employees who are also fans

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

great atmosphere, everyone is interested in helping the customer

Cons

hard to get things done sometimes as everyone has their own ideas

Advice to Management

streamline teams that have the necessary authority and directive to complete projects

Nice and Good place to work and learn

Pros

Nice and Good place to work and learn

Cons

People don't believe new employees.They take time.Once we prove ourselves they encourage us.

RSS Feed </> Embed