StubHub Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

StubHub President Chris Tsakalakis
Chris Tsakalakis

Pros
  • Having a good Work/Life balance is encouraged daily from the top down (in 8 reviews)

• It has great benefits as backed by ebay inc and employees get free tickets for events (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Imbalance of work-life balance: people in technical roles have very little, people in non-technical roles work 9-5 (in 12 reviews)

• Senior Management is awful, misguided and delusional (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Data Engineer

Current Employee - Data Engineer/Data Warehouse Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Engineer/Data Warehouse Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and be part of a growing company. Passion to serve fans.

Cons

Not very innovative. But getting there

Peaks and Valleys. High Stress.

Current Employee - Regional Operations Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Operations Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at StubHub as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If you want to go to a game, concert or broadway show you will get the best seats in the house. Schedule can be flexible at times. Co-workers share a passion for sports.

Cons

Stressful. Lots of transactions involve ticket brokers, scalpers and runners who are very disorganized and unprofessional. Worked mostly nights and weekends. Did not receive lunch breaks. Pay was very low considering the high level of stress. Management played favorites in terms of scheduling, projects and work assignments.

Job description was not clear at all. Did not know what I was getting myself into. There was zero training involved. I was constantly yelled at for honest mistakes. Could not believe I did not receive even a 30 minute lunch break. I was asked to eat at my desk.

Exceptional Company

Former Employee - Regional Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at StubHub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Eccentric focus on people development. Extremely team oriented. Dedicated to being open, honest, and direct. Core values are a way of life. Too many pros to list.

Cons

No cons, this company and the people they employ are dedicated to world class experiences inside and out. Truly magnificent environment.

You have an exceptional team in place!!! Continue to be a leader in the people business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The WORST company I've worked for. Avoid like the plague.

I have been working at StubHub full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The entry and associate level of the workforce is extremely passionate about music, sports, and theater. This helps keep the culture and working there somewhat bearable.

Free bagels on Fridays!

Cons

Where do I begin?
    How about with the terribly inept managers. I have never worked at such a poorly managed company in my life. A lot of the current leaders are people who have been at StubHub for a long time. As the company grew, there really wasn't much of a choice but to make them managers. The problem is they never received adequate training on how to effectively manage people. On top of that, most of them lack the strategic vision to plan for the future, establish goals, and motivate and drive employees towards those goals. So half the time, employees receive very little guidance on what to work towards and what defines success. Managers are instead focused on micromanaging every single aspect of your workday. Employee empowerment is practically non-existent here.

Half of the management is also eBay rejects. Couldn't cut it in the big leagues so they sent them back to the trenches. After working with them for a while, it became obvious why they couldn't make it there. My boss sat right across from me came from eBay and I swear their workday consisted of three things: watching soccer, reading ESPN articles, and browsing twitter. When I came to him with legitimate questions, he seemed more annoyed than anything and gave me extremely vague answers. No leadership skills whatsoever.

Management is very much a boys club. Politics run rampant here. If you want to play the political game to get ahead, then by all means come work here. But know this: promotions are based on favoritism, not hard work and accomplishments. Don't be surprised if you work your butt off only to receive a tepid performance review. At the same time, your manager will probably take credit for your work and receive a promotion. This has happened to multiple people within the company. At the end of the day, complacent managers are trying their best to hold onto the little bit of power they have left. They know the lower level employees are hungry, ambitious, and full of good ideas. They are afraid these employees will take their positions, so they will do whatever they can to make sure you are not promoted.

Hiring works in the same way. When I was brought on board, they painted this picture of StubHub being a great place to grow your career and that employees have the ability to move around within the company. Wow, was that the biggest lie ever. Any time there was a new job available, the positions were filled by external candidates who conveniently happened to know/be friends with/or previously work with the hiring manager. Essentially, they just want a bunch of like-minded yes men who will do what they are told. Most of the time, internal employees weren't even given the opportunity to seriously interview for positions. There were multiple occasions where new hires were brought on without an internal application.

The LT doesn't value feedback at StubHub. Year after year, the company receives poor ratings in compensation, employee empowerment, and work-life balance. Have they done anything to address these issues? No. The leadership team also lies to employees. Numerous things are promised in terms of promotions, perks, and benefits, but those things never come.

Things take forever to accomplish here! Way too much bureaucracy/red tape to go through. There are meetings to talk about meetings. Half of the time, meetings just devolve into the managers bickering with one another while everyone else sits in the room twiddling their thumbs. Way too much time is wasted here.

All of this culminates in a poor product and a bad customer experience. Product launches get delayed continuously. Some projects are over a year behind. Leadership does nothing to correct this and it results in finger pointing between departments. A very volatile and hostile environment to work in.

At the end of the day, I would give StubHub zero stars if I could. LT is more concerned about hitting short term goals laid out by eBay than investing in creating a good product and benefiting in the long term. Terrible leadership.

A lot of people have been leaving lately for other opportunities. Take this as a sign that things are bad here.

- You can't really fire yourselves, but you should
    - Fire your low level managers
    - Recognize and reward your true talent and hard workers
    - Focus on long term growth instead of short term financial goals
    - Empower employees with good ideas
    - LISTEN TO EMPLOYEES
    - Stop sitting in your ivory tower
    - Stop asking employees to leave good reviews on Glassdoor. If you were a good company to work for, you would get good reviews. Take the bad reviews seriously. You know nothing that's posted is a lie.
    - Way too much middle management. Thin it out and we might actually get things done.
    - INNOVATE

Exciting Technologies To Work With

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff I Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced work place with lot of technical folks who are continuously innovating.

Cons

Too many people creates a lot of process overheads.

Management should consider growth options by investing in becoming primary source of the ticketing industry.

Bad company to work for

Current Employee - Biz Side Senior Individual Contributor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Biz Side Senior Individual Contributor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Mistake in life I did was to work for this bad minded company. Bad company..No respect for work. Very bad treatment to employees. The higher ups close their eyes and enjoy the show.

Cons

If we are not doing good. They replace us by bringing another resource. They replace employees after 5 years.. They are asked to move to another place or move to another company. I was kicked off by dumpty. No work culture.. Just show off..

how much feedback is needed for change?

I have been working at StubHub full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

steady business
    fun entertainment industry
    people are nice and helpful

Cons

many provide feedback about what is not working and can be improved and yet nothing changes.
    success can be your worse enemy

listen and act

Great company with vision

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time

Pros

I've been with SH for the past year and have really enjoyed my time thus far. The CEO (Chris T.) and fellow Cheifs have a clear vision of where this company is going and I'm excited to be a part of the ride. One last bit: In my experience so far, personal development is taken seriously as I've yet to be turned down for training.

Cons

It's too early to point out the Cons of this company.

I love the new "goal model."

Fun, exciting place

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Interesting work being done around e-commerce and social commerce
    * Fun people, relaxed work environment
    * Remains fairly independent of eBay overhead, which is nice
    * Great location in SF
    * Worldwide presence with exciting opportunities to grow
    * Strong brand

Cons

* Company has a great vision but needs help in executing

Take more risks, push overseas growth

StubHub a place to work ?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at StubHub full-time

Pros

An eBay company with great potential.
    Number one ticket hub.
    Market comparable compensation
    Few great engineers pockets (Recommendation, Content, Data).

Cons

Tech leadership and accountability.
    Too much waste. Not a place to build a career (but can be with some changes).

Stop hiring. Replace low contributors or bad skill sets.
    Don't be scared of change. Tech leadership needs to change. Less talk, more action with results. Take the feedback (broken processes, pulse feedback, project issues) and fix it.

Re-org but same leadership sends a bad message.

Worked for StubHub? Contribute to the Community!