Student Painters, LLC

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
Steve Acorn

Pros
  • Also, the company culture isn't even comparable to other companies that I have worked for (in 4 reviews)

• Those who say they had to spend all kinds of money were lazy and wanted to make an excuse as to why they couldn't run a great business (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a lot of hard work and can be long hours early on (in 7 reviews)

• Also, they warned me about the long hours before I even interviewed for the internship (in 7 reviews)

1. Amazing Opportunity

Current Employee - Office Employee in Shelby Township, MI
    Current Employee - Office Employee in Shelby Township, MI

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So many chances and opportunity to grow and learn in this company. great people too!

Cons

when working in the office- there can be lack of management

Advice to Management

Be more attentive and patient

2. Hard Word, Enjoy the Outdoors.

Former Employee - Production Manager in Lake Orion, MI
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Lake Orion, MI

I worked at Student Painters, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly unsupervised work. Get to be outside for the day. If you have a good crew of painters with you it can make for an enjoyable experience.

Cons

Manual labor, often 10 hours a day. Some things you have to do are rather unsafe or sketchy. Pay is mediocre at best. Early morning work hours to make the most of the daylight and avoid the tremendous heat during the summer.

Advice to Management

Train your crew managers better and provide them with better equipment. Train them about safety and proper protocols. Definitely risked my life a few times on the job, especially when it came to painting on roofs.

3. Lots of pep talk, little help and deception

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

Valuable learning experience
    Learn people skills

Cons

Lots of work for not much compensation as you would think
    Not much training, little idea of how to go about doing almost anything
    They give you lots of pep talk even to those when they know they are failing and will be shutting them down and transferring their sales to the next closest person
    They succeed off the people who fail around you
    Not much room to move up
    Seemed to good to be true and it was. Some students do make some money but it all depends on what area they assign you to. You can only do as much as your territory allows

Advice to Management

Less pep talk, more help. Let the students working for you make some money too.
    Less deception be more straight up and forward about things

5. Awesome Experience, Leading to Great Jobs and Opportunities, Just not Within the Company

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Provides a great resume which really helps when looking for future jobs
    2) Culture is one which can't be beat, college students taking on a lot of responsibility while having fun
    3) Experience is huge, it will be the thing everyone wants to talk about
    4) Depending on division, there is typically great leadership willing to help you every step along the way
    5) Opportunity for advancement within the company

Cons

1) Lack of clarity (trainings, rules, guidelines, pay)
    2) Too much micromanagement when a second-year manager (DM or RM)
    3) Income is completely based on how good you are at talking to people and learning the basics. A lot of luck is involved when it comes to individual area of business and mentor (DM or RM)

Advice to Management

1) Become more transparent, explain things further to employees in their first year, second, etc. You cannot keep alienating people
    2) Look at other reviews on this site and make the necessary corrections
    3) Cut down on the micromanagement. Each manager has a unique way of handling their business and as long as they're successful they should be left alone
    4) Fix the turnover ratio, no company should ever suffer the losses we do

Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simpsonville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simpsonville, SC

I worked at Student Painters, LLC (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a hard working job and I believe it does help some learn how to grow their own business.

Cons

I agree with many of the reviews I read about it being hard work. You will spend hours and hours of your summer working. There is nothing at all wrong with working hard and I prefer working hard and being challenged over having a care free job. But if you work so hard, wouldn't you want to be paid accordingly? If so, I wouldn't recommend this job. The company pushes you to give low bids on jobs in order to get the job, cutting into your profit. Once you get the job, your crew can not get finished in time, cutting into your profit. Once the job is over, 37%, yes 37% of the check goes straight to the company (this may have gone up in the past couple of years). With the left over 63% in revenue, you will pay for materials and your crews labor (normally about 50-60% of your bid). So you will be left over with about 5% for profit. This company has created what some would call a scam out of what should be a legitimate business helping young college students learn about business.

Advice to Management

Take less money from the students who bring you money.

7. With each step of development, I learn more about myself and my coaching abilities.

Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started in this program as a money hungry sophomore at the University of South Carolina. I made $8,100 very hard earned dollars. From there, I became and executive and oversaw over $250,000 in revenue with a team of rookie branch managers. That year, I made $24,000 in personal profit. I was an outlier - the average second year profit is about $15,000. I continued as a senior and then moved to Boston to start the New England division.

My "Pros" as a general manager for Rookie Managers:
    Great company culture
    Pick who you want to work with
    Great support system - team bonding
    Allows the opportunity for a great lifestyle experience at such a young age
    I surprisingly get fulfillment from working weekends :)

Cons

If your ready for the challenge to truly build a business from the ground up, then you are ready for road blocks and tough times. This program is not right for 98% of college students.

INTERNS BEWARE

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

Tons of information filled but sometimes hard-to-read training manuals.
    Helpful supervisor (When I could get him on the line. They are busy running their own businesses frequently)

Cons

They take you for every penny:
    Travel to different cities for company training: you pay.
    Painters that go over budget: you pay.
    Car payment, car insurance, summer gas money: you pay.
    Tools and equipment used to complete internship: you pay.

They overwork and underpay you. You are responsible for your own finances; however, the amount of money you will make is misrepresented.

Advice to Management

Get more involved and motivate employees more.

9. Awesome. One of the best internships a student can have in college.

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The life lessons learned here cannot be matched and the income potential is ridiculous. Also the culture is the best of any company I've worked with.

Cons

It's a lot of work and can at times be stressful.

Advice to Management

keep focusing on improving leadership and teaching techniques

They sell you on making money for them, you sell it to homeowners

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

As a BM for the 2014 summer painting season, I had a roller coaster of a time with this company. The marketing/sales training that you receive certainly is top notch. In the spring, this company gives you good motivation to go out and sell work (and feel good about it).

Cons

For all the time management teaches you about sales, marketing, leadership, etc. (which I admit they do a good job at for what it's worth), they miss out on the most important lessons in painting!

As the summer inches closer you will begin to feel the "money" factor from the higher ups (Steve Acorn and his VPs). The first warning sign was the paint training. Absolutely pathetic. As a BM, I expected a lot much more from the paint training. We were told in the early spring that this would be a "great experience where you and your painters learn a lot about the painting process," to the point where you start selling this paint training to clients. What you receive in your "Sherwin Williams Paint Training" is far from what you would expect. A rushed couple days focused on saving wages (all painters that each BM brings to paint training are paid minimum) with Sherwin Williams Reps offering little to no help at all (even if you ask for it). My painters and I went in not knowing much about painting, we left the same. I ended up watching youtube videos on how to paint (didn't work out too well).

Here comes summer. I won't bother with any of my specific experiences during the summer other than to say that 10-12 hour days are not uncommon and when a customer is upset, the company expects you to make them feel better, at whatever cost to protect the BBB rating.

Underestimated a job you already started on? That's too bad because the company takes a 40% margin of each job. What ends up happening to more BM's than me alone is houses being painted my BM's to "not lose money on a job." BTW it is very easy to lose money on a job when you have 40% of all revenue taken off of the top.

Another thing that management doesn't tell you is the fact that, on top of their ridiculous royalty margin, they charge you for everything that they "give you." From your those "complimentary" hotel rooms for training, the starter paint kit, to the cost of mailing your payroll. What's left is a lot of debt at the beginning of the summer.

This is a "growing" company that will fall. My suggestion for anyone considering doing this internship for the experience is to think again, unless you already know how to paint. A 40% royalty is as ridiculous as it seems, and you definitely feel it in the summer. At the end of the day, they definitely teach you a lot, but nothing that couldn't be learned from other internships.

Advice to Management

Take less royalty, spend more time on paint training

11. Student Painters changed my life for the better

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

Great culture. Awesome Training. Amazing opportunity

Cons

Some logistics problem with new office staff

RSS Feed </> Embed