Student Painters, LLC

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
4.2

Steve Acorn

Pros
  • Phenomenal company culture, unmatched r (in 4 reviews)

• Those who say they had to spend all kinds of money were lazy and wanted to make an excuse as to why they couldn't run a great business (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a lot of hard work and can be long hours early on (in 7 reviews)

• You will work incredibly long hours (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

With each step of development, I learn more about myself and my coaching abilities.

Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started in this program as a money hungry sophomore at the University of South Carolina. I made $8,100 very hard earned dollars. From there, I became and executive and oversaw over $250,000 in revenue with a team of rookie branch managers. That year, I made $24,000 in personal profit. I was an outlier - the average second year profit is about $15,000. I continued as a senior and then moved to Boston to start the New England division.

My "Pros" as a general manager for Rookie Managers:
    Great company culture
    Pick who you want to work with
    Great support system - team bonding
    Allows the opportunity for a great lifestyle experience at such a young age
    I surprisingly get fulfillment from working weekends :)

Cons

If your ready for the challenge to truly build a business from the ground up, then you are ready for road blocks and tough times. This program is not right for 98% of college students.

Worked with Student Painters for 2 years

Current Intern - Branch Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Branch Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

You can not and will not learn this much from any other internship. The fact that a company will invest in you to run your own business with no franchise fees or startup cost is amazing. This company trained me everything I needed to know to build the foundation to be an entrepreneur. The culture is young and I loved everyone I worked with. Networking within this company is worth the internship itself. I called my coach/manager every day and had meetings twice a week to consult my business. I got to run my business my own way but also had support from multiple higher ups as much as I needed. This internship not only taught me everything I know about real world business but also genuinely changed my life and the direction of my future. It didn't hurt to make $10,000 in just a few months.

Cons

It is a ton of work to run your own business and I had to be accountable for the way that I decided to run it. There got stressful when things don't go as planned or accidents happen but you will also go up with your business when things are going well.

Keep focussing on being accessible and great leadership.

Awesome. One of the best internships a student can have in college.

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The life lessons learned here cannot be matched and the income potential is ridiculous. Also the culture is the best of any company I've worked with.

Cons

It's a lot of work and can at times be stressful.

keep focusing on improving leadership and teaching techniques

They sell you on making money for them, you sell it to homeowners

I worked at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

As a BM for the 2014 summer painting season, I had a roller coaster of a time with this company. The marketing/sales training that you receive certainly is top notch. In the spring, this company gives you good motivation to go out and sell work (and feel good about it).

Cons

For all the time management teaches you about sales, marketing, leadership, etc. (which I admit they do a good job at for what it's worth), they miss out on the most important lessons in painting!

As the summer inches closer you will begin to feel the "money" factor from the higher ups (Steve Acorn and his VPs). The first warning sign was the paint training. Absolutely pathetic. As a BM, I expected a lot much more from the paint training. We were told in the early spring that this would be a "great experience where you and your painters learn a lot about the painting process," to the point where you start selling this paint training to clients. What you receive in your "Sherwin Williams Paint Training" is far from what you would expect. A rushed couple days focused on saving wages (all painters that each BM brings to paint training are paid minimum) with Sherwin Williams Reps offering little to no help at all (even if you ask for it). My painters and I went in not knowing much about painting, we left the same. I ended up watching youtube videos on how to paint (didn't work out too well).

Here comes summer. I won't bother with any of my specific experiences during the summer other than to say that 10-12 hour days are not uncommon and when a customer is upset, the company expects you to make them feel better, at whatever cost to protect the BBB rating.

Underestimated a job you already started on? That's too bad because the company takes a 40% margin of each job. What ends up happening to more BM's than me alone is houses being painted my BM's to "not lose money on a job." BTW it is very easy to lose money on a job when you have 40% of all revenue taken off of the top.

Another thing that management doesn't tell you is the fact that, on top of their ridiculous royalty margin, they charge you for everything that they "give you." From your those "complimentary" hotel rooms for training, the starter paint kit, to the cost of mailing your payroll. What's left is a lot of debt at the beginning of the summer.

This is a "growing" company that will fall. My suggestion for anyone considering doing this internship for the experience is to think again, unless you already know how to paint. A 40% royalty is as ridiculous as it seems, and you definitely feel it in the summer. At the end of the day, they definitely teach you a lot, but nothing that couldn't be learned from other internships.

Take less royalty, spend more time on paint training

Rip Off

Former Intern - Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Intern - Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Student Painters, LLC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You get to run "Your Own Business". It looks pretty good on a resume. And if you work hard, you DO come out with 6 - 7 grand.

Cons

It's not really your own business. It's just a direct extension of YEAA. They are constantly screaming down your neck to get your numbers up with little to no help after the first week or two. The culture is "white athlete". If you are not a white male with a jock-ish attitude, this summer is going to be rough for you.

The absolute worst part though? The fact that YEAA (the overseeing company) takes 40% of what you make. Come on. 40%? I could see 20. I could even see 25. But taking almost half of what I make before my taxes are even taking out is outrageous.

Dissatisfied Experience

Former Intern - Branch Manager
    Former Intern - Branch Manager

I worked at Student Painters, LLC as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot of valuable business skills on the fly but never felt like there was a strong support system.

Cons

I didn't receive a strong support system while working with this company, and I don't believe in the way they do business. I felt scammed working for them for a summer but couldn't quit because I was in too deep. Hopefully they make changes in the future because they exploit college students to do their grunt work. THIS IS A PYRAMID SCHEME!

Fix your business plan.

GREAT Opportunity, Very Rewarding Experience, Gain Rewarding Skills

Current Intern - Branch Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Intern - Branch Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Regardless of whether you run a $30,000 business or a $130,000 business, you WILL have a rewarding experience through this internship. The amount of effort you put in will tell you the story you will get out of this.

I ran my own business with no prior experience at all, and managed to make a lot of money. If you do things right, you won't have to worry about not making money. Yes, you do have to invest a lot of time into the business, but you WANT to. It's your business, your baby, so if you want it to be successful, you're going to put in the hours.

In order to succeed, you need a few things, namely a positive attitude and being coachable. You're given a mentor who ran their own business previously as well, so definitely go to them for advice and with any questions you have. That's what they're here for! They want you to succeed in this program!

Aside from money, you'll also gain important business skills, such as time management, organization, communication, the ability to manage your peers, etc. These will help you no matter what field you go into. Employers love the story, so definitely give this a go if given the opportunity and make the most of your opportunity with it to create the greatest story.

Cons

It is a LOT of time you have to put in. Just be prepared for that. The more work you put in, though, the more successful you are, so as long as you are okay putting in a lot of hours, you'll get a lot out of this.

Do more paint training

Top Internship in the Country

Current Intern - Branch Manager in Easley, SC
    Current Intern - Branch Manager in Easley, SC

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

No risk! If you are motivated and hard working, and extremely coachable, the program provides an amazing outlet. The training at Student Painters is on elite level. Student Painters really values the interns. The company is only successful when their interns are successful, so they make them the focus.

Cons

The program is not for everyone. It's for people that really want to get ahead. If you like sitting at a desk and collecting a $9/hr basic internship salary, this is not for you.

Hard Working

Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Student Painters, LLC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Student Painters are very good at providing extensive training to their employees and making sure they set everyone up for success. They strive for leadership among all employees and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Cons

Aren't really any cons. As long as you put time into the job and work hard, you will receive the benefits.

Student Painters changed my life for the better

I have been working at Student Painters, LLC

Pros

Great culture. Awesome Training. Amazing opportunity

Cons

Some logistics problem with new office staff