Student Works Painting Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
CEO

Pros
  • Student Works painting offers you a wide range of skill learning opportunity that reveal what it really takes to run a business effectively (in 6 reviews)

• It is an excellent opportunity for students to gain experience in virtually all areas of managing a business (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is lots of help and support and it is hard work and skill development that will make you successful (in 9 reviews)

• Owner operator cut corners on safety and pay to make a bigger profit (in 3 reviews)

1. You get out what you put in. Not a penny more, not a penny less.

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great senior management system that provides not only an exceptional support system but also valuable and lasting relationships. - Great systems in place to ensure success to all those who follow them. This part is important! If you take the experience as one of learning and development, and therefore follow the systems that the company teaches, you will be successful. - Great real life/real world experience and training in the many different aspects involved in building, owning, and operating your own business. - This company is an excellent example of a for-profit, social entrepreneurship. SWP is focused on helping young people develop their skills and making money doing it. Yes they take a cut, as they must in order to remain a sustainable business. They also teach young business owners, however, how to be efficient and profitable. This means that while making money off of what they provide, you (the franchise owner) can also make money off of what you provide, and you (the painter) can also make money off of what you provide. - Overall, the company provides a great service, and great opportunities for significant educational and financial gains. - Most importantly, I think, the company teaches emphasizes a healthy work/life balance. Work hard, play hard, have fun.

Cons

- If you don't work hard, you won't see desirable results. - If you don't follow the systems, you may still be successful, but it will be much more difficult. - The job is challenging for everyone, if that doesn't appeal to you, the job is not for you. - If you don't like the idea of a results based economy (one where you get out what you put in rather than making the same wage as the person next to you regardless of performance) this company will not appeal to you.

Advice to Management

Continue to always move forward and improve.

Great learning experience, very difficult to do

Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA

Pros

Great ability to run a business at a young age Potential for huge profits given the right circumstances Get exposure to a wide variety of business tasks, basically learn how to start and finish a business from scratch

Cons

Sales training is provided but technical training on how to paint is very weak Management only helps out its best people Pyramid scheme type of corporate set up They milk you for everything you are worth They do not tell you about potential problems, leaving you unprepared to deal with them when they arise

Advice to Management

The system works well, but has high turnover It is a pyramid scheme Offer better support to managers and they will likely bring you in more money

3. know what your getting into.

Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

There are two choices for students to take part in the success of Student Works Painting. Students can become a Owner Operator and actually run a business or to be trained as a painter and work in a business. Each choice brings a unique experience and provides a different perspective of the painting business. Owner Operators gain valuable experience with the operation of their own business following a tried and true process developed by Student Works Painting. You will be exposed to all aspects of running a business including; staffing, marketing, selling and managing paint jobs. This level of participation requires a high level of commitment. As painters, students take on the role of painter or crew chief. This level of participation is focused on the delivery of service (painting) and customer interaction. The work is summer based and aligns with your need to work between university or college terms. Depending upon the experience that you want, and the level of commitment you have, Student Works Painting has a role for you.

Cons

long hours. money not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

be truthful

5. My Experience with Student Works Painting

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting (Less than a year)

Pros

Student Works Painting trained me on every aspect of running a business. Under their guidance I ran a business exceeding $200,000 in sales over two summers. I was working at Starbucks when I got hired and I left the program with two successful years of being an entrepreneur. The program gives you experience and skills that are impossible for students to get elsewhere.

Cons

The program requires a level of hard work and commitment that most students have never experienced. I would recommend the program to ambitious and motivated students looking to distinguish themselves from their peers.

Advice to Management

Follow the system and work hard. The company doesn't make money unless you make money, and they have a vested interested in you doing well.

Aug 25, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your excellent review and congratulations on your hard work and success!

6. Nicholas Couture

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

Taught me what hard work meant, I gained a vast knowledge of running a company as well as made a good chunk of money for 7 months of work

Cons

You need to put in 60-80 hours a week do do well

Advice to Management

Put in the time, use the stress to your advantage, try to self motivate

Aug 18, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive feedback and accurate comments!

7. Entrepreneurship 101

Current Employee - Owner-Operator in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Owner-Operator in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SWP is a great opportunity for any student that want to become an entrepreneur. The money is great and the experience you will get out of it is amazing. The company provides all the tools needed to be successful and they will push you to develop your skills. The company culture is all about success and life achievement. You learn a lot about yourself during the process. You also meet people that share similar interests. Goal-setting, sales, marketing, public speaking, management, these are the skills that I got to improve the most during my time at SWP.

Cons

It is not easy. The work is really challenging. If you have no interest in being an entrepreneur, this program is not for you. You need to be able to manage stress and you can't be afraid to fail. You will experience failure quite often (and it is ok).

Advice to Management

I think that adding an extra paint training earlier in the season would be beneficial. Rookie Operators would build their confidence faster by knowing more about painting earlier in the season.

Aug 18, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive review. We definitely would love to allow for more paint specific training. It is a constant struggle to manage all the priorities of sales, recruiting, marketing ... More

Life changing experience!

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a student works painting operator is the best way to start a business as a university student and gain experience that you would not get anywhere else. As someone planning to spend the rest of my life in business this was an incredible experience for me to practically run all aspects of a business and learn what my strengths are as well as the areas where I can grow. The district managers are all trained to support you and assist you in growing all areas of your business and your life. There is also an incredible company culture. All of the operators get together every other week for company parties. It is a great way to spend time with other successful students to share stories, support each other, and have a break from work. The CEO of SWP has also called me several times throughout the summer to congratulate me on successes which is incredibly encouraging. All you have to do is look at the long list of past SWP operators and see that many of them are now very successful Canadian millionaires. Being a Student Works operator has inspired me to aim big and have huge goals for my life and my future as a young business person. I would recommend this job to anyone who is ready to work harder than they could have ever imagined and be a much better and more successful person for it.

Cons

Operating a Student Works Painting business is definitely physically and mentally straining and it is not for everyone. It has been the most challenging summer I have ever had and the stress at times was more than I thought I could handle. It is extremely hard work and although I have probably made more money this summer than any of my friends, I have definitely worked 10 times harder, and put several more hours in than any of them. Student Works Painting is about the experience, and pushing your limits in terms of what you think you can do, so if you are not good at stress management, balancing school, social life and work, and pushing yourself, than this is not the summer job for you. Do not join student works painting strictly for the money, because it will not be worth it!

Advice to Management

More district managers would be helpful so that each DM has more time assisting each Operator. I think that this would result in higher earning operators if we each had more one on one support from our managers.

Aug 11, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive review! We would love to be able to have more District Managers and will look at our allotment of operators on each DM team. Thanks

9. Great Experience, If you don't work hard, get ready to get your a*s handed to you.

Current Employee - Owner/Operator in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Owner/Operator in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to learn a lot and grow as a person. It's a great opportunity to get a ton of experience in the business world since you will be running pretty much all the aspects of the business but not just that, you become more confident and develop the skills required to be a great sales person.. if you put in the effort. You get to be part of a great family that cares about you and look out for you and since you all have the same ambitions and goals, it's always inspiring to be around that kind of atmosphere.You also have an opportunity to become independent and test your potential. If you work hard and follow all the systems and not let fear/stress get in your way, you'll be making a ton of money in the summer. WORK HARD PLAY HARD SON

Cons

It's super hard work. It's not just 'hard' work. No it's like they said during the info sessions, "it's going to be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life up until this point unless you've cured cancer already". And I couldn't agree more. If you come into this thinking you can just meh get by and do work here and there and expect to make a ton of money in the summer, you're not gonna like the results. This requires you to always be on top of your game and develop a thick skin to get past all the rejections. Oh and you can't forget about stress, if you're not even studying business and have no business experience at all, this is gonna be super stressful. Stressful to a point where at times you just wanna roll up in bed for a week and do anything... which happens.. ahah. Also, painters.. they're not gonna be a great part of the business if you have bad painters that always screw you over by going over budget for like 5-6 jobs, and no i'm not saying it's all their fault! It's your fault for keeping such bad painters for this long because then they're gonna come back all mad and furious since they didn't get paid. I know it's hard to fire people, but it's sometimes the best thing for everyone. But seriously. If you're coming in here expecting to make money while not working your butt off and staying on top your stuff, whether that be getting sales, producing work, being good to clients, being GREAT to painters, not being lazy, doing what you're supposed to be doing and changing your lifestyle if everything in your room/car is a complete mess. Then this is not for you because it's not easy money like you might think.

Aug 18, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

I appreciate all of your feedback and agree with your comments. This is an amazing experience and tremendous challenge!

10. Une très belle expérience

Current Employee - Gérant/Opérateur
    Current Employee - Gérant/Opérateur

Pros

Avec cet emploi j'ai appris pleins de choses qui, j'en suis certain, vont m'être très utiles plus tard. Des choses comme comment recruter des employés de manière efficace et d'avoir les meilleurs employés possible ou encore des techniques de vente diverses. Il y a vraiment beaucoup d'autres connaissances utiles qu'on apprend a travers ce travail et j'ai beaucoup appris sur moi-même. Je connais beaucoup mieux mes forces et mes faiblesses qu'avant ce qui est indispensable pour progresser dans la vie. Une autre point fort de cette compagnie est juste l'ensemble de personnes y travaillant, il y a plusieurs évènements organiser par la compagnie a travers l'été et ce sont de très belles occasion pour avoir du fun et obtenir différents trucs de d'autres entrepreneurs comme nous pour être plus efficace dans la gestion de notre entreprise. Nous pouvons très souvent rejoindre notre directeur régionnaux aussi pour leurs demander conseil sur n'importe quoi concernant notre compagnie ce qui est vraiment réconfortant par moments. Je recommande cet emploi a tout étudiant qui désire avoir sa propre compagnie un jour! Pour ma part, j'ai fais beaucoup d'argent cet été et j'ai passer un très bel été!

Cons

Il est très important d'être quelqu'un pouvant endurer beaucoup de stress et s'avoir dealer avec parce que c'est un emploi qui met dans des situations très stressantes par moments et si on est pas solide mentalement tout peut s'écrouler assez rapidement. Bien que nous puissions rejoindre nos directeurs régionaux assez facilement, il est plus difficile de les avoir en personne pour nous aider a determiner une manière d'opérer sur un chantier. Cet emploi demande beaucoup de temps lors des études, alors il faut être capable de se discipliner pour trouver le temps de tout faire. Pour ceux qui n'habite pas montréal, les évènements organiser par la compagnie vont vous faire vous déplacer énormément en voiture ce qui est un peu déplaisant (mais ca vaut la peine).

Advice to Management

Je pense que d'avoir un directeur régional qui habite la même ville que les opérateurs qu'il paraine serait très apprécié et pratique, bien que de l'avoir loin nous force a être plus indépendant.

11. Owner/Operator

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Georgetown, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Georgetown, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Student Works is a fantastic opportunity to make loads of money and have a great summer! The SWP culture is very inviting and friendly. Interviewing process is quite rigorous and rightly so as they look for the best. There is no better way to get introduced to the business world than with SWP. It is a lot of hard work and time commitment as owning and operating any company is but what better way is there to experience business and entrepreneurship than doing just that! Work for yourself, being responsible for the ups and downs and learning how to make money. SWP is highly recommended to any and every aspiring entrepreneur and business student.

Cons

Can be stressful at times and some financial support may be needed during start-up. Car is required and students must be financially prepared to take on initial expenses.

Aug 11, 2015 – President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive feedback and accurate feedback!

RSS Feed </> Embed