Student Works Painting

Updated August 17, 2014
Updated August 17, 2014
3.9

CEO

You get out what you put in. Not a penny more, not a penny less.

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great senior management system that provides not only an exceptional support system but also valuable and lasting relationships.
    - Great systems in place to ensure success to all those who follow them. This part is important! If you take the experience as one of learning and development, and therefore follow the systems that the company teaches, you will be successful.
    - Great real life/real world experience and training in the many different aspects involved in building, owning, and operating your own business.
    - This company is an excellent example of a for-profit, social entrepreneurship. SWP is focused on helping young people develop their skills and making money doing it. Yes they take a cut, as they must in order to remain a sustainable business. They also teach young business owners, however, how to be efficient and profitable. This means that while making money off of what they provide, you (the franchise owner) can also make money off of what you provide, and you (the painter) can also make money off of what you provide.
    - Overall, the company provides a great service, and great opportunities for significant educational and financial gains.
    - Most importantly, I think, the company teaches emphasizes a healthy work/life balance. Work hard, play hard, have fun.

Cons

- If you don't work hard, you won't see desirable results.
    - If you don't follow the systems, you may still be successful, but it will be much more difficult.
    - The job is challenging for everyone, if that doesn't appeal to you, the job is not for you.
    - If you don't like the idea of a results based economy (one where you get out what you put in rather than making the same wage as the person next to you regardless of performance) this company will not appeal to you.

Continue to always move forward and improve.

Scam, pyramid scheme, irrelevant how hard you work

Former Employee - Branch Operator  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Operator in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Student Works Painting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Teaches young, naive students not to be so naive and to look more closely at what a company is offering (which for SWP is very little)

Cons

This company is a pyramid scheme that preys on unsuspecting college students. Similar to the empty "work hard, reap rewards" positive reviews on this site, SWP pushes the message that those who work hard succeed. This is untrue. And probably even illegal.

SWP selects a few franchisees to focus on, to make successful, and to utilize as illustrations of what every franchisee should be like. Everyone else is basically setup to fail, because whether or not the franchisee falls, corporate still gets its large cut off the top.

Customers get their houses painted, corporate/management gets its cut, and if lucky, the franchisee walks away without losing to much of his own personal investment.

Study an ethics book.

Great learning experience, very difficult to do

Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator  in  Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA

I worked at Student Works Painting

Pros

Great ability to run a business at a young age
    Potential for huge profits given the right circumstances
    Get exposure to a wide variety of business tasks, basically learn how to start and finish a business from scratch

Cons

Sales training is provided but technical training on how to paint is very weak
    Management only helps out its best people
    Pyramid scheme type of corporate set up
    They milk you for everything you are worth
    They do not tell you about potential problems, leaving you unprepared to deal with them when they arise

The system works well, but has high turnover
    It is a pyramid scheme
    Offer better support to managers and they will likely bring you in more money

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

know what your getting into.

Former Employee - Area Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Student Works Painting

Pros

There are two choices for students to take part in the success of Student Works Painting. Students can become a Owner Operator and actually run a business or to be trained as a painter and work in a business. Each choice brings a unique experience and provides a different perspective of the painting business.
    Owner Operators gain valuable experience with the operation of their own business following a tried and true process developed by Student Works Painting. You will be exposed to all aspects of running a business including; staffing, marketing, selling and managing paint jobs. This level of participation requires a high level of commitment.

As painters, students take on the role of painter or crew chief. This level of participation is focused on the delivery of service (painting) and customer interaction. The work is summer based and aligns with your need to work between university or college terms.

Depending upon the experience that you want, and the level of commitment you have, Student Works Painting has a role for you.

Cons

long hours. money not guaranteed.

be truthful

A terrific application of business studies

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time for less than a year

Pros

- A team of knowledgeable, helpful, and experienced managers offer feedback on a weekly basis.
    - Initiative, accountability, and responsibility, along with many other skills, are all taught and applied throughout the course of eight months
    - Granted me the ability to apply the knowledge I gained from my first year university studies.

Cons

- Constant focus, willingness and motivation to ensure your business succeeds.
    - A large leap of responsibility and trust. Must be willing to assume all failures as his/her own.
    - Solid finances required to start up an 'above & beyond' business model.

- Longer weekly meetings.
    - Increase responsibility rapidly throughout the pre-season.

Sep 10, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to work on raising the bar on our training. The role continues to demand more and more from our team and yes, our operators. The upside is we keep ... More

Thrilled to have a experienced a life changing position!

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Invaluable hands-on experiences; recruiting, managing, problem solving, scheduling, managing profitability
    - Pushing yourself to go outside of what you thought you could handle
    - You are the one responsible for everything, and receive recognition for everything
    - Incredible people; everyone is determined to succeed and have fun
    - Constant support for senior management; they're always calling you to lend you support, coach you to succeed, and run a better business
    - Bi-weekly mandatory fun events (White water rafting, paintball, laser quest, BBQs/Pool Parties, Mexico trip! etc)

Cons

- Constant focus, willingness and motivation to ensure your business succeeds
    - Your phone is always ringing
    - You are the one responsible for everything, which also means you get all the tension when challenges occur with clients and painters
    - Early mornings and late nights working

- Push us harder and hold us more accountable to our goals!
    - Perhaps more coaching on how to book bigger, commercial jobs - 5K +!

Aug 15, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive feedback!

Being an owner/operator is the freedom to work as hard as you want to get the corresponding results.

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time for more than a year

Pros

The harder you work, the more money you make. I was able to relax most days because I decided that I would rather relax than make more money. Next summer, I will be working much harder and making way more money now that I've learned all the ins and outs of my first year.

Cons

This job is very stressful. Staff and clientele were constantly on my mind all summer. You have big job; people are trusting you with probably their biggest investment and you have to simultaneously learn how to make it look nice and not screw anything else up. Apart from the stress, the work is what you put into it, so there really isn't anything else to complain about.

My greatest disappointment this year was learning as I went. I experienced a lot of difficulty keeping clients happy because they expected a level of skill that I couldn't deliver, particularly at the beginning of the summer. I would recommend more hands on exterior training so that we are able to confidently execute jobs and also turn down jobs that we will not be able to safely complete.

Aug 15, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are constantly seeking to improve. It is a constant focus for us to share all there is know about the 'trade' of painting in such a short window. The learning ... More

Would never work with Student Works again

Former Employee - Painter  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Painter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting for less than a year

Pros

Worked with a good crew, enjoyed painting, loved working outside

Cons

Safety regulations definitely not followed: often left without face masks, goggles or anything to clean up with
    Owner operator cut corners on safety and pay to make a bigger profit
    Routinely tried to get away with not paying first day as "training" even though law doesn't allow this
    Owner Operator deducted pay for materials which is also against the law
    Warranty work is paid directly through electronic transfer with no deductions, again against the law
    Ladder safety not a priority: no stabilizers used, no fall arrest system in place, sometimes ladders too short for job
    If you don't care about safety or being paid for the hours you work, then this is the place for you.

Badly flawed system that teaches owner operators to sell but but not much else. The system seems to encourage cutting corners on safety to increase profit as well as finding ways to not pay painters. If senior management really wanted to mentor and teach young entrepreneurs, it would teach them how to do things within the law, not as little as possible to increase owner earnings

Aug 11, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your feedback although negative we appreciate it. Your cons are noted and these issues should not happen.

Your safety concerns are especially frightening. We have gone to great
    ... More

Do not work for or hire.

Current Employee - Painter  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a good opportunity for students to learn to manage their own business but in shoddy way.

Cons

Disorganized, extremely unsafe and all around exploitation of workers and clients. Based on experience this was not an isolated case with one manager, but multiple and even higher management. I can say this because i was an experienced painter going into it and the students were not aware of how much they were getting ripped off.

Maybe hire managers that know how to paint to see to quality work. Managers should be helping the painters in some way as well as create a safe environment rather than just doing estimates.

Aug 11, 2014President - Eastern Canada

I appreciate your concern and feedback. Certainly our operator training and coaching can go from exceptional to needs improvement. I am sorry that you were working with someone that needed ... More

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Painter  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Painter in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great learning opportunity, awesome coworkers, and the job has a lot of potential for opening up opportunities is trades, business, and marketing.

Cons

Not always ideal working conditions, sometimes scarce supervision, often run into unforseen and unmanageable problems that will push back the job finishing date.

Aug 11, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your feedback. Certainly, a business is a lot to handle for a first year student and not seeing what one might with more experience is definitely a more common experience for our ... More

Worked for Student Works Painting? Contribute to the Community!