Student Works Painting

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.6

CEO

Pros
  • I learned a tremendous amount about how to market, sell, lead people and really, run a business (in 6 reviews)

• It is an excellent opportunity for students to gain experience in virtually all areas of managing a business (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • If you shy away from responsibility and hard work, then this opportunity is not for you (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of hard work, not suited for people with poor work ethics or low risk tolerance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

You get out what you put in. Not a penny more, not a penny less.

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great senior management system that provides not only an exceptional support system but also valuable and lasting relationships.
    - Great systems in place to ensure success to all those who follow them. This part is important! If you take the experience as one of learning and development, and therefore follow the systems that the company teaches, you will be successful.
    - Great real life/real world experience and training in the many different aspects involved in building, owning, and operating your own business.
    - This company is an excellent example of a for-profit, social entrepreneurship. SWP is focused on helping young people develop their skills and making money doing it. Yes they take a cut, as they must in order to remain a sustainable business. They also teach young business owners, however, how to be efficient and profitable. This means that while making money off of what they provide, you (the franchise owner) can also make money off of what you provide, and you (the painter) can also make money off of what you provide.
    - Overall, the company provides a great service, and great opportunities for significant educational and financial gains.
    - Most importantly, I think, the company teaches emphasizes a healthy work/life balance. Work hard, play hard, have fun.

Cons

- If you don't work hard, you won't see desirable results.
    - If you don't follow the systems, you may still be successful, but it will be much more difficult.
    - The job is challenging for everyone, if that doesn't appeal to you, the job is not for you.
    - If you don't like the idea of a results based economy (one where you get out what you put in rather than making the same wage as the person next to you regardless of performance) this company will not appeal to you.

Continue to always move forward and improve.

Scam, pyramid scheme, irrelevant how hard you work

Former Employee - Branch Operator in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Operator in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Student Works Painting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Teaches young, naive students not to be so naive and to look more closely at what a company is offering (which for SWP is very little)

Cons

This company is a pyramid scheme that preys on unsuspecting college students. Similar to the empty "work hard, reap rewards" positive reviews on this site, SWP pushes the message that those who work hard succeed. This is untrue. And probably even illegal.

SWP selects a few franchisees to focus on, to make successful, and to utilize as illustrations of what every franchisee should be like. Everyone else is basically setup to fail, because whether or not the franchisee falls, corporate still gets its large cut off the top.

Customers get their houses painted, corporate/management gets its cut, and if lucky, the franchisee walks away without losing to much of his own personal investment.

Study an ethics book.

Great learning experience, very difficult to do

Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Owner/Operator in Ontario, CA

I worked at Student Works Painting

Pros

Great ability to run a business at a young age
    Potential for huge profits given the right circumstances
    Get exposure to a wide variety of business tasks, basically learn how to start and finish a business from scratch

Cons

Sales training is provided but technical training on how to paint is very weak
    Management only helps out its best people
    Pyramid scheme type of corporate set up
    They milk you for everything you are worth
    They do not tell you about potential problems, leaving you unprepared to deal with them when they arise

The system works well, but has high turnover
    It is a pyramid scheme
    Offer better support to managers and they will likely bring you in more money

know what your getting into.

Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Student Works Painting

Pros

There are two choices for students to take part in the success of Student Works Painting. Students can become a Owner Operator and actually run a business or to be trained as a painter and work in a business. Each choice brings a unique experience and provides a different perspective of the painting business.
    Owner Operators gain valuable experience with the operation of their own business following a tried and true process developed by Student Works Painting. You will be exposed to all aspects of running a business including; staffing, marketing, selling and managing paint jobs. This level of participation requires a high level of commitment.

As painters, students take on the role of painter or crew chief. This level of participation is focused on the delivery of service (painting) and customer interaction. The work is summer based and aligns with your need to work between university or college terms.

Depending upon the experience that you want, and the level of commitment you have, Student Works Painting has a role for you.

Cons

long hours. money not guaranteed.

be truthful

Amazing, meet so many people, learned many new things, made money

Current Employee - Franchise/Operator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise/Operator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are your own boss, there are no limitations to how much you can make, work your butt off and you will be rewarded greatly. build your own team of workers. work outside in the summer and get a nice tan.

Cons

you have to work a lot, you will have clients phone you frequently.
    THIS JOB IS VERY TIME CONSUMING!!! prepare yourself to have no life and make money for a summer.
    winter is harsh and that's when you start going door to door looking for work.

Oct 7, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your review. There is no doubt, this role is very time consuming. Our top performers love the opportunity to have a role that they can invest enormous amounts of time to create a great ... More

Stressful, hard work, learning experience

Former Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-It is an incredible learning experience!
    -Always have a situation to give out of this experience when I go on interviews
    -District managers are willing to help
    -You go to vancouver at the end of the season even if you don't meet your goal

Cons

-It's your business, therefore all expenses are on you
    -The average income is not what they advertised, its hard to make money and be successful
    -Work/life balance sucks the first 2 months and a half of production
    -Be ready to deal with people, specially painters you hire

-Do know pressure franchisees to work 7 days a week the first 2 months as they will burnt out. In fact, advise them to take one day off ! because a happy person would be more productive!

Oct 24, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thank you very much for your feedback. I think your comments are very valid. The work is very hard and it is hard to make the average income that is made in our organization. The people that do ... More

SWP

I worked at Student Works Painting full-time

Pros

horrible people managing the student business

Cons

horrible people managing the student business

Oct 24, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Hi
    I am so disappointed that you had a bad experience with one of our operators. I would love to hear from you so that we could see what coaching that operator needs to learn from this poor
    ... More

A terrific application of business studies

Current Employee - Franchise Owner/Operator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- A team of knowledgeable, helpful, and experienced managers offer feedback on a weekly basis.
    - Initiative, accountability, and responsibility, along with many other skills, are all taught and applied throughout the course of eight months
    - Granted me the ability to apply the knowledge I gained from my first year university studies.

Cons

- Constant focus, willingness and motivation to ensure your business succeeds.
    - A large leap of responsibility and trust. Must be willing to assume all failures as his/her own.
    - Solid finances required to start up an 'above & beyond' business model.

- Longer weekly meetings.
    - Increase responsibility rapidly throughout the pre-season.

Sep 10, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to work on raising the bar on our training. The role continues to demand more and more from our team and yes, our operators. The upside is we keep ... More

Thrilled to have a experienced a life changing position!

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Invaluable hands-on experiences; recruiting, managing, problem solving, scheduling, managing profitability
    - Pushing yourself to go outside of what you thought you could handle
    - You are the one responsible for everything, and receive recognition for everything
    - Incredible people; everyone is determined to succeed and have fun
    - Constant support for senior management; they're always calling you to lend you support, coach you to succeed, and run a better business
    - Bi-weekly mandatory fun events (White water rafting, paintball, laser quest, BBQs/Pool Parties, Mexico trip! etc)

Cons

- Constant focus, willingness and motivation to ensure your business succeeds
    - Your phone is always ringing
    - You are the one responsible for everything, which also means you get all the tension when challenges occur with clients and painters
    - Early mornings and late nights working

- Push us harder and hold us more accountable to our goals!
    - Perhaps more coaching on how to book bigger, commercial jobs - 5K +!

Aug 15, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive feedback!

Being an owner/operator is the freedom to work as hard as you want to get the corresponding results.

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The harder you work, the more money you make. I was able to relax most days because I decided that I would rather relax than make more money. Next summer, I will be working much harder and making way more money now that I've learned all the ins and outs of my first year.

Cons

This job is very stressful. Staff and clientele were constantly on my mind all summer. You have big job; people are trusting you with probably their biggest investment and you have to simultaneously learn how to make it look nice and not screw anything else up. Apart from the stress, the work is what you put into it, so there really isn't anything else to complain about.

My greatest disappointment this year was learning as I went. I experienced a lot of difficulty keeping clients happy because they expected a level of skill that I couldn't deliver, particularly at the beginning of the summer. I would recommend more hands on exterior training so that we are able to confidently execute jobs and also turn down jobs that we will not be able to safely complete.

Aug 15, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are constantly seeking to improve. It is a constant focus for us to share all there is know about the 'trade' of painting in such a short window. The learning ... More

Student Works Painting Photos