Student Works Painting

3.8

CEO

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Learning and Earning Experience

Current Employee - Owner and Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Owner and Operator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a tremendous amount about how to market, sell, lead people and really, run a business. I had control over my time, what I earned and how well I did. I worked with other awesome people - district managers and other great operators. I loved the cooperation and competitive vibe between the other operators to push each other to greater success!

Cons

You have to be a hard worker! If you are not a hard worker and have strong communication skills this program is not for you! You have to take responsibility for your actions and results. There is lots of help and support and it is hard work and skill development that will make you successful. There is no easy way to run this business or any other business for that matter.

Focus on getting great people into your business because they are the people that win!

Would never work with Student Works again

Former Employee - Painter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting (less than an year)

Pros

Worked with a good crew, enjoyed painting, loved working outside

Cons

Safety regulations definitely not followed: often left without face masks, goggles or anything to clean up with
    Owner operator cut corners on safety and pay to make a bigger profit
    Routinely tried to get away with not paying first day as "training" even though law doesn't allow this
    Owner Operator deducted pay for materials which is also against the law
    Warranty work is paid directly through electronic transfer with no deductions, again against the law
    Ladder safety not a priority: no stabilizers used, no fall arrest system in place, sometimes ladders too short for job
    If you don't care about safety or being paid for the hours you work, then this is the place for you.

Badly flawed system that teaches owner operators to sell but but not much else. The system seems to encourage cutting corners on safety to increase profit as well as finding ways to not pay painters. If senior management really wanted to mentor and teach young entrepreneurs, it would teach them how to do things within the law, not as little as possible to increase owner earnings

Aug 11, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your feedback although negative we appreciate it. Your cons are noted and these issues should not happen.

Your safety concerns are especially frightening. We have gone to great
    ... More

Great learning experience, helped secure great job after University!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Income is incentive based rather than time based, for my personality type this was incredibly exciting, it drove me to perform at a high level
    - Long lasting relationships with other Owner/Operators in the business
    - Good mentorship available for those who actively seek extra help and strive for growth
    - Great practice at making decisions, you have almost full autonomy of you business (which is good for aspiring business leaders)
    - Great business to practice transferable skills in. This position helped me secure my next position with relative ease and a lot of choice between opportunities.

Cons

- Having near full autonomy of your business means that you could also make bad decisions. While there is a system to follow and mentors to guide you, it is ultimately up to you to make decisions. Do not be afraid of making decisions, but before pursuing to run a business, you need to be aware of the ups and downs
    - Can be a rude awakening for some people as they receive a lesson in personal accountability. Remember, your actions solely will determine your success or failure. Do not be afraid of that, just make sure you are someone who finishes what they start and does what they say they will do
    - This is one of the hardest summer experiences that a student can pursue, and for the right person this will launch their career

Aug 11, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your positive feedback. We appreciate it.
    This opportunity is definitely one of the hardest experiences that a student can pursue and it is right for some students. We are glad it was

Great Opportunity for Development

Current Employee - Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operator in Guelph, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This experience will allow you to develop skills that are transferable throughout your personal and professional life. This position allows you to gain in-field experience working as a business owner, which is something that many people will never have, especially at this age. You will be set apart from your peers as a responsible, hardworking individual with strong leadership and communication skills. For myself, I'm positive that this experience has strongly and strongly influenced the path my life with follow.

Cons

It would depend on how you look at it. If you are someone who doesn't like to work hard and drive great results, then you might say some of the cons are that this position is challenging, makes you solve problems, and that it puts you out of your comfort zone. In my opinion, these are some of the most valuable components of this position.

Aug 11, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks so much for your positive feedback

Exhilirating

Current Employee - Franchise Owner in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow as an individual
    Experience entrepreneurship in its true sense
    Be able to experience all facets of a business

Cons

Expectations should be drilled in more

Practical training should be held earlier if possible

Aug 11, 2014President - Eastern Canada

Thanks for your feedback!
    I know based on many operators feedback we are holding practical training earlier in the season and it continues to be a high area of focus for continuing improvement
    All
    ... More

Great working environment, but horrible payment experience

Former Employee - Canvasser in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Student Works Painting part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at the Star.
    Collaborative work environment.
    Constructive criticism.
    Great skill building job.

Cons

Contract did not clearly define payment structure.

Make contracts clearer, and more kid-friendly

Unparalleled opportunity to distingish myself from my peers

Current Employee - Area Manager in Collingwood, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Collingwood, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Gain management experience without any management experience
    -Build strong network of likeminded high achievers
    -Learn how to balance working hard and having fun - "Work Hard, Play Hard"
    -Following strong systems creates opportunity to graduate from school debt free!

Cons

All Student Works managers are ultimately responsible for any "Cons" that may arise as they are running their own businesses! The time/commitment required to develop the new skills that are needed to succeed is seen as a con by many. I disagree. Managers either leave the program with a great new set of skills or with confirmation that running their own business is not for them - time well spent either way!

Encourage managers to seek support from all veterans and senior managers. It seems many managers become frustrated if they do not mesh with their "assigned" senior manager. Otherwise great work!

Lots of work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Student Works Painting

Pros

Pushes you hard
    Learn to multi-task

Cons

Royalty is too high
    Very stressful at times

Less royalty

It was a great learning experience.

I worked at Student Works Painting

Pros

Very solid sales training, mentors, chance to grow and be an entrepreneur, great conferences, lots of sharing of ideas among other managers

Cons

It is a great deal of work and requires you to work all weekends during school and many evenings as well. The royalties are also very high and are off the top of your sale, not from your profit.

Teach the managers how to paint. There is no system to ensure the manager can actually quality control rheir painters' work.

Management makes all the difference

I worked at Student Works Painting

Pros

- Learn a new skill
    - Get to travel
    - Get to meet new people
    - Casual wear
    - Work outdoors
    - Clients usually very friendly and understanding
    - Sense of accomplishment

Cons

- Unclear how employees would be payed. Described as piecework, but piecework not explained
    - Supervisor was disorganized to the point that it affected my pay
    - For a time, was paid the same as someone working part-time when I was working full-time
    - Paint kit often not at job site
    - Usually left alone in unfamiliar neighbourhoods which would be dangerous if I fell off a ladder or roof
    - Spent a lot on bus tickets
    - Very weather dependent

Main problem was the supervisor was still a kid themself, had no experience and took on more than they could handle.

- Compensate workers for travel (Ex: bus tickets)
    - Hire responsible and dependable supervisors, perhaps train supervisors

Student Works Painting Photos