Students In Free Enterprise

Alvin Rohrs

Great organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Students In Free Enterprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enactus (formerly SIFE) is a non profit that does meaningful work around the world.
    Opportunities to meet incredible people and see cool places.
    Inspirational stories are bountiful.

Cons

Difficult place to climb the corporate ladder quickly

Great first job

Former Employee - Program Manager in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Springfield, MO

I worked at Students In Free Enterprise full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel all over the US and to international locations, great mission, great people, glad to have a job during tough economic times, good for young singles

Cons

Non-profit pay lower than private sector, career advancement difficult, constant travel makes it hard if you have a family, headquarters based in Springfield MO is not a great location to fly from, often had to drive to Kansas City to fly out because airfares were so prohibitive from Springfield

Work on staff retention and a clearer career path for advancement

i am unemployed looking for a job

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Students In Free Enterprise full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great in the life of my own because i made it that was that is what it is all about you know what i'm saying

Cons

bad in the the life of your own truly living it up to the fullest everyday i possibly can you know what is going on in life

keep it up

Good people, good mission, but has some challenges ahead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Students In Free Enterprise

Pros

First, to understand some of the challenges of being employed at SIFE, you must understand that SIFE is a non-profit organization that is funded through corporate donations. This in itself causes budgetary guidelines to be off from what would generally considered acceptable for a department at other companies.

I have to say that during my tenure at SIFE I have been constantly impressed by how hard working, caring, and capable the people are around me. I truly believe that the mission of the organization is important and on the right path. Charismatic and passionate leadership at all levels of management help to drive the organization in a unified direction.

If you're interested in dealing with unique challenges, especially in creating innovative solutions on a shoestring budget, this could definitely be the place for you. I've found it educational in my own way to work at SIFE. Moving from the privately and publicly held enterprise to the non-profit sphere can be shocking and challenging, but it is well worth it to see the impact you make or you facilitate in making happen.

While the pay rate is below local market standards, the benefits package is second to none. Management has a great respect for work/life balance and they are very easy-going about taking time off and working out making that time up so that an hour here or there doesn't eat into your paid time. First rate medical and dental coverage, and good opportunities for retirement investing.

Cons

I don't think this is unique to SIFE, it's definitely a challenge at all non-profits, but the largest downside to being employed at SIFE is that your pay rate is not within the band usually considered appropriate for your job duties, responsibilities, and skill level in the local market. Expect to make 50-70% of what is generally considered median pay for your job title and skill.

Additionally, while I feel that senior management is extremely passionate about what they do, and they have a clear and positive vision for the future, there is an inordinate amount of internal politics for an organization of this size. At times, when trying to make anything from minor to major changes, it would be near impossible to move forward due to internal politics and bureaucracy. I think much if this has to do with a conscious effort on the part of management to be judicious in their spending, but in many ways it can make the job more stressful and unsatisfying than necessary.

Overall I think SIFE is a good organization with a good mission, and that they are successful and will continue to be successful, but they definitely have some challenges ahead. Most of the challenges I feel they've experienced have come down to funding and mismanagement of people resources. We've got a very high turn-over rate in some job areas compared to other organizations of our size in the local market.

Consider delaying organizational growth or transitioning some funds away from event funding to bring up pay levels within the organization to more closely match the surrounding market and patch up the ailing infrastructure.

Excellent organisation for students to practice business practice.

I worked at Students In Free Enterprise

Pros

teamwork, practical, great, good, perfect

Cons

few members but very effective indeed

Understand how a market based economic system operates.

Current Employee - Student Marketing Enterprise in Pagadian (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Student Marketing Enterprise in Pagadian (Philippines)

I have been working at Students In Free Enterprise part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Participating students form teams on their university campuses and apply business concepts to develop outreach projects that improve the quality of life and standard of living for people in need.

Cons

Acquire the education and skills training needed to succeed in a dynamic, competitive global economy.

Eventually, these university students were judged competitively on the outcomes of their efforts. The principle remains the same today but the scope has been broadened to encompass both teaching and learning through practical application of knowledge and skills gained at university, in the wider community by means of student-designed outreach projects.

SIFE is a Global Not For Profit Student Organization present in more than 40 countries worldwide.

I have been working at Students In Free Enterprise

Pros

SIFE is a great training ground for students who can be the leaders of tomorrow.

Cons

Nothing is wrong or negative about this organization as it helps a lot of people from various walks of life.

Keep up the good work.

i owe alot to SIFE "Cairo University" it's such a great experience i learned a lot of impressive things

Current Employee - Multimedia & IT Member in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Multimedia & IT Member in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Students In Free Enterprise full-time (more than an year)

Pros

learn a lot of useful things, have a good friends & finally help in community development

Cons

just time management, it needs to be more organised

keep going and keep the great work up

the way to do a lot of things

I have been working at Students In Free Enterprise

Pros

company contacts, experience, job opportunities, new friends around the world

Cons

investition of a lot of free time

Impecable

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Students In Free Enterprise

Pros

Good team, pleasant work atmosphere, engaging projects. Has connections with several start-ups and allows you to participate in consulting, project managing or any other type of activity.

Cons

Salary is a bit on the low side, however it compensates by the sheer number of project you can take on.

Offer more opportunities for new recruits to affirm themselves, and put new ideas on the table, to insure business growth.