Studio Movie Grill

www.studiomoviegrill.com

Studio Movie Grill Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 14, 2014
Studio Movie Grill – Houston – “Studio Movie Grill Copperfield”

Brian Schultz

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome place to work

Server (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFun, fast-paced work environment and movies are free. I loved working here. The people I worked with were awesome and management was flexible with scheduling.

ConsCan get stressful at times during big movie releases. Sometimes management played favorites. The hours there can be very long.

Server

Server (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAmazing co workers , 50% Discount on food , fast pace

Cons12 hour shift with no break , going home at 3 am if you're closing , management was the worst.
    Even though i was part time i got about probably 50 hours a week. If you didnt show then you would get yelled at. Even if you had ( high school or college) classes. It consumes your life and your co workers eventually become the only people you talk to.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain more and have more compassion.

Good starting job, not worth staying for long

Server (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros- Free movies (excludes premiere days, special showing days, and generally friday, saturday, and sunday...)
    - Decent food for half price (50% employee discount)
    - From my experience, very inviting and friendly coworkers (the biggest pro)
    - Free drinks, I guess
    - On a good weekend (assuming a good movie is out, and good customers come to see it), you can make a decent $200 average. In the summer, you make about $100 more.
    - It's an easy way to gain server experience for better jobs down the road, assuming you can deal with the cons listed below.

Cons- On busy days, certain members of management tend to become unprofessional in their demeanor towards their employees (namely projecting their anger at us from something that wasn't our fault)
    - If you order food when you're watching a movie, you'll get the 50% discount, sure. But there's a gratuity automatically forced onto the bill (as if they didn't take enough of our money already), so it's not really 50%.
    - From my experience, you will deal with some of the rudest, most demanding, and strange-request-making customers God has ever made. Be surprised if you get tipped by these people, and if you do, expect it to be $0.99 or less. I'd say just smile, serve them, and get the manager to deal with them if they're really getting under your skin. There are literally hundreds of other customers you can choose to deal with instead.
    - Some of the new employees tend to be kids in high school, so expect a level of immaturity to come with that. Namely, poor work ethic and saying inappropriate things within earshot of the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the other reviews, they should give you an idea.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great entry level job. Flexible Hours for any kind of Student.

Runner (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFree Pre-screening of movies. Flexible Hours. Fun working Environment. Fast paced, so you will almost never get bored.

ConsLow wages and Dirty facilities. If you're looking for something with a solid or consistent work schedule then this job is probably not for you.

If this company was any greedier, they'd be on the same level as the tobacco industry.

Food Runner, Server (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDepending on the store location, the money can be decent (as it is a serving job). Of the two locations in Houston currently (Town and Country and Copperfield), the people that work at T&C seem to fare very well off of tips from the wealthier area.
    Like all service industry jobs, it's a good way to humble a person and teach them the ethics of hard work, and the value of tipping (when you're on the receiving end).
    You can come in and see movies for free, except on busy weekends, holidays, and nights of free screenings.

ConsMoney is distributed amongst teams, so the hardest working person earns the same amount as the weakest link.
    If shifts/movie rounds are not managed correctly, you may be working close to 10 hours, but end up making less than 100 dollars.
    Depending on the genre of movie, it is possible to end a shift and owe the company money because of lack of tips.
    Management (especially at Copperfield location) tend to exploit the best employers because it is a system where everyone will get the same amount of money.
    Since SMG has started to do midnight showings, you can expect to be there until 3 in the morning cleaning up after a showing.
    Because the age to be a sever is 18, many of the runners are under 18 and waiting to be a server. This can create a strong immature atmosphere and work environment.
    Also, there runs a risk of a runner not caring so much about the quality and efficiency of work because they get paid a much higher hourly wage than a server, and will always have a tip out based upon gross sales, where as a server will get punished by the customer in a low tip if the food comes out incorrectly or late.
    The food discount for employers is only 32%. It is half off, but an added gratuity is included in the bill.
    An employee is not allowed to order any alcohol if they visit the restaurant, even out of uniform.
    There are also some stipulations about employees ordering certain items on the menu such as the sampler deals.
    Late night servers and runners tend to not clean as efficiently as they should, so there are a lot of sticky, mushy, and rotten pieces of carpet all around the restaurant.
    Managers tend to play favoritisms or make promises for promotions, however it has been seen numerous times that good employees are held back from promotions because they are too good of a runner or server to lose.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop replacing management when a manager or store isn't doing well. It temporarily fixes the issue by putting a new face out there, but old issues are bound to come up. Work with your managers/staff/employees to improve the store. Stop overusing your employees, know who is good and bad, know who is weak and strong so you know who is a real leader and capable of handing a large theatre.

It was okay as a high school student seeking a part-time job.

Busser (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDepending on the time of day and release of blockbuster films, the high-pace environment will challenge employees to adapt their work behavior to fulfill their duties.

ConsSome of the employees and managers just don't care about executing good quality service so there will be challenges in communicating effectively with peers who will want to dump their job on you if you seem like a good worker who actually gets their job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all the employees with fairness. Playing favorites is fine, but giving financial benefits and un-based bonuses to those people is not cool.

A lot of work..little pay

Runner (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros-Free movies and half off meals
    -Can pretty much work as many as hours as you want while working part-time (but 50 hrs is limit)
    -Relatively easy job
    -Great job for someone in high school, after that, you will see why it is not worth it to work as a Runner.

Cons-The customers can be extremely rude. They do not understand that on the weekends, there are HUNDREDS of people seeing the 7:00 movie of EVERY movie playing at SMG. This means the kitchen is EXTREMELY busy and things can go wrong. And there is not much we can do about it except try to fix it, which means you will have to be patient and wait. Yelling at me will not help the situation.
    -Cleaning the theaters after the movie gets out is gross and not fun. People are truly disgusting.
    -You get paid $6.50 as a runner, plus tips from the tip share..Tips can be great but usually are less than $10. So, really, you do not get paid a lot but you do a lot of work when it's busy.
    -The drink station is horrible and inefficient.
    -Working during big movie premiers is extremely stressful.
    -Unfair levels of employment. Servers pretty much do nothing, yet make a lot of money. They take your order and that's it. They don't even have to clean the theaters. Servers get treated like royalty by the management, basically. Runners do all the grunt work and get paid little for it.
    -Employees who are the "Key" aka the Mircro-managers are extremely unnecessary. STOP telling the Runners what to do things every 5 seconds. We know what needs to be done and don't ask 5 minutes later if we've done the task. You are useless.
    -Hours can be awful. You do not know when you will get off work and it is always a big mystery. Management lets you leave when they want you to leave.

Advice to Senior Management-Fix the drink station, it is absolute chaos
    -Pay runners higher, $6.50 plus tips is barely averages minimum wage sometimes
    -Stop treating the servers like royalty because the runners do all the work.
    -Get rid of the "Key" position. No one wants to be mirco-managed for six hours straight.
    -Stop holding runners because you think it "might be busy" later on. Let us leave and get us a set time as to when our shift will end. We DO have lives and want to make plans after work sometimes.

Great first timer job!

Box Office/Hostess (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsU get half off food and free movie screenings! Great people to work with (if you are 16-21) and management are really laid back but get the job done.

Conswell, with any movie theater, you close late like at 1pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you keep a good relationship with the managers and show your workmanship, they notice and will promote. at least that's what happened when I worked there.

Serving in a Movie Theater = Trouble

Server (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHigh Volume customers so as you rely on tips, the more people the better obviously and on any given night you can serve upwards of 500 people, and on a busy friday/saturday night you can server upwards of 1000 people. Average is around $60 in tips on a slow night, and $80-100 on a good night.

ConsManagement arent professional at all and if they dont like you then they will knowingly give you the shifts that wont make you much money, and they will only give you a couple shifts a week forcing you to quit in order to actually make money elsewhere. basic server job really at the end of the day, and having to worry about 150+ people at one time and closing out all their checks without mistakes is very tough. Imagine serving food and taking orders in a really dark movie theater. lots of tripping over feet, bumping into people, and the most common one is people being given the wrong item.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with more respect and be more managerial instead of just rude and bossy. If someone does something wrong, help them dont make fun of them because that doesnt change the fact they dont know how to do it.

Worked for Studio Movie Grill? Contribute to the Community!