Studio One

Add Photos

Andrew Susman

Good Place to Get Experience

Partner Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsStudio One has great clients so it makes it a great place to get good experience. There were a few things when I was there that I felt were annoying but at my new job has made me stand out from my peers.

The people at Studio One are hard workers and mostly good people.

ConsThere was a big transition in staff while I was there. There's a handful of people who have been there for a while and a lot of people early in their career.

There's a lot of talk about process and accountability but not a lot of action about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the time management ritual and strict process for every meeting. There shouldn't be so many forms to manage.

Don't Do It.

Pros-The NoHo Area...
    - Cool people

Cons- CEO/President/Whatever is clueless and awkward. Makes you feel uncomfortable and he has a tendency to be very inappropriate with his word choice. He even made clients uncomfortable in meetings.
    - No processes or structure to anything. You can literally spend full days trying to figure out what to do next.
    - Minimal training
    - Ineffective solutions/products...Clients don't know SON actually pays for the "KPI's" during "campaigns"
    - The whole office is made up of interns and employees with minimal experience in their role...I saw an intern become a "Marketing Manager" in about 6 months...what?!
    - They don't pay their free lancers on time.
    - Many important decisions are made by 3rd parties aka Advisors....CEO relies too much on "advisers" to call shots...no direction
    - Really feels like company is going nowhere and hasn't been profitable in a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind someone else to do your job.

Short-lived and painful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people. Dedicated. Hard-working. Passionate.

ConsHard to take full ownership of projects. Bizarre and antiquated processes. Trust issues among senior management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not apply here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood location. Editorial department is appreciated.

ConsConstantly worked like a dog. Upper management does not appreciate contributions from employees. Entire office is now underpaid interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some respect for your employees.

Studio One is the perfect place to be if you want to grow in your field alongside its leaders

Editor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAt SON, you get:
    - An open, collaborative environment full of creative challenges
    - A democracy of innovation (company even has an Innovation Board, where anyone can present and discuss big new ideas you want to test but need $ for)
    - An endless amount of opportunities to grow and create
    - Smart, motivated co-workers & leadership with a proven track record in the field
    - A chance to launch and run websites sponsored by big brands (e.g., P&G brands, Nestle, etc.)
    - Personal responsibility and freedom in every project
    - Lots and lots of laughs every day
    - Good pay & benefits, beautiful sun-filled office in the heart of SoHo & great perks (summer Fridays, flexible hours, unlimited personal days)

Cons- If you're passionate about this field and your job, you can easily find yourself staying at work late because there's an endless amount of great work to be done here
    - Fast-paced environment is exciting and energizing but can get tiring at times
    - Meetings can take over a big chunk of your day, so you have to learn to say no without feeling bad

Advice to Senior ManagementHmm, this is difficult. There's not much I can say here that I wouldn't say in person to management, since they're pretty receptive to feedback as long as you can be diplomatic about it and not mean (obviously). Maybe I would just emphasize the sentiment that seems to reverberate in many New York offices: Fewer meetings, please!

Lack of respect and low pay for freelance in-office employees

In-office Freelancer (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Even though you're freelance, you are paid as a part-time hourly employee--you are not 1099'd
    -Required to work 3 days, but there is flexibility if you need to change days
    -Working in online media

Cons-No option for job to turn into a full-time job
    -Low pay
    -No creativity in position
    -Outdated web software that makes job duties more difficult and time-consuming to complete
    -Not a friendly environment for freelancers, almost invisible in workplace
    -Asked to complete full-time workload on a part-time schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in better software and back-end programs for employees to complete tasks easier and more efficiently. Offer freelancers better pay and more respect in office and you will have happier freelancers. It's a revolving door of freelancers because of the low pay, uncomfortable work environment, and no option for full-time employment.

Studio One Networks is a great company to gain relevant experience in the digital space.

ProsI like working for a company that's quickly growing and that promotes from within. I enjoy working with top caliber clients to gain experience in the industry. The company consists of fun people around my age who I relate to and offers good benefits and paid time off - including Summer Fridays.

ConsI think that in general the company could improve by having better communication between departments. However, communication within my own department and with my manager is generally good.

Worked for Studio One? Contribute to the Community!