StumbleUpon

Add Photos

Mark Bartels

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people are passionate about the product. Catered breakfast and lunch, snacks and drinks provided. There is generally a good sense of camaraderie.

ConsUpper management is still figuring out a good balance of necessary meetings and work.

Back on track again

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery good compenstation and GREAT benefits. Realistic expectations from management and good work/life balance. Free, catered lunches. CEO is great and the people are fantastic! Much effort is being put into making strong hires and advancing a culture that will attract top talent.

ConsCompany is just starting to get out from under some painful employment practices that have hampered it in the past. Some of the work is not terribly exciting and there is some older technology that plagues the company. Past employees did not do proper knowledge transfer upon leaving and so some knowledge has been lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to embrace newer technologies and be more willing to invest in a better code base.

Fun place to work, but company was hurting and it showed

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun environment, great people, work was really interesting, benefits were good, sad but a good thing that the CEO/founder left and was replaced with CFO

ConsCompany has been around a while yet was still paying "startup salaries," executive team lacked cohesion and a sense of mission

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on one thing that users really want and do that really really well

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Next Generation StumbleUpon

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat small company feel, with no walls between teams and leadership
    Benefits (food, health care, time off, etc) are great!
    Tech challenges are around and tech debt is high, but that is being changed

Consturnover has been high, but needed due to old defensive mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course, big bets = beg reward, tech debt can kill a company that needs to move fast.

Some things great, others not so great

Pros* One of the nicest offices you are going to work in
    * Catered breakfast and lunch
    * Fun product, interesting work

Cons* Declining quality
    * Exodus of good engineers
    * Management out of ideas
    * A lot of agile nonsense

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get someone who has product sense. Without that, well, you get the point...

Big Challenges. Big Opportunities to do Great Things.

ProsStumbleUpon has great people. Individuals you want to be in trenches with. There's a underlying passion to the company that's contagious when you tap into it.

And while not a new idea, StumbleUpon is incredibly unique in market and still captures hearts and minds of consumers every day. The idea of discovery, not knowing exactly what you want but wanting something cool, is super powerful.

ConsRealizing that potential and executing with the velocity I know we can deliver.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold everyone to the highest of standards and expect greatness. Set deadlines/deliverables that everyone in the business owns.

A once great company ruined by incompetent management

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery good compensation and perks, free breakfast/lunch, transit reimbursement, uber credit, etc.

ConsMost of the most experienced and smartest people have departed or were forced out, most of the remaining engineers have little experience, management has no vision, engineering has become increasingly buzzword-driven, with no compelling reasons for many decisions, constructive criticism is often taken as a personal attack by certain people in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't decide to rewrite the whole stack and rely on tech that is unproven in production when your resources are so severely constrained. Develop iteratively, not with projects that take months/over a year to get into the phase where they can actually be used for significant production traffic. Realize the value and importance of having actually senior engineers (with >10 years experience) that have seen and know how to deal with issues in your problem space.

New culture and new team for a new company

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun turnaround job with little risk
    Strong business model
    Growing user base
    Best benefits in town
    New culture
    New team
    Data-driven product decisions

Most of these negative reviews are from people who caused SU to stumble in the first place (pun intended). I wouldn't take their review as serious as they either were let go or quit over the new modern architecture or lean culture

ConsTechnical debt
    Cultural baggage
    Old architecture (being worked on)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing the new culture and hire people who believe in the vision.

Stumbling a bit

Recruiter (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat location and good colleagues.

ConsGood people leaving and management micro managing

Advice to Senior ManagementNot appropriate

Lots of interesting problems to work on and the flexibility to work on the ones you want

ProsGreat coworkers, good benefits and pay. The company, partly because it's been around so long, actually does have a lot of users and a good grip in the consumer internet space.

ConsDecisions are often driven by emotion which leads to bad outcomes. Tough to move fast on the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be persuaded by charlatans. The loudest mouth generally gets the attention and that is a poor practice.

Worked for StumbleUpon? Contribute to the Community!