Sturm, Ruger & Co

Updated October 15, 2014
3.3

Sturm, Ruger & Co CEO and Director Michael O. Fifer
Michael O. Fifer

Wonderful company to work for

Former Intern - Manufacturing Intern in Newport, NH
    Former Intern - Manufacturing Intern in Newport, NH

I worked at Sturm, Ruger & Co as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

If you are at all interested in firearms this is the company for you. you get the scoop on new products and get to get your hands on prototypes

Cons

didnt seem like there was much room for upward mobility, lots of positions seemed like you would be stuck there for a while

Exposure to hazards and decreasing pay scale

I worked at Sturm, Ruger & Co

Pros

A bonus every three months and some of the people

Cons

I worked in a department that caused me to breath metal dust all day and masks a only optional, when they should be mandatory. I also worked in a department that exposed me to radioactive sand "NORM" we would have to bail the radioactive sand out of a huge vat, sift and bail it back in to the vat. Note they don't care about the toll this will take on your back because it's more costly to buy the necessary equipment for this. The radioactive sand states on the warning not to store in large quantities. It is stored in large quantities on pallets and the large vat you bail it out of while standing in the sand in the vat (vat size 4'x5'). They don't give you a radiation exposure badge or any pep expect for the optional mask. This place does not care about its employees. Pay scale: you start at an average of $15 an hour with travel pay then the temp company takes it away without notification so your lowered to $12.50 an hour then when you get hired on they hire you at $12 WTF right. This is used as a bait and switch style recruiting tactic making you trust the company less.

Care more about employees by making PPE mandatory. Implement an increasing pay scale that is attractive to new recruits and current employees making them want to stay. Your turnover rate is high because of all these things. Let Temps bid on internal job postings.

Outstanding Company with Outstanding Products

I have been working at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management listens to employees and gives them the tools required to fulfill the work required.
    Management shares the profit with everyone through out the organization.

Cons

There is nothing that comes to mind that I would label as a con.

Keep up the good work.