Styles for Less
stylesforless.com 150 to 499 Employees

Styles for Less Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014
Styles for Less – Foothill Ranch – “Entrance to the Styles for less located in…”

Douglas Pereira

Great to get management experience and then get out and find something better

Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros•they are really big on hiring young
    •they try to promote from within first before outsourcing
    •opportunity for advancement is huge. I know many girls that started as sales and are now managers within a yr or yr and Half time
    •employee discount
    •shipment is for the most part is already processed u just have to put it out
    •price of clothing with discount you can actually afford to shop where you work

Cons•daily sales goals are sometimes unrealistic
    •the high turnover rate our store or others are constantly short staffed making taking a day off impossible. I had to miss my sister's graduation etc bcuz of this.
    •RATE OF PAY the pay is so unbelievably low for managers. I know people that have went to other company's that pay anywhere from 3 to 5 dollars more an hour. Doesn't sound like much but do the math and that's any where from an extra $600 to $1000 more a month. As a full-time ASM I get paid 50 cents more an hour than our sales associates since the min wage increase in California. To say your managers are only worth 50 cents more than a sales associate is an insult.
    •Scheduling. The company is cheap when it comes to hours and we can only schedule one person to open (manager) so often you are in the store by yourself for hours which can be stressful when it gets busy and the phone is ringing, someone needs a fitting room unlocked, someone needs a shirt down from up high, and you have a line. There's only so much you can do by yourself. People get frustrated and leave which ruins your conversion and sales. Also your expected to clean the entire store in the morning and do all the morning paperwork alone. I have never in my 7 years of retail worked at a place where you don't open with another sales associate.
    Overall they expect way too much for so little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am part of management and trust me if we could schedule more people in a day or give more hours to sales we would. And it would help us. Sales girls are only supposed to have per company not management 4-13 hours. So my advice to corporate is create a schedule base that allows for more hours throughout the day to maximize sales. Also it is not safe to have managers open stores by themselves this puts them at risk for robberies which has happened in this company. Also please raise your rate of pay. There are people in fast food that get paid more to cashier than your managers do to manage a store. This would also help with the high turnover this company has.

SFL

Full Time Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Lancaster, CA

ProsGreat amazing company, gives you the opportunity to move up in the company.

ConsThey pay is horrible, you get paid way less than any other company. They dont give enough hours for the store to get stuff done.

Advice to Senior Managementpay employees more they work hard to get paid one dollar above minimum wage.

Great career opportunity for fashion sales associates and store management

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Grapevine, TX

ProsGreat company to work for in the Junior Fashion industry. Lots of opportunity for advancement from sales associates to part time assistant managers to full time assistants and managers. Very competitive place to show your selling, operational and visual skills. Motivating team members that work as a team to help drive sales and market the business for future growth. Styles For Less is one of the few retailers continually opening stores nationwide.

ConsIts retail so you need to consider working holidays, weekends, and closing 2-3 nights a week. Pay is average for retail but Styles For Less promotes a work-life balance, medical, dental and many bonus opportunities. They even reward you for sales over $300.00 and $500.00. Management has a minimum/maximum daily/weekly hour work week and full time management should not work over 40 hours in a work week. No overtime rule. Part time assistant managers work Sundays but short shifts. The company is very goal oriented so you need to be a strong seller and confident in your customer service but the benefits of reaching your goals are rewarding.

Advice to Senior Managementhiring process is long and candidates move on to other job offers. If you are very interested in working for Styles For Less you must be patient and once hired it is a fun and rewarding place to work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Start your Career here, to get the experience on your resume to go somewhere else! =D

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Pros25% off Discount
    40% off Employee Appreciation weekend.
    Fun, Easy, Learning experience
    The whole district is a team.
    Advancement Opportunities
    Smelling Good all the time =)

ConsAdvancement available because of the high turnover rate.
    Vips should not count for existing customers.
    Conversion Goals at the Malls are unrealistic
    and the goals are unrealistic. Goals set too high so company doesn't have to pay out bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm really surprise this company still has employees still after 21 some years after seeing how much they don't care about their staff at all.

Here is a metaphor: If your spouse treats you like crap and doesn't care about you most likely they will up and leave. If you treat them well most likely they do whatever you want and more.

The turnover rate is seriously embarrassing...loyalty is a big deal. It'll make your company double in profits. Consider your staff and not just your own pockets.

sales associtate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Cypress, CA

Prosgood high school part time job for cute clothes
    good discounts for employees
    cheap clothes

Consminim wage
    Grumpy Women
    boring
    under a microscope

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be cheap, give employees working over a year a raise every year.

waste of time

Prosdiscounts were cool. every so often 40%

Conseverything else. envirmonent is not positive.

Advice to Senior Managementstop firing management every 6 months

Great Opportunities

Management (Current Employee)

ProsGreat environment with opportunity for growth in stores and can move up to corporate. Hard work pays off here. Discount on clothes that are already affordable.

ConsRetail hours meaning nights and weekends but the hours are better than most retail stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand to more states.

Looks Great on resume

Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

Prosgreat discount on clothes, a chance to learn how to do book keeping the old fashioned Way , Challenge your self and abilitys to THE FULLEST Great part time job if your in school. Get promoted fast( because people quit so much)

ConsGet one break a day because the store was never staffed working open to close more then 4 days a week, lack of Training, when a store is understaffed do to the over turn the whole district is affected, If you are honestly sick There is NO cover and the store suffers along with Being asked to not call out EVER FOR ANY REASON, Not getting the days you request off even thoe you emailed / filled out paperwork 3 weeks ahead of time, co-worker and district management gossiping about you and each other,, The List go's on!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake shure your store is staffed before you open it, Not get an attitude with your employees when something wasn't done people Don't Have To Work For You so treat them with appreciation and respect And HELP the situation When Asked AND Listen TO the PROBLEMS the management is Having and work on finding Solutions, Giving negative feed back, with Minimal Support is no way going to give you the results your looking for, Also you have No concept of what people can actually get done task wise depending on the work day ,need more realistic times for tasks to be done in order to keep the store in balance, Also conversation is a horrible idea along with the fragrance I lost more potential sales due to your pushy / bubbley Sell With Style protocol then when I just did normal customer service and non abrasive suggestion. Your lucky I Didn't report you to the BBB for the working conditions I was exposed to but I won't get into that.

Great experience!

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIts a great company to work for especially if you want to be promoted. They promote within before hiring a new employee! If you work hard, it pays off! I started as a sales associate and within a year and a half I was a store manager.

ConsPay isn't that great, never get weekends off, having to sell the discount card and perfume in order to keep your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't agree with having to sell discount cards, or you lose your job. What happens when you see 100 customers in a day that already has one? I understand employees need to try and sell them, but for a hard working employee to lose their job over this makes no sense to me.

easy

Part Time Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosgood company to move up.

Conscompany does not pay well.

Worked for Styles for Less? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Styles for Less reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Styles for Less CEO Douglas Pereira. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Styles for Less employees.