Styles for Less

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.4

Douglas Pereira

My experience here was not useful nor professional but it was probably because of management at the time.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Styles for Less part-time for less than a year

Pros

My hours here were very flexible and the store itself had very appealing and good clothing options. Customers can get 10% off with a VIP card for $5. Being a sales associate was fairly easy with ringing up customer's clothes, putting them away, and sweeping/dusting areas. Most stores aren't open passed 9pm so you still have the night off.

Cons

The benefits are minimal here as an employee especially for hourly staff. The computer systems can def. use an update. It can take awhile on the computer when the company has promotions as you need to do/find where the correct promotions are on the computer as opposed to scanning something and the discount is taken off.

Don't work here! Waste of your life!

I have been working at Styles for Less

Pros

25% discount
    Management experience
    Work on social skills

Cons

worked at SFL for 2yrs. Started as an employee ended as an asst.mngr. It took one year to finally get promoted and get a $1 raise! Woopeee! So not worth it! I only wanted the promotion to build up my resume, but to get just a $1 after being with the company for a year and having so much more responsibility, not worth $1.The sales assoc get $7.25 part time asst mngr gets $8.50
    Full time asst.mngr gets $9.50 & SM got $11.50 They only promote within because people quit from left and right that they have to get someone to fill in that position otherwise they'll be short. So they train an associate for about a week.
    Since I've been working there, I've had 3 store managers and 3 DM &2 regionals. The first SM they used her to fire this pregnant asst.mngr that they didn't like.Then they kept moving her to different stores&she finally walked out & quit!! The second SM was an asst.mngr that they quickly moved up to fill in that position. She would cry almost everyday at work because she couldn't handle the stress. Everyday she would get a chair and sit in front of the registers on her phone watching Netflix with her headphones not paying attention to the customers.If you were ever sick she would get really mad at you and leave you all these voicemails or ignore you. She later put in her 1 month regulation saying she did not feel Christian working for this company, but walked out before it was a month. The third manager was trained for one week. Everyday she reeked like cigarettes & would smoke while "taking the trash out"which the smell would fill up the store&customers would complain. She always brought up her personal life &would bring a lot of drama to the store.Everyday She would have an excuse to leave early or an excuse to go in late.
    DONT EVEN THINK about calling in sick!! She threatened that if I didn't come in she wouldn't promise me a job. So don't ever throw up, or get the flu!!!
    As for the higher management everytime they would visit everyone was at a panic because they always had something negative to say and were very fake, employees were constantly scared of losing their job.The DM had a list of people she had to terminate; apparently she was on that list herself&had no idea, they fired her with no notice!! They already had another DM to fill in her place right away, who had outrageous expectations. Made us call her every hour if we were under our goal, or had a meal violation. You must always take a break which means you must always have 2 mngmt working because you can't leave Sales assoc. Alone. So if you're religious and go to church you can't because only store mangers get Sundays off, asst managers work every Sunday!! You must sell fragrances and VIP cards at 7% otherwise you'll get written up & 3 strikes you're out. They want us to be very fake &clingy to our customers at all times you must SELL WITH STYLE!!!
    Last but not least They DO NOT HIRE FAT PEOPLE OR GAYS!! They turned down two gay guys for no reason,who had experience In retail.& told me that we can't hire people if they can't fit in our clothes!! Plus size women would apply at our store with style and experience but we're automatically not applicable because they were fat.

Don't bring your personal life to work
    Understand employees will get sick
    Make schedules on time

Horrible

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Styles for Less full-time for less than a year

Pros

The employee discount was pretty decent

Cons

The district manager was a bit of a nazi.
    I received zero training and then when things fell behind it all fell on me the Assistant Manager not the store manager.
    No cameras so everything is he said she said
    The store manager ( who has since been fired) was stealing and trying to blame it on everyone else

Install cameras

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good first job to gain some experience but not a good long term career option.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Styles for Less part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount, talking to people all day, getting to wear cute clothes to work(pretty much whatever you want), great starter job, you can learn a lot about corporate retail like ADS, conversions, visuals(if you're management)

Cons

Not enough hours

They will not pay you much at all, in fact they raised my pay up because I fell below the baseline for minimum wage. And by pay raise, I mean .15 cents. Yeah, they really don't care about they're employees that much.

If you're management, make sure you're getting paid enough to be drowned in paperwork every morning and night. On top of that they want you to "sell with style" which is a great concept but not when you're trying to open the store, do too much paperwork, and ring people up.

Only one person opens in most stores. How dangerous is that? In our case, we leave before opening to go to the bank, by ourselves, with the deposit bag on us. People watch us walk in and out and lock the store and know were alone. Plus after that we are alone for a few hours in the store working. Great time for a robbery, which has happened at styles before.

They write you up if you fall below the 7% minimum for selling their VIP card. Which it's a great deal, but only if you shop at styles often. No employer should ever write employees up for this. Especially since a lot of our business already has one and a majority of our customer just buy clearance items or 1-2 things and then won't be back.

All goals here(daily sales plan, ADS, conversion) are really unrealistic so just get ready for some disappointment and failure. Often.

Corporate CAN and WILL be up your butt 24/7. But when you need to reach them it's almost impossible. Cool. Great communication.

Be more fair to your employees. No wonder your turnover is so high, because you don't pay enough, schedule enough hours, or barely care. From the inside of this company it seems like you're going broke by the way you guys cut back on things like hours and only paying minimum wage to your managers. Also lower the bar for VIPs or just not write up for that at all. It really takes the fun out of retail and puts us to the point where we are pretty much begging customers to get it. Not everyone wants emails and texts from you so don't be so surprised when our customer capture is low. Also, craze doesn't smell good at all.

Great to get management experience and then get out and find something better

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Styles for Less full-time for less than a year

Pros

•they are really big on hiring young
    •they try to promote from within first before outsourcing
    •opportunity for advancement is huge. I know many girls that started as sales and are now managers within a yr or yr and Half time
    •employee discount
    •shipment is for the most part is already processed u just have to put it out
    •price of clothing with discount you can actually afford to shop where you work

Cons

•daily sales goals are sometimes unrealistic
    •the high turnover rate our store or others are constantly short staffed making taking a day off impossible. I had to miss my sister's graduation etc bcuz of this.
    •RATE OF PAY the pay is so unbelievably low for managers. I know people that have went to other company's that pay anywhere from 3 to 5 dollars more an hour. Doesn't sound like much but do the math and that's any where from an extra $600 to $1000 more a month. As a full-time ASM I get paid 50 cents more an hour than our sales associates since the min wage increase in California. To say your managers are only worth 50 cents more than a sales associate is an insult.
    •Scheduling. The company is cheap when it comes to hours and we can only schedule one person to open (manager) so often you are in the store by yourself for hours which can be stressful when it gets busy and the phone is ringing, someone needs a fitting room unlocked, someone needs a shirt down from up high, and you have a line. There's only so much you can do by yourself. People get frustrated and leave which ruins your conversion and sales. Also your expected to clean the entire store in the morning and do all the morning paperwork alone. I have never in my 7 years of retail worked at a place where you don't open with another sales associate.
    Overall they expect way too much for so little pay.

I am part of management and trust me if we could schedule more people in a day or give more hours to sales we would. And it would help us. Sales girls are only supposed to have per company not management 4-13 hours. So my advice to corporate is create a schedule base that allows for more hours throughout the day to maximize sales. Also it is not safe to have managers open stores by themselves this puts them at risk for robberies which has happened in this company. Also please raise your rate of pay. There are people in fast food that get paid more to cashier than your managers do to manage a store. This would also help with the high turnover this company has.

SFL

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Store Manager  in  Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Store Manager in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at Styles for Less full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great amazing company, gives you the opportunity to move up in the company.

Cons

They pay is horrible, you get paid way less than any other company. They dont give enough hours for the store to get stuff done.

pay employees more they work hard to get paid one dollar above minimum wage.

Great career opportunity for fashion sales associates and store management

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Styles for Less full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company to work for in the Junior Fashion industry. Lots of opportunity for advancement from sales associates to part time assistant managers to full time assistants and managers. Very competitive place to show your selling, operational and visual skills. Motivating team members that work as a team to help drive sales and market the business for future growth. Styles For Less is one of the few retailers continually opening stores nationwide.

Cons

Its retail so you need to consider working holidays, weekends, and closing 2-3 nights a week. Pay is average for retail but Styles For Less promotes a work-life balance, medical, dental and many bonus opportunities. They even reward you for sales over $300.00 and $500.00. Management has a minimum/maximum daily/weekly hour work week and full time management should not work over 40 hours in a work week. No overtime rule. Part time assistant managers work Sundays but short shifts. The company is very goal oriented so you need to be a strong seller and confident in your customer service but the benefits of reaching your goals are rewarding.

hiring process is long and candidates move on to other job offers. If you are very interested in working for Styles For Less you must be patient and once hired it is a fun and rewarding place to work.

Start your Career here, to get the experience on your resume to go somewhere else! =D

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Styles for Less full-time for less than a year

Pros

25% off Discount
    40% off Employee Appreciation weekend.
    Fun, Easy, Learning experience
    The whole district is a team.
    Advancement Opportunities
    Smelling Good all the time =)

Cons

Advancement available because of the high turnover rate.
    Vips should not count for existing customers.
    Conversion Goals at the Malls are unrealistic
    and the goals are unrealistic. Goals set too high so company doesn't have to pay out bonuses.

I'm really surprise this company still has employees still after 21 some years after seeing how much they don't care about their staff at all.

Here is a metaphor: If your spouse treats you like crap and doesn't care about you most likely they will up and leave. If you treat them well most likely they do whatever you want and more.

The turnover rate is seriously embarrassing...loyalty is a big deal. It'll make your company double in profits. Consider your staff and not just your own pockets.

sales associtate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Styles for Less part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good high school part time job for cute clothes
    good discounts for employees
    cheap clothes

Cons

minim wage
    Grumpy Women
    boring
    under a microscope

Don't be cheap, give employees working over a year a raise every year.

waste of time

I have been working at Styles for Less

Pros

discounts were cool. every so often 40%

Cons

everything else. envirmonent is not positive.

stop firing management every 6 months

Worked for Styles for Less? Contribute to the Community!