Stylesight
www.stylesight.com New York, NY 50 to 149 Employees

Stylesight Reviews

Updated Feb 22, 2014

Frank Bober

Not an empowering environment.

I have been working at Stylesight full-time for more than a year

ProsProduct, creative environment, central NY location

ConsHistory of management dysfunction; they "know everything" so your input goes nowhere (or you get zero recognition)

Advice to Senior ManagementPointless to attempt.

Despite an interesting product - NOT a healthy place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Stylesight full-time for more than a year

ProsSummer hours are great if you can take them
Interesting product and opportunity for growth

ConsDiva attitudes amongst many of the Senior team - who constantly put each other down in public
Micro management by CEO with consistently changing priorities making it impossible to move the business forward

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a strategy which everyone is unified on and then execute on it - the constant in fighting and undermining each other only hurts the company as a whole and nothing is ever fully implemented - and then yet another change comes along - stop the viscous cycle.

Talented people and comfortable company hours but flawed management

I worked at Stylesight full-time

ProsGenerally great personalities and talent across all departments. Beautiful office space.

ConsThere is a communication gap between management and employees and a culture of blame within certain departments which make collaboration and productivity suffer at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage ideas and feedback from the team on decisions that will impact them, and actually put them into consideration and action.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stylesight

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Stylesight full-time for less than a year

ProsSummer Hours. Decent pay. Nice office.

ConsManagement is terrible. They are always looking to blame their problems on others, when in truth they are the reason for the company's flaws.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire new people.

Amazing product but still trying to figure out the infrastructure of the company.

I worked at Stylesight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAn amazing product and clients, great hours ( Summer Fridays) and paid medical.

ConsSalaries are significantly lower than competition, little communication from upper management, no direct path within the company.

Divas, devils and disfunction

I have been working at Stylesight full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat product, great clients, decent hours, innovative and interesting content, cool industry

ConsDysfunctional management,micromanager CEO, too many cooks in the kitchen, still trying to act like a 10 person company with 200+ employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the strategy and stay out of the small things, trust your employees and hire people with the right experience

Just ok

I have been working at Stylesight

ProsSummer hours, half day fridays beginning on Memorial Day Weekend until September

ConsVery low wage, and very bad communication among co-workers

Worse place to work in NYC

I worked at Stylesight full-time

ProsIt is in the fashion business

ConsLack of proper mgmt
High turnover
No direction
Low pay
Lack of morale

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a decent leader and stop relying on the gossip of certain sales people and one VP who are the favorites...they are ruining your business. You should be ashamed of your turnover rate and your investors should look at this

Where do I begin?

New York, NY

I have been working at Stylesight full-time

ProsHalf-day Fridays during the summer. Conveniently located near many popular subway lines.

ConsOn the surface, things look great at SS, however just below the surface there is a palpable sense of fear in the ranks.

Welcome to the boys club, circa 1970, the ceiling is glass and the attitude of management is oppresively sexist and ageist. Female executives come and go through a revolving door. Those who remain are either sadists or masochists - or very beautiful and know how to work Frank.

As for management, there is complete disregard for employees' dignity, rampant mismanagement and forced overtime due to shrinking departments. No career path, crap benefits and very few raises - title-only promotions are plentiful, especially when SS can save money by promoting a junior up, preferably someone young, inexperienced and submissive who will do as told. Mediocre work is valued above talent.

A Growing Creative Fashion Technology and Media Company With a Startup Ethos

I have been working at Stylesight full-time for less than a year

ProsStylesight is an incredible place to work. While it doesn't carry the risk of a smaller tech startup organization, it's still a fast-growing company where people can make themselves heard and really make their mark. The CEO and management are approachable and accessible. Everyone is nice and laid back and fun. We have a gorgeous newly renovated two-story office atop the historic former Ralph Lauren headquarters building. We have company meetings with beer and wine and cupcakes. Stylesight's business model is solid (I think genius, really) and the content people really know/believe in what they're talking about. I think the main difference between us and our competitors is our focus on client services, technology, and imaginative and insightful content. As for compensation, I don't know what anyone else makes, but my salary is on the high end for my position according to Glassdoor, so I'm pretty happy. If I wanted to make more, I could work for a larger and more traditional, boring financial services or media company, but having been there/done that I have learned the value of working for something where your contributions actually matter and you have the flexibility to grow and gain real experience. To be honest, I find the two negative reviews pretty shocking. They were clearly written by people who were fired. And the only two people that I know of who've been let go since I have been with the company truly deserved it, and were given multiple warnings they weren't pulling their weight. That being said, every month people keep getting promoted, so of course there's room for advancement. I've seen people be promoted to positions created just for them, because they were so valuable. It definitely depends on how much you contribute (which is how it should be!)

ConsThe company is still relatively new and small, so there aren't formalized training programs and there's no process for working at other offices internationally (which are small, anyway). We only recently hired an HR representative to standardize hiring and HR practices. Lack of organization means employees have to take more initiative - those more comfortable working for a large company or straight out of college may have to adapt to a more independent, less formal environment. Performance reviews are only yearly and there isn't a standard "road to advancement" - this is not the place for someone who wants a formalized corporate development process like in a consulting model where one can cruise control from analyst to manager in four years. Also, frequently one of the three elevators will break - that's pretty annoying. However, I'd rather work in a gorgeous stately "New York" building than a nondescript 1980s office.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore career training and a more formalized bonus/performance review process would be nice. But not at the price of increased bureaucracy!

Worked for Stylesight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stylesight reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stylesight CEO Frank Bober. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Stylesight employees.