Sub-Zero Freezer Company

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James J. Bakke

Nice place to work with a growing, family-owned company

I have been working at Sub-Zero Freezer Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent benefits, good pay. Company is growing after weathering tough recession. Good work life balance. The family owned environment is definitely nicer than a publicly held one.

ConsSometimes slow to make changes, even when obvious deficiencies exist. Development and growth opportunities exist, but not a lot of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to be more eager to change and evolve.

Good place to start

I worked at Sub-Zero Freezer Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWhen beginning your career, you'll have an opportunity to get a level of responsibility that you might not find at other companies (especially large organizations). A few senior managers are terrific mentors and you can learn a lot from them.

ConsIn the long-term, the strict hierarchical structure can become constraining to further professional growth. Look at a position here not as a career path, but rather as a starting point to help gain experience for landing a position at your next company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not the 1950's -- ties are not a symbol of professionalism, they are a symbol of a firm caught in the past and unable to break free.

Steer clear of this Fiasco

Quality Engineer Co-Op (Current Employee)
Fitchburg, WI

I have been working at Sub-Zero Freezer Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to live, some very good talent

ConsManagement needs to pull their heads out of the wazoo....to many old boys without a frigging clue on how to run a business let alone manage people. I should not be who you know and sleep with but what you bring to the table and can actually do.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the ass kissers and trim the fat at the management level.....some of you guys don't have a clue.

Good stable employment

I worked at Sub-Zero Freezer Company

ProsBenefits are very good. Financially very stable company due to very successful marketing and a great deal of money and effort on developing desirable products. If you can make it across the line into management (department head minimum), you probably have a job for life.

ConsVery top-heavy with many many layers of management. Some managers adding questionable value and mostly tying up others in meetings so they can be "updated". Some others would not be capable of performing the daily duties of their direct reports (and never did or could). Much too much promotion on the "Dilbert Principle". I have worked at several companies since and the few, most incompetent managers and VP's I encountered at SZ are still unrivaled. Not to be too negative, I consider it mostly a case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementDownsize based on competency

Great people with tons of untapped potential

I have been working at Sub-Zero Freezer Company

ProsAlot of personal freedom to prioritize and choose projects. Very open to new technologies and methods with the bottom line of producing results. People in positions with quality experience and knowledge of products.

ConsCan sometimes be disorganized and unfocused. Project decisions are often dictated by upper management, sometimes going against advice given by the people running the projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your people do their jobs and take their advise, not every idea is a good idea...make sure you focus on the projects which will make your company the most successful.

Okay company, nothing special, provides plenty of personal time.

Quality Engineering Co-Op (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sub-Zero Freezer Company

ProsFun people, Madison is a nice town, An enjoyable company culture, there are many social opportunities within in the company put on by HR, company christmas party, golf league, volley ball league, bowling league. Many people are from the Madison area and are good people, the overall environment of the company is extremely laid back and there is little pressure to fill deadlines, most people are generally very easy going and don't stress others around them, some very nice line workers that are easy to work with, line workers get paid extremely well, advanced equipment everywhere for their industry and they strive to make the best product

ConsPoor management, laying off many people, wasteful company spending, there are many periods where this is nothing to do, you have to find your own work to do a lot of times, some of the projects seem frivolous, lots of wasteful spending on so called toys that have little value added to the process, some bickering between departments and lots of wasted time as a result, lots of meetings that are not very productive, deadlines are rarely adhered too and as a result there is a lack of productivity, relying on other departments for teamwork is questionable, some surly line workers that are hard to work with

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not very effective

Learning and Growing experience

I worked at Sub-Zero Freezer Company full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOffer School reinb. and good hours

ConsPoor leadership and communications skills

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelopment for Upper management very much needed

Great Experience! Nice people

I have been working at Sub-Zero Freezer Company

ProsVery nice, laid back company that gets the job done. Everyone works as a team and there is awesome communication between up and lower management. Family owned company that is widely known

ConsEconomy hit hard, and everyone took payment hits. On the rise again though

Some good experiences

I have been working at Sub-Zero Freezer Company

ProsIt feels good to make the best kitchen appliances in the industry.

ConsThere can be limits for career advancement.

Anonymous

I worked at Sub-Zero Freezer Company

ProsGood benefits. Nice people with Mid-western values. Flexible work schedule. Very generous during good times.

ConsIndustry has taken a big hit as a result of decreased bank lending. Numerous changes have reduced accountability with-in departments. Promotions based on who knows/likes you rather than what you contribute. Seems to be an inner circle of drinkers, if your not in with them, it will be impossible for you to advance. If your a women, work someplace else.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts really time to start investing in technology. And you need to look at some of your recent hires.

Worked for Sub-Zero Freezer Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sub-Zero Freezer Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sub-Zero Freezer Company CEO James J. Bakke. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Sub-Zero Freezer Company employees.