Sublime Media

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014
4.3

David Linder

Great place to work for the self-motivated

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time

Pros

Free snacks

Dog friendly

Great health benefits for a small company

Unlimited time off

Great people

Working hours are reasonable and relaxed. Employees aren't expected to work excessively.

Exposure to an impressive collection of corporate clients

If you're smart and self motivated, you can rise to the top quickly

Cons

Small company - there is no corporate ladder to climb, so it's easy to peak out

Salaries are mid-range

Company is driven by client deadlines. Not a sweatshop, but there are definetly times when there is pressure to deliver

Laid-back atmosphere, down-to-earth employees, and dogs at work.

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time

Pros

Sublime has a knack of hand-picking employees who are not only superb at their craft, but also down-to-earth, genuinely good human beings. In little to no time at all, colleagues become close friends. Interpersonal communication is open, honest, and respectful. The man-eats-man competition that runs rampant in corporate cultures simply isn’t present here. There’s a strong, shared interest in looking after the common good, and as a result, the company is extremely tight-knit. “People helping people” could be Sublime’s second tagline. There’s a youthful, light-hearted vibe to the office, which is amplified by after-hours mojitos and biweekly catered lunches. It’s far from stuffy—so far, in fact, that no one will raise an eyebrow if you wear a t-shirt and flip-flops to work or order a lunch beer during a group outing.

Secondly, this place is an OASIS for creative types who yearn for flexibility in environment, relaxed working conditions, and project variation. Are you an early bird? Come in a bit before the crowd. Night owl? Arrive a bit later. Sublime respects that not everyone is cut out for a rigid 9-5, and management is 100% cool with making employees comfortable so that we can produce the best work possible under the conditions we work best. For those who require solitude and minimal interruptions to meet deadlines, working from home is a viable option. So long as we’re available (preferably in person, but online is OK, too) during core hours (10-4), we’re trusted to be adults and set and manage our own schedules. That kind of autonomy is pure gold.

Back to the project variation: Sublime has plenty of it. Our client list is seriously impressive, and we have the opportunity to create courses for a multitude of sectors ranging from tech, medicine, fashion, and philanthropy. Most projects span between two and three months, although there are certainly those that have tighter or looser deadlines. While not all subject matters will be your cup of tea, there’s always the reassurance that a new project is on deck, giving you the opportunity to dive into something new entirely. Busy waves come and go, and during downtime, we’re encouraged to develop our professional skills and learn new tools. Sublime has an education reimbursement program for those who’d like to enhance a particular skillset. In little to no time, even the greenest of employees will fine-tune their repertoire, becoming adept at the out-of-the-box problem solving Sublime is sought out for.

Sublime is located in a funky loft office space in the heart of Lower Queen Anne. We share a space with other design-oriented tenants, which include offices specializing in architecture, marketing, interior design, and even eyelash lash extension. The whole building is abuzz with a creative energy that flows freely throughout all three floors. The office space itself is an open layout, which is ideal for some and an adjustment for others, and the company provides a well-stocked kitchen that’s filled with goodies and drinks. Depending on where you sit, you may get a view of the water from your desk. For those without a window view of the Sound, Elliott Bay is just a five-minute walk away, making waterside lunchtime breaks completely doable. It’s true what they say: it really is all about location, location, location, and Sublime has it. Many employees live nearby and walk to work, and for those who commute, Sublime provides bus passes or parking permits.

On top of the soft benefits, like working from home and biweekly catered lunches, Sublime has a tangible benefits package that’s tricky to top. Full-time employees pay zero out of pocket expenses for medical, vision, and dental (although there IS a buy-up option for a lower deductible). Dogs aren’t just allowed in the office—they’re encouraged and utterly adored. On any given day, four or five dogs can be found playing fetch, roaming the rooms, or taking a snooze under their owners’ desks. However, it goes without saying that Sublime’s most attractive benefit is the unlimited paid time off. Employees have gone on overseas adventures, long-term backpacking trips, and safaris—although naturally, such extended trips require some aforethought and approval.

Lastly, upper management shows a genuine concern for their employees. They make every effort to make our workplace a happy, inviting, and fun culture where employees can thrive. Whether we will, of course, is up to us. 

Cons

That older loft office that’s oozing with character? Well, it can get a bit hot in the summer, and a bit chilly in the winter. When the temperature creeps above 80°, our westward facing office gets rather toasty. A desk fan and short sleeves will do wonders in August. Conversely, when the temperature dips below 60°, you’ll need to dress in multiple layers and consider requesting a space heater (which of course, management will happily provide). This too-hot/too-cold epidemic suffered by most older buildings. Ce la vie. The pro to this itty bitty con is that we don’t have oppressive fluorescent lighting, but rather, HUGE windows that allow for plenty of natural light.

When it’s crunch time, and if often is, you can expect to work more than 40 hours a week. Working in the tech industry in Seattle, I don’t think this should come as a big surprise, but overtime isn’t everyone’s jam. If you’re the type to grimace at the thought of eating lunch and/or dinner at your desk in order to move a project out the door, you’ll either A) learn to suck it up REAL fast, or B) be terribly unhappy. The silver lining is that while it can get a bit hectic, these periods never last long—maybe a week or two—and then the stress will subside.

Meetings and requests to “sync” (read: meet really quickly in an informal, by-your-desk manner) will eat up a good chunk of your workday. Interruptions are frequent, whether in-person or via IM, causing you to drop what you’re doing and redirect your attention elsewhere. This isn’t a trait that’s unique to Sublime, but it does hinder some folks’ ability to get work done during the normal workday. Also, due to open layout setup of the office, conversations will be held within 10 feet of your desk pretty much all day long. My suggestion is to either come in early, stay a bit late, or take your computer home if you absolutely have to do some heavy mental lifting. That, or request a pair of noise canceling headphones. Like I said, Sublime is flexible about environment, and management wants you to work efficiently.

Lastly, salary for some departments is a little lower than the industry average, especially in the Puget Sound area. It’s not shocking that you may get paid more by a corporate powerhouse than by a smaller start-up. That said, the mid-range salary coupled with the phenomenal benefits package is actually an extremely hard-to-pass-up deal. There’s certainly room to grow from your current salary point. We get paid enough to be comfortable, and for most of us, that’s more than plenty.

You guys are doing awesome. I mean that. There have been a handful of changes in the last few months, but I’m confident that we’re evolving in a positive direction. Please keep checking in with your employees—conversation is invaluable. In other offices, advice from employees may fall on deaf ears. Not here. You do an impressive job of taking action when action is needed, and your mover-and-shaker mentality is exactly what makes Sublime so great. Thank you!

Philosophy shapes the company and culture

Current Employee - Director of Development  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Senior management really does care about the employees -- full medical paid out for employees with most of dependent covered. Lunches for the company every two weeks or so. Unlimited time of policy. Dog-friendly environment. Got the munchies -- there's always snacks around (including healthy options.)

You can go in the bosses door (if you can figure out how to do it, its the difficult process of grabbing the door handle and pulling it open) and say, "I have a problem" and you will get action 95% of the time. If you don't, you get a reason. All ideas listened to because a) they give a damn b) they value feedback c) they are decent human beings. When you are honest with them, they are honest with you.

Principal owners know the learning space and they mentor the employees, or expect department managers to do it. Feels gratifying to have the kind of reputation we have among clients. And whenever there is a problem that is identified -- whether it be training, process, personal needs, issues with growth in the company, a vision is set and changes are attempted. Culture reflects character of management.

Unlike some places where your role keeps you in a silo, you really can grow and advance here.

Cons

As an agency, your schedule is sometimes at the mercy of the client or other outside forces. But that's the nature of agency work.

The unlimited time off policy is nice, as it rewards responsible employees. However, it cannot be applied uniformly depending on your role.

Continue to let your personal philosophy shape the company and culture.

Changes in process can be scary - they take awhile for the positives to be ingrained in the company culture. Keep it up.

Keep focusing on the right kind of people that you hire work here; that's the best part of the company.

Invest more in employee professional development/training -- at least 2 hours per week of directed development.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast and furious with lots of new faces.

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time

Pros

The people are great! There is a core of dedicated folks across all the teams who will do anything to get a project done right and on time. Also, there is a good deal of flexibility with hours and PTO, which allows folks to try and keep their lives balanced. We also create really slick and innovative training tools, and I regularly feel proud of what we produce. Also, management is really receptive to helping people grow in the directions the want to grow.

Cons

Onboarding is nonexistent, so getting new hires up to speed can be very difficult. Often times people who have been here for months do not understand the basic life cycle of a project. It's ironic to me that we develop cutting edge learning tools for other companies and yet have none of our own. I think this would save us a lot of time and money to develop these.

Project management is probably the weakest element at Sublime. The people are great, but the schedules that are created based on poor scoping on SOWs force other teams to cut corners. It has only been getting worse since I've been with Sublime, and it's only a matter of time until something falls through the cracks. I'm worried that we'll have to lose clients over it for something to be done. In some respects, the cutting of corners is tied to the lack of understanding surrounding the project life cycle.Obviously we have to make tight deadlines to win clients, but we can't do that at the expense of our quality and our reputation as one of the best.

Build the training tools, and nail down internal processes. Also, see to it that SOWs are not promising timelines that cut out essential steps of development. Finally, we need more QA. It is plain to everyone in the office that our current QA tester is overworked, and that's with him just making sure that courses don't have catastrophic bugs. At the end of the day, he doesn't really have time to truly put a course through its paces. No one works harder or is more committed to Sublime than he is.

The most amazing people

Current Employee - President  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I'm the co-founder of Sublime, David Linder.

You know why I love Sublime? The people. They are constantly surprising and impressing me. We work on high-impact, short-deadline projects, everything from driving a train to DNA, from selling computers and clothing to workplace safety. At the end of almost every project, I see something to be proud of. These are people that care.

Cons

Do we have room to improve? Yes, hell yes. It's why I stay involved with projects and with people. I don't have an "exit strategy" for Sublime. I want to build an amazing company that does heroic things. We can be the company that changes training.

I invite real, honest, fierce feedback from everyone who works here; I'm having face-to-face conversations to see what we can do better and what we are doing well.

My personal commitment is to make myself more available to everyone here to solve problems, encourage collaboration, develop new ideas, and to listen.

A growing company getting most things right

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time

Pros

Sublime Media has a great office atmosphere, with cross-functional teams encouraged to collaborate and innovate. The people here are fantastic. A lot of care goes into hiring to make sure that new additions fit culturally as well as for their competencies. The flexible PTO policy, good benefits, and dogs around the office are also plusses.

Cons

The workload can be highly variable. Management rightly points out that project timelines are usually set by the client, but that doesn't change the fact that you sometimes have to grind out long hours, and the expectations only get more unrealistic as you near the end of the project, putting the weight squarely on developers and QA. The compressed timelines make it difficult for people to actually take the time to be as collaborative and innovative as the company wants.

I'm not sure how to fight the timeline battle when the alternative is that the client takes work elsewhere. They have actually been fairly proactive at pushing timelines when they see opportunities to do so. Keep doing it.

Not your typical small company

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Creativity is encouraged, management wants to hear feedback, encouragement to push the boundaries of the norm.

I've worked at small consulting companies and very large technology companies. I've been on both sides of the fence of employee and management. I've run my own company and I know that challenges and stress it can bring. Here's what I see at Sublime - a team that really cares. I've watched management make personal sacrifices to take care of employees, I've seen amazing innovation and client reactions of "I didn't know that was possible" and I've watched as project teams can change the direction/vision of a solution when they have great ideas. Ego is not something you'll find at Sublime. I've been all over the place and I can't think of a better place to be than Sublime.

Cons

Some monotonous projects (but to be expected), project timelines can cause stress due to client requirements, projects that happen one after another can be templated which might stifle creativity.

Small, Creative Company which Fosters Close Employee Relationships and a Strong Sense of Personal Responsibility

Current Employee - Manager, Engineering Team  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager, Engineering Team in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In all things, Sublime offers a high level of freedom. The quality of project output rests with the members of a team building that project. Company hierarchy is loose and beyond specific project responsibilities employees determine their place in the company.

Office environment is casual and teams tend to be close-knit. Dogs are everywhere!

Management is extremely open to all feedback. Any concerns about the direction of the company or projects can be addressed to the company owners easily and - when presented clearly and with an eye towards resolving problems - is addressed by the owners themselves.

Work is immediately applicable and customer-focused. Output is typically a class or two better than work being done by competitors in terms of quality, visual appeal and usability.

Cons

Many of the best things about Sublime can also be its biggest challenges depending on an employee's preferences and specific situations.

The greater degree of freedom brings with it a greater degree of responsibility. Teams themselves are primarily responsible for the quality of their work and anyone looking for someone in management to detail every step of their work before it is done will struggle at Sublime. Projects are as organized or chaotic as the members of that team make them.

The company has grown rapidly in recent years and in some respects is still trying to figure out how to maintain its loose, informal atmosphere while handling the increased stresses of a larger organization.

In the end, Sublime is a consulting organization and customers expect that deadlines are met which can lead to crunch time if a project team is not paying attention to how their progress is tracking to those deadlines.

Encourage employees to take advantage of the freedom available in the company. Consistently implement a *slightly* more structured project management approach. Be more cognizant of available project team bandwidth when taking on new work or customer change requests.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time

Pros

All employees have the ability to work on a variety of different projects. It never gets boring and we are always learning new things.

Management really listens to their employees. They welcome any opportunity for honest conversations and are willing to try new ways of doing things. They are honest with their employees and are always asking for feedback. It is the employee's responsibility to actually take them up on it.

Employees are given a lot of trust. Management is not breathing down their neck and forcing them to punch a time clock. They trust that employees will use their time wisely.

We have unlimited Paid Time Off and the ability to work from home if needed.

The company supplies a bus pass or parking pass.

The open loft office space makes it easy to collaborate with others and lends itself to a creative work environment.

Love all the dogs in the office.

Free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Salaries are on the lower end.

Sometimes we are overwhelmed with work but that is to be expected with client decisions and deadlines.

Would like to see 401-k matching.

Keep finding new innovative ways to do things.

Growing company with great benifits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sublime Media full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people
    Benefits
    Decent wages
    Team work environment

Cons

Hot in the summer cold in the winter. Offices could use a face lift.

Worked for Sublime Media? Contribute to the Community!