Subsystem Technologies

CEO

HR Manager

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager/Generalist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager/Generalist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Subsystem Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and very good location

Cons

Lose of to many contracts

Be fair to your employees

Scientists Need Not Apply.

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Crystal City, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Crystal City, VA

I have been working at Subsystem Technologies part-time (more than a year)

Pros

SUBSYSTEMs Technologies Inc. is a privately owned corporation with the owners family members occupying the top positions on the board of directors. Although the corporate name has the word ‘technologies’ in it, SUBSYSTEMs is not a technology-based corporation. SUBSYSTEMs is a services-based corporation with off-site offices located in Columbia, MD., Wharton, N.J., San Diego, Ca., and Palmdale, Ca. The corporation services the defense and intelligence sectors, providing intelligence analysis, financial analysis, documentation (technical writing), and some software engineering.

Summation:
    Central location (albeit difficult to access)
    Reasonably good pay
    Amiable co-workers
    Good work-life balance
    Reasonable pay increases

Cons

I was hired in Crystal City, Virginia on a full-time basis with benefits to provide GPS guidance and navigation subject matter expertise to the US Army. Two-weeks later, my employment status was changed to ‘part-time-on-call’, and I was stripped of benefits.

I'm a scientist and normally work in a DoD R&D environment with similarly qualified co-workers. Upon hiring in, I was told that SUBSYSTEMs wants to add science and technology to their corporate capabilities. Unfortunately I've become a fish out-of-water at SUBSYSTEMs. The CEO and corporate president asked me to develop a solution to UAV intrusions in our national airspace. When I presented my conceptual design for a passive UAV detection system, the CEO presented his vision of a “security-wrapper” to protect prohibited and restricted airspaces. I couldn’t understand his vision, since it didn’t include the technological infrastructure to support the security-wrapper. (A classic case of placing the cart before the horse.)

Summation:
    Unfriendly clients
    Upper management operates in a bubble
    Non-technical middle management
    Uncommunicative support staff.
    Beware of the bait and switch employment tactic

Update the corporation's five-year plan to include a requirement for all managers and directors to attend courses in emerging technologies (George Washington University, Georgetown University, George Mason University, James Mason University). Stop the bait and switch hiring tactics.

Good Changes may be coming soon.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Wharton, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Wharton, NJ

I have been working at Subsystem Technologies

Pros

Introduction to Army work force. Liberal time off policy (depending on your supervisor). Salary comparative to industry benchmark.

Cons

Confusing administrative procedures. Little to no professional development opportunities offered. The company is contract based so if an employee is on a contract that will not pay for classes, etc. you are out of luck. A career path is non existent. Benefits are expensive.
    The company finally realized they needed to have an experienced and competent HR manager and one was hired. She is serious about making Subsystem a better place for people to work. We shall see if management empowers her to make all the changes that would make the company a better place to work.

Your employees are your greatest asset, treat them that way!