Suburban Hospital Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Brian A. Gragnolati

1. Being part of Johns Hopkins Medicine is bringing this community hospital into the future

Former Employee - Non-clinical Administration Position in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Non-clinical Administration Position in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great people Metro subsidy Shuttle from Metro to Hospital Great food in cafeteria

Cons

Management still confused about/resisting integration with Hopkins as a system after operating as a stand alone hospital for so long. Challenging boss; not trusting, resistant to new technologies, somewhat demeaning attitude most of the time from this particular person

Great place

Current Employee - Pct II in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Pct II in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits package is the best way better then Maryland health exchange.

Cons

Leadership plays major politics, only out for selves and they lie a lot

Advice to Management

Make your employees happy and they will work for you forever, pay your techs more per hour and allow them to attain other nursing certifications that can be reimbursed through the educational benifits 9ACLS, BTLS, EMT etc...)

Not a great place to start a career

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people i worked with were very nice in my department

Cons

Parking is horrible. Laboratory staff gets treated like second class citizens by other departments. Your patient had a potassium of 7.5 in an unhemolyzed sample, the nurses don't care. You're constantly talked down to by lab administration and other departments. There is very little room for advancement or continuing education. If you're looking for a job with minimal oversight,this may be it. Lab administration is more concerned with checking the box than doing the right thing. Don't forget the critters that crawl around on the floor, this is the dirtiest lab I've ever seen. Lots of cliques and rumors fly around like the end of the world, which somehow end up on your annual review without even being asked if it was true or not. This is a terrible lab and hospital. I would never want to be a patient here!

Suburban hospital is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Surgical Technologists in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Surgical Technologists in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is located in a great area.

Cons

Competitive to some of the other hospitals in DC.

Advice to Management

Offer the staff a little more money.

6. I was very disappointed that my first job in a hospital didn't turn out like I hoped it would.

Former Employee - Pct in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Pct in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seasoned employees that I worked with that I learned so much from. Some units, employees, managers and employee morale good.

Cons

Poor Communication/Low Salary/Poor employee morale/Very few team players/Poor Management support/Dysfunctional Training i.e. 2 employees train different on same procedure!!

Advice to Management

Setting the tone of the department or unit starts at the top. If the manager walks in and says nothing to the employees, it sets a bad tone. Come in say good morning to EVERYONE you pass, put your things in your office and get out there and talk to your supervisors. How was the shift? Walk around and say good morning to EVERYONE on that shift and the next shift. The manager can't show anything but upbeat! "Loose Lips Sink Ships" Management shouldn't be offering information that clearly is not for all or some employee's ears!! In employee meetings it's nice to recognize employees not just for patient accolades, but outstanding work by an employee who for example may have taken the initiative to do something that made a big difference. It's not a good idea to have employees you favor or let other employee see that you favor certain employees. Managers are support for employees to run interference when an employee needs help. It would be nice if when an employee asks for help they get it instead of "Well what do you want me to do about it" It would also be nice if when an employee came to management the manager wouldn't say "go back and tell....." It's not the place of the employee to be telling anyone what to do. That should come from management. Human Resources- Exit Interviews may be a good idea and also a short basic workshop on management might be a good idea. When you heir an RN immediately they are put into a supervisor role. They supervise the PCT. Some can't even do confrontation! It's hard because its uncomfortable. They ask a PCT to do something and the PCT says no and the RN shrugs and does it themselves. THATS WRONG!!

7. Great place to start a nursing career.

Former Employee - RN II in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - RN II in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a new nurse I felt that the other employees at Suburban offered a lot of support both personally and professionally. It is a small enough hospital where you get to know the "higher-ups" and really feel like you are a valuable asset to the organization.

Cons

Just like in any hospital work environment there are lots of different personalities, cultures, and beliefs of both other employees and patient's.

Advice to Management

Recognize the accomplishments and value of the employees.

8. Undercover BUST

Former Employee - Hard Labor in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Hard Labor in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved working at this place, gave my 110% everyday 35 years, liked the co-workers, comfy workplace. Great Location. Respect to: Dennis Parnell !

Cons

Don't even want to go there. Rip my soul out, and flushed it! New Management - See the good people you have that have gave 1/2 of their life to you, Be fair.

Advice to Management

Ever heard of the show "UNDERCOVER BOSS"?? They need them! i Wish 1 ever noticed me, I might still be there.

Suburban Hospital Review

Former Employee - Ops- Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Ops- Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about my self and about being an manager.

Cons

Working there was very stressful because of the hospital employees. They are a mean group of people and don't believe in team work. A lot of them felt they were to good to even pick up a piece of paper off the floor.

Advice to Management

They need to work on all departments to work together to keep the hospital running and clean. They need to work on their attitudes towards each other not only the patients.

10. Great hospital and great place to work!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bethesda, MD
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people at the hospital were very friendly and very dedicated to providing good health care to the patients. There was also a very strong sense of community among the employees as well as with respect to the surrounding physical community.

Cons

There were really no cons about working at this hospital. It was really a wonderful and rewarding experience. I would definitely recommend it to others.

11. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of competent staff, at every level, devoted to patient care. Diverse employee and patient population. Flexible schedule. Accessible and supportive program coordinator. Friendly environment.

Cons

Parking- clinical staff assigned to off campus lots while middle managers park on site. Concerns shared with upper management slow to be addressed or resolved. Little employee recognition from management.

Advice to Management

Patient experience at the hospital is influenced by perception of the quality of care provided. All it takes is one indifferent employee to cancel out the best efforts of the team.

RSS Feed </> Embed