Suburban Hospital

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014
3.1

Brian A. Gragnolati

Being part of Johns Hopkins Medicine is bringing this community hospital into the future

Former Employee - Non-clinical Administration Position in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Non-clinical Administration Position in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really great people
    Metro subsidy
    Shuttle from Metro to Hospital
    Great food in cafeteria

Cons

Management still confused about/resisting integration with Hopkins as a system after operating as a stand alone hospital for so long.
    Challenging boss; not trusting, resistant to new technologies, somewhat demeaning attitude most of the time from this particular person

Not a great place to start a career

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people i worked with were very nice in my department

Cons

Parking is horrible. Laboratory staff gets treated like second class citizens by other departments. Your patient had a potassium of 7.5 in an unhemolyzed sample, the nurses don't care. You're constantly talked down to by lab administration and other departments. There is very little room for advancement or continuing education. If you're looking for a job with minimal oversight,this may be it. Lab administration is more concerned with checking the box than doing the right thing. Don't forget the critters that crawl around on the floor, this is the dirtiest lab I've ever seen. Lots of cliques and rumors fly around like the end of the world, which somehow end up on your annual review without even being asked if it was true or not. This is a terrible lab and hospital. I would never want to be a patient here!

Suburban hospital is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Surgical Technologists in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Surgical Technologists in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is located in a great area.

Cons

Competitive to some of the other hospitals in DC.

Offer the staff a little more money.

I was very disappointed that my first job in a hospital didn't turn out like I hoped it would.

Former Employee - Pct in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Pct in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seasoned employees that I worked with that I learned so much from. Some units, employees, managers and employee morale good.

Cons

Poor Communication/Low Salary/Poor employee morale/Very few team players/Poor Management support/Dysfunctional Training i.e. 2 employees train different on same procedure!!

Setting the tone of the department or unit starts at the top. If the manager walks in and says nothing to the employees, it sets a bad tone. Come in say good morning to EVERYONE you pass, put your things in your office and get out there and talk to your supervisors. How was the shift? Walk around and say good morning to EVERYONE on that shift and the next shift. The manager can't show anything but upbeat! "Loose Lips Sink Ships" Management shouldn't be offering information that clearly is not for all or some employee's ears!! In employee meetings it's nice to recognize employees not just for patient accolades, but outstanding work by an employee who for example may have taken the initiative to do something that made a big difference. It's not a good idea to have employees you favor or let other employee see that you favor certain employees. Managers are support for employees to run interference when an employee needs help. It would be nice if when an employee asks for help they get it instead of "Well what do you want me to do about it" It would also be nice if when an employee came to management the manager wouldn't say "go back and tell....." It's not the place of the employee to be telling anyone what to do. That should come from management. Human Resources- Exit Interviews may be a good idea and also a short basic workshop on management might be a good idea. When you heir an RN immediately they are put into a supervisor role. They supervise the PCT. Some can't even do confrontation! It's hard because its uncomfortable. They ask a PCT to do something and the PCT says no and the RN shrugs and does it themselves. THATS WRONG!!

Hostile and Racist Workplace

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sorry.... I'm having trouble coming up with something for this section. I'm sure there might be some, I just can't think of any right now.

Cons

For years I dealt with the 'I prefer to work with people of color' comments and the intense scrutiny because of my white ethnicity.... I'm sorry, I was born that way. However, the hostility I received when I pointed out errors that could affect patient care was completely unacceptable. A coworker pulled a knife on me when she wasn't following procedure, which I spoke up about (professionally, of course). Management responded by giving her a 'warning' and forcing me to continue to work with her. She continued to mock me, threaten me and my kids, then she started showing up at my kids bus stop. The police said they couldn't do anything unless she acted or I had physical proof of her threats. Management told me behind closed doors that firing her would look bad because she's black. Ummmm.... it has nothing to do with race!!!! It does however have everything to do with workplace safety! You would think they would take the whole weapons in the workplace a little more seriously a year after another employee was stabbed to death there. Oh.... and when I called security right after she pulled the knife, it took them over 30 min to show up.

Great place to start a nursing career.

Former Employee - RN II in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - RN II in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a new nurse I felt that the other employees at Suburban offered a lot of support both personally and professionally. It is a small enough hospital where you get to know the "higher-ups" and really feel like you are a valuable asset to the organization.

Cons

Just like in any hospital work environment there are lots of different personalities, cultures, and beliefs of both other employees and patient's.

Recognize the accomplishments and value of the employees.

Undercover BUST

Former Employee - Hard Labor in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Hard Labor in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved working at this place, gave my 110% everyday 35 years, liked the co-workers, comfy workplace. Great Location. Respect to: Dennis Parnell !

Cons

Don't even want to go there. Rip my soul out, and flushed it! New Management - See the good people you have that have gave 1/2 of their life to you, Be fair.

Ever heard of the show "UNDERCOVER BOSS"?? They need them! i Wish 1 ever noticed me, I might still be there.

Good place to launch nursing career

Former Employee - RN I
    Former Employee - RN I

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Willing to hire new grad nurses

Cons

Very little say in schedule for this particular unit. Alternating shifts. High nurse:patient ratios

Prioritize nurse morale and staffing levels to reduce turnover

Suburban Hospital Review

Former Employee - Ops- Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Ops- Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot about my self and about being an manager.

Cons

Working there was very stressful because of the hospital employees. They are a mean group of people and don't believe in team work. A lot of them felt they were to good to even pick up a piece of paper off the floor.

They need to work on all departments to work together to keep the hospital running and clean. They need to work on their attitudes towards each other not only the patients.

Technician working at Suburban Hospital more than 10 years

I have been working at Suburban Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hospital trying to improve patient experiences.
    Building a new hospital and parking garage.
    Has lots of activities for employees.

Cons

Old building. Parking is a nightmare, you are shuttled in buses between parking lots to work. Since Johns Hopkins took over, the hospital lost its community focused care. Many jobs have been eliminated or moved to Baltimore. They are a "non-profit" hospital that wants to make money. Most of the staff walk the halls with unhappy faces and not friendly, not a warm caring place to work any more.

Promote from within Suburban instead of hiring Johns Hopkins staff for management jobs. Return to focusing on what is best for the health of the community instead of what Johns Hopkins wants in Baltimore. Put on happy faces when walking hallways and always acknowledge employees, patients and guests to make Suburban a caring place to be again.