Suburban Hospital Reviews

Reset
Brian A. Gragnolati

1. Clinical

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time

Pros

Benefits are great. There are opportunities to gain a lot of clinical knowledge. Leadership encourages employees' feedback.

Cons

Pay is reasonable but lower than the national average. However, the benefits can make up for the gap.

2. Poor staffing

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time

Pros

Some units have receptive managers

Cons

Management needs to improve nurses to patient ratios especially during the night shift and improve staffing for better patient safety.

Advice to Management

Get rid of matrix staffing system and pay closer attention to patient acuity

3. Great place

Current Employee - Pct II in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Pct II in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits package is the best way better then Maryland health exchange.

Cons

Leadership plays major politics, only out for selves and they lie a lot

Advice to Management

Make your employees happy and they will work for you forever, pay your techs more per hour and allow them to attain other nursing certifications that can be reimbursed through the educational benifits 9ACLS, BTLS, EMT etc...)

5. I liked the family atmosphere I felt in the OR

I worked at Suburban Hospital

Pros

Steady work load. There was a good variety of surgical specialties. i felt we all worked together as a team

Cons

Location , being located in Bethesda made traffic a pain to dealwith. There were some management issues . Salary could have been better

6. Being part of Johns Hopkins Medicine is bringing this community hospital into the future

Former Employee - Non-clinical Administration Position in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Non-clinical Administration Position in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great people Metro subsidy Shuttle from Metro to Hospital Great food in cafeteria

Cons

Management still confused about/resisting integration with Hopkins as a system after operating as a stand alone hospital for so long. Challenging boss; not trusting, resistant to new technologies, somewhat demeaning attitude most of the time from this particular person

7. Not a great place to start a career

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people i worked with were very nice in my department

Cons

Parking is horrible. Laboratory staff gets treated like second class citizens by other departments. Your patient had a potassium of 7.5 in an unhemolyzed sample, the nurses don't care. You're constantly talked down to by lab administration and other departments. There is very little room for advancement or continuing education. If you're looking for a job with minimal oversight,this may be it. Lab administration is more concerned with checking the box than doing the right thing. Don't forget the critters that crawl around on the floor, this is the dirtiest lab I've ever seen. Lots of cliques and rumors fly around like the end of the world, which somehow end up on your annual review without even being asked if it was true or not. This is a terrible lab and hospital. I would never want to be a patient here!

8. Suburban hospital is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Surgical Technologists in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Surgical Technologists in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Suburban Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is located in a great area.

Cons

Competitive to some of the other hospitals in DC.

Advice to Management

Offer the staff a little more money.

9. I was very disappointed that my first job in a hospital didn't turn out like I hoped it would.

Former Employee - Pct in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Pct in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seasoned employees that I worked with that I learned so much from. Some units, employees, managers and employee morale good.

Cons

Poor Communication/Low Salary/Poor employee morale/Very few team players/Poor Management support/Dysfunctional Training i.e. 2 employees train different on same procedure!!

Advice to Management

Setting the tone of the department or unit starts at the top. If the manager walks in and says nothing to the employees, it sets a bad tone. Come in say good morning to EVERYONE you pass, put your things in your office and get out there and talk to your supervisors. How was the shift? Walk around and say good morning to EVERYONE on that shift and the next shift. The manager can't show anything but upbeat! "Loose Lips Sink Ships" Management shouldn't be offering information that clearly is not for all or some employee's ears!! In employee meetings it's nice to recognize employees not just for patient accolades, but outstanding work by an employee who for example may have taken the initiative to do something that made a big difference. It's not a good idea to have employees you favor or let other employee see that you favor certain employees. Managers are support for employees to run interference when an employee needs help. It would be nice if when an employee asks for help they get it instead of "Well what do you want me to do about it" It would also be nice if when an employee came to management the manager wouldn't say "go back and tell....." It's not the place of the employee to be telling anyone what to do. That should come from management. Human Resources- Exit Interviews may be a good idea and also a short basic workshop on management might be a good idea. When you heir an RN immediately they are put into a supervisor role. They supervise the PCT. Some can't even do confrontation! It's hard because its uncomfortable. They ask a PCT to do something and the PCT says no and the RN shrugs and does it themselves. THATS WRONG!!

Hostile and Racist Workplace

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sorry.... I'm having trouble coming up with something for this section. I'm sure there might be some, I just can't think of any right now.

Cons

For years I dealt with the 'I prefer to work with people of color' comments and the intense scrutiny because of my white ethnicity.... I'm sorry, I was born that way. However, the hostility I received when I pointed out errors that could affect patient care was completely unacceptable. A coworker pulled a knife on me when she wasn't following procedure, which I spoke up about (professionally, of course). Management responded by giving her a 'warning' and forcing me to continue to work with her. She continued to mock me, threaten me and my kids, then she started showing up at my kids bus stop. The police said they couldn't do anything unless she acted or I had physical proof of her threats. Management told me behind closed doors that firing her would look bad because she's black. Ummmm.... it has nothing to do with race!!!! It does however have everything to do with workplace safety! You would think they would take the whole weapons in the workplace a little more seriously a year after another employee was stabbed to death there. Oh.... and when I called security right after she pulled the knife, it took them over 30 min to show up.

11. Great place to start a nursing career.

Former Employee - RN II in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - RN II in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Suburban Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a new nurse I felt that the other employees at Suburban offered a lot of support both personally and professionally. It is a small enough hospital where you get to know the "higher-ups" and really feel like you are a valuable asset to the organization.

Cons

Just like in any hospital work environment there are lots of different personalities, cultures, and beliefs of both other employees and patient's.

Advice to Management

Recognize the accomplishments and value of the employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed