Subway

Subway Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Subway President Fred DeLuca

Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages(in 80 reviews)

• Flexible hours, easy basic tasks, fast pace environment so always something to do(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • cleaning, not much room for advancement - stuck at minimum wage indefinitely(in 79 reviews)

• You don't get paid much above minimum wage, and there is not much room for advancement(in 17 reviews)

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Being my first job, it helped me get great experience of the retail industry.

Person-In-Charge (Former Employee) Saddle Brook, NJ

ProsFlexible Hours, good for college going students

ConsLess Pay and that's it

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the wages for the workers and ask the employees for some new sandwich ideas since they are the ones who are around all the materials every day.

Good to start requiring customer relationship for beginners.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFood is fresh, use creativity. There is no backdoor work other than getting the food ready, food is made in front of the customer so they know what they are getting. Good for beginner to provide customer service.

ConsAlthough the bread smells and tastes good, but it is often hard to get rid of the odor from the clothes. Customer expects the employer to know what type of service they desire.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher wages.

Acceptable but could be much better

Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) Lynbrook, NY

ProsFlexible schedule and human and understand that youre a person who has their own problems too and have to deal with them sometimes

ConsPay is just minimum wage so nothing special and theres very little to no mobility from being a sandwich artist and theres a lot of cheating and gross health factors

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation for the amount of work done

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) Matawan, NJ

ProsIts not that hard of a job and it doesn't require much experience there is also the plus of the free food that you get to eat on the job.

ConsSome of the cons of working at subway are that you have to be on your feet all day and sometimes if there are a lot of customers and only one person working it gets busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave at least 2 employees working at the store at a time

good job for teens

Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Proseverything is straight forward and every one does a little of everything unlike McDonalds or burger king that assign one work to one person. this way you get to meet and interact with people. Everything is straightforward

Conslittle to no ways to move up the ladder really unless someone at the top of your store leaves, your pay will stay the same which will leave you wanting to look for better opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementnone whatsoever this is a job not a career

good college job

Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosrelatively easy job
    decent pay and flexibility

Conshours feel long at times
    repetitive most of the time

it was sometihing new

Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosfree food left and right

Consreptitive work same thing day in and out

Advice to Senior Managementplease listen to worker requests

Actual Job was entirely different from what manager described at time of hiring.

Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) West Orange, NJ

ProsMost subways offer employees meals which are free six inch sandwiches per shift

ConsFor Minimum wage, managers expect you to be able to operate, manage, and maintain the whole restaurant. Managers frequently leave employees alone which is against subway policy. Majority of Subway restaurants are owned and operated by Indian people (Not saying that as a bad thing as I am Indian myself) so make sure you receive a pay stub because subway owners are known to give employees less than what they really earned.

worked at subway for a few years. the job wears out on you

Store Manager (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Prosnone really expect the free food and flexible hours

Conslong hours, low compensation, no paid vacation, no benefit and very stressful

Advice to Senior Managementemployees need an increase in compensation and benefit unless they won't be happy working.

Owners Terrible/ Lots of Illegal Activity

Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsCo workers. Hard work but simple.

Conslow pay. sometimes not paid on time. Disrespectful managers

Worked for Subway? Contribute to the Community!