Subway Reviews

3.1
1,128 Reviews

Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 92 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 96 reviews)

• The pay was less than desirable and there were no benefits or insurance (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic.

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Russellville, AL
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Russellville, AL

I worked at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work and life balance.

Cons

I was only part time.

None.

Fast paste, not bad

I have been working at Subway

Pros

The owners are great people to work for

Cons

On busy days you work really hard for little pay

Na

Subway was an excellent learning experience.

Former Employee - General Manager in Johns, NC
    Former Employee - General Manager in Johns, NC

I worked at Subway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my job at Subway, the owner of the store at which I managed was patient, listened to concerns, and helped resolve issues.

Cons

As manager, I was always on call. When I had a day off, I was still receiving phone calls and had to cover call offs.

The upper management I had was the store owner and he was wonderful to work for.

Good job to start out with

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Akron, OH

I worked at Subway part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy tasks to fulfill while on the clock, made great friends with my co workers, pay raises, made great friends with my co workers.

Cons

While you're on your feet all day, it's really not that bad. You can get really annoyed at some of the customers you wait on (they either expect you to know what they want or they just point..)
    It's a very routine job, same thing daily.

There needs to be rewards for workers, say they did something excellent (maybe helped a customer carry the food to the table?) the worker needs to be praised for going up and above what is expected.

It's a fun place to work, a good job for younger people.

I worked at Subway

Pros

It's probably the easiest job I've ever had. It is good for younger people because it doesn't require that many skills. It really helped me come out of my shell. I used to not want to talk to strangers but after working at Subway it's not a big deal.

Cons

If your management is poor then it can be hard. We had a management switch while I was working and the second manager had no clue what they were doing. I had to train them like you'd train a new person.

Mostly depends on the team you work with...

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Joliet, IL

I worked at Subway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Like I said, it depends on coworkers. I was lucky and had mostly awesome coworkers. We were close, like a family. It was always sad when someone left, but they always came back to visit! I still do. Then you get the regular customers, and they become part of the family too. It's easy to laugh and have a good time. My district manager was really cool too, she worked with me when I needed more hours, or a day(or even a week) off. Its easy to move up, although I didn't get to, but my friend went from sandwich artist to supervisor to manager in a couple months! (Though she'd been working there for a few years I believe.) all in all its a fairly easy job- just have some common sense... Some people don't..

Cons

Again, it depends on the crew. We definitely had plenty of drama. What sucked is one of the managers was the main problem! (Managers switched from store to store a lot) she pretended to be nice, and I always respected her, then after she left, i was informed that she constantly talked about me behind my back! She was 28 years old! I was 16! I mean come on. Then some customers... Oh boy. It's hilarious how worked up people get over sandwiches. I've been cussed at, screamed at, and had things thrown at me. All because we weren't participating in $3 6inch special. Or because we wouldn't take any bill over a $20. Or because I checked a $20. Rediculous. Honestly the biggest con is the customers. Not worth minimum wage.

To management, install video cameras with sound, and get rid of the a holes who are just rude and snobby. Or at least demote them and make them really work. Some managers just sit in their office all day playing on their phones. Pay attention and care for your employees, because in the end, without them, you don't make money.

To potential employees, bite your tounge. Some customers can really ruin your day, but it ticks them off more if you smile and scream have a nice day, rather than give them attitude and risk your job. And talk to some trusted management if you have a problem. As I said, my dm was more trustworthy than my manager.

Fun but tiring.

I worked at Subway part-time

Pros

The manager was great and was very easy to get along with and was understanding. People were generally friendly and were there to help if needed.

Cons

It's slightly difficult to get the hang of things and there is basically no training so you have to learn how to do everything on your feet.

Going on 7 years

I have been working at Subway

Pros

Can build time management and multitasking skills, leadership, people skills

Cons

Mean customers, sometime bad coworkers, low pay

Some of the equipment need to be revised like the salad chopper hurts workers wrists

My experience at subway was unique.

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in New Stanton, PA
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in New Stanton, PA

I worked at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work there was because I got to meet some amazing people and learned very good work ethics.

Cons

Challenges of working here we're having to work the night shift.

I think the company could improve by having more people on duty during busy hours.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Crew Lead in McCordsville, IN
    Former Employee - Crew Lead in McCordsville, IN

I worked at Subway part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and friendly management

Cons

Not very many opportunities for advancement