Subway Reviews

Reset
3.1
Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • Good coworkers & almost free food (in 98 reviews)

• For the most part very flexible hours (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Usually just minimum wage for pay (in 99 reviews)

• cleaning, not much room for advancement - stuck at minimum wage indefinitely (in 19 reviews)

1,916 Employee Reviews

1. It's A Living

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Hudson, NC
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Hudson, NC

I have been working at Subway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job (in my personal experience) was very easy; you are essentially Sandwich Artist Lv. 2, performing all the duties of the entry level position while also receiving a few added responsibilities (opening/closing the store, handling the money more closely, taking inventory etc.) with the added perk of being in charge of your fellow employees and being thus able to delegate tasks to them (do not let this power go to your head).

Cons

I genuinely cannot list any, all complaints I have are in regards to the management of my store and were resolved organically.

Advice to Management

Stay cool.

2. Great Job for High School/College Student

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at Subway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- My manager was very accommodating/understanding to my work schedule. Sometimes I would get swamped with projects in school, and as long as I could find a replacement I could call off. - You learn the strengths of your coworkers (like who is faster at cutting bread, putting the veggies, or working the register), which allows you to find the best way to work quickly and efficiently as a team. - You will learn to have patience if you don't already. Of course you will always encounter the rude, annoying, and mean customers regardless of how nice you are no matter where you work, but you'd be surprised how crazy some people can get over a sub.. or even a free cookie! - When I first worked there, we got a 6inch sub meal for free (only when we were working). After 6 months, management changed the rule and we only got 50% off. Yes that's still an amazing deal, but nothing beats completely free hahah.

Cons

Don't really have any legitimate cons... just some small nit-picky things that aren't much to complain about. For example, it's always hot cause you're in front of the ovens. As a college student, I would sometimes have to work in the morning right before classes. Because of the lack of time, I wouldn't be able to shower and would smell like "Subway" or the classic bread smell all day haha.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing well. When I worked there, we were required to go to company meetings I believe every month or so. While at times they seemed boring and pointless (even though yes they did have a purpose), it showed the professionalism of the company.

3. It's A Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Cave Creek, AZ
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Cave Creek, AZ

Pros

Friendly Co-Workers Good pay compared to most other fast food jobs understanding owners Friendly regulars Discount on food Paid break

Cons

It's a fast paced environment, especially during lunchtime.

5. Sandwich Artist

Former Employee - Alumni Representative in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Alumni Representative in O'Fallon, MO

Pros

Easy job was free food benefits.

Cons

The bosses are easy to annoy.

Advice to Management

More accountability.

6. Easy job, Friendly Staff, Little amount of hours.

Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Coeur d'Alene, ID

Pros

Friendly, Fun, Easy, Healthy, Nice and understanding customers and managers, Opportunities for raises

Cons

Little Amount of Hours, slow at times, rushed at other times, crowded work area

Advice to Management

More Hours

7. Subway for 5 years

Former Employee - Everything in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Everything in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Subway (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has a positive impact on your diet. This job does require alot of teamwork, so you really get to know your co-workers and become friends with them outside of work..

Cons

it can get crazy depending on how many people are working that shift. At where i worked, if its just 2 people working and a rush comes in. it can lead to a line out the door and a huge mess. But i've seen subways in the downtown are that has 5 workers at once. Si it really depends on your store.

Advice to Management

Nothing. At my store it was mainly employee ran as i was the Manager/Sandwich Artist.

8. Sandwich Artist

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Springfield, MA

Pros

- Coworkers are amazing and friendly - Nice environment and atmosphere to work in - The owner is super awesome. (He is an Indian) - Overall good experience during shift

Cons

- Rude Customers - Big Lines - Sometimes heavy workload

Advice to Management

I really like the whole Subway shop I work in. I would love to continue working at Subway for a while. Just be in mind with angry customers due to limited promotions. I think the promotions are very bad because there are limited time. Like the $3 subs select are annoying because people get confused and ask for a steak and cheese for 3 bucks. I mean are you crazy!

9. Unit Manager (Store Manager)

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Salem, OH
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Salem, OH

I have been working at Subway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment with the right people. Grow relationships with the regulars who come in almost everyday. Owners put a lot of trust and reliability into their employees. Get to write the schedule. Have bonuses every quarter depending on your labor and food cost, sales, and evaluation scores. Closed on major holidays. Form a great relationship with staff. Free 6" inch of your choice, chips or one cookie, and unlimited small fountain drinks with any shift.

Cons

Pay is not high enough for the amount of stress you deal with. On calls normally get used everyday. No proper breaks for any shift, unless you are a minor. Get evaluated every month by an inspector from Subway. Most employees do not care about their job. Hours vary depending on what position you are. Long shifts for management. Required to work weekends and cover shifts if you have no one. Days off aren't really days off when you are the manager.

Advice to Management

Reward good employees more and stop rewarding mediocre, or even bad employees. Pay should be hire with the amount of stress, work, and issues the managers have to deal with on a daily basis. Should get at least a 15 minute, sit down break if working 8 or more hours.

10. artist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Columbus, OH

I have been working at Subway part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most subway are very friendly and getting free subs during a break is a perk. Also the sandwich's become really easy to make and typically never change at any subway. Getting the hours you want is easy if you work hard.

Cons

People are not always fun to work with like any job, also customers can be a pain. Closing becomes harsh if near college towns. Typically alone for most of the night.

Advice to Management

Work harder on keeping staff with uniform as well as language.

11. Owner

Current Employee - Owner in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Owner in Escondido, CA

Pros

Management really cares about ppl

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep employees number one priority for great results

Showing 1,916 of 1,925 reviews