Subway Reviews

3.1
1,098 Reviews

Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 90 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 90 reviews)

• You don't get paid much above minimum wage, and there is not much room for advancement (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfying and Challenging Every Shift

Current Employee - Closer  in  South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Closer in South Florida, FL

I have been working at Subway part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's awesome to talk to the customers. I've met a lot of great people just in the time it takes to make a sandwich. Every day it was nice being able to meet new people. Getting to know your co-workers was a great experience as well and even the people you don't like working with you'll grow to like once you go through a huge rush with them. There was a great sense of teamwork everyone tried to help each other. Pay wasn't great but with the addition of tips and a bonus if the store did well it would even out to about 9.50/hr if the store was busy. You can learn a lot from working here you don't think you could learn in a food service job.

Cons

Very hard work for closers and openers. Didn't really get breaks due to working by yourself. If mid shift people don't complete their work it falls to closers or openers. Can screw up your sleep schedule pretty bad. No help in later shifts so if it got busy I would be stuck work an extra hour and half to clean up. No way to really move up the latter and not even signs of a raise.

Take care of the people who work for you and stick with you. Find a way to give them scheduled breaks and compensate them for working a long time at your store.

fine for teenagers

Former Employee - Subway Shift Manager  in  Westmont, IL
    Former Employee - Subway Shift Manager in Westmont, IL

I worked at Subway full-time for less than a year

Pros

good place to work for students

Cons

Pooly trained employees don't know what is team work

Subway online quizzes are not the best idea

Great times, fast foods

I have been working at Subway

Pros

got to smoke every damming day

Cons

Customer people always nagging and stuff

dictionaries

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked for Subway five years.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Albemarle, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Albemarle, NC

I worked at Subway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility of scheduling. Stores feel like a "family". Bonuses, when your store makes labor or food cost. Vacation time. Super easy work. Meeting lots of people, and even some celebrities. Easy to move up in the company. I went from a Sandwich Artist to a Store Manager within 3 years, then started dual managing two store a year later. Pay is pretty good, at least for management.

I'm sure all pros and cons really depend on the franchise you work for, though.

Cons

Making bonuses (payroll & food cost) is very hard at some stores. Especially the low-volume stores. Difficult customers who want more this, more that, and then even more this, and more that and they end up getting irritated because you're putting 3 or 6 on their sub of whatever it is at one time, each time they ask.

Don't get rid of your best employee, who was dedicated to the success of your company, who was willing to (and always did) travel HOURS away to work several different locations in the mountains, when nobody else would... just because of something small that wouldn't hinder your business or your dollars. Have you never heard of counseling? I'm sure nobody in your franchise bends over backwards for the company like I did.

Love it!

I have been working at Subway

Pros

Easy work, get along with almost everyone, got to know all the customers. I've been with Subway 5 yrs through college, and I've always been happy with them.

Cons

Like any other place in the food industry, there can be high turnover.

Great experience at subway.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Subway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interacting with different people daily. Putting a smile on peoples face is what makes my day better.

Cons

Some of the challenges to me personal is the company as whole being able to keep things on one page. Sometimes its like as a whole everyone are still on different pages.

Being a manager is hard work. But one you get the paperwork part together and learn things out about your store it gets easier. I'm the type of manager that stays on top of things 24/7 so I try to keep most important my customers happy by not running out of any product. And of course my team you cant run a company without good quality people standing behind you.

Can be fun but too many things to do in so little time.

Current Employee - Senior Sandwich Artist  in  Moreno Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sandwich Artist in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at Subway part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, close relationship with co-workers, co-workers are more than willing to help one another, discount, if you ask for more hours they will give it to you if you work hard

Cons

As little workers possible per shift, little time to do many tasks, unfair owners, several superiors tell you different things, owners show favoritism towards their own ethnicity

All the superiors have different opinions or regulation about different procedures and this only causes confusion. All of you should teach the same thing, not here different things from different superiors.

Cashier

I have been working at Subway part-time

Pros

flexible schedule
    great management
    It is a great part time job to hold
    It is not that fast paced compared to other fast food jobs
    food is healthy

Cons

Pay is minimum
    Managers are incompetent
    It is not a job you would want to wok for the rest of your life
    There are not many opportunities for advancement

Cleaner than most fast food restaurants.

Current Employee - Food Service Worker  in  Fort Knox, KY
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Fort Knox, KY

I have been working at Subway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pros:
    -You don't get off work covered in and smelling like grease like you would at McDonald's.
    -Sandwiches are easy to assemble, cleaning is generally minimal.

Cons

Cons:
    -My personal negative experience was one manager and some co-workers. Let's just say that some people retain "excellent customer service training" and others do not. It's all about how the team works as a whole.

-Be patient with your employees, if you train them well and teach them in a kind way then they are more apt to work harder to please you.
    -Golden Rule: Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Don't Expect Too Much Other than a Steady Paycheck

Current Employee - Shift Manager  in  Buford, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Buford, GA

I have been working at Subway part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-flexible schedule, depending on the owner
    -learn a lot about the customer service business
    -easy, depending on the rest of the team
    -everything is at the discretion of the franchisee/owner

Cons

-extremely difficult to get pay increased, depending on owner
    -difficult to rise through the ranks, depending on owner
    -rude/demanding customers
    -could get stuck with lazy co workers
    -no benefits besides bi weekly paycheck
    -everything is at the discretion of the franchisee/owner

Please give store franchisees more incentive to reward their best and most loyal employees with better pay and quicker advancement

Worked for Subway? Contribute to the Community!