Subway Reviews

1438 reviews filtered by
1,438 Reviews
Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 98 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 99 reviews)

• You don't get paid much above minimum wage, and there is not much room for advancement (in 19 reviews)

1. Good company that takes decent care of workers. Benefits of being here is the environment you're in.

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in La Quinta Colonia, TX
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in La Quinta Colonia, TX

I have been working at Subway

Pros

-Good tips
    -Good management (varies by location)
    -Company takes care of workers.

Cons

-Hours can be difficult to have.
    -Benefits lacking but not to the fault of management

Thanks for having me, it was the best part time job i've had so far. Better communication within the management and employees would be better for future employees.

2. Working at Subway in Eau Claire

I have been working at Subway

Pros

Owners will work with your schedule, if you work there long enough and do a good job.

Cons

Raises are infrequent and typically much smaller than what you request.

3. cashier cook

Former Employee - Line Cook in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Arvada, CO

I worked at Subway part-time (more than a year)

Pros

good people and employees. employee meals

Cons

low pay, poor quality toppings, busy understaffed

pay people more

5. Shift Manager

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Subway

Pros

Honestly can't think of any pros

Cons

There is no room for growth.

6. Enjoyable work environment, but could pay better and scheduling is odd.

Former Employee - Manager in Oswego, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Oswego, NY

I worked at Subway

Pros

I love helping people so waiting on customers all day was good. I loved that this job kept me busy. Got on well with management & co-workers.

Cons

They don't give 40 hours a week to anyone, even the top employees. I was told that legally 36 hours per week is considered full time, so that's about how many I was working as a store manager.
    Upon becoming manager I was also told what responsibilities I would be taking on, and what ones would be left to the owner. I wound up automatically assuming responsibility of some of the latter and compensation never quite caught up. I barely made more than minimum wage upon leaving and had been there several years. Shifts were uncertain as we were trained to leave/send people home early if business slowed.

Yes, your company has a high turn over rate. But some of your workers stick around a while, are worth hanging onto if possible, and need to earn a living. Finding a way to keep track of those employees and give them more incentive to stay could really benefit you.

7. Good highschool job

Current Employee - Subway in Cape Girardeau, MO
    Current Employee - Subway in Cape Girardeau, MO

I have been working at Subway

Pros

Fun people, easy job, free food, security

Cons

No raises, unreliable management, drama

8. Active, low-paying part-time work. Good first job but no benefits or advancement opportunities + inconsistent schedules.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Subway part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can get days off whenever you want, within reason; you just have to ask for them in advance. Standard employees usually get 2 days off per week, though those days may be random or change every week.

Work is relatively easy once you're trained, but moves at a fast pace if you work during the daytime because it's busy. Perfect if you like being active.

You get to eat a free lunch on days you work. The employee discount is really good; you can get a footlong for like $3, but only at the store you work at.

Cons

Inconsistent scheduling is an annoyance. Days you're scheduled to work change weekly and you only know your schedule a week in advance.

All employees except the manager position are part-time only, so there are no benefits or overtime offered.

Dealing with rude customers is a normal, everyday occurrence. You need to have a thick skin to work here; customers will storm out or yell at you for everything from putting "too much sauce" when you put the correct amount, putting "not enough veggies" when Subway only allows us to put a certain amount, or because the prices of the sandwiches went up so there's no longer $5 footlongs (which Subway employees don't control, so it makes no sense to take it out on them; would make more sense to complain to corporate management), or heck, simply because you looked at them wrong! It definitely wears you down, but it's typical of any job where you deal with the public.

Pay starts at hourly minimum wage, but once you've been there for awhile you'll receive .10/hour raises every few months.

High turnover rate. New employees have quit or been fired after a few days/weeks, so you'll frequently be training or having to get to know new people, which can be exhausting.

Subway has the tendency to fire people without warning them properly, but if you work hard and watch what you say (employees and customers have a tendency to gossip, so word will get around if you say something off-color about the job, your manager, or another employee), you have nothing to worry about. Really it just depends on your manager and what their tolerance level is.

You're on your feet all day, either moving around or standing. Sitting, even in the back, is usually not allowed unless everything is done and then you can sit on the floor. There are no official breaks.

The company gives little to no recognition or reward for loyal, hardworking employees. Outside of personal motivation/standards, employees have no reason/incentive to work hard for and be loyal to Subway. There are zero opportunities for advancement past a certain point. You're either an employee or a manager. The mid level would be the employees who open the store.; they get the most hours and supervise/train other employees. Technically there IS an assistant manager position, but it's just a title; they do more work but receive no extra pay or benefits.

You will often be called in to cover other employees' shifts on your days off or to stay past your shift if they don't/can't/won't show up. You do always have the option of saying no, though it may be uncomfortable to do so; I've never been FORCED to work an extra shift, and sometimes it's nice to have the option if you need extra money. But be warned: if you constantly agree to cover for people, you'll quickly find yourself being taken advantage of.

I think you should provide more recognition and rewards for loyal, hardworking senior employees. For example, giving an extra raise after an employee has been with the company for a certain amount of time, such as a year, to give them an incentive to keep working hard and feel a sense of accomplishment in what they've done. Maybe even adding a small embellishment to their name tag like a badge that says how many years they've been with the company would be nice. It sounds insignificant, but would give employees a sense of pride in their job, make them feel more like a recognized, valued individual instead of a disposable employee. I think it would improve morale and lower turnover rates.

Similarly, I think there should be more opportunities for advancement, or at least information provided on how to get on track to become a manager. Many employees have higher ambitions and aren't satisfied with remaining at an entry-level position forever. They would be less likely to seek employment elsewhere if they were made aware of higher opportunities that were available.

I personally have seen good employees leave Subway for better, higher-paying jobs with more benefits because of the two reasons I listed above. It's human nature to desire growth, both personal and career-wise. I think Subway could adapt to reflect that.

Ugh it was ugh ya know kind of ugh I guess but maybe it would have been kind of I think it was pretty ya know someday

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Bon, AZ
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Bon, AZ

I worked at Subway part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Still ugh I guess unless you want to bd a sandwich artist sandwiches sandwiches blf NLT Bly Bly blf Bly Bly.

Cons

Sandwiches. Meatball. NLT. Veggie. Others that I can't remember. Pizzas that they called flat izzard which was weird of them.

Try to serve good food. And no filler in your meat. Geez I wonder what is in the meatballs,

Could be better

Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Ottumwa, IA
    Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Ottumwa, IA

I have been working at Subway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free sandwich every shift, full time and responsibilities. Nice coworkers and managers

Cons

Everything is very disorganized. I feel like I put in 200% and always have promises of raises and promotions and nothing ever happens. The turnover is so high and I understand why. I work my butt off and do not feel like it's worth it anymore.

Show the employees appreciation if they deserve it. If you promise a raise, give it. You will just keep running good employees away by working them to the bone with no reward.

11. good work

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Subway (less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment to work in

Cons

Can be monotonous at times