Subway

3.1
1,223 Reviews

Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 98 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 99 reviews)

• You don't get paid much above minimum wage, and there is not much room for advancement (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Fine if you have a good boss but horrible otherwise

Former Employee - Store Manager in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Athens, GA

I worked at Subway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cheap/ free food
    Some stores closed on holidays (not mine though)

Cons

Hours
    District Managers
    Subway Inspectors
    Not all stores must comply with company promotions

Make all your franchisees have the same prices and follow the same promotions

A really good paying job for a High School student

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Subway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Subway is a clean and good environment to work in that I've actually grown to love. This place would be recommended by me for anyone that loves people.

Cons

Baking 18 pans of bread is okay. But when it's a busy day and you have to make 36 it's not.

It would be amazing if Subway offered training handbooks to all job positions (In my case Shift Manager). Most of the stuff was taught by myself by glancing at the Subway Operations Manual.

Loved working here, worked at two stores at once. Shift leader. My manager at my main store was very unprofessional.

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Subway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co workers, GOOD hours, dress code is nice, no tucking in your shirt or button ups. Easy. Easy to advance.

Cons

Manager was unprofessional, didn't get my pay raise when I became a shift leader. They hire just about anyone.

The main store I worked at had a very unprofessional manager, the second store I worked at part time had a very good manager.

I love it!

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Billings, MT

I have been working at Subway

Pros

I feel like my manager truly cares about how the workers are doing in our store; it really affects how eager someone is to work and I'm never miserable at my job. It's an easy to learn, sometimes fast-paced job that keeps you on your toes. With working here, you can really talk to customers and have a decent conversation which helps the work day flow much better.

And the food! ❤

Cons

As I said, it can be very fast-paced. We get a handful of tour buses packed with +40 people a handful of times through the month. If you don't work well with people, this isn't a job I'd recommend for you. A large majority of it is just talking to people and having them enjoy their visit as they get their food quickly. It tends to pay lower than most but there's very often advancement opportunities.

Stop "simplifying" the menu and raising prices, Subway is definitely losing customers since there's only ONE five dollar foot long.

Not bad for a first/side job

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy, laid back environment. You do everything from making sandwiches to scrubbing toilets. The store is easy to learn and there are posters with guides on how to do everything. I learned everything in about a month. Lunch time is usually packed but goes by pretty smoothly and quick for the most part. The only way this job would be hard is if you're super lazy and don't know how to ask questions about what the customer wants to ensure satisfaction. Our company allows us half off one sandwich per day that you work. We also get tipped, on a good day I'll leave with about $15 - $20, normally it's $5 - $10 cash. The change that people throw in there really adds up, especially when you only have to split it with one other person. Managers don't collect tip.

Cons

Lots of down time, so expect some short shifts. Some days you might even be asked to leave early. Depends on the location and owner. Most kids working there are, well, kids. Usually in or fresh out of high school. High turnover rate. Pay isn't that great. Usually minimum wage, and out of the 2 years I've been here I've only gotten a $0.25 raise. Expect picky customers i.e. "those tomatoes are too white; you're too skimpy on veggies; not enough meat, etc., etc..." Also, Subway has a "Subway University" program that teaches you how to do things around the store but too many managers rely on just using that for training.

Subway U is a good learning tool but I don't think it should be mandatory, and you should have managers train on hands instead of just a computer screen.

Decent first gig. Management is hit or miss

I worked at Subway

Pros

Employees tend to be very friendly people. Work isn't really that hard but that really depends on the location. If you need some pocket money for high school it isn't bad.

Cons

Managers can let the power get to their heads. If the location sucks then it can get boring fast.

None. The sandwiches are still good.

A great job to start you out

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denton, TX

I have been working at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always felt comfortable with management and other employees. You can make a free meal after a few hours of work and free drinks.

Cons

I honestly have to say that the only real cons that I have here are that there's no where for us to sit and customers can be annoying/feign ignorance.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Hubert, NC
    Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Hubert, NC

I have been working at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly managers, friendly co-workers, the job itself is a little eh, but the people around you definitely make it worth it. You get a raise after 3 months and it's definitely an easy task to do.

Cons

It sucks being the opener or closer, but it's not unbearable. Honestly, aside from the hours cut during holiday season, I've nothing bad to say.

None. All my managers are willing to work with schedules and always use positive reinforcement. I'm very thankful and consider myself lucky to have the managers I have.

Slightly better than typical fast food job

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in South Kingstown, RI
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in South Kingstown, RI

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at Burger King before moving to Subway, so I noticed a definite increase in a few things such as cleanliness, smell (although there was still a Subway smell), and independence. I liked working without a manager breathing down my neck, but obviously every culture here is going to be different store to store. Ultimately a good part-time job if you're a student, but after that, get out of here.

Cons

Boring after a while, don't feel challenged, have to eat Subway every stinking day, no room to grow

Treat your employees better.

Great company with a great work atmosphere!

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a sandwich artist and it was my first job. I learned how to be professional, have fun at work, and learned a lot about how a company grows and works. I believe my manager helped a lot with that!

Cons

You don't have much opportunities to grow when you are a 16 year old, but if you stick with it for a few years, you can be promoted! I don't have many cons!