Subway Reviews

Reset
2.0
Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • Good coworkers & almost free food (in 98 reviews)

• For the most part very flexible hours (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Usually just minimum wage for pay (in 99 reviews)

• cleaning, not much room for advancement - stuck at minimum wage indefinitely (in 19 reviews)

1. store manager

Former Freelancer - Disability Health Care Aid in Jarrettsville, MD
    Former Freelancer - Disability Health Care Aid in Jarrettsville, MD

I worked at Subway (More than a year)

Pros

Working in customer service knowing I was making the guests happy no matter what.

Cons

Untrustworthy, illegally underpaid always felt belittled overworked lost touch with my family and reality.

Advice to Management

To owner. TRUST and Respect are the first things you need in your store mgmt in order to run a happy healthy successful business.

2. It's not worth it to work here

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Visalia, CA

I have been working at Subway part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make friends and interacts with the customers on a daily basis. This job can be rewarding in that sense.

Cons

Owner cut my hours by 10, I was singled out, and then lied to about being singled out.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Happy employees will make you more money. With more money comes more pay.

3. ...

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist

I worked at Subway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never will be bored. The free meal is a plus

Cons

They show favortism. Really hard to get a lot of hours. But when you do get more hours they will over work you. Depending who you work for they Are sexist. Most franchises will let manager take all the tips! And those will be the managers that hardly make any sandwiches

Advice to Management

Do not let managers take all the tips.

5. Subway Sandwich Artist

I worked at Subway full-time

Pros

Work inside. Clothes will usually smell nice. Free meal often meager but good. Regulars make the job moderately enjoyable.

Cons

Monotonous work. Leadership may lack experience and react ineffectively. Pay is low. Illegal/unethical business practices can easily occur and result in termination of employees if local management is called on the carpet. Basically no room to grow but will learn basic teambuilding.

Advice to Management

Aim for young and inexperienced employees. Sell as ideal first job. Increase pay and recognition systems where possible. Follow up with employees occasionally. Unscheduled drug tests not a bad idea.

6. eh

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Subway (Less than a year)

Pros

They gave us free food. We were able to trade shifts if we needed. My boss was nice. SUBWAY has good food but its not fresh.

Cons

Subway, eat fresh, wrong... its not fresh. The food is old and stale. Even though we got free food I never ate it. it was bad for you and gross.

Advice to Management

You should keep your food fresh and your establishments cleaner than you do. The bathrooms were nasty and we were never asked to clean them by our manager.

7. I'm Assistant Manager and make $7.75/hour

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Robesonia, PA
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Robesonia, PA

I have been working at Subway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great to work with, and I love my regular customers. You get to know your customers and what goes on in their lives, and they appreciate that (especially the older ones who are alone).

Cons

You can be at a company for two years, and be the assistant manager, and you will only make $7.75 an hour. That's probably not a company-wide thing, just my boss being a cheapskate. Catering orders are pretty inconvenient, especially on your busy days.

Advice to Management

There should be more company-wide regulation of payment based on rank in the company. As in, all managers should get $10/hour to start out, assistant managers get $8.50/hour to start out, etc.

8. Subway expeiance

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist to Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist to Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Subway full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Daily meal, free soda ,work inside, customers are usally awsome its also a good feeling when you make someones day ,interaction with intersting people you can learn alot .It pays the bills and management can make pretty good money manager has excellent insurance

Cons

Way too many short cuts on sanitation my owners will make employees break health code and subway rules and let the manager and empoyees take the blame when they where just doing what they were told like changing tags ect.also in 9 years the owner never wore gloves when prepping food accept 1 time on rally day owner also did all the hireing and based it on race he let comments slip like "eastrern europeans are hard workers "and "black people are lazy " whenever he hired them in the past it didnt work out i"ts just how family traits are" and so on.. he would stop when hed see the look on my face .He said enough times just the same .And owners realitives got away with things no one else could which was bad for moral among hard working employees And as a salry memberI worked way over 40 hrs a week usually 50 never had time to go to the doctor

Advice to Management

Have coperate look at the cameras its all there and DON'T LET OWNERS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU OR THE OTHER EMPLOYEES .CARE MORE ABOUT DOING THINGS RIGHT AND LESS ABOUT IMPRESSING COORPERATE .HAPPY EMPLOYEES MAKE HAPPY CUSTOMERS

9. Decent filler job while in school.

Pros

The people were decent, eligible for tips, shifts went pretty quickly.

Cons

The store I worked at was VERY busy and never had enough people; I blame upper management for that. Because of small stuff scheduling was very inflexible, you were often asked not to request days day off or outright denied. Pay sucked, too much work for too little money; that's to be expected in fast food though.

10. Bad Experience.

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist

I worked at Subway (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't have anything good to day about this company, except that I loved the people that I worked with.

Cons

They don't care about there employees, I only got one raise for the 3 years I was there. A lot of health code violations as well to the point where I can no longer step foot or even eat at another subway again. Management was so unprofessional on numerous occasions. I don't wish this job on anyone and couldn't have been happier when I left.

Advice to Management

Start being professional and value your employees. They do a lot for you. Without them, you wouldn't be able to run the stores and company to what it is today.

11. Sandwich Artist

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Verona, WI
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Verona, WI

Pros

The coworkers, ease of job, task variation

Cons

Boring, stingy management, and poor compensation

Showing 304 of 1,925 reviews