Subway Reviews

1478 reviews filtered by
1,478 Reviews
Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 98 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 99 reviews)

• You don't get paid much above minimum wage, and there is not much room for advancement (in 19 reviews)

1. good first job

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Subway

Pros

they work with your school schedule

Cons

rude customers and stressful when a lot of customers show up and there is only two employees

Advice to Management

rotate holidays and weekends with employees

2. Horrible!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Subway

Pros

You can get a free 6 inch sub every 4hrs & soda but from a small plastic cup.

Cons

No break you have to find some time to eat, rude customers, a lot of pressure on the first day, have to learn everything quickly.

Advice to Management

Dont put so much pressure on the first day!

3. manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Abilene, TX

I worked at Subway

Pros

Made my own hours, had the operrunity to build relationships with great customers and employees.

Cons

Micro managed to death and you are never good enough.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone to the same standards not just the ones you expect it from.

5. low pay, high demand, little praise, worked f/t hours as a part timer without being offered benefits

I worked at Subway part-time

Pros

Some parts of the job are enjoyable. Like making beautiful looking sandwiches

Cons

Mostly everything else. Irresponsible employees who don't respect the schedule or others, too little pay for as much workload

Advice to Management

Give newcomers more than one tee-shirt & apron. Nobody can afford to do laundry everyday on that kind of minimum wage pay

6. I was manager of a busy store and had to step down it was a very humbling experience. iam now a supervisor.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Subway full-time

Pros

The people I love my customers!! And iam good at what i do. I get my guest in and out with a smile.

Cons

Not enough crew members. Subway goes by units of sales but expects the store to be in order. The night crew has alot on their plate. Also the pay i mean really, the owner I worked for has seven stores and four maanger have been there for four plus years and still making 11.00 an hour , no perks, benifits, no promise of a quarterly evaluation. I know supervisors that have been with company seven years still making 9.50 . Work hard pay less . I had put so much of my personal money ,my heart and soul into my work and never got the thank you.

Advice to Management

Award all your employees please. The owner i work for let's management have a free meal and a Christmas bonus does lunch once in awhile with them but what about everyone else busting their butts.

7. Minimum wage pay, for slaves work.

Former Employee - Sandwhich Artist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sandwhich Artist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Subway full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Food at reduced price, customers are pretty laid back being a college area, some employees.

Cons

Pay is not worth the work, no sick days, no personal days, sexist, unprofessional, racist, deductions to paycheck, just a very sketchy company. You can't even fully trust your managers.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate everything! Seen employees juggling school, extracurricular and family let go because they prioritiEd school over work. Managers lied on employees and threatened to fire them. Really get to know who you are putting in charge because there is an abuse of power. Sick days also should be allowed because having someone get a doctors note every time they catch a cold, or food sickness is ridiculous and costs them money. Managers promise raises after some time and work, but do not put in paperwork and string you aling to get work done. Managers were constantly in the phone sitting in office in front of security canners watching while one-two employees struggled with hours of lunch rush only to emerge once it slowed down. Female employees were left alone to close alone long before 7pm. Was bothered and stalked by many sketchy customers after hours when left alone.

8. $5 Footlongs!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raytown, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raytown, MO

I worked at Subway

Pros

Working for Subway was great as far the pay increase opportunities, free subs, and the coworkers that were a lot of fun to work with.

Cons

Very poor management and a lot of horrible customers.

Advice to Management

Get managers that can actually work with employees, run stores, and that will actually work their shifts.

9. It's a paycheck.

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist in Auburn, WA

I worked at Subway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get a tip jar, a free lunch, free online training, free uniform. You get to feed people and hopefully make them smile, if you're into that. It is customer service after all.

Cons

No benefits. No paid time off, no health insurance.

You get paid minimum wage or not much more than minimum wage. Most of my coworkers are paid so little, they qualify for food stamps, section eight housing, medicaid, must have a second job, because this is not a career. Do not expect to support yourself let alone your family from working here.

No guarantee of hours. You won't get fired, you will just stop being scheduled so you cannot collect unemployment insurance. That is, if you get enough hours to begin with to be able to qualify for unemployment, if you happen to cross that bridge.

Not enough employees on staff. On slow days only one person is on staff and breaks and lunches become a thing you do if there are no customers to help. And don't even think about having to go to the bathroom, you only have the options of either waiting for all the customers to leave so you can lock the front door before you pee, or risk having someone come in and stealing something while you are in the bathroom. Oh and don't get sick either because you will still be expected to come to work, and get guilt tripped into doing so by being told the store will have to be closed because no one can come in to cover your shift. Oh and the scariest part is the robberies. Need I even explain that.

Advice to Management

Have more employees on staff.
    Have more employees available to cover shifts.

10. Worst job experience I have ever had

Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Van Buren, AR
    Current Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Van Buren, AR

I have been working at Subway part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free food after your shift which is nice when you work for 8hours without a break.

Cons

Like I said no breaks. You dont get paid for your "sandwich artist 2.0" training even though I did 3 hours of it my first day. And come on Subway I think this company makes enough money to not charge the employees $20 for their uniform when they only make minimum wage. This company is ridiculous.

Worthless job

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Subway

Pros

discounted sandwiches at the location you work at

Cons

Poor management
    Poor compensation
    No growth opportunities
    Harsh work conditions
    No breaks
    No benefits
    Coworker attitudes depressing
    Random schedules
    No one shows up for work or on time

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves