Subway

Subway Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Subway President Fred DeLuca

Fred DeLuca

Pros:
  • "On top of that, free food during breaks will save you some dollars on groceries as well"
    in 73 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, boss will work with you to create a good schedule"
    in 54 reviews
Cons:
  • "cleaning, not much room for advancement - stuck at minimum wage indefinitely"
    in 69 reviews
  • "You don't get paid much above minimum wage, and there is not much room for advancement"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worked to death for minimum wage.

Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Subway part-time for more than a year

ProsFree sandwiches, free beverages, free restrooms

ConsSandwiches get old after a while

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better

Bad Management

Manager (Current Employee)
East Providence, RI

I have been working at Subway full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was good for a while. The only reason I'm here is that I can't find anything else. Employees can be good that is if management let's you hire your own.

ConsEvery store is owned by different owners. You begin to hate people working for Subway. It was good for a while but bad issues with bosses with micromanage make it impossible to run a store and slowly stripping away from any responsibilities. Corporate policies come from people who know nothing. Food is horrible for what they charge.

Hard work for 7.50

Sandwich Artist (Current Employee)
Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Subway part-time for more than a year

Prosflexible hours, discounts on food

Consextremely corporate, and lots of hard work for a very low paying job

Unprofessional

Subway Sandwhich Artist (Former Employee)
Gresham, OR

I worked at Subway full-time for less than a year

Prosthe only thing that is a pro is free sandwiches other then that there are no pro's.

ConsUnprofessional management, dirty, crappy hours, retain gross sandwich smell, terrible work schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't yell at employees motivate them.

The worst

Server (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Subway full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAre you kidding me this company sucks?

ConsSweatshop. No smiles to be found.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandards. Labour standards.

Terrible management!

Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Subway part-time for less than a year

ProsFree sandwich for lunch depending on the length of your shift.. Could be fun depending on where you work and the people in the area

ConsManagement was absolutely terrible, as a student will clearly set hours of availability (and unavailability), i was continually scheduled during my classes, management didn't speak English to other managers while in the stores (Portuguese), no tips were allowed so the pay was subpar.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak English, store managers should help when there is a line out the door and not sit and talk on the phone with other managers, and learn how to schedule around workers set availability.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Gets the bills out of the way

Cashier (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Subway as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNone really. I worked for some money to pay the bills and it got the job done. No way to climb the ladder. I guess this is what people are looking for as a student job.

ConsBoring, drunkards come in too often, the bread baking now makes me sick. I can smell a Subway a mile away now.

The worst job anyone can have.

I have been working at Subway

Pros50 percent off food, and easy cheap food that looks better if it was fresh and wasn't from prepackaged bags.

ConsHorrible management, Rude customers, No respect to when you can and can't work, and no chances for promotions or raises, and no air conditioning.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employes with respect and give them better pay.

Terrible management and employees

Sandwich Artist (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Subway part-time for less than a year

ProsI get a free six inch every day, which is literally the only reason I keep working there.

ConsI started at "full time" 35 hours a week, and was slowly brought down to 15 hours a week, still "full time" according to management. I ask for more hours on a daily basis, and despite having 15+ locations, they can't find any more for me. In addition, they continue to hire new people, instead of giving their employees more hours.
To be specific, their non-Bangladeshi employees.
90% of the company moved over to Atlanta from Bangladesh, and unless you're one of them, you will NOT get promoted, or a raise, or sufficient hours. I would NOT recommend this company if you're simply looking for a job.
If you are Bangladeshi, I'd definitely recommend it, You'll get 70+ hours a week (with overtime pay), promotions within the first few months of working there, and raises are readily available.

The chain of stores do not follow the Subway manual, and violate a good number of policies, including throwing out yesterday's bread, and simply re-labeling food in the foodwell that didn't sell in the past couple of days.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be racist. Don't tell people you're not hiring when you'll bring in another one of your family/friends on a weekly basis, instead of giving current employees more hours. Be willing to offer a raise past minimum wage to basic employees who've worked there for 1+ years.

Horrible Workplace

Moses Lake, WA

I worked at Subway part-time for less than a year

ProsDiscounts on food was good.

ConsI had to deal with a horrible supervisor, she yelled at me all the time. And we had to do drive-thru while making sandwiches...totally stupid!

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your store managers a little more; and take care of your employees better.

Worked for Subway? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Subway reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Subway CEO Fred DeLuca. All 823 reviews posted anonymously by Subway employees.