Subway

3.1
1,234 Reviews

Subway President Fred DeLuca
Fred DeLuca

Pros
  • At the right franchise you will get free food which is a huge bonus if you're making subway wages (in 98 reviews)

• Flexible hours if you are up front right away about what you need (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • They want you to work for minimum wage while being given more and more responsibility (in 99 reviews)

• You don't get paid much above minimum wage, and there is not much room for advancement (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great College Job

Former Employee - Supervisor in Clarkston, WA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Clarkston, WA

I worked at Subway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pace of the job was great to get your mind off the fact you were at work.

Cons

The low pay of working in this industry is an obvious con.

Perhaps more upper management communication with the stores would be of benefit.

Good for students

I have been working at Subway

Pros

Very flexible schedule. And 50% off your lunch...

Cons

Can't get promoted or anything.

Do some real management

Not enough hours

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist

I worked at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free meals and it is very fast paced. I also like the people who I was working with.

Cons

I did not have a schedule to go to work. My manager had to text me when to cone to work, and sometimes I would be working only one day out of the week. Pay was bad and I needed the money.

Everyone should have schedules

Great people

I have been working at Subway

Pros

People, locations, mobility, culture, food

Cons

Hours, wages, and frequency

I loved working here

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist

I have been working at Subway

Pros

Pretty good pay and good hours

Cons

Baking bread on very busy days

Poor Work Environment and Work/Life Balance

I worked at Subway

Pros

Summer hours: unfortunately these are a "privilege" and are not set in stone - could be removed at anytime.
    Co-workers: Absolutely amazing group of people to work with both in the office and out in the field.

Cons

Upper Management: No trust, insane amount of micromanagement, clear lack of respect for their employees and does not value them or the work they do for the company. Leave Policy: Was just reduced so the entire staff looses 2 full days. No Flexibility: if you run into insane traffic and end up being only 2 minutes late to work you get written up and the documentation is added to your personnel file. Does not value the safety of the employees in regards to travel in poor weather conditions; nor to those who have severe food allergies and has verbally acknowledged that they do not care about it and will not take proper precautions.

Show your employees that you value them, not through putting on parties but through vacation and flexibility. Allow it to become easier to be there for their families when needed and not be hassled about having to leave the office. At the end of the day our family is #1... not this company. Flex time during the day, trusting your employees, eliminate micromanagement, show the employees that you not only value them but also their safety.

Great for Students

Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Subway Sandwich Artist in Olympia, WA

I worked at Subway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible part time hours, they were always happy to work with me and accommodate my class schedule. My managers were always nice to me. The district manager trusted us enough to work out our own shift swaps, and were good about any feedback or issues we had.

Cons

The biggest thing I saw, the reason I never pushed for a promotion, was that I saw the benefits to being promoted- to shift leader or manager, as nothing compared to the added stress. Shift leaders- who would be asked to open the store and do morning inventory (they'd usually come around 5:30 or 6) and train new employees, would only see a $0.06 raise, and while the managers would receive a significant pay bump, I saw several cases where co-workers didn't receive their manager's bonus for months after getting the promotion- while assuming all the responsibilities of a manager.

Make sure to be straight with your employees- explain changes in policy, and if you promote someone, make sure that they get their benefits right away. Otherwise, you get unhappy staff, which then under perform or quit, and you gotta train someone else.

fun

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

it was fun working there

Cons

the pay was not good

none

It only went downhill from there

Former Employee - Sandwich Artist
    Former Employee - Sandwich Artist

I worked at Subway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free 6 in sandwich, chips, and drink every day. Some people were really dedicated workers and fun to work with.

Cons

Dealing with customers who want huge amounts of veggies on their sandwich and then getting your job threatened for high food costs. Bad management and filthy store beyond cleaning due to years of bad lazy employees and lack of authority. If something broke it wouldn't be fixed for a long time. Day shift never liked to finish their duties so it was always put on night shift. Night shift was always understaffed. The best people always quit. I was part-time and at one point I was working every night right after school until 10:30 leaving no room for homework.

Listen to the employees hours needs. Some people wanted to work more when I wanted to work less. Why couldn't that easy fix be fixed? Hire people accordingly. There's always someone looking for jobs. It's not the employees fault that people want a million veggies on their sandwich so don't threaten our jobs. Use more authority to get things done. Fix the drive thru problem. If we're understaffed there's no way we can take care of that.

Franchise good, corporate not so much.

Current Employee - Shift Lead
    Current Employee - Shift Lead

I have been working at Subway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Crew acted as work family
    Fast paced
    Good crew
    Free sandwich per shift
    Unlimited fountain drinks

Cons

Some slackers
    Can be stressful
    Free sandwich per shift--if you work 8 hours you get one 6" sub, if you work a 2 hour shift you also get one 6" sub

Be there for your crew